Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Disabled Cruise Travel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Disabled Cruise Travel Cruisers with physical limitations share their advice & experiences.
Cruise Critic Disabled Cruise Resources

Old March 12th, 2012, 08:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Renting a scooter

Our family is traveling on the Summit out of SJ. My husband initially rented a scooter via phone back in Nov. 11 for our April 12 cruise. Two weeks ago he received a call saying they could not find one for him. It was suggested that we try to contact a company on the island. We have not been able to find one. Does anyone know of a company who rents in or near San Juan?
Allatrop
Golden Princess-2000
Celebrity Solstice-February 2009
Celebrity Equinox (Trans-Atlantic)-October 2010
Celebrity Eclipse (Trans-Atlantic)-October 2011
Celebrity Summit-April 2012
RCI Jewel Of The Seas-TA-August 2012
Celebrity Reflection-TA-November 2013
RCI Seranade of the Seas(Trans-Atlantic) November 2014
Celebrity Silhouette-Trans-Atlantic-October 2015

Old March 12th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I would suggest that you contact Celebrity and be a bit aggressive. Celebrity does not rent the scooters, however they do have some on board a couple ships that are for rent. I'm having memory problems; between the Mercury, Century and Summit, two of the ships did have available scooters that someone at the customer service on board could rent to them for one of the travel suppliers. Having noticed the idle scooters a number of times, we did make inquires about them.

Maybe someone else can remember exactly which ships had them.

Betty
Future cruises: NCL Gem 9/14 – Bahamas; Carnival Splendor 9/14 – New England; Carnival Pride 9/14 - Bahamas; Carnival Paradise 10/14 - Caribbean; NCL Star 10/14 - Panama Canal; Equinox 1/15 - Caribbean; Constellation 2/15 - Caribbean
Past cruises: Splendour OTS (Med) 11/01, Voyager OTS (Caribbean) 11/02, Majesty OTS (Bahamas) 1/03, Nordic Empress (Caribbean) 3/03, Oosterdam (Baltic) 7/03, Horizon (W Caribbean) 12/03, Horizon (E Caribbean) 2/04, Jasmine (Nile) 5/04, Empress OTS (S Caribbean) 12/04, Opera (E Med) 4/05, Maasdam (St Lawrence) 6/05, Sapphire Princess (Mexico) 12/05, Regal Princess (Amazon) 4/06, Rotterdam (Black Sea) 10/06, Rotterdam (Med) 10/06, Sun Princess (Caribbean) 1/07, Magica (TA) 5/07, Island Princess (Panama Canal) 10/07, Mercury (So Pacific) 3/08 , Mercury (Hawaii) 3/08, Century (W Med) 11/08; Legend OTS (Asia) 4/09; Legend OTS (Asia) 5/09; Legend OTS (Mid East) 5/09; Rotterdam (Baltic) 8/09; Volendam (Japan) 10/09; Poesia (Caribbean) 1/10; Summit (Bermuda) 5/10; Concordia (W Med) 10/10; Century (TA) 10/10; Oasis OTS (W. Caribbean) 9/11; Carnival Valor (E. Caribbean) 9/11; Carnival Valor (W. Caribbean) 9/11; NCL Sky (Bahamas) 9/11; Majesty OTS (Bahamas) 9/11; Carnival Imagination (W. Caribbean) 10/11; NCL Spirit (W. Caribbean) 10/11; Maasdam (Atlantic Coast/St. Lawrence) 4/12; NCL Jade (Med/Holy Land) 2/13; Infinity 10/13 (Western Europe); Liberty OTS 10/13 (Transatlantic); Maasdam 1/14 (S Caribbean)

Old March 12th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Did you try both "Special Needs at Sea" and "Care Vacations"? The other choice if neither of those work is to rent from home and take the scooter with you.

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by katisdale View Post
Did you try both "Special Needs at Sea" and "Care Vacations"? The other choice if neither of those work is to rent from home and take the scooter with you.
Thanks Betty and Katisdale. We initially called both suggested suppliers to no avail. I will try Captains Club today and beg. This is the first time we are all in aft cabins which means a longer walk to the elevators. Also, getting off the ship would be impossible, so it will not be the same with a scooter. I will get back with my results. Keep your fingers crossed.
Golden Princess-2000

Old March 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Have you considered renting one locally and taking it on the plane with you ? A little more troublesome but at least you'd have it. Would probably even be cheaper considering the largest expense of the rental cost is the delivery and port access charges.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 13th, 2012, 02:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

In addition to the above post, have you considered buying a travel scooter locally and taking it with you?

We bought one online from spinlife dot com for around $900 and now have it for every cruise, as well as trips to the local mall, etc. Have to say we have never flown with it, but it appears that people do, and they gate-check them the same as people do who travel with baby strollers, etc.

Just a thought.

June 2002 Pacific Princess - Bermuda
June 2003 Grand Princess - Western Caribbean
November 2003 Dawn Princess - Southern Caribbean
April 2004 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
December 2004 Dawn Princess - Southern Caribbean
September 2005 Carnival Triumph New England/Canada
December 2005 Coral Princess Panama Canal
October 27, 2006 Crown Princess - NY to San Juan Repositioning Cruise
December 22, 2006 Coral Princess - Eastern Caribbean
December 10, 2007 Coral Princess - Panama Canal
December 20, 2008 Emerald Princess - Sailing the Caribbean
November 30, 2009 Island Princess - Panama Canal
December 30, 2010 Crown Princess - New Years Eve in the Caribbean
November 19, 2011 Royal Caribbean Voyager of the Seas - Thanksgiving in the Caribbean
January 8, 2012 Island Princess - Panama Canal

Old March 13th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have you looked into "Scoot Anywhere"?

http://www.scootanywhere.com/?gclid=...FYwj7AoddxdaaA

Heading out to Sea on The Grandeur of the Seas from Baltimore

Old March 13th, 2012, 04:37 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindropsalways View Post
I would suggest that you contact Celebrity and be a bit aggressive. Celebrity does not rent the scooters, however they do have some on board a couple ships that are for rent. I'm having memory problems; between the Mercury, Century and Summit, two of the ships did have available scooters that someone at the customer service on board could rent to them for one of the travel suppliers. Having noticed the idle scooters a number of times, we did make inquires about them.

Maybe someone else can remember exactly which ships had them.

Betty

I've been on more than 30 Celebrity cruises and never, ever have seen a scooter for rent on their ships. Perhaps the idle scooters DID actually belong to passengers?

This is from Celebrity's website:

Celebrity Cruises does not provide wheelchairs or scooters for their guests. For wheelchair rentals, scooter rentals or other special needs equipment rentals, passengers must rent their own from independent agencies. Call Celebrity Cruise Line for questions concerning special needs accessibility.

Old March 13th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Before purchasing our scooters we rented from local Hospital Medical Suppy-so much cheaper than renting thru the tqwo companies mentioned. When it came time to urchase we again delt with Suppy for Hospital and got a real good price one was one of ones we had rented the month before and they give us back the rental fee. We find having scooters in airports so much help to me.

Have traveled withthose using travel scoots and think they are a good bargin.

Old March 13th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Have traveled withthose using travel scoots and think they are a good bargin.[/quote]

Thanks everyone for your responses. This is our 4th cruise that we rented a scooter. I called one place suggested by Celebrity and was told that San Juan does not have scooters for my husband's size. We left from Southampton last October and had no problem, so this was a surprise. I will do more shopping tomorrow, concentrating on local places. The Travel Scoot is light and easy to travel with. I will see if I can find one locally. If we take 3 cruises, it will pay for itself.
We are 38 days away from our cruise-can't wait.
Thanks everyone.
Golden Princess-2000

Old March 14th, 2012, 10:07 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcher0619 View Post
. I will do more shopping tomorrow, concentrating on local places. The Travel Scoot is light and easy to travel with. I will see if I can find one locally. If we take 3 cruises, it will pay for itself.
We are 38 days away from our cruise-can't wait.
Thanks everyone.
Have yet to find a local retailer or medical supply company that sells the travelscoot . It appears that it can only be purchased or rented on line . Here is the manifactures website and the rental company website.

http://www.travelscoot.com/

http://www.scootanywhere.com/

Last edited by xxoocruiser; March 14th, 2012 at 10:07 AM.

Old April 8th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bought a travel scoot

Two weeks to go and the travel scoot came in. It is just what my husband needed. The real test will be our cruise in two weeks. Thanks for everyones help.
Golden Princess-2000