Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old May 14th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Holland America - Eurodam - Use of IPAD

I am traveling Holland America in June of this year to Denmark, Estonia, Russia, Germany, Sweden, and Finland. I have taken my laptop on many HAL cruises and had no problems connecting via their WIFI. I pay for the 250 minute package and I have had no issues. I now have an IPDA 3 and I would like to bring my IPAD but I am hearing that they having connectivity issues that using the WIFI on the ship. Has anyone sailed recently on the Eurodam and used an IPAD to connect to HAL WIFI on board the ship? Thank you.
2011 - Nieuw Amsterdam - Mediterranean
2012 - Eurodam - Baltics
2014 - Noordam - Istanbul to Athens
2015 - Prinsendam - Amsterdam to Barcelona

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 14th, 2012, 06:13 PM
5,000+ Club

THe Ipad's wireless radio is relatively weak - especially compared to a laptop or even a Kindle Fire. That said, they ARE usable, but you need to be very close to a wireless access point.

Old May 14th, 2012, 06:23 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakrewser View Post
THe Ipad's wireless radio is relatively weak - especially compared to a laptop or even a Kindle Fire. That said, they ARE usable, but you need to be very close to a wireless access point.
The weak wireless radio is a myth propogated on the HAL boards. I have used my iPad around the world on WiFi. I have used it four times on HAL. If there is something weak it is the HAL WiFi networks.

Old May 14th, 2012, 06:31 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4515 View Post
The weak wireless radio is a myth propogated on the HAL boards. I have used my iPad around the world on WiFi. I have used it four times on HAL. If there is something weak it is the HAL WiFi networks.
No myth at all, but personal experience (and well documented in the tech media). While I could use my laptop and Fire in my cabin, the iPad needed to be much closer to the WAP. Did I use my iPad on the Ryndam? Yes, I did. Could I use it anywhere I wanted to? No, not at all.

ASs to the wifi signal - it's no different on HAL's ships then on the others I've used it on - Princess, Celebrity, NCL and more.

Last edited by dakrewser; May 14th, 2012 at 06:32 PM.

Old May 14th, 2012, 06:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles4515 View Post
It's not a myth or restricted to the HAL boards. A lot of people have wi-fi problems with the latest iPad, including a friend of mine... one of the few times I've been grateful for not being able to afford a new product!

Take a look:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/21/...n-on-new-ipad/
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._new_ipad.html

That said I haven't used an iPad onboard so my advice would be to test your iPad to see how strong the connections are versus your laptop. For example go to speedtest.net and run the test on your iPad, and then do the same with your laptop.

Old May 14th, 2012, 06:52 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cru1sinforabruisin View Post
It's not a myth or restricted to the HAL boards. A lot of people have wi-fi problems with the latest iPad, including a friend of mine... one of the few times I've been grateful for not being able to afford a new product!

Take a look:
http://www.macrumors.com/2012/03/21/...n-on-new-ipad/
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles..._new_ipad.html

That said I haven't used an iPad onboard so my advice would be to test your iPad to see how strong the connections are versus your laptop. For example go to speedtest.net and run the test on your iPad, and then do the same with your laptop.
Those articles say a few people have reported issues. I have had an iPad 1 and I now have the new iPad 3. I have not been onboard with the new one yet but I have done speedtests at Starbucks and Whole Foods. My new iPad 3 gets a faster and better connection on their WiFi than with the iPad 1. And the connection is as fast as on my laptop WiFi. My laptop is four years old. One thing interesting though, the LTE cellular is faster than the WiFi at either of those stores. On my home network the WiFi is somewhatt faster than LTE but you have to do a speedtest to tell.

Cruise ships unfortunatly have crummy wireless. And HAL has about the worst. Last December I did back to back on Allure of the Seas and the next week on Nieuw Amsterdam. Allure of the Seas WiFi was faster and better than NA.

Last edited by Charles4515; May 14th, 2012 at 06:54 PM.

Old May 14th, 2012, 07:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
No myth at all, but personal experience (and well documented in the tech media). While I could use my laptop and Fire in my cabin, the iPad needed to be much closer to the WAP. Did I use my iPad on the Ryndam? Yes, I did. Could I use it anywhere I wanted to? No, not at all.

ASs to the wifi signal - it's no different on HAL's ships then on the others I've used it on - Princess, Celebrity, NCL and more.
Do you have a WiFI only iPad or a WiFi plus cellular iPad? Some of the articles say that the WiFi plus cellular model gets a better WiFi signal because the antennas are located behind plastic on those.

Old May 14th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Really interesting. Celebrity even promotes them. I've used mine on both (was warned on HaL not to expect much reception) and it did work on both ... but better on Celebrity. Coincidence? I don't know.

Old May 14th, 2012, 11:21 PM
5,000+ Club

Testing at Starbucks doesn't count because the WAP is almst directly overhead - the problem is how far from the WAP you can get with an iPad and still get a connection. This has nothing to do with speed, just wifi connecton.

Old May 14th, 2012, 11:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Testing at Starbucks doesn't count because the WAP is almst directly overhead - the problem is how far from the WAP you can get with an iPad and still get a connection. This has nothing to do with speed, just wifi connecton.
And on HAL the problem in my opinion is that they have skimped on the WAP's. I go on three to five cruises a year so I can compare their WiFi to other cruise lines with the same devices. As I mentioned last December I cruises on Allure of the Seas and Nieuw Amsterdam, both ships,of relatively recent vintage. The WiFi on Allure was noticeably better with the same iPad 1. It was the network, not the device. Not that any of the cruise lines have great WiFi.......

By the way I live in a condo and I can see 8 other strong networks besides my own on my iPad 3. There are another 9 that show weak signals.

Last edited by Charles4515; May 14th, 2012 at 11:43 PM.

Old May 15th, 2012, 12:16 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I used my ipad2 in my cabin on Oosterdam with no problems.

Past Cruises
Grand Princess 5/13 Star Princess 12/12
Oosterdam 5/12
Maasdam 1/12 Maasdam 8/11 Rotterdam 1/11 Zuiderdam 7/10 Zaandam 3/10 Equinox 11/09 Westerdam 5/09 Oosterdam 2/09 Millennium 9/08 Ryndam 2/08 Ryndam 7/07 Ryndam 7/07 Oosterdam 1/07 Oosterdam 2/07 Summit 9/06 Summit 4/9/06 Veendam11/26/05 Constellation 9/10/05, Oosterdam 4/30/05, Ryndam 3/6/05, Infiniity 12/5/04, Westerdam 9/25/04, Mercury 5/04, Infinity 11/03 B2B, Ryndam 10/03, Summit 3/03 B2B, Zaandam 11/02, Statendam 4/02, Grand Princess 8/01, Nowegian Majesty 7/00, Independence 8/98, Royal Majesty 6/96, Fair Princess 7/95, Constitution 8/93, Norway 6/92, Dawn Princess 4/91, Viking Serenade 7/90, Viking Serenade 1/90, Independence 8/89, Sovereign of the Seas 8/88, Song of Norway 3/87, Independence 8/86

Email me

Old May 15th, 2012, 05:35 AM
20,000+ Club

I used my ipad in our cabin on the Nieuw Amsterdam without a problem, in fact we had three of them going at once on occasion.

Old May 15th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by butlerana View Post
Really interesting. Celebrity even promotes them.

it's because Celebrity sells Apple products on thier ships. The computer room is entirely Macbooks.
HAL Volendam - Jan 2003
Royal Olympic Explorer - Aug 2003
Cunard QM 2 - Jan 2004
Cunard QM 2 - Jan 2005
Celebrity Century - Sept 2005
RCCL Serenade of the Seas - Jun 2006
HAL Noordam - Feb 2007
Celebrity Galaxy - Aug 2007
HAL Oosterdam - Feb 2008
Cunard Queen Victoria - June 2008
HAL Statendam - Apr 2009
HAL Maasdam - Dec 2009
Celebrity Constellation - Apr 2011
Celebrity Millennium - Sept 2011
Cunard Queen Victoria - Dec 2011
Celebrity Solstice - April 2012
HAL Eurodam - Sept 2012
Cunard Queen Mary 2 - Dec 2012
Silversea Silver Spirit - Dec 2013
Avalon Impression - July 2014
Cunard Queen Mary 2 Dec 2014

Last edited by gentlemancruiser; May 15th, 2012 at 08:02 AM. Reason: spelling

Old May 15th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Our neighbor on our last cruise was picking up wifi from shore on her netbook and was unable to see it on my iPad. They don't have the range of larger machines which seems reasonable because of the antenna size constants.

My home wifi was fine with my notebook anywhere in the house. When we got iPads, I needed to add a repeater.

It's a minor issue -- I love my iPad

Laissez les bons temps rouler Let the good times roll!

Song Of Norway, Tropicale, Costa's Daphne, Regent Sun, Seabreeze, Regent Sun, Horizon, Crown Princess, Regal Princess, Statendam, Monarch Of The Seas, Carnival Spirit, Infinity, Mercury, Mercury, Mercury , Carnival Spirit, Serenade of the Seas, Carnival Spirit B2B, Mercury, Mercury, Carnival Elation, Zaandam, Radiance of the Seas, Carnival Spirit B2B, Carnival Spirit, Celebrity Century, Zuiderdam, Celebrity Century, Celebrity Century , Carnival Conquest B2B, Celebrity Eclipse April 5th 2014 Southern Caribbean, Legend of the Seas November 3rd, 2014 Quebec to Ft Lauderdale, Celebrity Equinox April 17th Southern Caribbean , October 2015 B2B Carnival Dream from New Orleans; March 26, & April 2nd 2016 B2B Celebrity Reflection
cool:

Last edited by CRUZBUDS; May 15th, 2012 at 10:40 AM.