Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Conversations > Cruise Rituals

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Rituals Not voo-doo...but what do YOU do?

Old August 8th, 2012, 05:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Funny - my DH proposed to me on 8/11/1984! We were married 7 months later almost to the day!

CountdownClockCodes.com

Celebrity Millennium 06/13 (50th Birthday and first back to back two week vacation ever in Alaska)

Adventure of the Seas 04/10 (25th Anniversary and first one for the kids Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Constellation 03/05 (20th Wedding Anniversary Cruise Southern Caribbean)
Crown Jewel 09/93 (get away from the boss part 2 Western Caribbean)
Crown Princess 11/91 (get away from the boss cruise Eastern Caribbean)

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 9th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Ok Damm why did I have to find this thread just AFTER I booked my FOS trip next year and told DW.....however there is no way I could keep it secret that long, a few months tops and I would blow it or loose intrest. Good Job!

I just found and read all this entire thread, I had no intention on being on this long tonight but I can identify with alot in this thread. DW and I are high school sweethearts, we cruised for our honeymoon she has chronic health issues, 7-3 is her bday and she deserves far more then I can give her for the pain the the behind I can be and the health issues she deals with daily. I too booked my FOS trip this far out just so we can work it into the budget. I could only dream of being able to do something on this scale. Lord knows I am not known for being overly emotional but I cried 4 times during this thread with things that have struck home.

Even if she found out the entire plan tomorrow it is still something she would remember if for no other reason the effort alone.
Majesty of the Seas Nov-23-09 - Sailed
Sovereign of the Seas Oct-12-07 - Sailed
Sovereign of the Seas Nov-24-06 - Sailed
Discovery One Cruise May - 1989 - Sailed

Old August 9th, 2012, 07:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Congratulations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by olemissreb View Post
Funny - my DH proposed to me on 8/11/1984! We were married 7 months later almost to the day!
Wow, so you will be celebrating your 28th engagement anniversary this week too! Congratulations! (28 is a special number to us, so that makes this anniversary particularly special.) We were married almost 9 months after I proposed, but then our first child was born on our 8 month anniversary! (That raised a few eyebrows! He was a month premature, really he was!)

Previously sailed on:
Golden Princess to Hawaii (March-April 2013) - long review
Sapphire Princess to Mexican Riviera (April 2010)
Carnival Paradise to Catalina and Ensenada (April 2005)

Watch our version of "Come Back New"!

Old August 9th, 2012, 08:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Thanks for reading (& crying)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john160 View Post
Ok Damm why did I have to find this thread just AFTER I booked my FOS trip next year and told DW.....however there is no way I could keep it secret that long, a few months tops and I would blow it or loose interest. Good Job!

I just found and read all this entire thread, I had no intention on being on this long tonight but I can identify with alot in this thread. DW and I are high school sweethearts, we cruised for our honeymoon she has chronic health issues, 7-3 is her bday and she deserves far more then I can give her for the pain the the behind I can be and the health issues she deals with daily. I too booked my FOS trip this far out just so we can work it into the budget. I could only dream of being able to do something on this scale. Lord knows I am not known for being overly emotional but I cried 4 times during this thread with things that have struck home.

Even if she found out the entire plan tomorrow it is still something she would remember if for no other reason the effort alone.
It's great to see another husband find some interest in this! (So far it seems to me that most who have commented here are women.) May God bless you greatly for what you are doing for your wife! I suspect that these months before the cruise will provide some opportunities for you to find some way to work in a little surprise here and there (especially if you spend much time on CC, because I find it to be the source for many of my ideas)!

Keeping it a secret this long is definitely not easy! Especially when I am reading so many things here on CC. So many times I think of starting to tell her about something I read here, and then have to stop myself because I know that it will give too much away! I think it's great to have a year or more to plan (because it provides the opportunity for more ideas), but that the ideal length of a "surprise" process like this would probably be more like 3 months.

(Yesterday DW was watching as I was going through some photos on the computer, and I accidentally flipped to a photo of the completed puzzle--the same puzzle I am giving her piece by piece throughout the year! So it's possible that she now realizes what the puzzle is, but even if she does I suspect that she will just play along with the process.)

And I definitely know what it is like to take more time than I intended on a thread here on CC! (In fact, that kind of obsession is what planted the seed for this whole process, when I read someone else's thread reporting on a Golden Princess cruise to Hawaii.) Several times already DW has asked me "how much time did you take to do this?" for different aspects of her yearlong birthday celebration, and I have had to just reply "more time than I would care to admit!"

Anyway, john160, I'm glad I gave you something (hopefully good) to cry about! It's good for us husbands to cry sometimes -- to me it is a reminder of what is truly important in life!

Previously sailed on:

Old August 9th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

john160 & terrific surprise - I need to put you guys in touch with my DH. Maybe you can give him some pointers! I would love for him to surprise me with a really nice trip like this. I end up planning all our vacations 'cause if I didn't, we wouldn't go anywhere!

CountdownClockCodes.com

Celebrity Millennium 06/13 (50th Birthday and first back to back two week vacation ever in Alaska)

Adventure of the Seas 04/10 (25th Anniversary and first one for the kids Southern Caribbean)
Celebrity Constellation 03/05 (20th Wedding Anniversary Cruise Southern Caribbean)

Old August 9th, 2012, 06:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrific_surprise View Post
It's great to see another husband find some interest in this! (So far it seems to me that most who have commented here are women.) May God bless you greatly for what you are doing for your wife! I suspect that these months before the cruise will provide some opportunities for you to find some way to work in a little surprise here and there (especially if you spend much time on CC, because I find it to be the source for many of my ideas)!

Keeping it a secret this long is definitely not easy! Especially when I am reading so many things here on CC. So many times I think of starting to tell her about something I read here, and then have to stop myself because I know that it will give too much away! I think it's great to have a year or more to plan (because it provides the opportunity for more ideas), but that the ideal length of a "surprise" process like this would probably be more like 3 months.

(Yesterday DW was watching as I was going through some photos on the computer, and I accidentally flipped to a photo of the completed puzzle--the same puzzle I am giving her piece by piece throughout the year! So it's possible that she now realizes what the puzzle is, but even if she does I suspect that she will just play along with the process.)

And I definitely know what it is like to take more time than I intended on a thread here on CC! (In fact, that kind of obsession is what planted the seed for this whole process, when I read someone else's thread reporting on a Golden Princess cruise to Hawaii.) Several times already DW has asked me "how much time did you take to do this?" for different aspects of her yearlong birthday celebration, and I have had to just reply "more time than I would care to admit!"

Anyway, john160, I'm glad I gave you something (hopefully good) to cry about! It's good for us husbands to cry sometimes -- to me it is a reminder of what is truly important in life!

It definitely gives me PERSPECTIVE. She is very excited about the itinerary because she has not be to back Puerto Rico since she was 10. The shorty at the end of this year is just to maintin my sanity (which some would say was lost long ago)

Keep up the good work, I look forward to this adventure unfolding.

Old August 9th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
john160 & terrific surprise - I need to put you guys in touch with my DH. Maybe you can give him some pointers! I would love for him to surprise me with a really nice trip like this. I end up planning all our vacations 'cause if I didn't, we wouldn't go anywhere!
LOL as men we can be a bit dense and we don't do subtle hints well. Tell him to get off his ass and book a cruise for you guys!! Then tell him again since we generally don't hear it the first time

If I had more $$$ we would cruise at least quaterly if it were up to me.

Old August 10th, 2012, 08:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by john160 View Post
LOL as men we can be a bit dense and we don't do subtle hints well. Tell him to get off his ass and book a cruise for you guys!! Then tell him again since we generally don't hear it the first time

If I had more $$$ we would cruise at least quaterly if it were up to me.
Normally I would, but we are splurging on next summer's Alaskan adventure. 2 weeks - 1 inland doing a DIY tour and 1 week on the Millie in a Royal Suite with our kids in the Concierge Class room next door. Plus with at least one flightseeing tour planned and some of the other excursions that I have in mind, money will be tight for a while!

Maybe next fall I'll start bugging him!

CountdownClockCodes.com

Old August 10th, 2012, 12:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Filling up the Love Mix

We are away from home for a few days, and DW decided to use an insulated bag we had bought from Costco a while back to carry a few of her things. It just so happened that she had picked out a bag with a Hawaiian theme (without me even suggesting it).

Early yesterday morning, while it was still dark, I found room in the Hawaiian bag for the surprise I had planned to give DW for our 28th "engagement anniversary." The surprise was a container of "Love Mix."

As mentioned in post #79 on this thread, I had previously prepared a special kind of trail mix for DW which I gave her on Valentine's Day. I labeled it "Love Mix" (and included on the label a photo of the two of us when we were engaged). Here's what the Love Mix looks like:

Over the past few months, DW has enjoyed the Love Mix often. I had made extra Love Mix back in February, so from time to time (when she wasn't around) I would add more Love Mix to her container. When she opened the Love Mix back up later she would often look at me with a little smirk and say "so, your Love Mix filled back up!" and I would respond "it certainly did!" (Yes, your suspicions of some double entendre there may be on target.)

But some time in June (I think) my back supply of Love Mix ran out. So a week or two ago, there was only a handful of Love Mix left in her container. When she wasn't around, I removed the Love Mix container from where she had it. Then last Saturday (as I previously posted here) I conspired with #10 (our 9 year old redheaded daughter) to get DW away from home on a shopping trip so that I could spend some time in the kitchen preparing a new batch of Love Mix.

I was on an important phone call yesterday morning when DW discovered the Love Mix, but I did get to enjoy her smile as she motioned to me that she had found it. When I finally hung up, she said "when did you give that to me?"

"On Valentine's Day," I replied, "don't you remember?"

"But it was empty!" she exclaimed.

Turning to #10, I said "do you know anything about this?" and she bobbed her head up and down with a huge grin (I call #10 "the girl who always smiles"). Then I explained to DW how the Saturday shopping trip was actually designed to get her out of the house so that I could fix more Love Mix.

A while later, possibly an hour or more, DW discovered that I had hidden a little golden envelope inside the Love Mix. (I think I was on the phone again when this happened.) On the front of the envelope I had written "Will you marry me?" Inside was this photo:

On the back I had written "Feeling a bit sea sick? Have some ginger!" (Ginger is one of the ingredients of the Love Mix. Eventually she will discover that other Love Mix ingredients are also clues to the cruise.)

The last day of our Sapphire Princess cruise, DW spent most of the day in bed due to the rough seas, so unfortunately seasickness is no joke with her.

Although it was our 28th engagement anniversary, the rest of the day wasn't particularly romantic. We had deliberately chosen to bring our four youngest with us for a little mini vacation before the start of the school year (while for us it is a working vacation). But we finally found some time late last night to get away from the kids, eventually finding some food at a little Hawaiian themed place.

This morning I noticed that DW had posted on Facebook a message about our engagement 28 years ago, saying that she had "the best proposal memory" and that I am most romantic man she knows.

One of her friends (with whom I have shared this thread) responded "Awwwww.....and I think he has more in store!" Of course I "liked" that comment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ocean-from-ship.jpg (19.0 KB, 358 views)

Previously sailed on:

Old August 10th, 2012, 09:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Normally I would, but we are splurging on next summer's Alaskan adventure. 2 weeks - 1 inland doing a DIY tour and 1 week on the Millie in a Royal Suite with our kids in the Concierge Class room next door. Plus with at least one flightseeing tour planned and some of the other excursions that I have in mind, money will be tight for a while!

Maybe next fall I'll start bugging him!
That sounds like quite a trip, can I be a stowaway

Old August 11th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile "Another Day in Paradise!"

As we were leaving the hotel we were staying at yesterday morning, I noticed that their little soaps and lotions were labeled "Paradise Collection" with a logo of a little palm tree. So that gave me an idea....

On the back of this picture:

I wrote "Another Day in Paradise!" (with the quote marks around it).

This phrase "another day in Paradise" was the slogan that we often heard from one of the couples who shared the dinner table with us on our Sapphire Princess cruise. (I have seen them here on CC under the username TM.) This reflects their philosophy of cruising, focusing on enjoying the vacation instead of dwelling on whatever problems may arise along the way.

When we were about to check out of the hotel, I put the picture in a little golden envelope and slipped the envelope under the extra soap and lotion in the bathroom. Meanwhile, I had to be on an important conference call. But while I was on the call, as DW coordinated getting things gathered up, I sent her this text (from across the room) "Can you grab the soap from the bathroom?"

It was a few minutes before she noticed the text, but when she did so, she made hand motions to me that looked like opening an envelope. By now she knows just what to expect!

As often happens, we were too busy with other matters for me to get much of a reaction from her about what was in the envelope. But I'm sure that she understood the message.

I apologized to DW for not making our "engagement anniversary" particularly romantic this time, but she pointed to our four youngest children (who are with us on this trip), saying "they are the fruit of our love!"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg golden-princess-promenade3.jpg (13.2 KB, 331 views)

Previously sailed on:

Old August 11th, 2012, 11:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Dense husbands

Quote:
I wish I fell like I had some good ideas on how to get your DH to surprise you like this, but as john160 has said, we husbands can often be quite dense! In my case what gave me enough of a jolt to begin planning this surprise was my DW's sadness when my 50th surprise party didn't turn out the way she hoped it would. Through her tears she happened to say "I wish I could have surprised you with a cruise, because that is what I would have wanted!"

Of course if you get any little magazines, emails or advertisements from cruise lines it wouldn't hurt to make sure he sees them, maybe with little post-it notes labeled something like "I dream of being here with you." I know that Princess had put out some stories a while back about people who surprised a loved one with a cruise.

I hope you are having a romantic 28th engagement anniversary, olemissreb!

Previously sailed on:

Old August 11th, 2012, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I hope you are having a romantic 28th engagement anniversary, olemissreb!
The day started out with my waking up with a piercing sinus headache. Then a dear friend texted me and invited me to her jewelry party and DH was happy to let me go and didn't even balk when I spent money. Tonight we are going to try a new cajun restaurant here in town and maybe go see the movie "Hope Springs". Of course we may just end up seeing the movie and then doing something else - who knows! The kids are with their grandparents so we have the house to ourselves (well except for the dog)!

I know you said your engagement anniversary wasn't as romantic as you'd hoped, but hopefully you can make up for it this weekend.

CountdownClockCodes.com

Old August 12th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
The day started out with my waking up with a piercing sinus headache. Then a dear friend texted me and invited me to her jewelry party and DH was happy to let me go and didn't even balk when I spent money. Tonight we are going to try a new cajun restaurant here in town and maybe go see the movie "Hope Springs". Of course we may just end up seeing the movie and then doing something else - who knows! The kids are with their grandparents so we have the house to ourselves (well except for the dog)!

I know you said your engagement anniversary wasn't as romantic as you'd hoped, but hopefully you can make up for it this weekend.
We did manage to squeeze in a little bit of romance, but I look forward to making up for what we lacked once the cruise begins! (And hopefully earlier too of course -- I have some romantic plans for a couple of weeks from now, which will probably relate to the cruise.)

I trust that your headache subsided and your romance ignited yesterday -- and that the dog didn't interfere!

Previously sailed on:

Old August 12th, 2012, 03:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just read this whole thread and love it! She's a lucky woman!

I'm in the same boat with DH.....he's amazing but if I want something done, I have to plan it. I told him when he brought up the idea of adding Paris onto our upcoming honeymoon/1 year anniversary trip that I would plan the rest but he has to plan the three days in Paris. He agreed. Last night he admitted that if I don't plan it there won't be any plans made and we won't see as much as we want to see. *sigh* He said he will take care of the plans for our anniversary but I will have something planned just in case.

Next Up:

Review of the Epic

Old August 13th, 2012, 09:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Not a golden envelope, but a pretty good text clue!

At DW's surprise 49th birthday party in March, one of our friends had given her a gift certificate for a hotel by the ocean. DW gave me the certificate for safekeeping, but with the busy summer we have had it is possible that by now she has forgotten about it.

When I saw a break in our schedule next week, I called and booked the hotel for three nights. Then I made some child care arrangements.

Finally, I sent DW this text message: "A week from tomarrow please join me for a mini escape and get a taste of what we will experience when we escape completely!" (I also told her who would be watching the kids.)

(I intentionally misspelled "tomorrow" above, just to yank DW's chain a little bit, because back when she was about 14 she used to tell me that tomorrow was spelled "tom" "arrow".)

This text reply from DW soon showed up on my phone: "Yea...yes...yes...."

There was no golden envelope with this clue (I was too excited after finally making all the arrangements to wait until I could give her an envelope -- I had been waiting all summer for an opportunity to schedule this and was beginning to wonder if it would ever happen).

There are certain aspects of next week's getaway which will relate directly to planned activities for the cruise (or may possibly result in a change in some of my plans). I'll explain more on that after it happens (probably next week sometime).

Now that DW has something to look forward to just a week away, hopefully it will help her get through the next few days when we will be extremely busy.

Will she recognize "escape completely" as the Princess motto? I don't know, but if she does, I guess that's ok now. It's about time that I stopped being so mysterious about some things.

Previously sailed on:

Old August 13th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyyhoneybee View Post
Just read this whole thread and love it! She's a lucky woman!

I'm in the same boat with DH.....he's amazing but if I want something done, I have to plan it. I told him when he brought up the idea of adding Paris onto our upcoming honeymoon/1 year anniversary trip that I would plan the rest but he has to plan the three days in Paris. He agreed. Last night he admitted that if I don't plan it there won't be any plans made and we won't see as much as we want to see. *sigh* He said he will take care of the plans for our anniversary but I will have something planned just in case.
Planning "just in case" seems like a good idea, nyyhoneybee. On our Sapphire Princess cruise I had plans for all three port days (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas). I don't think any of my plans worked out.

Well, we did follow through with my not-so-wise plans to ride on a rickety bus in Puerto Vallarta. The bus even featured bullet holes and you could see the pavement through holes in the floor. (But we saved the cost of a taxi ride, ha.) After we got off the bus, we got snagged by a timeshare salesman who stole away most of our port time (we even had to wonder for a while if we would miss the ship).

Nevertheless, I tried to have the attitude all along that my plans were tentative, and that I would enjoy being with DW no matter what we ended up doing. Normally I would have been frustrated not to be able to follow through with my plans, but I successfully convinced myself that I would not let that happen.

But now I have so many plans for the Golden Princess cruise (and clues that relate to those plans) that it may be more of a challenge to just go with the flow. I will need to keep reminding myself that this is supposed to be for DW, not for me, so if I have to sacrifice my plans so that DW can do something she wants, I will just have to convince myself to enjoy it anyway! After all, it's "another day in Paradise!"

Previously sailed on:

Old August 16th, 2012, 10:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Planning "just in case" seems like a good idea, nyyhoneybee. On our Sapphire Princess cruise I had plans for all three port days (Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo San Lucas). I don't think any of my plans worked out.

Well, we did follow through with my not-so-wise plans to ride on a rickety bus in Puerto Vallarta. The bus even featured bullet holes and you could see the pavement through holes in the floor. (But we saved the cost of a taxi ride, ha.) After we got off the bus, we got snagged by a timeshare salesman who stole away most of our port time (we even had to wonder for a while if we would miss the ship).

Nevertheless, I tried to have the attitude all along that my plans were tentative, and that I would enjoy being with DW no matter what we ended up doing. Normally I would have been frustrated not to be able to follow through with my plans, but I successfully convinced myself that I would not let that happen.

But now I have so many plans for the Golden Princess cruise (and clues that relate to those plans) that it may be more of a challenge to just go with the flow. I will need to keep reminding myself that this is supposed to be for DW, not for me, so if I have to sacrifice my plans so that DW can do something she wants, I will just have to convince myself to enjoy it anyway! After all, it's "another day in Paradise!"
Yikes!

I just would like to be surprised...just once.....

Next Up:

Review of the Epic

Old August 17th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Red face The not-so-big reveal!

I always knew that at some point DW might figure out that I was taking her to Hawaii, but I had hoped that it wouldn't happen quite this soon. After all, I still have over 6 months' worth of clues to give her!

After an incredibly busy past few days, we finally had some time to catch our breath. I had noticed that a place where we have enjoyed bringing our kids, John's Incredible Pizza, was having a promotion called "IncrediBear's Birthday Luau," so I suggested to DW that we might want to take some of the kids there. Of course, I was thinking of the upcoming cruise to Hawaii, but I didn't think that this would be quite so obvious to DW. It certainly was a less than ideal venue for the big revelation.

If we're going to a "luau," I reasoned, I need to give her a clue that looks Hawaiian. So I found this photo:

Turning over the photo, I wrote this on the back:
"Y? In the middle!
K? On the sides!
A? In between!
U? On top!
I love you, where ever you are!"

I put the photo into a golden envelope along with a puzzle piece. On the front of the envelope, I decided to write "Aloha!" inside a little golden lei I sketched. "She'll just think that the 'Aloha' relates to John's Incredible Pizza's 'luau,' not to the cruise," I foolishly told myself.

The atmosphere at John's Incredible Pizza was disappointing. No Hawaiian music, just the same old pop music blaring over the speakers. No special decorations that I noticed. They were serving pina colada Icees and Hawaiian pizza -- but we weren't impressed with the Icees and they always serve Hawaiian pizza. The only thing that looked very Hawaiian to me was the restaurant's mascot, IncrediBear, who was wearing a large Hawaiian shirt, and who stood in front of a cardboard cutout picture of a palm tree for photo opportunities.

When I finally sat down to eat, I picked up a piece of Hawaiian pizza and offered DW a bite, saying "let's share something Hawaiian!"

Later, the atmosphere improved slightly when IncrediBear led some kids in dancing to this song:

"Oh we're going to a Hukilau
A huki huki huki huki Hukilau..."

When DW was very young (probably 10-12 years old), she used to dance to the Hukilau song with a couple of her friends, putting on a show for the people at the apartments where they lived. After performing the song, the three girls would dive into the pool together. (I had actually forgotten this Hawaiian connection to DW's childhood until now, but she has often sung the Hukilau song over the years.)

We needed to rush off to get our son (#6) to a church meeting, but before we left I found an opportunity to discretely approach the IncrediBear mascot. "Is there a pocket in that Hawaiian shirt?" I asked.

The bear shook his head, indicating "yes."

Taking out the golden envelope, I said "can I slip this into your pocket? It's something special for my wife." He nodded his assent.

After the envelope clue was safely placed into the large pocket, I sent DW this text: "Congratulations! You have won the grand luau prize! To claim your prize, check Incredibear's Hawaiian shirt pocket!"

Then I went to find DW and the boys, telling them that it was time to leave. DW had previously said that she wanted to get a photo with IncrediBear, so we hurried to the photo area on our way out. I could tell that DW had not noticed her text message, so I came up with some excuse to look at her phone. Then I said "it looks like you have a message" and handed the phone to her.

After reading the message she said to IncrediBear "do you have something for me?" IncrediBear responded by leaning toward her and holding out his shirt pocket. She took the envelope out of the mascot's pocket and quickly opened it up. Then her expression quickly changed to that puzzled look I have enjoyed seeing so often when I give her clues.

"I don't understand this clue at all," DW confessed.

(I mentally congratulated myself, confident that I had succesfully pulled off this clue without giving too much away. But my smug self-satisfaction was short lived.)

Before heading out the door, we took a quick photo with IncrediBear.

Heading to our van, DW turned to me with a huge grin on her face and said "so, when do I get my grand prize?"

"You already got it," I responded, "it's the golden envelope."

Not content to settle for that, DW got right to the point of what she was thinking: "are you taking me on a cruise to Hawaii?"

"Why would you think that?" I responded, making a feeble attempt to play dumb.

"You have been giving me all kinds of Hawaiian clues," DW insisted.

Obviously I had congratulated myself too soon for my attempt at subtlety.

"I have? Like what?" I responded, feeling a bit dazed by the sudden realization that she has figured out (almost) all of the surprise.

DW began listing the clues she had received which contributed to her conclusion: "Sharing the Hawaiian pizza with me, the 'Paradise' clue, and all of those palm trees in the photos."

I weakly responded "umm... there are palm trees in a lot of places beside Hawaii. Like our 'Hawaiian Gardens'" (the nickname for our housing ministry).

I opened up the clear banker's bag where she has been keeping the golden envelopes and began looking though them, honestly asking myself if I had really been so obvious all along. I pulled out this photo of a previous clue and showed it to DW:

"Look, see," I said, pointing to the Mexican flag, "there are palm trees, and there's a Mexican flag. That's not Hawaii."

"What about all of this Hawaiian water you have been buying for me?"

"I told you when I first bought that water that I saw where it said Artesian water," I insisted. "You're the one who noticed that it was Hawaiian water."

Not one to give up so easily, DW demanded to know "so why did you insist that we went to this 'luau'?"

"I just thought it would be a nice place to eat. You don't seriously think I convinced John's Pizza to do a luau today?"

DW still refused to give up. "So why did you put 'Aloha' on the envelope?"

"Hello," I responded sarcastically, "it was a luau!"

"It's not about a luau, it's about a cruise to Hawaii," DW declared. "I know, because I saw the tickets."

With genuine incredulity, I replied "that's amazing, because I haven't even seen the tickets yet. I don't even know if there are tickets. You're just playing games with my mind."

"Yup," she confessed, playfully continuing "we're going to Hawaii, then we're going to Europe, then we're going to Australia! We're going to be gone for a long, long, time."

"Uncle!" I exclaimed. "No more golden envelopes for me!" (Don't worry, I said it with a smile.)

"Here, have some of this water from the forbidden abyss," I joked, handing her a bottle of Hawaiian water.

"You said we were going to the 'place of my dreams,'" DW continued, undaunted.

"Well, you enjoyed our cruise to Catalina, didn't you?" (I had seriously thought that she might think of Catalina as being the 'place of her dreams' when I had given her that clue on Mt. Baldy.)

She wasn't going to give up that easily. "Catalina is not the place of my dreams. Hawaii is! You're going to give me clues for a whole year and then you're just going to take me to Catalina? I wanted us to go to Hawaii on our honeymoon!"

"I actually don't remember that," I honestly responded.

"Don't get me wrong, I loved our honeymoon, but you just have to know I always wanted to go to Hawaii with you." (Then she began reminding me of various times over the years that I have taken her to Hawaiian-themed locations, always apologizing "sorry that's it's not a real trip to Hawaii.")

"Maybe it's not a cruise to Hawaii," DW conceded, "Maybe we're flying to Hawaii.

"And if not," DW continued, "you'd better start looking for some cheap flights."

"What's so great about Hawaii anyway?" I said, pretending to be frustrated.

"I'm sure I'll be happy wherever we go," DW confessed, "but that's my guess. And if you didn't want me to guess, you shouldn't have kept giving me clues."

"Here, look at this clue," I said, holding out one of the previous clues I had given her, "it says right here that we're going to Baja."

"Well, Baja is probably our first stop," DW shot right back, "on our way to Hawaii."

When we needed to stop at the grocery store on our way home, our #6 was frustrated because we were making him late for church.

"You don't always get what you want," I said to #6 (looking at DW while I said it).

"Then you need to be careful what your clues are," DW responded, "and stop giving me clues that look like Hawaii."

Finally our bantering ended with a time of silence, as we continued on our way home.

Eventually DW noticed that I was looking at her, smiling.

"What?" DW asked. "What?"

"Oh, I'm just imagining you in a grass skirt," I kidded. "Maybe Hawaii is where my dreams will come true!"

"Maybe so!" DW responded with a smile.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg oahu-mokulua-trees.jpg (21.9 KB, 250 views)
File Type: jpg ensenada-heads_20120522.jpg (22.1 KB, 246 views)
File Type: jpg 20120816johns_pizza_sm.jpg (18.1 KB, 247 views)

Previously sailed on:

Last edited by terrific_surprise; August 17th, 2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: formatting fix

Old August 19th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cool Golden pearls

No new golden envelopes today, but I thought I would write an update on how things have been going since DW announced her conclusion that I'm taking her on a cruise to Hawaii.

As we're headed down to a church where a friend of ours will be speaking this morning, DW finally decided to wear the golden pearl necklace I gave her at her surprise 49th birthday party. "I'm sure that the pearls are a clue," she said to me.

She's right of course, but usually at times like this I just smile. Over the past few days there have been numerous times that one of us has turned to the other and said "that's a clue." For example, our #9 was wearing a "Hawaii" shirt the other day, so I pointed to his shirt and said "that's a clue." Actually, however, he had the Hawaii shirt long before I began to plan this surprise (and it was probably worn by his older brothers before that).

Many times when we say "that's a clue" to each other, it's obvious that we are joking. Yesterday I found a Catalina shirt DW bought on our first cruise, and brought it to her, saying "that's a clue." Then later I turned to our #10 and said sarcastically "she thinks I'm taking her to Hawaii."

Meanwhile, I have been looking over my list of possible future clues, wondering what I may need to change now that she "knows." It seems like I can keep most of the clues, but I may need to work on being a little more subtle for some of them.

I guess I should be glad that it took her this long to figure out that I am taking her to Hawaii. After all, when she was opening up her presents at her surprise 49th birthday party, someone shouted "you're taking her to Hawaii, aren't you!" (I just tried to pretend that I didn't hear that.)

Yesterday I began focusing more on my plans for improving our marriage. I had picked up Gavin and Patti MacLeod's book Back on Course a while back, which tells their story of marriage, divorce, and remarriage. I had wanted to start reading it before now, but I forced myself not to start reading it until I had finished a long overdue review of an 800 page novel. Having finally finished the review last week, I picked up Back on Course yesterday, and by the end of the day I had read the whole book.

Of course, DW and I have never been divorced and are not alcoholics, I found that we both have much in common with certain elements of their story. I'm not sure when I will share the book with DW, but I think she will like it.

Previously sailed on: