Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old March 26th, 2012, 12:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Carnival Cruise Etiquette 101

One of the things everybody has in common when they are on a ship is that they are on vacation. I thought it would be helpful for veteran cruisers to generate some general etiquette expectations for the novice cruisers.

Of course there are the obvious ones such as: no saving seats, arrive on time for dinner in the MDR, don't slam cabin doors, hands out of the buffet trays, waiting for occupants to exit the elevator before attempting to enter, etc.

I'll start by generating a few suggested etiquette expectations of cruising:

1. Don't complain while waiting in line for tenders, meals, etc. When people are on vacation, they don't want to hear your grumbling/complaining about what isn't right or what cruise line does a better job than Carnival at whatever. This is a downer.

2.Don't cut in line or save a spot for folks, who then show up and there are ten in the party. Asking the person directly behind you if they mind doesn't count. What if the next person minds?

3.If you order a bottle of wine, consider sharing with the other diners. (I know some will disagree with this, but to me this is just good etiquette.)

4. When entering an elevator that is darn near packed, please cease your conversation upon entering and resume it when you exit. Everybody doesn't want to hear what you have to say.

5. If you are on the Lido, where alot of folks are circling with their trays trying to find a spot to sit and eat, please consider vacating your spot if you are playing cards, dominoes or reading a book. There are lots of other areas for activities such as this.

Last edited by picklebongo; March 26th, 2012 at 12:39 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Id like to add one...

When walking in the cabin hallways in the middle of the night...dont have a discussion with your outdoor voice! I had someone right outside my cabin door at 2 am talking in extended lengthabout their plans for the morning. Finally opened my cabin door and yelled "SHUT UP!" lol...I was halfway asleep but they did shut up!

Carnival Tropicale 2/13/93
Carnival Holiday 4/29/89

Almost 20 years between cruises, I gotta make up for lost time!!!

Old March 26th, 2012, 12:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Speaking of hallways, try not to walk right smack in the middle when people are approaching.

Old March 26th, 2012, 12:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Please do not eat or drink in the pools/hot tubs. Seen the mess...
No swimmers/pull ups in the pools/hot tubs.
Please do not sign-up for the "balcony club." We don't want to hear it.
If your group is in multiple cabins, please either use the phone or walk to the other cabin--do not yell from room to room.....seen this on Princess.
Please do not take more food at the buffet than you expect to eat...no need to be wasteful.
Please remember that you are not the only person on the ship. The other 2000 passengers also paid to be here.
Please do not run in the passageways...this creates a lot of noise in neighboring cabins....you have no idea when people may be napping.
Please return to the ship on time...I'd hate to have to laugh watching you run down the pier as the ship is casting off!
For some elderly cruisers, please do not complain about children onboard a cruise marketed to families....dodging Hoverounds is no fun either.
For those who like to stay up late.....enjoy the evening, but please remember that not everyone stays up until 3am--keep the noise level to a respectable volume.
While at the buffet, please make your selection and move along, other people are here for breakfast/lunch/dinner, etc.

I can't think of anything else at the moment....

Cruise Ship - Ticker

Cruise Ship - Ticker

Cruise Ship - Ticker

Cruise Ship - Ticker

Cruise Ship - Ticker

Also sailed on SeaEscape's Scandinavian Sea 1981
Previous profile lost at some point! Have been on cruise critic since 2002.

Old March 26th, 2012, 03:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Ummm... you are kidding, right?

Carnival Breeze June 2012-- Check out my Breeze review here http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1683745

Carnival Ecstasy January 2011

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

when did a cruise ship become a library.

one rule: when you book a cruise, realize you are paying to share a ship. those that you share with have quirks you may not be used to.

save your rules for where you are in total control, like home. trying to instill them in public is fruitless. there are no hall moniters.

and let those enforcing the law enforce it.

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:21 AM
5,000+ Club

Very good points....

GOTTA LOVE CRUISING
I am not in a hurry, I am on VACATION!!

Emerald Seas 8/80-Bahamas
Carnival Fantasy 5/92-Bahamas

Carnival Fantasy 4/94-Bahamas
Norwegian Sea 11/02-Western Caribbean
Carnival Triumph 11/04-Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Celebration 3/07-Bahamas
Holland America Eurodam 4/09-Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Eclipse 4/11-Western Caribbean
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 2/12-Western Caribbean (17th Anniversary )
Holland America Eurodam 3/12-Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 11/12- Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Silhouette 4/13- Western Caribbean
Disney Dream 1/14 Bahamas
Royal Princess 4/14- Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Epic 4/14 Western Caribbean

Old March 26th, 2012, 07:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Mich View Post
Please return to the ship on time...I'd hate to have to laugh watching you run down the pier as the ship is casting off!
I love watching these guys. It's like the show that carnival doesn't advertise.

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile. Laugh. Look for the beauty or the humor in every situtation - usually you can find either or both of these.
7/06 Adventure of the Seas
12/08 Westerdam
6/10 Glory
6/12 Ecstasy

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

I don't behave any differently on a ship than I do at home. I know there are lines and I will get my turn, so no use grumbling. I say please and thank you, allow someone in a wheelchair or walker to enter the elevator before me...I can wait or take the stairs. Most everything is common courtesy. My mother, however, has little patience, especially when waiting in line. Many times, we'll find a seat and I'll go get her coffee or whatever she wants. I know her knees hurt when waiting in line and can get short tempered, so I try to avert any negative comments. On the other hand, I do not like when some parents do not watch their kids and allow them to become out of control. Have fun, yes, but being monsters, no. Also, some elderly do feel that they can run over you with their scooters. This has nothing to do with age...it's manners. It would be nice if everyone were a little more courteous, but never gonna happen. I'll just sit back and enjoy another DOD while everyone fights for the buffet or Wok...I'll get in line when the others have filled their trough of food.

May 2010 Carnival Glory--Bahamas
May 2009 Star Princess--Alaska
June 2006 Carnival Conquest--Western Caribbean

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We can't talk in the elevators?!! Is someone napping in there?
That is a new one.

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabFox View Post
I don't behave any differently on a ship than I do at home. I know there are lines and I will get my turn, so no use grumbling. I say please and thank you, allow someone in a wheelchair or walker to enter the elevator before me...I can wait or take the stairs. Most everything is common courtesy. My mother, however, has little patience, especially when waiting in line. Many times, we'll find a seat and I'll go get her coffee or whatever she wants. I know her knees hurt when waiting in line and can get short tempered, so I try to avert any negative comments. On the other hand, I do not like when some parents do not watch their kids and allow them to become out of control. Have fun, yes, but being monsters, no. Also, some elderly do feel that they can run over you with their scooters. This has nothing to do with age...it's manners. It would be nice if everyone were a little more courteous, but never gonna happen. I'll just sit back and enjoy another DOD while everyone fights for the buffet or Wok...I'll get in line when the others have filled their trough of food.
You are absolutely right, virturally every "etiquette expectation" are simple every day courtesy norms that many people seem to abandon on a ship.

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gran3 View Post
We can't talk in the elevators?!! Is someone napping in there?
That is a new one.
Just imagine, a jam packed elevator, two people get on, they are not squeezed next to year other, and trying to hold a conversation over everybody else. It''s annoying and quite rude in my opinion. If one is able to hold a conversation quietly, sure, but not when you have to speak over people who aren't next to you. What could be so important that it couldn't wait until a short elevator ride is over?

Old March 26th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by picklebongo View Post
3.If you order a bottle of wine, consider sharing with the other diners. (I know some will disagree with this, but to me this is just good etiquette.)
Is rule 3a. "If you order a cocktail at a bar, consider buying one for the stranger next to you, it's just good etiquette."?

Last edited by doconner; March 26th, 2012 at 08:59 AM.

Old March 26th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Just imagine, a jam packed elevator, two people get on, they are not squeezed next to year other, and trying to hold a conversation over everybody else. It''s annoying and quite rude in my opinion. If one is able to hold a conversation quietly, sure, but not when you have to speak over people who aren't next to you. What could be so important that it couldn't wait until a short elevator ride is over?
Why are two people getting into an already jammed packed elevator?

Etiquette dictates if elevator is full, wait for the next one.

Visit Carnival.com to see our Caribbean cruises.

Going:
Carnival Pride, Southern Caribbean 03/15/15

Should have gone:
Norwegian Pearl, Southern Caribbean 01/22/15 - canceled by NCL

Gone:
Carnival Freedom, Eastern Caribbean 02/23/13
Carnival Liberty, Western Caribbean 01/29/12
Enchantment of the Seas, Bahamas 05/7/09
Caribbean Princess, Eastern Caribbean 04/20/08
Carnival Destiny, Eastern Caribbean 11/9/97

Old March 26th, 2012, 09:04 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
That is not how you original posted "suggested etiquette expections' #4. You made it sound like we should all stand in awkward silence.
What you're saying now is totally different, and I still don't know if I agree.

Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
One of the things everybody has in common when they are on a ship is that they are on vacation. I thought it would be helpful for veteran cruisers to generate some general etiquette expectations for the novice cruisers.

Of course there are the obvious ones such as: no saving seats, arrive on time for dinner in the MDR, don't slam cabin doors, hands out of the buffet trays, waiting for occupants to exit the elevator before attempting to enter, etc.

I'll start by generating a few suggested etiquette expectations of cruising:

1. Don't complain while waiting in line for tenders, meals, etc. When people are on vacation, they don't want to hear your grumbling/complaining about what isn't right or what cruise line does a better job than Carnival at whatever. This is a downer.

2.Don't cut in line or save a spot for folks, who then show up and there are ten in the party. Asking the person directly behind you if they mind doesn't count. What if the next person minds?

4. When entering an elevator that is darn near packed, please cease your conversation upon entering and resume it when you exit. Everybody doesn't want to hear what you have to say.

5. If you are on the Lido, where alot of folks are circling with their trays trying to find a spot to sit and eat, please consider vacating your spot if you are playing cards, dominoes or reading a book. There are lots of other areas for activities such as this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybecky View Post
Ummm... you are kidding, right?
Good luck getting others to behave as you see fit. Keep in mind that only a small fraction of cruisers are members of C.C., so you're basically preaching to the choir. Also, those that are members don't read each and every post on here. While I agree that good manners and common sense go a long, it's unrealistic to expect everyone on a cruise ship will act and behave as you think they should. You'd be surprised how things are much more tolerable after a few D.O.D's.

CRUISES
Carnival Liberty May 2013
Carnival Liberty May 2012
Carnival Sensation Feb. 2008
Carnival Destiny Feb. 2007
RCCL Explorer of the Seas March 2002
RCCL Majesty of the Seas Dec. 2000
Carnival Imagination Sept. 1999
RCCL Enchantment of the Seas Feb. 1999
RCCL Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 1997

Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2Mich View Post

For some elderly cruisers, please do not complain about children onboard a cruise marketed to families....dodging Hoverounds is no fun either.

Hahahahaha

Old March 26th, 2012, 09:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cozumel is considered the port where the most number of people are left behind because they miss the ship. The number one cause of missing the ship in Coz is drinking.

I think one of the funniest things to watch is the running of the drunks to catch the ship at the last minute. I have seen people falling flat on their faces on the pier and not getting up. Two people running and holding up someone passed out in between them.

We usually stake out a nice viewing area with a tasty drink.
NCL Majesty 6/00, RCCL Explorer 6/01, RCCL Voyager 6/03, Carnival Elation 5/04, Carnival Victory 6/05, RCCL Empress 10/06, Carnival Fantasy 6/07, Carnival Triumph 7/07, Carnival Sensation 3/08, Carnival Liberty 10/08, Carnival Fantasy 2/09, Carnival Miracle 3/09, Carnival Fantasy 8/09, Carnival Destiny 10/09, Carnival Fantasy 2/10, Carnival Triumph 3/10, Carnival Liberty 5/10, Carnival Inspiration 8/10, Carnival Miracle 10/10, Carnival Triumph 2/11, Carnival Freedom 3/11, Carnival Miracle 10/11, Carnival Liberty 3/12, Carnival Dream 3/12, Carnival Freedom 6/12, Carnival Valor 10/12, Carnival Breeze 3/13, Carnival Elation 5/13, Carnival Breeze 9/13, Carnival Conquest 10/13, Carnival Paradise 3/14, Carnival Magic 4/14, Carnival Glory 5/14

[/url]

Visit Carnival.com to see our Bahamas cruises.

Old March 26th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'll say this much about talking in a crowded elevator-- if you insist, PLEASE make sure you don't have Death Breath. A woman who works on my floor has breath that could kill a cockroach, and she's quite the Chatty Cathy in the elevator; if I happen to be in there with her, I have to breathe through my mouth until we get out.