Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
- Read thousands of Royal Caribbean Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
- Write a Royal Caribbean Cruise Review
- Find Your Royal Caribbean Roll Call
See posts about:
Adventure of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Quantum of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas

Allure of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Vision of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Legend of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

Old April 2nd, 2012, 11:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question upgrade preferences restrictions

Maybe I am just thick headed but I do not understand what the restrictions mean. This is what it says.

I would like an upgrade but have restrictions

inside promenade
Friends & Family
Boardwalk or Promenade
Accessible stateroom
consecutive sailings
same deck

Do you select the restrictions you want to be upgraded to or do you select the ones you don't want upgraded to? What does friends and family mean? The restrictions just don't make sense to me. What am I missing? I would call and ask but I already know that if I called ten times I would get ten different answers.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsealin View Post
Maybe I am just thick headed but I do not understand what the restrictions mean. This is what it says.

inside promenade
Friends & Family
Boardwalk or Promenade
Accessible stateroom
consecutive sailings
same deck

Do you select the restrictions you want to be upgraded to or do you select the ones you don't want upgraded to? What does friends and family mean? The restrictions just don't make sense to me. What am I missing? I would call and ask but I already know that if I called ten times I would get ten different answers.
Yea seems dumb!!!!!!

Old April 3rd, 2012, 01:31 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:

inside promenade
Friends & Family
Boardwalk or Promenade
Accessible stateroom
consecutive sailings
same deck

I can tell you about 4 of them:

friends and family - I am traveling with others and want my cabin to be near theirs, so I only want an upgrade if we all still are neighbors.

accessible stateroom - I only want an upgrade if I can still have a handicapped accessible cabin.

consecutive cabins - I am on a back to back cruise, and I currently have the same cabin for both cruises, so I only want an upgrade if you will change my cabin for both cruises and it is the same cabin.

same deck - I only want an upgrade if the upgraded cabin is on the same deck as the cabin that I booked.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

If you do not check any .. does that mean I do NOT want to be upgraded?

When I pick a specific cabin .. I do not want an upgrade period.

Past Cruises:
Oct. 2014 - Enchantment of the Seas (4)
Jan. 2014 - Celebrity Equinox (10), May 2013 - Grand Princess (10 day Alaska from San Francisco), Feb. 2012 - Ryndam (7), April 2011 - Radiance of the Seas (15 day Reposition - Panama Canal)
Feb. 2010 - Emerald Princess (7), Feb. 2009 - Caribbean Princess (7), Jan. 2008 - Adventure of the Seas (7), June 2007 - Mariner of the Seas (7), July 2002 - Explorer of the Seas (7), Feb. 1996 - Song of America (7)

Old April 3rd, 2012, 09:58 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:

inside promenade
Friends & Family
Boardwalk or Promenade
Accessible stateroom
consecutive sailings
same deck

You are not alone in having trouble understanding. They should have another option which says, "I want to be upgraded, but call me first". There's no way to select that on the website. However, if you call C&A and mention that, they can change it on the website so it says you want to be upgraded, but none of the other conditions are checked. Essentially, this would be the "call me" option.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Last edited by clarea; April 3rd, 2012 at 09:59 AM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:18 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeagle12 View Post

You can change your Upgrade Preferences for each cruise you book. If you have booked a specific cabin, then nothing should be checked for that particular cruise.

Pinnacle Club

"Successful People Keep Moving On. They Make Mistakes, But They Don't Quit!"
Conrad Hilton

Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:38 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:

Bad web site design to have "radio buttons" without an option to turn them all off. Once you select one of them there is no way to un-select as with a check box. So you either have 'Automatic upgrades" or "restricted upgrade". Sad to say but if you are booked in a non-accessible balcony or higher you can select "accessible stateroom" and safely be assured you will not be upgraded because most ships there are only two that would qualify and they are always booked. Worst case and one is available they would have to call to determine eligibility so you could decline then.

Quote:
You can change your Upgrade Preferences for each cruise you book. If you have booked a specific cabin, then nothing should be checked for that particular cruise.
I'm curious - where is this selection made for a specific booking? I've looked all over my current reservation but don't see it.

RCI -Mariner of the Seas - May 2012 - TA Miami to Rome
RCI - Serenade of the Seas February 12, 2011 - So. Caribbean
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas- April 13, 2008 TA Miami to London
HAL - Veendam - June 16, 2002, Alaska

At the moment I have half a mind to go look for the rest

Old April 3rd, 2012, 10:43 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim88 View Post
I'm curious - where is this selection made for a specific booking? I've looked all over my current reservation but don't see it.
Sorry, I should clarify my comment. Just like with the beverage that comes with the Welcome Aboard Basket as well as the D+ amenitu(s) that can be ordered, you can change these items for each cruise by making a different selection.

Since upgrades are usually given after final payment and closer to departure date you can set your upgrade preference for you most current cruise and then change those preferences for each cruise thereafter upon your return home.

Your preferences are not set in stone and can be changed to suit each cruise you have booked. It's just a matter of going in and resetting your preferences.

Pinnacle Club

"Successful People Keep Moving On. They Make Mistakes, But They Don't Quit!"
Conrad Hilton

Last edited by cruisenfever; April 3rd, 2012 at 10:48 AM.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:17 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim88 View Post
Bad web site design to have "radio buttons" without an option to turn them all off. Once you select one of them there is no way to un-select as with a check box. So you either have 'Automatic upgrades" or "restricted upgrade". Sad to say but if you are booked in a non-accessible balcony or higher you can select "accessible stateroom" and safely be assured you will not be upgraded because most ships there are only two that would qualify and they are always booked. Worst case and one is available they would have to call to determine eligibility so you could decline then.

I agree with you about the very poor website design. However, as I mentioned above, you can get the checkbox checked next to "I would like an upgrade but have restrictions", with no radio buttons selected. Unfortunately, you must call C&A to do it. The website won't allow it.

Past Cruises

RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Old April 3rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisenfever View Post
Sorry, I should clarify my comment. Just like with the beverage that comes with the Welcome Aboard Basket as well as the D+ amenitu(s) that can be ordered, you can change these items for each cruise by making a different selection.

Since upgrades are usually given after final payment and closer to departure date you can set your upgrade preference for you most current cruise and then change those preferences for each cruise thereafter upon your return home.

Your preferences are not set in stone and can be changed to suit each cruise you have booked. It's just a matter of going in and resetting your preferences.
This is true for the most part. However, for those who have cruises booked close together, such as consecutive cruises, it's not a good design. Say you want a different amenity or upgrade choice for cruise 1 vs cruise 2. How do we know when they have read our choice for cruise 1 and it's safe to change the the preference for cruise 2? Even then, if your B2B was 2 15 day cruises, you could probably make it work. But if your B2B is a 3 day followed by a 4 day, it would be impossible to know when you could change the preference for cruise 2, without messing up the preference for cruise 1.

A better design would be to add "per cruise" preference selections, in the same area where you choose excursions, wine packages, etc. I'd keep the current preference section under the profile area, as a method to initially populate the settings for each cruise. This way, folks who never change their preferences would have nothing to change. However, those of us who change preferences "per cruise" would have a way to make changes specific to a cruise.

Bob

Past Cruises

Last edited by clarea; April 3rd, 2012 at 11:30 AM.

Old April 3rd, 2012, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Promenade Cabin preference

Quote:

inside promenade
Friends & Family
Boardwalk or Promenade
Accessible stateroom
consecutive sailings
same deck

You are selecting what you DO NOT want them to change and you are defining what you like or need.

Adding to the response of Merion Mom-

People (we) who book PRomenade cabins select this inside class to save money, central midship (front to
back-top to bottom) location, floor plan and view from the room. It is normally the most expensive inside
cabin and an upgrade (one catagory) would be an ocean view located on the lower decks or the front of
the ship. In as much as we cant say upgrade to balcony only, we elect not to upgrade.

Past Cruises:
RCCL Explorer of the Seas - May 2009 5 NIGHT BERMUDA CRUISE
RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Nov 2009 8 NIGHT BAHAMAS THANKSGIVING CRUISE
RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Nov 2010 9 NIGHT EASTERN CARIBBEAN THANKSGIVING CRUISE
RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Nov 2011 11 NIGHT SOUTHERN CARIBBEAN THANKSGIVING CRUISE
RCCL Explorer of the Seas - Nov 2012 9 NIGHT EASTERN CARIBBEAN THANKSGIVING CRUISE
Celebrity Century- Sept 2013 11 NIGHT ULTIMATE ALASKA & CANADIAN PORTS CRUISE