Message from RCCL on bringing Wine and using MiniFridge

I sent a note to RCCL about whether a passenger is allowed to bring alcohol or any beverages on board and also inquired if the mini fridge can be used for storing beverages and this is the response I received:

Thank you for your email regarding the above-mentioned sailing.

Bringing Beverages onboard: We do not allow guests to bring their own beverages onboard. This includes: liquor, wine, beer, soda, or self produced products (example: home made wines).

Royal Caribbean will allow a maximum of two bottles of wine.

A corkage fee of $12.00 per bottle will be charged. We do not allow more than two bottles and they may not be stored in our mini refrigerators.

As you can see they do allow you to bring up to two bottles of wine no questions asked. And they didn't mention bottled water as a beverage you can't bring on board.

Just thought I would share this with everyone.

Arrrrgggghhhh! That is one of the silliest responses I've seen so far. We do not allow our passengers to bring on their own beverages, including wine. We allow up to 2 bottles of wine. WHICH IS IT?????????

As for not being stored in the fridge, that's a first. As if the cabin stewards don't have enough to do without being the fridge police. Your cabin steward will, of course, bring you all the ice you need to keep your beverages cold.

Talk about corporate gobbledygook. Sheesh.

There. I feel better now.:rolleyes:

I sent a note to RCCL about whether a passenger is allowed to bring alcohol or any beverages on board and also inquired if the mini fridge can be used for storing beverages and this is the response I received:

Thank you for your email regarding the above-mentioned sailing.

Bringing Beverages onboard: We do not allow guests to bring their own beverages onboard. This includes: liquor, wine, beer, soda, or self produced products (example: home made wines).

Royal Caribbean will allow a maximum of two bottles of wine.

A corkage fee of $12.00 per bottle will be charged. We do not allow more than two bottles and they may not be stored in our mini refrigerators.

As you can see they do allow you to bring up to two bottles of wine no questions asked. And they didn't mention bottled water as a beverage you can't bring on board.

Just thought I would share this with everyone.

Correct they didn´t mentioned bottled water, but they said, NO BEVERAGE and just made examples. However just tell them the bottled water is just for washing and teeth cleaning. If you don´t drink it but spit it out it´ll be no beverage and should be allowed:D :p

Strange answer. Maybe the person that wrote it had two bottles of own wine brought to RCCL headquater.

We were told in two separate emails that RCL WILL NOT allow a gay mixer (commonly noted in the Compass as a Friends of Dorothy party) and when I expressed dismay, I was told to ask the Cruise Director once I was onboard. If it's against company policy, why would asking one of their employees make any difference? I suspect the reason is that they have their "rules" and they have their business practises, which allow for exceptions.

I also think they say the thing about allowing the two bottles so they can try and reap the corkage fee. They know folks are bringing wine onboard and while they would prefer you didn't, they will allow you to bring it to the dining room so they can at least earn $12 from you.

Does anyone know... do they add gratuity to the corkage fee. It seems ridiculous, but I thought I saw someone post that they did. And I've been curious ever since... :D Thanks!

So let me get this right you can't bring beverages unless you pay them a corkage fee. Hmmmmm. I wonder what they would charge to uncork my water bottle. This policy seems alittle discriminatory considering not everyone partakes in wine drinking etc.....:(

It's possible that the 2 bottles being referred to is for bottles you purchase on board and they will allow you to take THESE to your cabin for a corkage fee (as opposed to holding them for you and returning them to you on the last day)

I think it's ridiculous that the cruiseline won't just post what we actually can and cannot do.

1. Pay the $9.50 fee in the duty-free shop and bring it to our room? Who knows? Lots of posters here says it's okay. I called RCI and they told me no, we have to wait until the last night of the cruise and it would be delivered to us.

2. Bring wine onboard? Posters say okay if RCI doesn't offer that wine. RCI tells me no, it will be confiscated.

I'm going take a bottle of rum and a Bailey's, and a couple of bottles of wine onboard. We'll see.

They probably will never tell you it is allowed because that would cut into their drink profits and they do want to discourage people from bringing their own on board, understandably. However, it probably is not an area they enforce, would be difficult and time consuming to search everyone's luggage, would tick customers off, etc. It's probably a case of don't ask, don't tell. In other words, what we (RCCL) don't know, won't hurt you (passenger)!

You have to remeber that RCCL DO NOT see what you carry on. It is a private security company that screens the bags before you board the ship. I am not even sure that they know the rules that RCCL has in place. Last time I cruised on the Mariner I had 3 bottles of wine in my backpack and she kinda looked at me and did not say a word....All I said was " They are for our anniversary" and she just let the bag go through without saying a word.

1. Pay the $9.50 fee in the duty-free shop and bring it to our room? Who knows? Lots of posters here says it's okay. I called RCI and they told me no, we have to wait until the last night of the cruise and it would be delivered to us.[/quote

Unless they have changed since January you can pay the $9.50 fee per bottle fee and bring it back to your room.If you buy it and don't pay the fee they hold it until the last night.I know some people have brought liquor aboard but we met a couple they took Jack Daniels from and said they would return it at the end of the cruise.

It's possible that the 2 bottles being referred to is for bottles you purchase on board and they will allow you to take THESE to your cabin for a corkage fee (as opposed to holding them for you and returning them to you on the last day)

That is for the hard liquor and liqueurs in the onboard shop. It is $9.50 per bottle consumption fee to take it back to your cabin. They don't sell wine in the onboard shop. If you bring on your own wine and consume it in the dining room or other public venue, they (usually) charge you the $12 corkage fee. So, this is actually two different things: $9.50 consumption fee for onboard liquor purchase; $12 corkage fee for wine brought onboard.

We've always brought some soda and water, as well as a few bottles of wine--none of which we "smuggle" or hide in any way. We do not bring hard liquor onboard. Even with the consumption fee, it's no more expensive than in the stores at home.

beachchick

I noticed on the RCCL webiste, at the bottom, it said you can purchase alcohol to take in your room if you pay the regular price, not duty free, has anyone heard of this? :cool:

Where? I'm looking for it.

they won't let me put the link on I feel like a criminal:

Guests who purchase liquor onboard a Royal Caribbean International vessel from one of our gifts shops, for in-cabin consumption, will be sold the liquor at an in-cabin consumption rate (non-duty free rate which is comparable to retail rates), which in turn can be taken immediately to their cabin.

I just called Royal Carribean, to confirm she said yes, I would get charged a $9.50 extra for the bottle of liquor, but I could take to my room immediately.

my question is , why are there refrigerators in the room if were not allowed to store drinks in them? go to *********** and act as if your booking a room onboard a RCCL and read the fine print at bottom

I always bring wine & liquor onboard. I pour vodka in empty water bottles and place in a ziplock bag in my suitcase. I bring 1 bottle of red wine also. I bring my own bottle opener. HOWEVER, one time I forgot to pack the opener so I asked my room steward for one. HE DIDN'T CHARGE ME. Go figure! :rolleyes:

I bring my own bottle opener. HOWEVER, one time I forgot to pack the opener so I asked my room steward for one. HE DIDN'T CHARGE ME. Go figure! :rolleyes:

Easy to figure, you're tipping him!

-Monte

The corkage fee only applies in the dining room. You can get a corkscrew and proper wine glasses from room service for free (mind you, my idea of "proper" is a glass with a stem, but they do give you a generic red or white shape if you ask). Drink up!:D

My suggestion is to stop worrying about these "official" wine rules and just bring wine. Make it absolutely clear to RCI that if they confiscate it or don't permit it, they've seen the last of you in the future. I'm betting there won't be any further discussion on the matter, and you'll be free to take it onboard.

Archived