Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > New Cruisers > First Time Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

First Time Cruisers You May Also Want to Read: Over 4,000 Published Cruise Reviews by First Time Cruisers

Best advice for first-time cruisers; learn how to pick a cabin, find the best cruise bargain, tips on what to pack.

Browse Cruise Critic's First Time Cruiser Resources (articles)

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Barcelona to Venice? Early 40's couple - What cruise company would you recommend?

Hi Cruise experts...
We are a Australian couple in late 30's early 40's looking at a cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary next May. Carnival, MSC, NCL etc... are the options that come up. Looking for around 12 days and doesn't really matter what port we leave from. Having travelled extensively but never cruised before we are open to all suggestions from room types, must see locations and where to go before and after the cruise for a total of 18 days away !!

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 10th, 2012, 05:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Have a look and see if Royal Caribbean have any cruises that you like. It can be hard to find ones that cover that much of the med, but some do do it.
At a quick glance they have a 12 night Barcelona return that does Barcelona, Spain; Villefranche (Nice), France; Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey; Santorini, Greece; Naples (Salerno), Italy; Barcelona, Spain
All excellent ports! And the serenade, albeit a bit older is a great ship for the med.
Good luck! From a fellow Aussie
30.11.09 RCCL Brilliance of the Seas -Eygpt & Med
27.05.11 CELEBRITY Equinox - Med
4.03.2012 RCCL Allure of the Sea's - Caribbean
02.06.2012 RCCL Voyager of the seas - Singapore

Upcoming Cruises:
08.10.13 CELEBRITY Silhouette Adriatic Cruise

Bucket list to do/ to book:
South America & the cape cruise
China & Asia
Maybe some Aussie cruises when the prices are more reasonable!

Old April 10th, 2012, 05:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Celebrity has Equinox doing this route twice 12 nightd in May 2013. Aqua Class is a really nice treat.

Rome is a great place for a pre/post stay as 1 day in port is never enough. Barcelona has lots to offer pre/post cruise.

Royal Caribbean have good cruises in the med.
NCL have good routes that start / end in different ports and are freestyle so an easy way to try cruising.

Look at the duration each ship stays in port when comparing. A couple of extra hours can be really valuable.
P&O Azura April 13 Zeebrugge and St Peter-Port (4 nights)
Cunard Queen Mary II Nov 12 Beer-n-chocs (4 nights)
Celebrity Silhouette Sept 12 Adriatic from Venice(13 nights)
Cunard Queen Elizabeth May 12 Spring Getaway (5 nights)
Cunard Queen Mary II Oct 11 to Cherbourg (2 nights)
Celebrity Solstice July 11 Barcelona to Venice (12 nights)
Celebrity Eclipse May 11 to Cork (4 nights)
P&O Azura Oct 2010 to Bruges and Le Havre (3 nights)
RCI Independence of the Seas Jun 10 Med (14 nights)
Celebrity Equinox Preview Jul 09 (1 night)
Norwegian Jewel Aug 08 Baltic Capitals (12 nights)
Norwegian Jewel Sept 07 Barcelona to Istanbul (12 nights)

Old April 10th, 2012, 09:53 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foncai View Post
Have a look and see if Royal Caribbean have any cruises that you like. It can be hard to find ones that cover that much of the med, but some do do it.
At a quick glance they have a 12 night Barcelona return that does Barcelona, Spain; Villefranche (Nice), France; Livorno (Florence/Pisa), Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Piraeus (Athens), Greece; Kusadasi (Ephesus), Turkey; Santorini, Greece; Naples (Salerno), Italy; Barcelona, Spain
All excellent ports! And the serenade, albeit a bit older is a great ship for the med.
Good luck! From a fellow Aussie
Some friends and I just talked about this cruise yesterday. We may book it for October. For anyone who has done this can you tell us what the weather is like in Oct in these areas? I don't want to have to drag winter clothes with me.
Also does anyone know if Serenade has had any updates?

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:36 AM
5,000+ Club

Not sure why Princess didn't show up with their Grand Med that does one way from Barcelona to Venice or the other way around. Last set of brochures we got still showed this cruise. IMHO I like Princess over some of the other lines mentioned here, seems just right for our demographic.

Congrats on the anniversary, I think you should do more research and insure that the ports you have on the cruise are the ones you want. Med is ALL about the ports and adventures/excursions/exploration of the history / culture in them.

I think Princess does all the big attractions ( Venice, Barcelona, Kusadasi/Ephesus, Istanbul, Piraeus/Athens, Naples/Amalfi/Pompeii/Sorrento, Civitavecchia / Rome, Livrono / Florence / Vencie, stops in France and Greece, Monte Carlo and another Mykonos that rotates around ).

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HolidayQueen1 View Post
Hi Cruise experts...
We are a Australian couple in late 30's early 40's looking at a cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary next May. Carnival, MSC, NCL etc... are the options that come up. Looking for around 12 days and doesn't really matter what port we leave from. Having travelled extensively but never cruised before we are open to all suggestions from room types, must see locations and where to go before and after the cruise for a total of 18 days away !!

Last edited by chipmaster; April 10th, 2012 at 11:39 AM.

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

holland is wonderful - you will be on the young end of the curve but we have found it wonderful

Eurodam oct 09
Celebrity oct 04

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Strictly from an itinerary perspective, Norwegian Spirit and Ruby Princess should probably have the busiest schedule. Both will go all the way to Istanbul, albeit no overnight there.

NCL map:

Princess map:

Last edited by Friend100; April 10th, 2012 at 03:23 PM.

Old April 10th, 2012, 03:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

When you go to the Mediterranean, it's all about the ports. Which company goes to the ports that you like? And which one has the best price. IMO, the ship and the cruiseline is secondary.

We are late 40's and last year, we did a 12 day Celebrity cruise R/T from Barcelona to Venice to Barcelona and it was fantastic. If you do a R/T cruise it may be cheaper because you can get your own R/T airfare for a good price.

Some advice, if you leave from Barcelona, try to stay their at least 2-3 nights pre-cruise. Staying in Barcelona may have been the highlight of our trip.
Radiance of the Seas, 11/11/06
Century, 08/26/10
Gem, 09/08/12
Jewel, 11/10/13

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Just to confuse matters, don't forget the 2 main Italian lines, MSC and Costa, or the 2 cheaper lines, using older ships, Louis (Cypriot) and Thomson (UK).
If one of my relatives was coming from Oz for a cruise, I'd plan to take them on one with a sail into or out of Venice, with a few days there before hand- perhaps at a beach resort up the Italian coast, with easy access into Venice.
I'd certainly be looking at the Princess and NCL cruises mentioned, and I'm happy on both these lines.
Jo.

Old April 10th, 2012, 07:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1HolidayQueen1 View Post
Hi Cruise experts...
Hi you don,t say what part of Oz you live in ?
we are booked Ruby Princess med cruise August 2012 from Barcelona, living in Perth Singapore Stopover then Singapore a/lines Barcelona come home Venice to London Stopover then home to Perth. Emmerits fly to Barcelona but connecting flights are weird. we have done the Med Venice Barcelona Celebrity. in my opinion the Med cruise is the best stopovers are the way to go enjoy your anniversary Aussie

Old April 10th, 2012, 09:35 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie51 View Post
Some friends and I just talked about this cruise yesterday. We may book it for October. For anyone who has done this can you tell us what the weather is like in Oct in these areas? I don't want to have to drag winter clothes with me.
It is still warm in the area in October, a great month to go as most children will be in school as well as fewer tourists in general in the cities. I usually always travel Europe in October. Having said that, a nice light packable windbreaker jacket is a must. Mornings may start out cool, but afternoons will be warm, so the layer approach to day travel is a must.

Sounds of the wind or sounds of the sea make me happy just to be. ~June Polis

Dude, don't you understand the first rule of holes? When you find yourself in a hole stop digging. Take it from a fellow Gopher.
~Planer's Edge

A passport, as I'm sure you know, is a document that one shows to government officials whenever one reaches a border between countries, so the officials can learn who you are, where you were born, and how you look when photographed unflatteringly.
~Lemony Snicket

Cruised:
M.V. Hobart Star 1974 (Blue Star Line)
T.S.S. Festivale 1993 (Carnival Cruise Line)
S.S. Norway 2003 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Queen Mary2 2006 (Cunard Line)
Carnival Imagination 2009 (Carnival Cruise Line)
M.V. Norwegian Sun 2010 (Norwegian Cruise Line)
Carnival Destiny 2011 (Carnival Cruise Line)
Norwegian EPIC 2013 (Norwegian Cruise Line)

Old April 11th, 2012, 08:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie51 View Post
We did a similiar 10 day Celebrity cruise out of Barcelona in October of 2008 and the weather was fine. (spring/summer like) We spent 2 days prior and 4 days after in Barcelona. It's a great place but in hindsight, a back to back would of cost just slightly more.

Sapphire Princess, Pacific Wine Coastal 9/2013 (7)
Grand Princess, Trans-Atlantic 11/2012 (14)+London (6)
NCL Pearl, Panama Canal 10/2011 (14)+Orlando (5)
NCL Pearl, Pacific Coastal 9/2011 (5)
NCL Star, Pacific Coastal 9/2010 (5)+Los Angeles (5)
Golden Princess, Pacific Coastal 10/2009 (7)+Los Angeles (5)
Celebrity Century, W. Med & Malta 10/2008 (10)+Barcelona (6)
NCL Wind, Hawaii & Fanning Island 10/2005 (10)
RCL Rhapsody of the Seas, Alaska 8/2000 (7)

Old April 12th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It can be windy in Oct, after the autumn solstice, and the nights are lengthening.....the Mistral whistles down through France, so it can be chilly off Barcelona. Take something warm to wear on deck on an evening, and definately some rainwear....then it will be sunshine all the way!!
Jo.

Old April 12th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default HAL is No. 1 in our Opinion

We first cruised HAL in our early 40's and, yes, we were some of the youngest on board. However, since our objectives were on board romance plus on shore sightseeing, it was a perfect fit for us. Now in our mid 50's HAL is our first choice. HAL tends to be a slower paced, more elegant experience than the other "younger crowd" mass market lines.

Our Princess experience in Alaska was less than stellar as we felt crowded and rushed all the time. We recently completed a 20 day Med cruise on the Noordam (HAL) and had a great time on board and in the ports she visited.

For what it's worth, our table mates for the entire 20 days were two couples from Australia who were of the opinion that the longer cruise was best given the really long travel time from Down Under.

Noordam - 2013 | Eurodam - 2012
| Noordam - 2011 | Nieuw Amsterdam - 2010 | Volendam - 2010 | Princess Sapphire - 2008 | Maasdam - 2004 | Veendam - 1996

Old April 12th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Barcelona to Venice

We sailed this itinerary twice, once on Celebrity, once on RCI. Both were great but we like RCI ships better, and the age demographic is closer to yours.
As for the itinerary here are some tips you won't get from the brochures:

Villefranche -- Jet lag recovery day.
Livorno -- Car rentals available right at the dock. Do it. Drive thru Lucca on way to Florence. Park at structure next to train station. Be sure to get directions on how to drive back to ship, it's a bit tricky.
Civitaveccia-Take train to Vatican or Rome.
Naples -- Rent car, 3 blocks in from main street. Don't be intimidated, be aggressive and you'll do fine. Stop at Pompeii on way to Salerno, have lunch, shop, and go back to ship.
Santorini -- Rent a jeep, drive to IA for dinner overlooking harbor, winery at other end overlooks harbor as well. Don't waste too much time in Fira
Dubrovnik -- Rent a car, drive to Citva, nice resort town on the Adriatic.

Old April 14th, 2012, 01:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the tips, picked up a brochure today ! So many options

Old April 14th, 2012, 01:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks for all of the options

I really appreciated the tips about what to do when I get to shore. If anyone else has some great ideas please feel free to add them to this link. I think I now have every cruise brochure that exists and will spend hours digesting them !!! We live half way around the world and we are stuck between seeing major ports for a day but seeing lots of them vs positioning ourselves for a week in major centres and doing day trips out. I think the unpack once option for a cruise certainly has appeal. Thanks again everyone !

Old April 26th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

We (late 40s) did the 12 day on Princess (rome-Venice) last Aug. We had a great time, great ports, great food, but the majority of cruisers were 65+, if that matters to you.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 12:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Celebrity

I am 40 and my Husband is 36, we were on Celebrity Equinox in November 2011. We really liked Celebrity in Europe. The food was very good, the staff was kind & the excursions were wonderful. We spend 3 days in Rome prior to cruising (to get over the jet lag). We did not sail in Aqua Class but I would love to someday. We are planning on using Celebrity the next time we go to Europe.