Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
- Read thousands of Celebrity Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Celebrity Cruise Deals
- Write a Celebrity Cruise Review
- Find Your Celebrity Roll Call
See posts about:
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Summit

Celebrity Eclipse
Celebrity Reflection
Celebrity Xpedition

Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Silhouette

Celebrity Infinity
Celebrity Solstice

Old April 5th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Celebrity with kids?

Hi

Our last 5 cruises have been with RCCL - but we're thinking of doing Celebrity this time because we like the itinerary better. I tried doing a search but couldn't find much on Celebrity with kids. What are your thoughts? We're looking at the Equinox next February - I think it is an 11 day .

I've read that Celebrity is much more layed back than RCCL - which is just fine by me...there is nothing like sitting by the pool with a good book But is there enough for the kids to do (including my big kid - my husabnd!)? It will be my husband, myself and our 11 year old daughter. Plus my parents (both in the 70's), my sister and her 7 year old daughter.

Thanks for any input!

Patty

Old April 5th, 2012, 09:54 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by patl95 View Post
Hi

Our last 5 cruises have been with RCCL - but we're thinking of doing Celebrity this time because we like the itinerary better. I tried doing a search but couldn't find much on Celebrity with kids. What are your thoughts? We're looking at the Equinox next February - I think it is an 11 day .

I've read that Celebrity is much more layed back than RCCL - which is just fine by me...there is nothing like sitting by the pool with a good book But is there enough for the kids to do (including my big kid - my husabnd!)? It will be my husband, myself and our 11 year old daughter. Plus my parents (both in the 70's), my sister and her 7 year old daughter.

Thanks for any input!

Patty
Celebrity has excellent childrens programs, I found that they gave more individualized treatment to the kids. They do not have rock climbing walls or surfer areas. I would however state that an 11 day might not find too many kids on board.

Old April 5th, 2012, 10:10 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default 5 cruises with our kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Celebrity has excellent childrens programs, I found that they gave more individualized treatment to the kids. They do not have rock climbing walls or surfer areas. I would however state that an 11 day might not find too many kids on board.
We've done 5 cruises with our kids who over the years ranged from 7 to 13. They loved Celebrity and the cruises they loved the best were the TA's in early December when there weren't many kids on board. The kids club staff gave them lots of individual attention and gave them plenty to do. They also liked doing stuff with us too so it was a great time for both kids stuff and more grown up stuff. My son when he was 13 liked watching the on demand movies in room when there wasn't any thing exciting going on, but over all I would recommend Celebrity for families who like a more low key vacation, if you need non stop activity like skating and rock climbing RCL is a better choice, but Celebrity works great for my family.

Bon Vivant -76
World Renaissance - 78
Boheme - 79
Stattendam - 80
Fair Sea - 81
Rotterdam - 93
Mercury - 03
Infinity 11/20/05
Mercury 11/20/06
Mercury 6/15/07 Alaska
Summit 11/29/08 Transatlantic
Solstice 11/2009 Rome to Ft. Lauderdale!
Equinox 2010 Ultimate Caribbean
Silhouette March BTB East/West Caribbean 2013
Silhouette Feb 2014 - Wine Maker's Cruise
Vision of the Seas Dec 2014 -Western Caribbean
Solstice June 19th, 2015 Wine Maker's Cruise to Alaska

Old April 5th, 2012, 11:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hard to say whether the parents think the Kids are having more fun on Celebrity or if the Kids themselves would rather be on RCCl or Disney.

Every Celebrity cruise I've been on spotting a child has been a bit like "Where's Nemo"?. I would think it takes a very quiet child to enjoy Celebrity.

Past Cruises
June 20, 2014 Celebrity Solstice-Alaska Inside Passage 7 Nt.
Feb 22, 2014 Princess Sapphire-Mexican Riviera 7 Nt.
Nov 1, 2013 Celebrity Reflection-Westbound Transatlantic Rome to Miami 15 Nt.
July 12, 2013 Celebrity Solstice-Alaska Inside Passage 7 Nt.
Feb 23, 2013 Princess Sapphire-Hawaii 14 Nt.
Dec 2, 2012 Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas-Western Caribbean 7 Nt.
Sept 22 2012 Celebrity Summit-New England/Canada 14 Nt.
May 27, 2012 Celebrity Millennium-Pacific Wine Cruise 5 Nt.
April 27, 2012 Princess Island-Panama Canal 14 Nt.
Nov 30, 2011 Celebrity Silhouette-Southern Caribbean 12 Nt.
July 10, 2011 Princess Sapphire-Alaska Inside Passage 7 Nt.
June 4, 2011 Celebrity Eclipse-Italian Mediterranean 14 Nt.
April 2, 2011 Celebrity Eclipse-Western Caribbean 7 Nt.
Feb 2, 2011 Princess Golden-Hawaii 14 Nt.
Aug 10, 2010 Princess Caribbean-NE/Canada 7 Nt.
May 9, 2010 Princess Golden-Pacific NorthWest 5 Nt.
Feb 21, 2010 Princess Caribbean-Eastern Caribbean 7 Nt.

Old April 6th, 2012, 12:58 AM
20,000+ Club

The chances of having other school age kids on board is pretty small. Not many parents can take kids out of school for 11 days. I've been on numerous cruises on Celebrity that were longer than the usual 7 days, and you could count on one hand the number of school age kids on board. So, you might find a VERY limited kids program, so that's something to consider.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 6th, 2012, 08:44 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shake View Post
Hard to say whether the parents think the Kids are having more fun on Celebrity or if the Kids themselves would rather be on RCCl or Disney.

Every Celebrity cruise I've been on spotting a child has been a bit like "Where's Nemo"?. I would think it takes a very quiet child to enjoy Celebrity.
Not true, they have great programs for kids and my son is very outgoing and friendly, daughter just the opposite. They enjoyed Celebrity more than Royal and a couple of other lines. They are adults now.

Old April 6th, 2012, 08:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'd say that a lot depends on your kids. If they like groups of kids, team activities, etc... they might not have many playmates on an 11 day during school time.

If they prefer individual attention, they might enjoy it very much.

My daughter has been with us on Disney, Carnival, RCL, Celebrity, and Princess. So far her favorite kids club experience was with Celebrity on a 14 day Baltic trip when there were only 12 other kids under 18 onboard. DD was 10 yrs old. On that trip we knew all four kids club crew members by name and they had a great time.

Old April 6th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just got off Solstice with our four grandchildren, ages 4 through 10. They all loved it, spending some time in the Fun Factory, some time with the family. To be fair, there were over 200 kids on this cruise and they did enjoy the group activities: scavenger hunts, talent show, etc.

Old April 6th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Teens

We'll be traveling with a 16 year old. Anyone know how the teen program works?

Old April 6th, 2012, 05:21 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomarc View Post
We'll be traveling with a 16 year old. Anyone know how the teen program works?
To be honest, teens generally don't care for the program---they find it lame. Teens tend find each other and hang out as a group. But if your teen wants to be in the program, they just go to the teen area during operating hours.

Old April 6th, 2012, 05:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm expecting our teen will go along at the beginning. Quickly find a couple of other teens and then they'll do their own thing. Just chillin in the sun and around the pool. To be fair she's 15

Old April 6th, 2012, 05:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfgal View Post
I'm expecting our teen will go along at the beginning. Quickly find a couple of other teens and then they'll do their own thing. Just chillin in the sun and around the pool. To be fair she's 15
Yup, that's pretty much what the teens do...

Old April 6th, 2012, 06:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkjretired View Post
Yup, that's pretty much what the teens do...
I guess it's awhile since our kids were younger that I forget how they work! Thanks.

Old April 6th, 2012, 06:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are going to be sailing on the Reflection April next year when my son will turn 3 and my daughter at 5. We have heard from our neighbor that the Celeb did a great keeping the kids entertained during the day and they had baby sitters in their cabin for those late night parties for a small fee.

3-5 years will be in the same group so my two kids are going to be hanging out together.

Old April 6th, 2012, 07:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfgal View Post
My teen DD enjoyed our Equinox cruise last summer. She thought the teen activities were a useful way to meet up with other teens. She'd show up for scheduled events but if the activity was "lame" then she and a few newly made friends would go off on their own. One nice thing about the activities was that they often closed off an area for the teens to use for a special event. For example, one night they had a private teen pool party at the Solarium pool, which is normally adults only. Another time they had a teen dance party in Quasar. She said that these events were pretty well attended.
Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Eastbound TA - 6/13; Celebrity Silhouette - W. Caribbean - 3/13; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 12/12; Celebrity Equinox - E. Mediterranean - 6/11; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 3/11; Queen Victoria - Mexican Getaway - 2/11; Mariner of the Seas - Mexico - 3/10; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 10/09; Crown Princess - British Isles - 7/09; Celebrity Summit - E. Mediterranean - 6/08; Dawn Princess - Pacific Coastal - 5/08; Golden Princess - Mexico - 3/08; Diamond Princess - Mexico - 3/07; Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 8/06; Caribbean Princess - 6/05; HAL Ryndam - Alaska - 8/96
Upcoming Cruise:
Crown Princess - Mexico - 12/20/14
Caribbean Princess - Baltic Heritage - 6/27/15

Old April 6th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by junglejane View Post
My teen DD enjoyed our Equinox cruise last summer. She thought the teen activities were a useful way to meet up with other teens. She'd show up for scheduled events but if the activity was "lame" then she and a few newly made friends would go off on their own.
Will the scheduled teen activities be posted in the daily newsletter?

Old April 6th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by geomarc View Post
Will the scheduled teen activities be posted in the daily newsletter?
As I recall, there was a daily activity sheet for the teen activities and one for the children's activities. (Our DD's were 14 and 10 at the time.) They were delivered to our stateroom each night and listed the next day's activities.
Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Eastbound TA - 6/13; Celebrity Silhouette - W. Caribbean - 3/13; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 12/12; Celebrity Equinox - E. Mediterranean - 6/11; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 3/11; Queen Victoria - Mexican Getaway - 2/11; Mariner of the Seas - Mexico - 3/10; Sapphire Princess - Mexico - 10/09; Crown Princess - British Isles - 7/09; Celebrity Summit - E. Mediterranean - 6/08; Dawn Princess - Pacific Coastal - 5/08; Golden Princess - Mexico - 3/08; Diamond Princess - Mexico - 3/07; Celebrity Infinity - Alaska - 8/06; Caribbean Princess - 6/05; HAL Ryndam - Alaska - 8/96
Upcoming Cruise:
Crown Princess - Mexico - 12/20/14
Caribbean Princess - Baltic Heritage - 6/27/15

Old April 6th, 2012, 11:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

My very active two boys who were ages 9 and 11 at the time loved our cruise on Celebrity Summit at Spring Break a couple years ago. We just went on RCCL Voyageur of the Seas last month and they told me that they liked their Celebrity Cruise better. There was plenty to do in the Celebrity kids club and they got to know the kids on board better because there were so many less of them.

Old April 8th, 2012, 12:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just returned from spring break cruise on Celebrity Summit. My 6 & 8 year olds loved it and really liked the Fun Factory program. After reading here, I was a little concerned that there wouldn't be very many kids since Celebrity is not as popular with families as RCL, Carnival, Disney etc. I was wrong - we heard that there were approximately 400 kids under 18 on the cruise! So if you go during the holiday weeks, they'll be there!

Old April 8th, 2012, 01:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

400 out of 2000 guest?. OMG.. That is a really high ratio. For those of us seeking a quiet vacation I'll be spending most of my time in the adults only areas!!!

Last edited by NCRay; April 8th, 2012 at 01:54 PM.