Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old April 9th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Nuro questions?????

Leaving in less than 2 weeks on the Crown..... We are not stressing out about it or anything but are aware that good restroom hygine and a quick wipedown of the cabin upon embarkation can go along way.

With that being said any suggestions of what to use in the cabin, wet ones, lysol, purell, bleach, flame-thrower???

Thanks......

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 9th, 2012, 09:22 PM
30,000+ Club

I've never wiped down my cabin as that's done before I board. Just keep washing your hands and don't touch your mouth. Purell and others like them do more to make you feel better than prevent Noro unless you're using a formula specifically for Noro, which is a virus, not a bacteria

Boston. Strong.

* Me ziplining across Victoria Falls: https://plus.google.com/photos/10147...83463276981969
* Safari photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/1014740...eat=directlink

Upcoming:
Royal Princess -- Copenhagen > NY 9/10/14
Crown Princess -- 10/18/14 BVE
Grand Princess -- LA > HI > LA 2/17/15
OAT African Safari -- 10/5/15
Pacific Princess 50th Anniversary cruise -- 12/3/15

Old April 9th, 2012, 09:51 PM
50,000+ Club

Norovirus???

It's true...it's a VIRUS...not germs or bacteria. You've probably been exposed to it sometime in your life. Ever had a "stomach flu" (there's no such thing...it's NORO!)...? That's it!
Aside from not touching your mouth, your EYES and NOSE are entry points, too! And, if someone vomits, the air can become saturated with the virus....it's not simply via touch!

Wipe your cabin if you will feel better....it probably won't kill any viruses that may be lingering, but you'll feel better about the whole thing!

Old April 9th, 2012, 09:59 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Wipe your cabin if you will feel better....it probably won't kill any viruses that may be lingering, but you'll feel better about the whole thing!
And welcome aboard the Placebo Princess!
1/06 Westerdam -W. Caribbean * 1/07 Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera * 1/08 Zuiderdam - E. Caribbean * 4/08 Celebrity Mercury - Alaska * 12/09 Crown Princess - W. Caribbean * 8/10 Sea Princess - Alaska * 1/11 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 4/11 Island Princess - Panama full transit * 8/11 Sea Princess - Alaska * 2/12 Grand Princess - E. Caribbean * 4/12 Coral Princess - Panama full transit * 12/12 Star Princess - SFO to Buenos Aires * 4/13 Golden Princess - Hawaii * 10/13 Royal Princess - Venice to FLL * 2/14 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera * 8/14 Star Princess - Alaska * 7/15 Diamond Princess - Japan

Old April 9th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just off the Crown this past Saturday...here's what we did. We washed our hands thoroughly with hot water after using the washrooms. We did not use a paper towel to open the door to leave public washrooms, but did use the Purell stations at the entrance to the buffets/dining rooms/a la cartes after using the washroom, or just upon arriving at our dining spot. Basically, we used common sense. Granted, if we'd been on one of the sailings within a week or two of the Crown's last noro outbreak, we would've been a lot more careful, but given that the ship has been noro-free for several weeks now, we felt safe in just using our usual everyday hand washing practices. Wash your hands frequently after being in public places...that will go a long way towards enjoying your trip! Have fun!

Old April 9th, 2012, 11:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam in CA View Post
I've never wiped down my cabin as that's done before I board. Just keep washing your hands and don't touch your mouth. Purell and others like them do more to make you feel better than prevent Noro unless you're using a formula specifically for Noro, which is a virus, not a bacteria
The stewards and crew wipe down every surface of the ship including cabin walls whenever there is Norovirus on the ship. There will be a letter from the Ship's Doctor waiting in your room when you board - just follow those precautions and you should be good.

I am convinced more viruses are caught on airplanes than there are onboard cruise ships because of the diligence of the crews to prevent contamination.

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Norovirus???

It's true...it's a VIRUS...not germs or bacteria. You've probably been exposed to it sometime in your life. Ever had a "stomach flu" (there's no such thing...it's NORO!)...? That's it!
Aside from not touching your mouth, your EYES and NOSE are entry points, too! And, if someone vomits, the air can become saturated with the virus....it's not simply via touch!

That being the case, I assume washing out your mask and hose for your c-pap machine with tap water would be a mistake?

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:26 AM
50,000+ Club

The biggest to remember to do -- wash your hands, wash your hands and wash your hands. Sing "Happy Birthday" twice when washing your hands.

I do carry a tiny bottle of Purell for when we are on excursions.

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:41 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Norovirus???

In the interest of accuracy, both viruses and bacteria are part of the family of germs.

As always, the best advice is thorough hand washing, not touching the face, and staying away from people who are obviously ill.

beachchick

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:17 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanoNorthPerth View Post
That being the case, I assume washing out your mask and hose for your c-pap machine with tap water would be a mistake?
No, it wouldn't be a mistake. There isn't anything wrong with the water coming out of the tap or shower........The virus replicates in the human body and contaminates surfaces when an infected person sneezes/coughs and doesn't cover their nose/mouth and/or covers them but then touches the handrail or counter or another surface.

I've been on a ship that had an outbreak, but I've never gotten sick myself. I am very persistent in my hand washing, and keeping my hands away from my face.

Festivale 5/1983, Festivale 6/1984, Holiday 7/2001, Inspiration 2/2002
Paradise 3/2004, Pride 9/2004, Victory 5/2005, Conquest 4/2006
Conquest 9/2006, Freedom 3/2007, Glory 9/2007, Conquest 2/2008,
Valor 5/2008, Glory 8/2008, Glory 9/2008, Fantasy 2/2009, Conquest 9/2009,
Dream 12/2009, Conquest 2/2010, Ecstasy 4/2010, Conquest 9/2010,
Ecstasy 2/2011, Glory 2/2011, Conquest 10/2011, Triumph 11/2011, Magic 3/2012,
Conquest 9/2012, Breeze 1/13/13 & 1/19/13, Conquest 4/2013, Magic 10/2013, Sunshine 2/2014, Magic 8/2014

Old April 10th, 2012, 01:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgeNNicole View Post
Leaving in less than 2 weeks on the Crown..... We are not stressing out about it or anything but are aware that good restroom hygine and a quick wipedown of the cabin upon embarkation can go along way.

With that being said any suggestions of what to use in the cabin, wet ones, lysol, purell, bleach, flame-thrower???

Thanks......
If you have a coffeemaker in your cabin, what do you wash it with, wet ones, lysol, purell, bleach, or all of the above?

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:06 PM
5,000+ Club

As other have said, continue to wash your hands and keep them away from your face!

1/8/15 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/8/14 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze Part 2)
1/12/14 Eurodam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
10/10/13 Victory B2B (Victory is Mine)
1/13/13 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
11/24/12 Breeze (Feelin' the Breeze)
1/15/12 Westerdam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
12/4/11 Miracle (x-mas on the beach)
1/16/11 Noordam (Smooth Jazz Cruise)
9/18/10 Fantasy
9/20/09 Sensation
11/08 Westerdam (Dave Koz & Friends)
2008 Caribbean Princess
10/2/06 Celebration
10/9/05 Destiny
2002 Costa Cruise Line

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:58 AM
5,000+ Club

Along with very careful hand-washing, also avoid shaking hands, or otherwise having contact with other people. You don't know if they have been as careful.

Old April 11th, 2012, 12:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Oh, and also, just remembered, a woman at our dinner table said she never presses elevator buttons with the tips of her fingers, only with the knuckles not to get germs