Dining-much Of What You Expect

Shops--manager And Staff--rude-rude-rude

Excursions--very High And What You Expect

Again--many Complaints On Manager

People Skills!!

Entertainment--shows Good--clubs--weak- Imho

More Later As Others Post Their Opinions

Frank

Thanks for your report. I've not been on a ship yet that didn't creak in rough seas. Just think of all the torquing that's going on. Glad the food was good. That's a very important part of a cruise, IMO. Bad food would really taint the overall experience for me. Thankfully, I've never had what I considered bad food on a cruise. Some better than others, sure ... but nothing that would keep me from gaining weight!

We will be on the Amsterdam May/June and I hope you will post more details about her.

How rough were the seas and did you get seasick? What was your cabin number in Cat A and do you wish you had booked an S-suite? You described some of the staff as rude--how did you respond or did you complain to ship management?

Happy to hear the positives about the food. After you catch up on reading these threads, you will understand why.

Hope you are having a wonderful day in Anniston. Been there many, many times. It is beautiful when the dogwoods and azaleas are in bloom; especially on Quintard and in the mountains.

Ship---in Fairness, Is Getting Old And Creaky--

Very Noisy During Medium Rough Seas!

Frank

Frank--

Thanks for posting - but this ship is only 5 years old!

Tho I agree - I experienced quite a bit of vibration - esp in rough seas from midship aft...

Not sure what was going on with the margins and caps!!

Seas were mostly 10-15 ft and realizing that this is not the vista class--it does move pretty good--we are not prone to seasickness but heard there were several--seas were never really bad!!

S suites were sold out very early--so no choice--but for the $$, veranda is fine for us--pretty low maintenance--

Now for the shops on the ship---remember this was my experience---

purchased some "stuff"--first day for 75% off---

2 days later at 1st port -saw same "stuff" at 50 % of what we paid--just decided to take it back but didnt have receipt---was told we couldnt bring it back without receipt, even tho, it was charged to cabin--asked why we were not told or why there is not a sign and was told that it didnt matter---no co-operation at all and when I kept insisting,was told would have to see manager---had to come back and was treated horribly by him--well,he met his match --after 53 cruises you quickly understand the ins and out-- I responded to him that the receipt shouldnt be a problem since it was on our bill --he then responded that it was a policy of HAL--I quickly responded that they were a lease operation ,so it was his policy--told me they were a HAL shop and nothing he would do--well now this $30 has become a mountain!! Finally he said if I went and got a copy of our bill from front desk , he would do it--

NOW, why didnt he say this immediatly,instead of making a passenger that had paid thousands of $$$--MAD!!!

but the clincher was at check out after writing him up that I asked whether they were a HAL operation or lease and found out --HE LIED--got his name and wrote note to higher ups!!

small problem that should have been avoided BUT a major issue for me!!

FRANK

purchased some "stuff"--first day for 75% off---

2 days later at 1st port -saw same "stuff" at 50 % of what we paid--just decided to take it back but didnt have receipt---was told we couldnt bring it back without receipt, even tho, it was charged to cabin--asked why we were not told or why there is not a sign and was told that it didnt matter---no co-operation at all

FRANK

Good for you, Frank, exactly the way I would have handled it. I'd also suggest a note to HQ in Seattle letting them know that the guy was claiming to be a HAL employee and giving the line a bad name!

No, just not worth any more effort!!

Also, had an EXPERIENCE with a "Chair Hog"---later--

FRANK

Hi Frank,

Glad you made it home OK. Nice to meet all the "cool Cruisers" sailing with us. Had loads of fun at team trivia and all those "Dam" prizes. Now what to do with all of them...

Don't know about "Chair Hog" but you forgot to talk about "Bathrobe Man". To anyone reading this post: the bathrobes provided in the staterooms under the SOE program are a wonderful touch. I do want to point out that it is not outerwear. A man on our cruise wore his everywhere from pool to front desk to team trivia and all around the ship.

Regards,

Joanne

To anyone reading this post: the bathrobes provided in the staterooms under the SOE program are a wonderful touch. I do want to point out that it is not outerwear. A man on our cruise wore his everywhere from pool to front desk to team trivia and all around the ship.

Either he and his wife were on my cruise last summer, or there's more than one of 'em! :eek:

Let's hope the tribe does not increase.

Was just about to post a new thread asking for any info on the Amsterdam when I came across this one. We just got off the Oosterdam, our first HA cruise, and I am tempted by the Amsterdam Hawaii-South Pacific itinerary. I thought the Amsterdam was quite new and was surprised at the movement encountered in what was said to be not "bad" seas. Look forward to whatever further comments are made about this ship. Thanks for any/all info!

All in All--ship is in excellent shape--all ships creak but our room was just terrible!! Again they came and put in wood chips between the beams and it was quieter but we didnt encounter too bad a seas after that---

We have been on the larger ships for the last 4 years and believe it had alot to do with that BUT alot of people were surprised at the movement!!

FRANK

All in All--ship is in excellent shape--all ships creak but our room was just terrible!! Again they came and put in wood chips between the beams and it was quieter but we didnt encounter too bad a seas after that---

We have been on the larger ships for the last 4 years and believe it had alot to do with that BUT alot of people were surprised at the movement!!

FRANK

Thanks, Frank.

We have sailed on the Rotterdam on the Canada/New England route, and heard that she had been nicknamed "The Rattledam." We asked why and were told that she had been stressed on her maiden voyage across the ocean and thus the "rattles."

We hope to cruise on the Amsterdam soon. Were there any rumors about the source of her noisy problems?

Thanks.

Pincus

I saw many of those "Robe" people on both my Zuiderdam and Volendam cruises. Why people wear these bathrobes around the ship like they were bathing suite cover-ups, I'll never know.

Archived