Restaurant suggestions for Prague (Old Town)

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:35 AM.
Oroville, CA
17 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Anyone have some suggestions for Prague dining in Old Town? We will have two free days prior to our cruise and we love to free style. Any ideas out there? We are not particular and not wimpy or meek about trying new experiences. Thanks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean- Mexico 1998
Star Princess - Alaska 1999
Sun Princess - Panama Canal - 2002
Ruby Princess - Grand European - 2010
Avalon Tranquility - Main River Prague to Frankfurt 2012
Celebrity Solstice- Alaska- 2016
Coastal NC
3,233 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by globie
Anyone have some suggestions for Prague dining in Old Town? We will have two free days prior to our cruise and we love to free style. Any ideas out there? We are not particular and not wimpy or meek about trying new experiences. Thanks.
We ate here and it was very good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharon's Budapest to Prague 2011 841.jpg (11.5 KB, 114 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sharon

Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011.
Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. 12/11/11.
Grand Circle's [i]Essence of the Elbe: 5/27/12/ to 6/11/12
Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn , 2012. .
Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G
Grand Circle, Burma and the Irrawaddy, Thailand and Cambodia. Nov 25, 2014. RV Paukan 2012.
Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian
AMAWaterways: Magnificent Europe. Aug 30 to Sept 14, 2015. AMACerto. Budapest to Amsterdam
Vantage: The Peruvian Amazon and Machu Picchu. 3/12/2016. Post trip to Lake Titicaca. Ship: RV Amazon Discovery
Grand Circle: Grand Baltic Sea Voyage. . 7/30/2016 to 8/15/2016. Ship: Corinthian
Viking: Castles & Legends. Munich to Budapest. 12/5/16 to 12/16/16. Viking Ve.
Viking Sky: Mediterranean Getaway, Rome to Barcelona, 2/25/17 to 3/4/17.

Grand Circle: Maritime Jewels of the British Isles. 7/23/17. Ship: Corinthian
Avalon Affinity: Burgundy & Provence with London, 10/2/17
Viking RA: Pharaohs & Pyramids. March 8, 2018
Coastal NC
3,233 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
We had soup and Hungarian gulash. Very good and at a reasonable price.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sharon's Budapest to Prague 2011 835.jpg (17.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Sharon's Budapest to Prague 2011 836.jpg (18.5 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Sharon's Budapest to Prague 2011 837.jpg (20.0 KB, 34 views)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sharon

Viking, Portraits of Southern France. 2006
Uniworld, Castles Along the Rhine, 2007
Gate 1, Thanksgiving Cruise, 2007
AMA Waterways, Portugal on the Douro, 2008
Grand Circle: Romance of the Rhine and Mosel, 2010
Viking Emerald, China's Cultural Delights. 3/28/2011
Grand Circle: Old World Prague and the Blue Danube. September 7, 2011.
Viking Spirit, Paris to Normandy. 12/11/11.
Grand Circle's [i]Essence of the Elbe: 5/27/12/ to 6/11/12
Grand Circle Russia Revealed with pretrip to Helsinki and Tallinn , 2012. .
Viking Sun, Treasures of the Rhine. Nov 11, 2012.
AMACerto, Istanbul to Budapest. May 30, 2013.
Uniworld River Queen, Classic Christmas Markets, Nuremberg to Frankfurt. Dec 5, 2013.
Vantage Travel, Croatian Odyssey & Venice with Lake Bled, Slovenia pretrip. M/Y Harmony G
Grand Circle, Burma and the Irrawaddy, Thailand and Cambodia. Nov 25, 2014. RV Paukan 2012.
Grand Circle: Spain's Northern Coast & the Bay of Biscay. 4/30/2015 to 5/21/2015. Ship: Corinthian
AMAWaterways: Magnificent Europe. Aug 30 to Sept 14, 2015. AMACerto. Budapest to Amsterdam
Vantage: The Peruvian Amazon and Machu Picchu. 3/12/2016. Post trip to Lake Titicaca. Ship: RV Amazon Discovery
Grand Circle: Grand Baltic Sea Voyage. . 7/30/2016 to 8/15/2016. Ship: Corinthian
Viking: Castles & Legends. Munich to Budapest. 12/5/16 to 12/16/16. Viking Ve.
Viking Sky: Mediterranean Getaway, Rome to Barcelona, 2/25/17 to 3/4/17.

Grand Circle: Maritime Jewels of the British Isles. 7/23/17. Ship: Corinthian
Avalon Affinity: Burgundy & Provence with London, 10/2/17
Viking RA: Pharaohs & Pyramids. March 8, 2018
Oroville, CA
17 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Thank you! Food aside, I am particularly interested in the Pilsner Urquel!
globie
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Royal Caribbean- Mexico 1998
Star Princess - Alaska 1999
Sun Princess - Panama Canal - 2002
Ruby Princess - Grand European - 2010
Avalon Tranquility - Main River Prague to Frankfurt 2012
Celebrity Solstice- Alaska- 2016
1,509 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
We ate twice at Kolkovna Restaurant. There are several restaurants with "Kolkovna" in the name. Try the one that is just across from the statue of Kafka at the entrance to the Jewish quarter. The address is V kolkovne 8
Praha 1, at the end of Kolkovne Street.

Great service, great Czech food, great Pilsner Urquell.

Also check out Prague In Your Pocket for a downloadable guide to the city.
Ontario, Canada
2,736 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
We also ate at the Kolkovna that Shorex mentioned - and really enjoyed it.

A group of us ate at the Cerveneho Pava (Red Rooster Restaurant) one evening. It is on Kamzikova - not particularly easy to find (on a back street...) - but worth the time looking for it.

If you google it, you will find quite a detailed history of the building.

We were staying at the Palace Praha hotel - and ate a couple of times at this little pizzeria called the Green Tomato. Very mismatched tables and chairs - but the food was good. We ate there the 1st night because it was close to the hotel, and the prices were reasonable. And, ended up going back as we had such a great time.

One word of warning --> "non-smoking" sections are difficult to find in restaurants (at least they were in 2009 when we were there...) and if you can find one, you often walk through the smoking area to get to it!!

Doesn't stop me from wanting to go back, however....

Fran
2,485 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
There is a wonderful french restaurant right near the Hilton Old Town--great food and not expensive. We ate there our last evening after a river cruise in Dec. It is not large, so we had the hotel make a reservation, and glad we did. Enjoy that beautiful city. Pat
florida
3,651 Posts
Joined Jun 2009
We tend to eat at small,out of the way restaurants,,most likely in Old town area.Can you just walk in without reservations,,,take your chances?If very busy,,,guess we ll have to plan ahead.?
Have cheat sheets from guide book for menu,,,maybe that ll help.And re tip...always inc..??sometime?? Frommers book mentioned service is sometines slow,lacking,etc...did you find that?
2,485 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Alexandra cruiser, The name of the french restaurant is Le Gare, menu translated. It was a busy nite, but service was very good. One of our traveling companions is severely allergic to mushrooms and the waiter was able to tell her if there were hidden mushrooms. Can't remember about the tip. If you really want to eat there, I would make a reservation. We have eaten at out of the way places and had great meals. Isn't travel wonderful? We are so fortunate to be able to visit so many different places. Pat
723 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
The most welcoming place we ate at in Prague was U Medvidku. We did not have a reservation and had to wait about 10 minutes for a table. When we arrived the place was really crowded with mostly locals. We were greeted by Georg who spoke enough English to tell us he would get us a table soon. He took good care of us and several parties came in after us, but he made sure we were seated first. The atmosphere was lively and the food great. I don't drink beer but DH said it was good.
FL
14,264 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Our best meal was at Ambiente Pasta Fresca in Old Town. We made reservations for the non smoking area. Food was fresh, delightful and well priced and service was gracious. Great wine list as well.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
143 cruises since 1964, 15 on the river.
Looking forward to:
Le Lyral, The Adriatic, September 2017
MS Joy - Magic of Advent, December 2017
Crystal Esprit, February 2018

AmaKristina, Christmas Markets, December 2018
Scenic Eclipse, April, 2019

Our river cruising history:
Avalon Luminary B2B- Christmas Markets, 2009
Avalon Affinity - Christmas Markets 2010
Avalon Panorama - Danube New Years Cruise, 2011
AmaDante -Vineyards of the Rhine and Moselle 2012
AmaCerto - Budapest to Nuremburg, 2013
AmaBella - Tulip Time, 2014
AmaDagio - Provence, 2014
AmaReina - Holiday on the Rhine 2014
SS Catherine - Provence 2015
AmaSerena Christmas on the Rhine, 2015
Scenic Diamond, Bordeaux, April 2016
AmaVida, Douro, August. 2016
AmaSonata, Romantic Danube - Oct. 2016
Joie de Vivre, Paris and Normany - April 2017
At 35,000 feet
9,051 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by globie
Thank you! Food aside, I am particularly interested in the Pilsner Urquel!
It is tougher to find a place that doesn't serve Urquel than finding ones that do.

Note that there will be WIDE variations in the pricing of the beer around town. The smaller places generally have the better pricing, while the tourist restaurants and spots on the main square can be double what you find at little restaurants on side streets. Keep your eye peeled for the chalkboards and signs outside so that you can spread your "beer budget".

Another tip...look for some of the grocery stores as a place to pick up single bottles of various Czech beers. They don't sell them in six-packs, so you can get a half-dozen (or more) different singles and have your own tasting. There is a good grocery virtually next door to the Marriott (which is across the street from the Hilton Old Town). Just a few steps from Republic Square.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Government Certified Expert"

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan
Pittsburgh, PA
123 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Thanks FlyerTalker I am a huge craft beer fan and looking forward to trying a number of the Czech beers. Tour guide we are hiring advised me of similar advice saying that in most non tourist places/hotels you can get a good .5L Czech draft for arond $2.50 US.
Ontario, Canada
2,736 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
If you are a beer fan, you should try the Czech Budweiser --> it is *NOT* the same Budweiser available in North America.

Fran
Tucson AZ
1,874 Posts
Joined Nov 2009
It was nice, there was an indoor pool and spa, buffet breakfast was included. It was pretty fancy, we did it as part of our cruise. This time we used Priceline and saved a lot of money.
Pittsburgh, PA
123 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by stretchcruz
It was nice, there was an indoor pool and spa, buffet breakfast was included. It was pretty fancy, we did it as part of our cruise. This time we used Priceline and saved a lot of money.
Stretch is this close to Hilton (we will also be there)? Looks good and like the idea of a large late lunch instead of dinner after a big breakfast. Website has interesting information about the draft beer system they have. Look like great prices!
Pittsburgh, PA
123 Posts
Joined Feb 2012
Originally posted by franski
If you are a beer fan, you should try the Czech Budweiser --> it is *NOT* the same Budweiser available in North America.

Fran
I will give it a try Fran now that you said that or would not have as I am not a big Bud fan. In fact I know my wife will like the Czech pilsners because she likes a lighter beer were I prefer something a bit heavier.
FL
14,264 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Originally posted by sunrocket
How did you like the Hilton?
We stayed at the Hilton. It is a very large, upscale convention hotel. We had a large and well appointed room and the service was very good.

If you like to walk, you can make it to the center in about 15-20 minutes. There is a also a tram stop close by.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
143 cruises since 1964, 15 on the river.
Looking forward to:
Le Lyral, The Adriatic, September 2017
MS Joy - Magic of Advent, December 2017
Crystal Esprit, February 2018

AmaKristina, Christmas Markets, December 2018
Scenic Eclipse, April, 2019

Our river cruising history:
Avalon Luminary B2B- Christmas Markets, 2009
Avalon Affinity - Christmas Markets 2010
Avalon Panorama - Danube New Years Cruise, 2011
AmaDante -Vineyards of the Rhine and Moselle 2012
AmaCerto - Budapest to Nuremburg, 2013