Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Booking through Cruise company or travel agent?

What are the pros and cons of booking directly with the cruise company vs. booking with a travel agent? I just don't see the benefit of including a middle man, so I must be missing something here.

Apr 2013 Oasis of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
Apr 2012 Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Sep 2011 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
Apr 2011 Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean
Apr 2010 Serenade of the Seas - Southern Caribbean
Apr 2009 Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Apr 2008 Enchantment of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Old March 29th, 2012, 03:50 PM
40,000+ Club

If you check around you will find TAs that eith discount the fare or offer perks (OBC, free insurance, free tips, etc.). We usually get 10 to 20% off the cruise line fare, plus some OBC.

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:31 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midiana View Post
What are the pros and cons of booking directly with the cruise company vs. booking with a travel agent? I just don't see the benefit of including a middle man, so I must be missing something here.
I agree...no reason to give up control for a few perks..and the possibility of that third party dropping the ball as has been well documented on these boards

Old March 29th, 2012, 08:12 PM
5,000+ Club

I always book directly with the cruiseline. Guess I'm just a control freak

1/8/15 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/8/14 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze Part 2)
1/12/14 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
10/10/13 Victory B2B (Victory is Mine)
1/13/13 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/24/12 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze)
1/15/12 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
12/4/11 Miracle (x-mas on the beach)
1/16/11 Noordam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
9/18/10 Fantasy
9/20/09 Sensation
11/08 Westerdam (Dave Koz & Friends)
2008 Caribbean Princess
10/2/06 Celebration
10/9/05 Destiny
2002 Costa Cruise Line

Old March 29th, 2012, 08:43 PM
40,000+ Club

With the discounts and the perks, we save anywhere for several hundred to a thousand or more by finding a good discount TA. I have never had a problem with not having control of my reservation. No question or delay in getting an answer has been worth $1000.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul929207 View Post
With the discounts and the perks, we save anywhere for several hundred to a thousand or more by finding a good discount TA. I have never had a problem with not having control of my reservation. No question or delay in getting an answer has been worth $1000.
We've always saved a bundle with a TA too. A few hundred dollars is nothing to sneeze at and I get excellent service from my TA.

But, for those that want to believe that they have better control over their booking (and don't mind overpaying for the same product), go right ahead. If you do your research, get referrals, and find a really good TA, you'd quickly see the benefit.

Celebration, 1998
Carnival Destiny, 1999
Carnival Destiny, 2000
RCCL Serenade of the Seas, 2004
Crown Princess, 2007
Carnival Fantasy, 2008
Ruby Princess, 2008
Carnival Sensation (Abbie), 2009
Carnival Fantasy, 2009
Caribbean Princess, 2009
Carnival Triumph, 2010
Emerald Princess, 2010
Golden Princess (Alaska), 2011
RCCL Voyager of the Seas, 2011
NCL Spirit, 2012
Emerald Princess, 2012
Carnival Freedom (Girls' Trip), 2013
NCL Sun, 2013
NCL Jewel, 2014
Celebrity Summit, 2014
RCCL Oasis of the Seas, 2015

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We use a TA; we get OBCs in the hundreds $ usually. Have never had any issue at all booking this way. That said, I do all the research down to the specific cabin I want.

Sailing again soon on:
NCL Gem CTN - RC Quantum of the Seas CTN - NCL Breakaway CTN - NCL Gem

Past Cruises:
Carnival Splendor RC Explorer of the SeasNCL Gem ● NCL Breakaway CTN x 2 ● Carnival Glory ● NCL Breakaway Celebrity Equinox ● NCL Jewel CTN ● NCL Gem ● Carnival GloryDisney Magic CTNCarnival Freedom ● Norwegian Star ● Norwegian Gem ● Carnival Miracle CTNCarnival GloryCaribbean Princess repositioning ● Norwegian Jewel CTN ● Carnival LegendCarnival GloryCelebrity SummitIsland Princess through Panama Canal ● Norwegian Gem CTN ● Carnival Dream CTNCarnival LibertyCarnival Triumph Carnival Miracle ● Norwegian Dawn ● Norwegian Gem CTN ● Emerald PrincessRC Explorer of the SeasCrown PrincessCaribbean PrincessCarnival FantasyCarnival ImaginationCarnival Victory

Last edited by mizlorinj; March 29th, 2012 at 09:25 PM.

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:30 PM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tralynn View Post
We've always saved a bundle with a TA too. A few hundred dollars is nothing to sneeze at and I get excellent service from my TA.

But, for those that want to believe that they have better control over their booking (and don't mind overpaying for the same product), go right ahead. If you do your research, get referrals, and find a really good TA, you'd quickly see the benefit.
Since I am a shareholder of Carnival Corp., I like it when people pay top dollar to one of the Carnival lines. It helps the earnings and therefore the stock price. Keep over paying, so we can get dividends and the Shareholder OBC on our cruises.

Old March 29th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default if they're good, they're worth it

If you can get a recommendation for a good travel agent, especially one that handles a lot of cruises, it can be well worth it (with respect to money and hassle), but a bad travel agent can be worse than none at all. Crystal requires a travel agent to do the booking, but I wasn't going to do anything until I got a recommendation for a good one (not whatever one picked up the phone). I think that the more complicated your itinerary, the more advantage a good agent can offer you (i.e not a big deal if you live in the port city, but a bigger deal if you need connecting flights at each end and you want to add on a week's car trip or something).

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul929207 View Post
Since I am a shareholder of Carnival Corp., I like it when people pay top dollar to one of the Carnival lines. It helps the earnings and therefore the stock price. Keep over paying, so we can get dividends and the Shareholder OBC on our cruises.
Brilliant strategy!

Celebration, 1998
Carnival Destiny, 1999
Carnival Destiny, 2000
Crown Princess, 2007
Carnival Fantasy, 2008
Ruby Princess, 2008
Carnival Fantasy, 2009
Caribbean Princess, 2009
Carnival Triumph, 2010
Emerald Princess, 2010
NCL Spirit, 2012
Emerald Princess, 2012
NCL Sun, 2013
NCL Jewel, 2014
Celebrity Summit, 2014

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I used to always book through the cruiseline. Now I always book through a TA.

Pros - Much better pricing, Cheap deposits, Extra OBCs, great service

I can't think of any cons booking with a TA and am disappointed that I actually booked through the cruiseline before.

The first time I booked through a TA, our cruise was within driving distance and Princess had offered a motorcoach service to the pier for $99/person so we booked this through the TA. We arrived at the bus station early and they had nothing on the schedule anywhere about where the bus was arriving and if it was on time so we waited until the time it was supposed to arrive based on our papers from Princess. Once that time came and went, I called the TA who answered herself and I explained everything and she said she would call me right back. 5 minutes later, she called with the name of the bus, where it was at now, what bay is was going to arrive at and the ETA.

I just don't think I would have gotten that level of service, that fast from Princess.

If you ever have a problem, you will want a good TA on your side.

Old March 29th, 2012, 10:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliopecruiser View Post
If you can get a recommendation for a good travel agent, especially one that handles a lot of cruises, it can be well worth it (with respect to money and hassle), but a bad travel agent can be worse than none at all. Crystal requires a travel agent to do the booking, but I wasn't going to do anything until I got a recommendation for a good one (not whatever one picked up the phone). I think that the more complicated your itinerary, the more advantage a good agent can offer you (i.e not a big deal if you live in the port city, but a bigger deal if you need connecting flights at each end and you want to add on a week's car trip or something).
I agree and would add that the best met may be to use a travel agent the ONLY sells cruises. These agents may be part of a large network that can have some pull with the cruise lines in the event of any issues. I use a TA that sells only cruises, but is very knowledgeable with other aspects of the vacations we book. I don't mind booking my own airfare/hotel if needed. Our TA has booked us on some great cruises and steered us away from some that wouldn't have suited us. She knows our likes and wants, and wouldn't book us on a cruise that wasn't suited for us.

At least when you use a TA, you have someone in your corner to go to bat for you if needed. If it's just you vs. the cruiseline, they may not be as accomodating should you need to make any type of changes. Also, some cruise agencies buy blocks of cabins on popular cruises for discount prices. The cruise line sells these blocks because they know that certain agencies WILL sell them. These TA's that do this will generally pass on the savings to you and throw in some OBC, pre-paid gratuities, etc.

Cruise Ship - Ticker

Cruise Ship - Ticker

Cruise Ship - Ticker

Cruise Ship - Ticker

Also sailed on Carnival Carnivale 1983 and SeaEscape's Scandinavian Sea 1981
Previous profile lost at some point! Have been on cruise critic since 2002.

Old March 30th, 2012, 12:16 AM
20,000+ Club

We have a TA that we have now book some 18 cruises through, they operate both online and B&M. They book "group" fares and pass at least a portion of the savings on to the client through lower prices, OBC's or both. For a recent cruise we saved hundreds on the fare, got an OBC and non-medical travel insurance...in total the savings were close to $1k. The other benefits in dealing with a good TA is that they have excellent knowledge and are there for you in the event you have a problem with the cruiseline.... you are not dealing with a faceless voice in the cruiseline's call center in who knows where and has never set foot on a ship or knows what one looks like. I have no idea why anyone would want to book directly with a cruiseline and pay their rack rate.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old March 30th, 2012, 09:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

So I shouldn't book onboard for an OBC? The one cruise I did book directly through my TA the price was the same as was listed on the RCI website.

Should I wait until the quarterly cruise-a-thon type open house things with my TA or any time?

I'm very particular about my cruises, I know exactly which ship, sailing date, and cabin I want. Will I still save any money?

Apr 2013 Oasis of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean
Apr 2012 Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Sep 2011 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
Apr 2011 Adventure of the Seas - Southern Caribbean
Apr 2010 Serenade of the Seas - Southern Caribbean
Apr 2009 Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean
Apr 2008 Enchantment of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Old March 30th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
So I shouldn't book onboard for an OBC? The one cruise I did book directly through my TA the price was the same as was listed on the RCI website.

Should I wait until the quarterly cruise-a-thon type open house things with my TA or any time?

I'm very particular about my cruises, I know exactly which ship, sailing date, and cabin I want. Will I still save any money?

I haven't found that "sales" are usually better than the price I've already booked.

If the TA isn't offering any incentive like obc or some other perk, I would call/email another or 2 to see what they have to offer, or book through the cruiseline. We have had OBC even on one or two night cruises though, so I see no reason you shouldn't be getting one.

Sailing again soon on:
NCL Gem CTN - RC Quantum of the Seas CTN - NCL Breakaway CTN - NCL Gem

Past Cruises:
Carnival Splendor RC Explorer of the SeasNCL Gem ● NCL Breakaway CTN x 2 ● Carnival Glory ● NCL Breakaway Celebrity Equinox ● NCL Jewel CTN ● NCL Gem ● Carnival GloryDisney Magic CTNCarnival Freedom ● Norwegian Star ● Norwegian Gem ● Carnival Miracle CTNCarnival GloryCaribbean Princess repositioning ● Norwegian Jewel CTN ● Carnival LegendCarnival GloryCelebrity SummitIsland Princess through Panama Canal ● Norwegian Gem CTN ● Carnival Dream CTNCarnival LibertyCarnival Triumph Carnival Miracle ● Norwegian Dawn ● Norwegian Gem CTN ● Emerald PrincessRC Explorer of the SeasCrown PrincessCaribbean PrincessCarnival FantasyCarnival ImaginationCarnival Victory

Old March 30th, 2012, 09:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

It's all relative, as good as any TA can be, they won't be there 24hrs a day ready to take your call or be accident/illness free.

Doesn't mean I don't get a TA's prices though, but for a few hundred a person at most usually, I don't find it worth it to deal with a TA.

It's not a believe that you have better control, you do have better control direct. Anything you want to change with the cruiseline, you get your TA. No matter how good a middleman, you are still dealing with one.

Last edited by gilboman; March 30th, 2012 at 09:56 AM.

Old March 30th, 2012, 12:09 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilboman View Post
It's all relative, as good as any TA can be, they won't be there 24hrs a day ready to take your call or be accident/illness free.

Doesn't mean I don't get a TA's prices though, but for a few hundred a person at most usually, I don't find it worth it to deal with a TA.

It's not a believe that you have better control, you do have better control direct. Anything you want to change with the cruiseline, you get your TA. No matter how good a middleman, you are still dealing with one.
Actually, my TA owns her own franchise and I have her business number, home number and cell number. She also has a couple of employees working for her in the small chance that she is unavailable to assist me. I've never had to contact her at an unreasonable time, but she gave me the number so that I knew I could if I felt I needed to reach her at odd hours.

And in the chance that the cruise line makes an error (which happened to me recently) she is able to handle the frustrations of getting it straightened out with the cruise line. (Which she did and got me a little something extra for the trouble.)

I don't really see how calling the cruise line directly is any easier than calling your personal TA directly. It's still just one phone call that I have to make. And I don't believe that a single cruiser has any better control than a TA that books hundreds of cabins with them a year. She has contacts at the cruise line that she deals with directly and builds a relationship with over the years.

It's a personal choice, but I just rather have an advocate on my side. And for me, hundreds in savings is substantial.

Celebration, 1998
Carnival Destiny, 1999
Carnival Destiny, 2000
Crown Princess, 2007
Carnival Fantasy, 2008
Ruby Princess, 2008
Carnival Fantasy, 2009
Caribbean Princess, 2009
Carnival Triumph, 2010
Emerald Princess, 2010
NCL Spirit, 2012
Emerald Princess, 2012
NCL Sun, 2013
NCL Jewel, 2014
Celebrity Summit, 2014

Last edited by Tralynn; March 30th, 2012 at 12:10 PM.

Old March 30th, 2012, 12:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Wow

I am very impressed with the level of service some of you have gotten using a TA. We are going to Alaska on RCI with a group so this time used a TA. I am a control freak but don't mind turning things over when someone knows more then I do. We used this lady because another couple in our group has used her for all of their cruises. We are flying to Anchorage a day ahead so needed a room there, and are taking the train to Seward. We are also staying over a day in Vancouver so needed a hotel there. Her only help with any of this was to send me a list of hotels with the prices starting at $250/per night, I am not a Motel 6 kind of person but these hotels went to over $450/per night. I made all of my own plane reservations, hotel reservations and the train reservations. We booked our cruise in Nov. and I haven't heard from her since I emailed her about hotels back in Jan. And the icing on my cake was I booked the cruise but she put the reservation in my husbands name. Of course she used my credit card as payment. lol

I know we got a bad TA. I have always gone online and done it all myself with no problem and it just doesn't sit well with me that she is making money from our group of 10 and she has done nothing to help. I know sour grapes on my part but after seeing some of the perks others have gotten who knows what the future will bring.

Old March 30th, 2012, 12:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Actually, my TA owns her own franchise and I have her business number, home number and cell number. She also has a couple of employees working for her in the small chance that she is unavailable to assist me. I've never had to contact her at an unreasonable time, but she gave me the number so that I knew I could if I felt I needed to reach her at odd hours.

And in the chance that the cruise line makes an error (which happened to me recently) she is able to handle the frustrations of getting it straightened out with the cruise line. (Which she did and got me a little something extra for the trouble.)

I don't really see how calling the cruise line directly is any easier than calling your personal TA directly. It's still just one phone call that I have to make. And I don't believe that a single cruiser has any better control than a TA that books hundreds of cabins with them a year. She has contacts at the cruise line that she deals with directly and builds a relationship with over the years.

It's a personal choice, but I just rather have an advocate on my side. And for me, hundreds in savings is substantial.
So you can call your TA at 3am and make changes?

But it is a personal choice, it's a generation gap more than anything. My mom's generation likes dealing with TA's and middleman, while I avoid them at all cost. I want things done now and fast, one call to TA or cruiseline, latter will be faster for what I need/want, i guess that's why they call the young people the instant gratification crowd! lol But as long as it works for you, that's why PVP's and TA's still exist, even if they are a dying breed.

Last edited by gilboman; March 30th, 2012 at 12:21 PM.

Old March 30th, 2012, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I'm the same way. I just email her or call and say I want to book Voyage XYZ. She gives me the price which is always several hundred dollars cheaper than booking directly and I give her my credit card. She asks me what I would like for a cabin and offers suggestions if I need them. I can usually have the cruise booked in less than 5 minutes since she already has all my info.

As for waiting for sales, I usually don't bother as most TAs can already get better pricing. The last cruise I booked, she was $300/pp cheaper plus I got an onboard credit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilboman View Post
So you can call your TA at 3am and make changes?

But it is a personal choice, it's a generation gap more than anything. My mom's generation likes dealing with TA's and middleman, while I avoid them at all cost. I want things done now and fast, one call to TA or cruiseline, latter will be faster for what I need/want, i guess that's why they call the young people the instant gratification crowd! lol But as long as it works for you, that's why PVP's and TA's still exist, even if they are a dying breed.
I'm in the younger generation, but still prefer a TA. Other than not being able to call at 3am I still get instant gratification. I don't need to call an 800 number and press 4 for existing bookings and wait on hold. I just call an 800 number and someone that knows me answers by the 3rd ring. And of course, the $500+ I save each cruise is nice to have in my pocket to offset my bar bill a little.

Last edited by Habs_Fan; March 30th, 2012 at 02:58 PM.