Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old May 26th, 2012, 08:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beezy961 View Post
Well it looks like one of the aft cabins opened up for our cruise on the 1st of June, but they refuse to make any compensations for us and the cabin will now only hold two people instead of three. My brother tried valiantly to no avail. We will be staying mid ship with a 500 OBC.

Still hoping for a great cruise though.
So how did you find out that an aft had opened up? We are on for the 15th? Do you know which Aft cabin # now says for 2 people?

Old May 26th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Just back from our trip on Rhapsody late last night. We had a good cruise, saw what we wanted to see, and enjoyed ourselves.

As expected, the crew did take care of us, in their normal, efficient way. If there was anything we needed during the week, we only had to ask. But that has always been the norm for us. The ship's crew being forced to deal with Miami's shortcomings.

There were no confrontations between new bookings and old. We barely saw the two men that occupied the corner aft directly next to our cabin, and there were no conversations. Seemed to us to be a waste of a great balcony on their part.

For our part, we made sure that our onboard charges matched the measly $200 onboard credit that we received, in exchange for having our cabin sold out from under us. I think we went over by $7.00. By the time RCI submits the charge to Visa, that should about match the $1.00 a day that RCI wants to spend to feed each guest during a cruise in the main dining room.

At any rate, the cruise is behind us, and so is Royal Caribbean.

Old May 26th, 2012, 10:08 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by papakaiser View Post
For our part, we made sure that our onboard charges matched the measly $200 onboard credit that we received, in exchange for having our cabin sold out from under us. I think we went over by $7.00. By the time RCI submits the charge to Visa, that should about match the $1.00 a day that RCI wants to spend to feed each guest during a cruise in the main dining room.
This part was funny

I feel bad every time I think about how Royal mismanaged your carefully planned vacation. It's a shame that the other guests did not make much use of their balcony. I'm glad you were able to have a decent time in spite of what happened.

Old May 26th, 2012, 11:31 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat46 View Post
So how did you find out that an aft had opened up? We are on for the 15th? Do you know which Aft cabin # now says for 2 people?

You would do a dummy booking to see what cabins/rates are for your sailing.
Also just call and ask about cabins available.

Sorry you didn't get your original cabin back.

Spending Our Children's Inheritance
One Cruise a a Time!

252 days at sea with RC and counting!
23 cruises on RC!
Always excited for the next one!
Sovereign~ Majesty~ Monarch~
Vision x2 ~ Rhapsody x 2 ~ Grandeur~
Radiance x 7 ~ Serenade~ Brilliance~Jewel
Mariner x 2 ~ Navigator
We strayed to X....running back to RC!
Celebrity Eclipse

~~~~~~~~
So many ships left to explore!!

~~~Future cruises~~~
Crown Princess 7 day Pacific Coast
Oct 11, 2014

Princess 7 day coastal because RC doesn't cruise out of the west coast!!

May 2015 for a BIG birthday!
Alaska - Radiance
Oct 2015 Pacific Coast
Jewel of the Seas

RC does sail out of the west coast!!!
So Caribbean Feb 2016 Serenade

Old May 27th, 2012, 10:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by papakaiser View Post
Just back from our trip on Rhapsody late last night. We had a good cruise, saw what we wanted to see, and enjoyed ourselves.

As expected, the crew did take care of us, in their normal, efficient way. If there was anything we needed during the week, we only had to ask. But that has always been the norm for us. The ship's crew being forced to deal with Miami's shortcomings.

There were no confrontations between new bookings and old. We barely saw the two men that occupied the corner aft directly next to our cabin, and there were no conversations. Seemed to us to be a waste of a great balcony on their part.

At any rate, the cruise is behind us, and so is Royal Caribbean.
So sad -- I guess I hoped something magical would happen at the last minute, but I should have figured differently.

What's next for you guys? I assume nothing in the RCI network...switching to NCL maybe?

Old May 27th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Dear Lord ehrn does tois end?

Old May 29th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just curious. What sailing are you on? We also got "moved" with the renovation. We are currently on the last cabin starboard side on the June 29th cruise. We are taking this cruise to celebrate my husband's safe return from Afghanistan as well as his birthday. Although he is not hot under the collar about this, I am livid!

Guess I should have double-triple-quadruple checked this one out!

Cruises so far:
Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera
Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera
Celebrity Millennium - Pacific NW
Carnival Miracle - Caribbean

Coming Soon!:
RCCL Rhapsody of the Sea - Alaska (6/29)

In the Distance!:
Carnival Freedom - CC Member B2B (2/14)

Old May 29th, 2012, 05:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

We booked a corner aft JS simply because it was available. We would have been fine with a D2 and we now have a slightly bigger D2 for JS pricing. UGH!!!! For 11 days, Vancouver to Honolulu, it would have been super to have the original location. I am trying to get past livid and simply recall the happy glow I had when I had originally booked the aft corner location. On our only other RCCL cruise, a Transatlantic, the Windjammer was under construction for the duration, so we and the other passengers were crammed into other spaces for meals unless we wanted to go to the main dining room. Silly me! I was looking for really experiencing the RC hospitality the way it should have been on our last cruise with them. Live and learn. Cruising is still a nice break from homestyle reality and we need to remember that! Good luck to you and your hubby! RCCL can do the right thing but whether they will is their call. Many thanks to your hubby for serving our great Nation!

Next cruise Baltic!

Carnival Conquest June 2006
Carnival Ecstasy September 23, 2006
Holland America Cruisetour #6 -Zaandam, Alaska, May 30, 2007
Carnival Ecstasy August 16, 2007
Carnival Ecstasy March 26, 2009
RCL Vision of the Seas April 19, 2009 Transatlantic - Repositioning
Carnival Triumph March 2010
Carnival Conquest June 2011
RCL Rhapsody of the Seas Sept. 2012 - Hawaii

Old May 30th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertpilot View Post
So sad -- I guess I hoped something magical would happen at the last minute, but I should have figured differently.

What's next for you guys? I assume nothing in the RCI network...switching to NCL maybe?
Not sure what's next for us. Still looking at our options. We have been looking at Disney and Princess. We don't want to limit ourselves to one line, like we did with Royal. Hope you have a good cruise also.

Old June 1st, 2012, 08:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

For what it's worth- after debating on a cruise for almost 3 months now, we decided to go with NCL for 2 reasons - the price, and the way they have treated all of you. Strangely, my PCC at Royal, Erica Iwanow, said that her customers that had been effected were treated well and were really pleased with the outcome, but that she agrees that Royal could have handled the situation better.... too bad Royal, you lost another one over this!
(click for pictures)
1/16/10 - Serenade of the Seas
6/8/13 - Norwegian Gem

1/4/15 - Norwegian Sun - Join our Roll Call!

Old June 17th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, we are back from our June 1,2012 Alaska sailing on the Rhapsody of the Seas. The boat was lovely and they did a wonderful job during the dry dock. The crew and staff were all fantastic as well. I can't imagine sailing with a nicer and more helpful bunch.

We were a little unsure at first. A lot of little things are missing on the RCI line. I guess we have been spoiled by Celebrity In the past. The first night on the ship we experienced a little floor popping in our JS that made it impossible to sleep. The night crew moved us to another room for the night so that we could get some sleep. The next day we were called by the head man In charge with an offer to move to another cabin so they could make repairs on our cabin. I am pleased to report that they moved us to the Owners Suite for the duration of the cruise. The room and especially the bathroom were beautiful. Our room steward was wonderful and all of the perks that come with the suite were well enjoyed also. I could definitely get used to that level of travel.

I am not sure if I will travel with RCI again in the future, but I appreciate all of the people that we dealt with on the ship. I am curious as to whether our pre-cruise disaster precipitated this move or not. It would be interesting information to have.

Royal Caribbean - June 1993
Celebrity Century - March 1995
Disney Magic - May 1999
Celebrity Millenium - April 2002
Celebrity Infinity - April 2009
Celebrity Infinity - August 2010

Old December 27th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Frankly, the originally booked persons....should have priority status over the room for someone who then booked it later on! RCL should have honored the room for those that booked early and immediately contacted them of the room number changes. PERIOD.

Then deal with the newly booked disgruntled passengers after explaining this room was double booked because of a technical error and offer them the same apology and compensation. Chances are they would be less upset and happy with their newfound perks...as they only recently booked. Or they can cancel if not happy.

The original people booking this room already invested airfare and vacation time etc....and were treated unfairly (IMHO)

Old December 27th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Did you look at how old this thread is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old January 12th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Navigator and Brilliance Refurbish

I heard the same thing happened on Navigator
I am due to sail on Brilliance 8/31 after refurbish and have an AFT and hope the same does not happen to us
Janet
Enchantment 7/98 RCCL
Fantasy 3/99
Elation 7/99
Enchantment 7/00 RCCL
Explorer 6/30/01 RCCL
Golden Princess 3/2/02
Rhapsody 8/17/03 RCCL
Rhapsody 4/25/04 RCCL
Rhapsody 5/1/05 RCCL

Old January 12th, 2013, 11:17 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by janets View Post
I am due to sail on Brilliance 8/31 after refurbish and have an AFT and hope the same does not happen to us
Janet
That's odd because I didn't think Navigator had been in dry dock yet.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Old January 12th, 2013, 11:26 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarea View Post
That's odd because I didn't think Navigator had been in dry dock yet.
It hasn't.

Old January 12th, 2013, 11:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Cool So sorry for the original poster's situation...

...though I am glad the cruise was salvaged somewhat. My wife and I will be sailing to Alaska on the Rhapsody in late May. This will be very special as it will be a belated honeymoon of sorts (we married in August), and also because our first cruise together was on the Rhapsody in the mid 00's when we were new sweethearts.

We are cruise veterans, and are anxious to see the difference in the Refurbed Rhapsody. Again, I am sorry it caused issues with the balcony reservations, but we are looking forward to see the face lift.

Rhapsody of the Seas 05/24/13
Independence of the Seas 07/03/10
Carnival Fantasy 09/05/09
Carnival Freedom 01/12/08
Carnival Fantasy 02/05/07
Norwegian Star 10/21/06
Jewel of the Seas 11/01/05
Rhapsody of the Seas 02/06/05
Splendour of the Seas 01/26/04
Carnival Conquest(adors!) 01/11/04
Paradise 03/02/03
Carnival Spirit 01/03
Carnival Legend 12/02
Carnival Victory 04/02
Sensation 01/02
Carnival Triumph 11/01
Imagination 11/00
Paradise 01/00
Holiday 11/98
Norway (the late, great) 1986
Mardi Gras 1986
(original CCL vessel)

Old January 13th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Rhapsody - nice in spite of cabin renumbering

Sometime ago, I weighed in on this thread because we had discovered a cabin change from aft corner to a rather generic Jr. Suite after drydock. We were cruising from Vancouver to Honolulu and felt that we would really enjoy the corner balcony, etc. RCL seems to have taken the position that it would prefer for us to be angry rather than to phone the passengers who had reserved aft corners to see if they can put them into the "new" aft corners after drydock. While on the cruise, I reserved a Baltic cruise and another because we really like RCL. The reservation person checked to see when that ship is to be refurbished and it is scheduled to be after that cruise. I really appreciated her proactive stance. It was refreshing! During refurbishment, the C&A, library and internet lounge are abolished, and all of that space in what could have been the bump, becomes more Jr. Suites. It seems like the increased income to the line would more than offset a few phone calls and having holds on the newly numbered aft cabins, until passengers have a chance to be satisfied.

So, what do you do? Ask lots of questions and frequently check the ship layout to be sure that your cabin location is where you think it is. (If it doesn't matter, then I wonder why you are reading this thread.)

Next cruise Baltic!

Old January 13th, 2013, 05:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Be Proactive!

JANETS -

Quote:
Originally Posted by janets View Post
Janet
Call RCL ASAP and demand that they assign you the "new" aft cabin number. They already have deck plans for the refurbished ships and you should be first in line for a cabin that you already think that you have. Best of luck!

Next cruise Baltic!

Old January 13th, 2013, 09:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Oddly enough the deck 8 plans are not working on the RCCL site for the dates of the Alaska cruises this year. Wonder if Royal had them disabled on purpose?