Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old March 13th, 2012, 12:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Exclamation Cell phone use. Verizon

Hello i leave on my first cruise on saturday. Oasis of the Seas !! (: I am wondering how the whole cell phone thing is going to work. I don't understand roaming and roaming charges or anything so can someone explain it to me??
I have a Iphone from Verizon !
Will I be able to use my cell phone in Falmouth Jamaica, Haiti, and Cozumel?
If i have my phone turned on for alarm clock and picture taking purposes will I be charged??

Sorry if i seem stupid i really just have absolutely no clue. lol

Thanks

Old March 13th, 2012, 01:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Leaving Saturday, too!

I have Verizon, too. I always call them before I sail, and let them know where I will be going. They will tell you whether each of your destinations has service, and what the per minute charge is. The cost to use the ship's service is relatively high.
I downloaded an app called "postagram"...it allows you to take pictures from your phone or ipad and send them as post cards anywhere in the world for 99 cents each.

Have a great time!

Jan
Go Tarheels!

Carnival Valor, April 2009
RCCL Navigator of the Seas, April 2007
Holland America Veendam, Feb 2001

Old March 13th, 2012, 01:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatBetch View Post
Hello i leave on my first cruise on saturday. Oasis of the Seas !! (: I am wondering how the whole cell phone thing is going to work. I don't understand roaming and roaming charges or anything so can someone explain it to me??
I have a Iphone from Verizon !
Will I be able to use my cell phone in Falmouth Jamaica, Haiti, and Cozumel?
If i have my phone turned on for alarm clock and picture taking purposes will I be charged??

Sorry if i seem stupid i really just have absolutely no clue. lol

Thanks
I learned a very expensive lesson on my first cruise, when your on the ship or in port, don't use your cell phone! If you do, turn the airplane mode feature on that way you don't have any type of data transmitting or being received. Trust me, you don't want a surprise bill like I received a few years ago.... Other than that, have fun on your cruise!

Old March 13th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

As soon as I get on the ship, my cell phone is put into airplane mode, turned off, and then put in the safe, not to be turned on again until we get back to the home port. Don't need any additional charges.

Will your cell phone work, yes. You will end up with a very expensive bill. If you want it for an alarm clock and camera, just leave it in airplane mode. Also important since the ship's tower will re-adjust the time.

Old March 13th, 2012, 06:39 AM
40,000+ Club

My cell phone also spend our vacations in the safe, turned off.

Old March 13th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

If you must use your phone in port make sure the data stream is turned off. Otherwise all of those pending messages and updates will flood in as soon as you switch out of airplane mode. For most plans it's not the international calling and roaming minutes that adds up to a surprising bill but the per message and data byte charges.
May 2012 Carnival Miracle
July 2011 Carnival Glory
October 2010 Carnival Pride
September 2010 Carnival Glory
Aug 2003 RCI Sovereign of the Seas
July 1992 Premier Oceanic
June 1992 Premier Oceanic
May 1990 Premier Atlantic

Old March 13th, 2012, 11:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

We take our smart phones and turn off DATA rather than use airplane mode. This allows us to receive text messages from our children ( .05each incoming/ .50 each outgoing) from our kids. Call verizon and let them know that you are going and they will instruct you. Calls are 2.49/min from cell on ship or 1.99/min from cabin phone (carnival), so using cabin phone just makes more sense for me. I always worry about cell/time changes in ports so I wear/carry a watch. There are plenty of places to use WIFI ( again, keeping data turned off) for free acess to email, web, skype etc.
Tracy in Missouri
☻ ♥ ☻
/♥\./█\
.||. .||

Old March 13th, 2012, 11:24 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I believe there's a feature called "data roaming" that can be turned off before leaving the US (or leaving home for that matter). Then you'd be able to use the phone, set the clock, take photos, etc. without automatically ingesting megabytes of data through your phone's normal data activities. When in the US (or its possessions like Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands) the data will work as normal.

Sometimes the ship's time isn't the same as local time (and there's no guarantee that your phone will adjust to local time correctly) so be careful about letting your phone tell you waht time it is when youre in port.

Past:
Queen Mary 2 (Caribbean Holiday) - December 2013
Carnival Pride (Bahamas) - October 2013
Queen Mary 2 (Caribbean Holiday) - December 2012
Caribbean Princess (Scandinavia) - July 2012
Queen Victoria (Hawaii) - February 2012
Queen Mary 2 (Eastbound Transatlantic Crossing) - October 2011
Queen Victoria (Panama Canal Transit) - March 2011
Queen Mary 2 (New England/Canada) - September 2010

Old April 18th, 2012, 11:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

As everyone said i would shut off cellular data. Personally I'd use airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi. You can use wi-fi with airplane mode on, Take advantage of free wi-fi zones make a call on skype or google voice if your on wifi and use iMessage for texting people with other iPhones! all free!

Old April 19th, 2012, 08:13 PM
5,000+ Club

IF you decide to use your phone, check Verizon's website. Just yesterday I discovered that they have a section on phone use on cruises and they list charges and roaming BY CRUISE LINE.

Very helpful!

NEXT UP: Alaska! Summer 2014
PAST: Closing in on 20 cruises on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity