Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old March 14th, 2012, 01:47 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Carnival cruise Lines can't buy a break. Caribbean Princess broken in St Martin

Engine issue.

I was on her a few weeks ago...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1592386

Old March 14th, 2012, 02:47 PM
5,000+ Club

Update. The ship limped back to San Juan and is tied up at the pier as of now. They weren't supposed to go back to San Juan until Sunday...

One report states:

all passengers will be able to stay onboard through Sunday and then resume your plans to return home. For those passengers continuing on through March 18 we will provide you with an update late tomorrow as to the full impact on our next voyage." Passengers were given a full refund.

Last edited by A Sixth?; March 14th, 2012 at 02:49 PM.

Old March 14th, 2012, 04:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think I read that all the brands equal 100+ ships. In that large number stuff happens.
HAL 38 Days
NCL 81 Days
Princess 7 Days
RCCL 19 Days
Royal Viking 5 Days
Oceania 24 Days
Crystal 12 Days

Old March 14th, 2012, 04:42 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercafe View Post
I think I read that all the brands equal 100+ ships. In that large number stuff happens.
I sat at the Engineers table recently on the Summit and to make a long story short was told that the Carnival line ships have fewer redundant systems than Celebrity ships.

In effect, they are built to a cheaper standard.

Old March 14th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on the Caribbean Princess in January. I really feel for all of those people who have had their vacation cut short.
Grand Princess - 2003
Celebrity Century - 2003
Serenade of the Seas - 2004
Celebrity Millennium - 2005
Golden Princess - 2005
Jewel of the Seas - 2006
Freedom of the Seas - 2008
Crown Princess - 2009
Carnival Freedom - 2009
Celebrity Summit - 2011
Caribbean Princess - 2012
Celebrity Summit - 2012
Celebrity Silhouette - 2013
Celebrity Silhouette - 2014

Old March 15th, 2012, 02:04 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjl64 View Post
We were on the Caribbean Princess in January. I really feel for all of those people who have had their vacation cut short.
News just in... not only did the poor people on this weeks cruise have their plans ruined, apparently the next two cruises are now officially cancelled!

The ship will be out for three weeks at least...

guess my shares of CCL are taking a slide...

edit... go figure... CCL is up today....

Last edited by A Sixth?; March 15th, 2012 at 02:09 PM.

Old March 15th, 2012, 02:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow...

What is that old saying "Bad News comes in 3s"

This has been one-a-month for the last 3 months for Carnival Corp...

Costa Concordia = January 13th
Costa Allegra = February 27th
Caribbean Princess = March 12th

They've had more than their "fair share" of bad luck... just imagine not only how much revenue they've lost by having 3 ships out of commission (either partly or completely) PLUS having to make FULL Refunds to about 7000+ Pax onboard, PLUS other costs for compensation (flight arrangements)...

PLUS, PLUS, PLUS... tons of other items (towing charges, repairs, legal fees, bookings cancelled / altered etc) what a bleak picture for this company's bottom line

Cheers!

Past Cruises...

2013 - Celebrity Summit - Southern Caribbean (C1 Aft with Oversized Sunset Balcony)
2012 - Celebrity Solstice - Eastern Caribbean (C2 Midship "Hump" with Oversized Balcony)

Upcoming Cruises...
Cruise Countdown TickersCruise Countdown Tickers

Daydreaming Cruises...
* Europe 2016... Celebrity "The Adriatic" -or- Viking "Chateaus & Wine"

Last edited by Sloop-JohnB; March 15th, 2012 at 02:51 PM.

Old March 15th, 2012, 03:01 PM
5,000+ Club

Not too bad a deal for the passengers, since they receive a free vacation, albeit not at all the ports which they wished to visit.

Old March 15th, 2012, 03:02 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sixth? View Post
I sat at the Engineers table recently on the Summit and to make a long story short was told that the Carnival line ships have fewer redundant systems than Celebrity ships.

Yes Carnival line is cheap ships-that is why I will not do a short cruise on Carnival-all old ships for the shorter cruises which are in rough shape. However the corporation is different from the line. I think HAL has some of the best ships of the mainstream lines. Princess ships are nice overall, but I like Celebrity better.

But you are right, between the Costa disaster, another Costa ship having problems, that Carnival ship last week messing up and now Caribbean Princess; it does seem they are having a lot of problems. It is a good thing our next cruise is Celebrity. LOL! We came close to booking Ruby Princess instead too!
Holland America-23 days
Carnival -21 days
Royal Caribbean- 19 days
NCL-18 days
Princess -21 days
Disney-4 days

I have cruised the Caribbean, east, west and southern; Alaska, Bermuda, a transatlantic which included North west Europe and East coast Canada, the Med., and a California coastal/Baja. I loved them all!

What's booked: Celebrity Silhouette November 23, 2014

Old March 15th, 2012, 03:13 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdiamond View Post
Not too bad a deal for the passengers, since they receive a free vacation, albeit not at all the ports which they wished to visit.
Not the next two cruises worth... they will get their costs refunded, but they aren't letting anyone aboard once the crop aboard now leave until the engine's fixed...

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:35 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Not the next two cruises worth... they will get their costs refunded, but they aren't letting anyone aboard once the crop aboard now leave until the engine's fixed...
Maybe with money refunded they can book a great last minute deal. RCI has two ships from San Juan. Celebrity has one there also. If nothing else- a week in San Juan would not be bad. There is a lot to see and also great beaches there.

I am pretty sure not only will their money be refunded but they will get at least 50% off a future cruise.
Holland America-23 days
Carnival -21 days
Royal Caribbean- 19 days
NCL-18 days
Princess -21 days
Disney-4 days

I have cruised the Caribbean, east, west and southern; Alaska, Bermuda, a transatlantic which included North west Europe and East coast Canada, the Med., and a California coastal/Baja. I loved them all!

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:38 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypercafe View Post
Yes, it does. And most of it isn't news worthy.

GOTTA LOVE CRUISING
I am not in a hurry, I am on VACATION!!

Emerald Seas 8/80-Bahamas
Carnival Fantasy 5/92-Bahamas

Carnival Fantasy 4/94-Bahamas
Norwegian Sea 11/02-Western Caribbean
Carnival Triumph 11/04-Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Celebration 3/07-Bahamas
Holland America Eurodam 4/09-Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Eclipse 4/11-Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 2/12-Western Caribbean (17th Anniversary )
Holland America Eurodam 3/12-Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 11/12- Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Silhouette 4/13- Western Caribbean
Disney Dream 1/14 Bahamas
Royal Princess 4/14- Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 4/14 Western Caribbean

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:45 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by momofmeg View Post
Yes Carnival line is cheap ships-that is why I will not do a short cruise on Carnival-all old ships for the shorter cruises which are in rough shape. However the corporation is different from the line. I think HAL has some of the best ships of the mainstream lines. Princess ships are nice overall, but I like Celebrity better.

But you are right, between the Costa disaster, another Costa ship having problems, that Carnival ship last week messing up and now Caribbean Princess; it does seem they are having a lot of problems. It is a good thing our next cruise is Celebrity. LOL! We came close to booking Ruby Princess instead too!
The Ruby Princess is a great ship. You couldn't have gone wrong with that choice.

We actually have the Caribbean Princess booked for July in British Isles with a great itinerary. I am relieved that the problems are happening now and not three months from now. I am not crazy about booking older ships on any line.

Old March 16th, 2012, 01:46 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubofhockey View Post
The Ruby Princess is a great ship. You couldn't have gone wrong with that choice.

We actually have the Caribbean Princess booked for July in British Isles with a great itinerary. I am relieved that the problems are happening now and not three months from now. I am not crazy about booking older ships on any line.
No, we made the right decision, the Princess cruise has not gone down in price, the Solstice went down so much we went from 4 people sharing an oceanivew to 2 balcony staterooms, 2 of us in each room. Plus my hubby and I have a spa balcony stateroom now. (when we booked between airfare and cruise cost-it was only $500 a person more for Ruby Princess) If we had stayed with Princess we would still be 4 in a cabin.

We were a little uncomfortable going to Greece right now. (we had also looked at the Equinox-Ruby Princess had all the ports of the Equinox, plus all the Italy ports of Solstice) We hope that we can do this some time in the future and hopefully the economy in Greece will be better when we do go-so no fear of riots, transportation strikes, etc.

We were on the Caribbean Princess back in 2006-western Caribbean. She was a nice ship-of course back then she was only 2 years old.
Holland America-23 days
Carnival -21 days
Royal Caribbean- 19 days
NCL-18 days
Princess -21 days
Disney-4 days

Old March 16th, 2012, 01:50 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
No, we made the right decision, the Princess cruise has not gone down in price, the Solstice went down so much we went from 4 people sharing an oceanivew to 2 balcony staterooms, 2 of us in each room. Plus my hubby and I have a spa balcony stateroom now. (when we booked between airfare and cruise cost-it was only $500 a person more for Ruby Princess) If we had stayed with Princess we would still be 4 in a cabin.

We were a little uncomfortable going to Greece right now. (we had also looked at the Equinox-Ruby Princess had all the ports of the Equinox, plus all the Italy ports of Solstice) We hope that we can do this some time in the future and hopefully the economy in Greece will be better when we do go-so no fear of riots, transportation strikes, etc.

We were on the Caribbean Princess back in 2006-western Caribbean. She was a nice ship-of course back then she was only 2 years old.
Now when we switched from one stateroom to 2-that did run our fares up $500 a person-but heck it is worth missing Greece for the comfort of having two bathrooms for the 4 of us, plus hubby and I now have privacy.
Holland America-23 days
Carnival -21 days
Royal Caribbean- 19 days
NCL-18 days
Princess -21 days
Disney-4 days

Old March 16th, 2012, 02:19 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
I am not crazy about going on the Caribbean Princess. The Crown Princess did the same itinerary last year and I view the Caribbean as a step down from that class. We do like the itinerary and that's why we booked it. It's not cheap and Princes has the very small balcony rooms. We do need a change of pace from Princess. We'd love to do a Solstice class ship. But for the Baltics itinerary out of Amsterdam, the Constellation is the only choice - another older ship. Oh well.

Old March 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have read that some of the Princess cruisers have switched over to the Summit. This could be a good opportunity for Celebrity to win over some new converts.

Song of Noway 10/88 Southern Caribbean; Nordic Prince 3/90 Eastern Caribbean; Nordic Empress 5/95 Bahamas; Majesty of the Seas 2/97 Western Caribbean; Galaxy 7/98 Alaska; Galaxy 8/00 Alaska; Horizon 1/02 Western Caribbean; Mercury 1/04 Mexican Riviera; Rhapsody of the Seas 1/05 Western Caribbean; Splendour of the Seas 11/05 Western Caribbean; Summit 1/06 Hawaii; Century 11/06 Caribbean; Constellation 1/07 Caribbean; Mercury 11/07 Pacific Coast Wine Cruise; Constellation 3/08 Caribbean; Jewel of the Seas 11/09 Caribbean; Mercury 3/10 Western Caribbean; Millennium 1/11 Southern Caribbean; Equinox 4/12 Ultimate Caribbean; Liberty of the Seas 12/12 Western Caribbean; Silhouette 3/13 Western Caribbean; Equinox 11/13 Mediterranean; Equinox 4/14 Ultimate Caribbean

Old March 16th, 2012, 07:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Some affected passengers have rebooked on Constellation, departing 24 March. That sailing is now completely sold out it seems.

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Really??? Don't the Summit engineers remember all the azipod probelems Celebrity encountered a few years ago? Talk about delayed/ cancelled cruises! Especially on the Summit.

Old March 16th, 2012, 09:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wel

When the wind blows------
You want to be in masonry or studs ??
Or other stated------ a mobile home or Anything else ??