IC Moorea or IC Tahiti

DGK

I am currently trying to figure out our pre cruise stay and narrowed it down to IC Tahiti 2 nights or IC Morrea 3 nights plus one in Tahiti for our possible late eve flight. Most of the advice leads to Moorea Hilton or Sofitel. We decided being our first tip and having read about flights subject to change we want to make life simpler and just book the pre cruise stay through PG . I have read conflicting reports about both IC Hotels and wondering if the 4 night pkg ( 3 plus one ) in Moorea is worth the extra money or just do the two night pkg in Tahiti ? We are able to spare the 2 extra days and curious how do the two resorts compare? Thanks so much and any suggestions are greatly appreciated, Donna

DGK, having stayed at the IC Tahiti and seen (but not yet stayed at) the IC Moorea -- do the Moorea one!! We're actually doing both on our upcoming cruise - 2-day pre-cruise at IC Tahiti, and 3-day post-cruise at IC Moorea. I'm glad that it's in that order, because while the IC Tahiti is great, Moorea will be exponentially better, so I'm glad we end with that.

Not only is the IC Moorea way nicer than the IC Tahiti, but Moorea itself is just a much lovelier, less despoiled island. Of course there isn't much to do there - it's a place for quiet, romance, gorgeous views, water-based activities, sunsets over the water.

That is not to criticize the IC Tahiti - it's a very nice property, and heck, you're in French Polynesia! :p But Papeete is just, well, kind of a dirty city. The IC Moorea will be several steps up, believe me. IMO, worth the money. (Plus the extra time!!!)

Actually I consider IC Moorea a step down. For me its IC Tahiti in Tahiti and either Hilton or Sofitel in Moorea.

Go by the reviews though they will provide very current information.

Actually I consider IC Moorea a step down. For me its IC Tahiti in Tahiti and either Hilton or Sofitel in Moorea.

Yikes, really? Even comparing IC's? Do you consider the IC Moorea to be a step down from IC Tahiti?

I haven't seen the Hilton or Sofitel in Moorea, so I wasn't including those in my comparison...and I haven't stayed (yet) at the IC Moorea, only saw it when I was on Moorea on my last cruise. I thought the OP was asking for comparisons between the two ICs, but I may have misinterpreted.

From that perspective, Emdee, which do you prefer? IC Tahiti or IC Moorea?

OK, I have stayed 2X in Moorea and 5X in Papeete. Here is my take - the IC Tahiti is a better all around experience. Now I have not stayed at the IC Moorea since the refurb of the pool and the garden bungalows but was there recently. The beach area and water is much nicer at the Moorea property. HOWEVER, the pools are much nicer at the Papeete property, the grounds are nicer and the staff MUCH nicer. If you have never stayed on Moorea though, I would probably stay there as you can go to spectacular beaches and eat at some great restaurants. The Hilton on Moorea has a great beach and the Sofitel for me is even better. Tough choices but next time for me it will be back to Papeete and maybe take the ferry and spend a day on Moorea. I am really hoping that "The Brando" on Tetiaroa will be spectacular and affordable.

I am with Twin and agree with the comparison.

I havent seen the IC in Moorea after the refurb. Had one ugly experience there and then the gauguinnes told me the water there was not 'fresh' so the next time we went to the motu across from the IC which was ok.

However I have stayed a couple of times at the TIC and have had a dayroom there as well. The travelodge rooms are to be avoided but we like the panoramic for size and quality. Love the Infinity pool there and also love the property. Last year I even found the food excellent and much better than in the past.

Leeann while I didnt directly answer Donna's question I wanted her to think of the other options if time is on her side.

I'm totally down with those IC Tahiti pools being awesome! We spent two days before and three days after our cruise at the IC Tahiti last time, and I would say I spent the vast majority of my time there IN that infinity pool...and made copious use of that swim-up bar :) It really is a beautiful property - and yeah, we had a Panoramic room too (and that's what we're getting this time as well). I really have no complaints about that property at all - we had a fabulous time there. And I'm thrilled to hear that the food is better - that was the only real downside (although other than our included breakfast we only ate one meal there, which was disappointing).

One problem with the IC Tahiti, tho, is that if you're planning on doing an OWB, you really can't snorkel right off them - as I recall, the current was super-strong and there wasn't a lot of life there. I've read that the OWBs at the IC Moorea are much better for that. Although I'm not too pleased to hear there's something wrong with the water there! :eek: Do you know what's up with that?

Also, I think the island experience on Moorea is going to be better, as it's just a prettier island. Leaving out the question of which property to stay at (as I'm sure they're both lovely), I'd pick Moorea in a heartbeat. And I think it goes without saying that I'd pick 3 days over 2 in a heartbeat as well! LOL! :D

I... I've read that the OWBs at the IC Moorea are much better for that. Although I'm not too pleased to hear there's something wrong with the water there! :eek: Do you know what's up with that?

Leeann, what have you been hearing? They do have a Crown of Thorns problem in Moorea, we saw them in 2008--is this what you've been hearing?

Wendy, I was referring to this, posted above:

I havent seen the IC in Moorea after the refurb. Had one ugly experience there and then the gauguinnes told me the water there was not 'fresh' so the next time we went to the motu across from the IC which was ok.

I know about the crown of thorns problem - sad. :( I know that the coral there won't be nearly as brilliant and healthy as last time I was there, and in some areas it may basically be all dead. But I'm hoping we'll visit at least a couple of dive spots where we'll see some.

It's astonishing what an invasive species can do. I was in Cozumel last year, and the lionfish are invasive and are apparently decimating some of the local species. They are EVERYWHERE! I saw dozens if not hundreds on every dive. Many of the divers there bring spears and try to kill everyone they see...and apparently they are yummy (once you cut the nasty spikes off!).

LeeAnne , we are still waiting to see what pkg’s PG will offer for our pre-cruise stay and did decide that we would like to spend the time on Moorea. I was wondering what type of accommodation did you decide on with the IC Moorea ? Not sure when you are going on this wonderful trip and asking if you could please post a review regarding the IC Moorea . Thanks so much, Donna

Hi Donna,

We haven't gone yet...our cruise departs on June 30. We booked the least expensive rooms at both IC Papeete and IC Moorea through PGC's pre- and post-cruise programs, but then we purchased an Ambassador Club membership, which gives you an automatic upgrade. I emailed the managers of both resorts to determine exactly what we would get with that upgrade, and we were told we would get a Panoramic room in Papeete, and in Moorea we'll get a Beach Bungalow.

The Ambassador Club membership was $200, but the upgrades we're getting from it are worth several hundred over the course of the 5 days we'll be at the two ICs. And we've read of many people who were able to upgrade to an OWB with their Ambassador Club membership at either no cost, or very little cost, depending on availability. We'll be fine with the Panoramic and the Beach Bungalow, but if we can get an OWB for not too much more we'll take it! :)

I have been Ambassador for years. At the IC Tahiti I always got a Panoramic view room upgrade. This past time I went with Platinum status and got a King Jr Suite OWB

For zero cost, that room was $400 per night more than the one I paid for. I also got 6pm checkout is I effectively had 3 days and paid for 2.

Granted they might have given me the better upgrade as it was the 5th time I stayed there.

I also used my weekend free certificate so I only paid for one night.

They have the best rewards program going.

Hi,

We're looking at doing a 2 or 3 day pre cruise at IC Moorea & after reading a couple posts here, attempted to look into the Ambassador program, but without any success. If our travel agent books our room through PG, how do we get the upgrade? Do you present your card when you check in? What if an upgrade isn't available then? When I called the IC Ambassador department to speak with someone about joining, & how to go about receiving the upgrade when the room is booked through the ship, no one knew the answer, & I kept getting disconnected during transfers. They finally told me to email the IC Moorea directly, so that's what I did, & am waiting now to hear back from them. If any of you know how to go about this, would you mind filling me in?:confused:

Thank you!!!

We stayed at both IC's. having an over night stay en route to the ship in Papeete and a day room there on the way back. We also did a three night stay in an OWB in Moorea at the end of the cruise. We were very disappointed with the IC in Moorea. The beach is nicer than in Papeete, but there is no comparison when it comes to the pools. IC Papeete wins hands down. The food was also infinitely better in Papeete for us than in Moorea, but obviously food is very subjective. As to snorkelling from the bungalow, the constant wind and strong current meant that we were not able to do this in Moorea which was a huge disappointment.

Archived