Liquor question

BNguy

Before you go and "tell me off", I think this is a "new" question. I know you can't bring stuff on board, I know if you purchase stuff from the duty free shop on board it's held until the last night. Ok, my question, Can you buy a bottle of liquor on board for consumption on board? Would that be through room service? How much does the stuff cost? I'm not talking about super premium stuff but let's say for instance Seagram's VO. What size would you get if you ordered through room service and about how much would it cost.

Thanks for any insights.

I am not sure about room service, however, you can order through ship services ahead of time and they will have it in your cabin on arrival. I don't know the exact cost but do beleive it is similar if not cheaper then buying it at your local liquor store.

This past January, on the Westerdam, you could order a bottle of liquor from room service, to be delivered to your room. They also had "drink packages" which also included a mixer (ex: bottle of Rye/Whisky and 4 cans of Coke).

I'm not sure about the prices, but I think they started around $25.

We also ordered the D/R menu from Room Service on one occasion and were thoroughly pleased with the food and presentation. The Room Service on the Volendam was excellent – fastest Room Service we’ve ever received, and the kids used it often. We also ordered a bottle of Bacardi (one liter) and three cokes for $27.50 and a bottle of Absolut (which I mixed with cranberry juice from the Neptune Lounge) for about $23.50 – not bad prices at all. I had read on these boards that the cost of pre-ordering liquor had almost doubled, so I pleasantly surprised to see the same prices we paid last year on the Maasdam. Also, the soda cards for a 10-day cruise were still $37.50 – so I’m not sure why there were reports coming in that the price for a 10-day cruise had increased to over $50. Hope this helps:)

You can pre-order through Ship Services - they have only a limited number of items for sell that way.

But once you get on the ship you can order through room service or go to any bartender.

The price for Seagram's VO is $25.

Any other prices you need to know? I have a list.

You can pre-order through Ship Services - they have only a limited number of items for sell that way.

But once you get on the ship you can order through room service or go to any bartender.

The price for Seagram's VO is $25.

Any other prices you need to know? I have a list.

Would love, love to see the list! :)

jc

Here are the prices I got from HAL about three week ago. Onboard prices were about $5 less.

ITEM DESCRIPTION PRICE

GINS

687 GIN: BEEFEATER $29.00

688 GIN: TANQUERAY $37.00

686 GIN: BOMBAY SAPPHIRE $38.00

LIQUEURS

316 LIQUEURS: AMARETTO $52.00

317 LIQUEURS: BAILEYS IRISH CREAM $45.00

320 LIQUEURS: COINTREAU $59.00

321 LIQUEURS: DRAMBUIE $58.00

318 LIQUEURS: FRANGELLICO $42.00

323 LIQUEURS: GRAND MARNIER $80.00

324 LIQUEURS: KAHLUA $36.00

330 LIQUEURS: SAMBUCA - OPAL NERA $42.00

325 LIQUEURS: SOUTHERN COMFORT $47.00

326 LIQUEURS: TIA MARIA $52.00

RUM

693 RUM: BACARDI GOLD $37.00

694 RUM: BACARDI WHITE $29.00

695 RUM: BACARDI LIMON $29.00

692 RUM: MYERS $29.00

SCOTCH/WHISKEY/BRANDY

707 SCOTCH: BALLENTINES $37.00

714 SCOTCH: CHIVAS REGAL - 12 Y.O. $69.00

706 SCOTCH: DEWAR'S White Label $35.00

334 SCOTCH: HENNESSY VS $82.00

708 SCOTCH: J & B RARE $37.00

716 SCOTCH: J. WALKER BLACK LABEL $86.00

710 SCOTCH: J. WALKER RED LABEL $37.00

728 BOURBON: JACK DANIELS BLACK $54.00

722 BOURBON: JIM BEAM $29.00

732 WHISKEY: CANADIAN CLUB $35.00

736 WHISKEY: CROWN ROYAL $40.00

738 WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS 7 $29.00

734 WHISKEY: SEAGRAMS V.O. $29.00

337 BRANDY: REMY MARTIN XO $263.00

336 BRANDY: REMY MARTIN VSOP $110.00

SHERRY

656 SHERRY: HARVEY'S MEDIUM $38.00

657 SHERRY: TIO PEPE $36.00

TEQUILA:

697 TEQUILA: JOSE QUERVO GOLD $37.00

696 TEQUILA: JOSE QUERVO 1800 $55.00

VODKA:

698A VODKA: ABSOLUT $29.00

698 VODKA: ABSOLUT - CITRON $29.00

691 VODKA: STOLICHNAYA $29.00

691S VODKA: SKYY $29.00

691F VODKA: FINLANDIA $29.00

690 VODKA: SMIRNOFF $29.00

691C VODKA: CHOPAN $69.00

699 VODKA: GREY GOOSE $61.00

691T VODKA: TANGUERAY STERLING $32.00

691B VODKA: BELVEDERE $76.00

All items have a 15% service charge included.

J.Walker Black is my preferred libation. Now HAL wants $86 for a 750ml bottle ?? For twenty years I've purchased a bottle in the ships store and taken it back to the cabin, for a 20% surcharge. RCI wants $9.50 extra. Though affordable, it runs against my nature to be taken for an additional $61 by HAL for the privilage of having a drink in my cabin.

Last month, on a cruise, the gentleman in front of me had a bottle of scotch in his bag. When asked what was in the bottle he replied "mouth wash". They let him through. The motto being -- only buy mouth wash in the one liter size. In my 60's I'm now feeling like a school boy trying to sneak a bottle into the prom.

I hope that HAL will back off this policy sooner or later.

HAL is charging an arm and a leg for liquor.

Depends on your point of reference. More than a liquor store (well, maybe not a Pennsylvania liquor store :rolleyes: ), but less than a hotel. And it is, after all, a floating hotel.

Yes, I know that hotel's don't stop you from bringing your own bottle with you. But the question was about pricing, wasn't it?

-dave

Mayesd - Thank you for the list; it looks like the one from the HA website; is that where you got it? I have asked my TA to find out the cost of Malibu Rum. We bought a bottle on the ship two years ago, but I cannot remember what it cost and it isn't on the list (or on their website).

Anybody know the price of Malibu? I'm guess it's about $25, but if anyone knows for sure it will be one less reason to bug my TA.

Thx,

Scrumpy

Mayesd - Thank you for the list; it looks like the one from the HA website; is that where you got it? I have asked my TA to find out the cost of Malibu Rum. We bought a bottle on the ship two years ago, but I cannot remember what it cost and it isn't on the list (or on their website).

Anybody know the price of Malibu? I'm guess it's about $25, but if anyone knows for sure it will be one less reason to bug my TA.

Thx,

Scrumpy

This was a list ship services e-mailed me. If it's not on there I'm not sure if they have it.

Now HAL wants $86 for a 750ml bottle ?? .

As noted the price is per Liter, so 33% more than a standard fifth.

Prior to our cruise last November, I e-mailed HAL about wine and liquor and received a rapid response with all their availability. They did not have my preferred brands but I sucked it up for 10 days. (no pun!)

For what it's worth, the last time I was in Las Vegas, the Bellagio room service menu had a note to the effect that liquor purchased off the property could not be brought into ones room. Tough to enforce, but there it was.

Cheers

MarkB

I've never had a problem w/ bringing 1-2 bottles on board at embarkation in my luggage. With the ice buckets and cocktail napkins in the room they expect it.:confused:

Buying in duty free ports varies. NCL held it when it was scanned thru xray. Calebrity and Princess asked if we wanted them to hold it. On large 6 pack purchases I have them delivered to the ship to hold it sometimes bring an extra bottle w/me as well as a resupply of mixers.:rolleyes:

I guess it's part of the game. Filling a water bottle w/ vodka or gin works as well. I still seem to spend several $100 at the bars and dining room. The last trip on Princess I took some wine from home and paid corkage and still bought most in dining room. My TA sent a bottle thru the ship and there was no corkage fee on that as well as the last 2 nights when the waiter figured he would get a better tip if he didn't charge. He got a good one.:)

I've never had a problem w/ bringing 1-2 bottles on board at embarkation in my luggage. With the ice buckets and cocktail napkins in the room they expect it.:confused:

Buying in duty free ports varies. NCL held it when it was scanned thru xray. Calebrity and Princess asked if we wanted them to hold it. On large 6 pack purchases I have them delivered to the ship to hold it sometimes bring an extra bottle w/me as well as a resupply of mixers.:rolleyes:

I guess it's part of the game. Filling a water bottle w/ vodka or gin works as well. I still seem to spend several $100 at the bars and dining room. The last trip on Princess I took some wine from home and paid corkage and still bought most in dining room. My TA sent a bottle thru the ship and there was no corkage fee on that as well as the last 2 nights when the waiter figured he would get a better tip if he didn't charge. He got a good one.:)

There's never a corkage charge on wines purchased thru the ship, whether ordered on board or pre-ordered.

But "Filling a water bottle w/ vodka or gin" really isn't a "game". It's cheating, smuggling and violating your contract with the cruise line.

smuggle: To bring in or take out illicitly or by stealth.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition

this is simply TOO good to resist.. simply SMUGGLE a couple bottles aboard.. plenty of us do it.. not only will you save those exorbitant room service prices but you'll drive some of the folks here on the boards who see themselves as the self appointed arbiters of proper shipboard behavior, nuts... that alone makes it worthwhile..

this is simply TOO good to resist.. simply SMUGGLE a couple bottles aboard.. plenty of us do it.. not only will you save those exorbitant room service prices but you'll drive some of the folks here on the boards who see themselves as the self appointed arbiters of proper shipboard behavior, nuts... that alone makes it worthwhile..

I was wondering how long it would be before you showed up! Do you have an alert set on the word "smuggle"?

I'm not an "arbiter" of anything, just someone who reads (and abides by) the cruise line's rules. Too bad others feel that contracts are made to be breached.

I'm not an "arbiter" of anything, just someone who reads (and abides by) the cruise line's rules. Too bad others feel that contracts are made to be breached.

Contract ?? It's a rule not a contract. In the 21 pages of contract I fail to find bringing liquor on board listed. The only mention of liquor is in stating that anyone under 21 will not be served.

RULES --- Ever read the rules next to the pools. Are they enforced - NO. No diving. No one under 13 without adult supervision. (I have never seen these enforced - ever ) Enforcement of rules is purely arbitrary. I've been on cruises where youthful exuberance has yielded the pools unusable and I feel that this detracts from what I paid for. Where is the line responcilbe for this breach ??

Contract ?? It's a rule not a contract. In the 21 pages of contract I fail to find bringing liquor on board listed. The only mention of liquor is in stating that anyone under 21 will not be served.

Um, the contract states that you agree to abide by the rules.

And enforcement shouldn't govern our actions, should it? What percentage of speeders do you suppose are actually ticketed?

Some cruise lines (RCCI comes to mind) do post people in SECURITY jackets in places about the ship in order to deter rule breaking. I dread the day that becomes necessary of HAL, because that's the day I'll choose to sail elsewhere. Civilized behavior is based on our willingness to abide by the rules, enforcement is only needed for the uncivilized.

Archived