Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Thomson Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 15th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Defender View Post
Its a funny old game, as I've cruised once on the Dream (returning in June) and wouldn't change a thing.

Our main enjoyment comes from having a clean and safe room (tick), good entertainment (tick), lots of good ports (tick), a laid back setting (tick), and a decent evening meal in pleasant surroundings (tick).

Sorry if my tick list has annoyed anyone, but its genuinely the shortlist to our holiday, even if its basic for what we've paid compared to what we would have got for that amount of money with any other cruise co.

In December when we were looking at this years cruise we had ALL the brochures, and although a lot of attractions seem great, we know we're not going to go ice skating, climb mountain walls, lose too much sleep over Ben and Jerrys ice cream parlours, go for a spa treatment, or go wild over seeing marquee international touring acts, etc.

As such the money would be well spent repairing and maintaining (with some modernising of cabin facilities) than trying to play someone else at their game.
Your list is missing one, may I add that the day your going home ,credit where its due ,Thomson Do Not kick you off the ship as some of the more Luxury/Perspex clad super liners Do !
Thomson Let you use the ship including food right up until you disembark for your coach . (tick)

--
Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Old April 15th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Totally agree with the tick list. All I need is clean and comfortable and friendly. The older ships have huge advantages, no balconies means you can have a decent stretch your legs on the decks, and on the days at sea there is plenty of deck space. The modern tiers of balconies cram you onto the top deck to get fresh air, and there is standing room only on days at sea.
With the high profile 'join in' entertainment many passengers skulk off to their cabins after dinner and have a private nightcap or fag on their balcony. Maybe they want to go on holiday on their own, if so why choose a cruise ship, by definition a lot of people on a tiny steel island.
The new ships look good have nice cabins but are not as friendly in my mind.

Old April 15th, 2012, 02:14 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos View Post
Your list is missing one, may I add that the day your going home ,credit where its due ,Thomson Do Not kick you off the ship as some of the more Luxury/Perspex clad super liners Do !
Thomson Let you use the ship including food right up until you disembark for your coach . (tick)
Our first 5 cruises were Ocean Village and Thomson and we loved the fact that you disembarked when your coach was ready for your flight. What a rude awakening we had when we were kicked off the ship at 7.30am when the flight didn't leave until 6pm and the airport wouldn't let us check in for 4 hours - thanks RCL.

I know the American ships like to clear down the entire ship but I hope Thomsons keep this wonderful way of keeping up the customer service and the passengers fed etc until the planned departure time.
Royal Caribbean x 5
Celebrity x 10
NCL x 11

Booked cruises

Celebrity x 3
NCL x 1

Old April 16th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalos View Post
Thanks for that Grez

I thought it was me for a moment It is not until you read other answers

it must be 40% " wait for our new brochure" , 40% " ring our team on .." or 20% " we cannot answer induvidual ..."
Then us who never figure
Why have a waste of space blog Give me the ships staff anyday ,they knock spots off the blog jokers .
Looks like you finally got an answer to your question on the blog Kalos, but guess what - you were fobbed off! It doesn't help that the girls on the 'social media team' don't really seem to know much about the Thomson cruise product, but the amount of 'fobbing off' on there now is ridiculous - especially the lady who is asking for info on the Destiny itinerary change, and getting told they can't comment on individual bookings. Its not an individual booking she is asking about, its the entire cruise and everyone on it thats affected!

Old April 16th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grez View Post
Looks like you finally got an answer to your question on the blog Kalos, but guess what - you were fobbed off! It doesn't help that the girls on the 'social media team' don't really seem to know much about the Thomson cruise product, but the amount of 'fobbing off' on there now is ridiculous - especially the lady who is asking for info on the Destiny itinerary change, and getting told they can't comment on individual bookings. Its not an individual booking she is asking about, its the entire cruise and everyone on it thats affected!
Cheers Grez Amazing how it went off the Thomson Blog and came back two days later , that proves they read this site to me . You are right "Fobbed Off " They are saying ,we will tell you what we have planned once it is complete
For anyone wondering Grez, I best post it below ....

Kalos says: 14/04/2012 at 11:55
Hi Amanda, We love the Destiny been twice this year and will miss her . When docked in Lanzarote the other week we were docked next to TUIs (part of the group) Mein Shiff 1 ,which was awesome.
My question is this .. Will the end result of the platinum upgrades on the two Thomson ships be anything like this ?
Thanks

• Hollie @Thomson says: 16/04/2012 at 10:40
    Hi Kalos, As the refurbishments haven’t started yet, we aren’t able to comment on what the ships will look like. As soon as the ships are finished, information will be available on our website.
Tell you what Hollie ,when its done we will let you know what its like as chances are someone off this site will be sailing on one of the ships .

--

Old April 16th, 2012, 01:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Agree with the tick list.

Thomson will have to be careful, if they put the prices up then many will turn to other Cruise lines.

For instance, the cruise I fancy next Feb on the Dream is £150 less than the similar P&O cruise, if Thomson put the price up much more I might jump ship....

Old April 16th, 2012, 02:23 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeholiday2 View Post
Agree with the tick list.

Thomson will have to be careful, if they put the prices up then many will turn to other Cruise lines.

For instance, the cruise I fancy next Feb on the Dream is £150 less than the similar P&O cruise, if Thomson put the price up much more I might jump ship....
And what's more in Feb this year you could have had 14 nights on the Azura or Ventura for £999! (Basic cabin grade) We very nearly went for it but got two more ports of call plus the Thomson entertainment we love (and the atmosphere on board of course) by booking for the Dream but we paid £600 more for it!!! Loyalty only goes so far.

Old April 16th, 2012, 03:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

We have just come back from two weeks on the Dream in the Caribbean and would love to go back next Feb. Not sure if it's best to book soon in case they push the prices up with the improvements or to book late which we did last time and got a good deal. Am really undecided.

Old April 16th, 2012, 03:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveystar View Post
We have just come back from two weeks on the Dream in the Caribbean and would love to go back next Feb. Not sure if it's best to book soon in case they push the prices up with the improvements or to book late which we did last time and got a good deal. Am really undecided.

Yes me too, its £1422 online at the moment for when I want to go in March, really can't decide if I should book now or wait.............

Old April 16th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

There was a response on the Thomson Blog when someone asked exactly the same question that existing bookings would not be affected by the Platinun upgrade, so yes, I'd reckon there is a pretty good chance that prices will go up just as soon as the new brochures are published.

But of course you can't be sure....

Old April 16th, 2012, 06:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightryder View Post
There was a response on the Thomson Blog when someone asked exactly the same question that existing bookings would not be affected by the Platinun upgrade, so yes, I'd reckon there is a pretty good chance that prices will go up just as soon as the new brochures are published.

But of course you can't be sure....
I'm going to be looking at the prices very carefully when the brochure comes out next week, comparing the prices with this summer's prices. It seems that the lead in price that has been posted on here is the same as this years - time will tell whether that will be the same story for the rest of the year.

I can't see them putting the prices up much for the winter Caribbean cruises if people have already booked them. Would seem unfair if someone has to pay a lot lot more now because of the Platinum upgrade announcement to someone who has already booked - then again, this is Thomson!

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default What is Thompson Like?

Two weeks age on the Emerald Princess we tied up along side the Thompson Celebration in Antiqua. Have never heard of the line, and while the ship was almost half the size of the Emerald, she did have a nice look to her, particulalry the layered stern, well maintained and a nice sized vessel. However with no balconies I could not see being on a Caribbean Cruise.

What do you like about Thompson and what makes it a tier #3 line and what would it take to make it a tier #4 line (not sure what this means)'

Cheers

P.S. does anyone know where she got a nice bump on the starboard side up near the bridge...it looks like it was repaired some time ago?

Emerald Princess: April 6,2012 Southern Caribbean
HAL Noordam : December 12,2011 Southern Caribbean Wayfarer
Carnival Freedom: Sepember 9,2011-Eastern Caribean
Crown Princess: April 9 2011 - Western Caribbean
H AL Westerdam: December 3,2010 - Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Solstice: September 12,2010 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle: March 20,2010 - Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty: December 12,2009 - Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Glory: September 12,2009 - Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Legend: May 17,2009 - Western Caribbean

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelan View Post
Two weeks age on the Emerald Princess we tied up along side the Thompson Celebration in Antiqua. Have never heard of the line, and while the ship was almost half the size of the Emerald, she did have a nice look to her, particulalry the layered stern, well maintained and a nice sized vessel. However with no balconies I could not see being on a Caribbean Cruise.

What do you like about Thompson and what makes it a tier #3 line and what would it take to make it a tier #4 line (not sure what this means)'

Cheers

P.S. does anyone know where she got a nice bump on the starboard side up near the bridge...it looks like it was repaired some time ago?
I doubt it, Thomson Celebration spends her winters in the Red Sea

It would be the Dream, and it does have balconies, 6 of them

good food, good entertainment, good price, well kept ships but not new, good itineries, great crews, have their own airline.

what makes it 3 star? For me the ships. With modern ships they would be 4 star.

That bulge was maybe the result of some accident in her long history. Previously she was Coasta Europa and collided with the dock at Sharm el Sheik. Sadly some crew members died.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 11:34 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelan View Post

Cheers

Not sure you saw the Celebration in Antigua - she's in the Red Sea currently and has been there all winter. As far as I know she has never been in the Caribbean. Thomson have had the Destiny and Dream in the Caribbean in recent years - but not Celebration. I don't think there are any plans for her to be in the Caribbean in the foreseeable future either. Dream is there for the 21012/13 seaon and we're expecting it to be there again 2013/14.

So, you are giving very confusing information and I'm not sure we're talking about the same ship.

As for Thomson being 3* and what regulars like about Thomson:-
3* not 4* on account of the age of the ship and the limited facilites, wow-factors and quality of cabin fixtures/fittings.
Why we like it: service, atmosphere, friendliness, and entertainment - this being regarded as 5* by many as the best as compared with most cruise-lines (unless you're into magicians, acrobats, opera singers and limited shows in which case it may not suit).

Old April 24th, 2012, 04:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Platinum entertainment

Just watched this slightly strange video on YouTube of the so called 'Platinum Cruise entertainment'. For some reason they've decided to do a performance in the middle of some TUI offices??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezkrl...w3Uh7qks9bRnI=

Don't know what difference this is compared to normal cruise entertainment we have come to expect? Now, a video showing Majesty's entertainment would be more useful...

Old April 24th, 2012, 04:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

That was a bit random.

Old April 24th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway487 View Post
Just watched this slightly strange video on YouTube of the so called 'Platinum Cruise entertainment'. For some reason they've decided to do a performance in the middle of some TUI offices??

Don't know what difference this is compared to normal cruise entertainment we have come to expect? Now, a video showing Majesty's entertainment would be more useful...
The same show was on the Destiny a few weeks ago done by their show team .
Are they telling us that this is new for the platinum cruises.
Somehow the Can Can Lounge and an office are not the same ,so fairplay to the cast as put into the right enviroment ,
that would have been a good show .

--

Old April 29th, 2012, 05:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wightryder View Post
The phrase 'too clever for your own good' comes to mind. Thomson have (or had) a well deserved reputation for a solid, good mid market cruise experience which appealed to a lot of people but they seem to be frittering it away with the dilution of entertainment on Majesty and the presentation of refurbishments to two ships as moving up market when in reality it is just overdue refurbishment. There is only so much you can do to upgrade an old smallish ship however appealing it is and you certainly cannot charge premium prices as a result. Plus flying out to join the ship is an experience to be suffered rather than enjoyed.

There are better holiday options on offer.
I have been following these discussions with interest. We are taking our first cruise in Sept this year and it will be on the Celebration. Most comments I have seen have been favourable with all be it "common" issues. I would be interested to hear the other holiday options you have discovered to be better as we haven't yet discovered the alternatives for this section of the market and any information would help us.

Old April 29th, 2012, 06:51 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway487 View Post

Just watched the video - and am quite confused too. What is the conclusion we are meant to draw from this?

- 'Platinum Cruise Entertainment' - what to expect on Platinum ships and not the others?
- Something 'new' - not so, as others have pointed out this section form Les Mis has been around for a while. We've seen it at least twice in a show which also included excerpts from Miss Saigon and Cats (happy to see it any number of times too as it's part of a superb show imo).

It's a bit bizarre really - if they had advertised it as a taste of Thomson entertainment that would have been more understandable - but then again given the Majesty situation - perhaps they can't. If it isn't a taste of Thomson entertainment across the board they've had to careful not to infer it's typical over all their ships. But where does Spirit fit in? I bet it's the same as Celebration and Dream (Platinum ships).

By the way, isn't that Paul Fisher one of the CD's taking the part of the 'Master of the House'? I thought the girl taking the part of his wife in the clip was familiar too but I didn't recognise any other performers. They're probably a new team waiting to go out for the summer season. If anyone knows where Paul is Cd-ing from May that will probably tell us where this group is headed. Did anyone recognise anyone else?

mtt - you're our resident expert on the entertainers - do you know any more?

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruzseeka View Post
Just watched the video - and am quite confused too. What is the conclusion we are meant to draw from this?

- 'Platinum Cruise Entertainment' - what to expect on Platinum ships and not the others?
- Something 'new' - not so, as others have pointed out this section form Les Mis has been around for a while. We've seen it at least twice in a show which also included excerpts from Miss Saigon and Cats (happy to see it any number of times too as it's part of a superb show imo).

It's a bit bizarre really - if they had advertised it as a taste of Thomson entertainment that would have been more understandable - but then again given the Majesty situation - perhaps they can't. If it isn't a taste of Thomson entertainment across the board they've had to careful not to infer it's typical over all their ships. But where does Spirit fit in? I bet it's the same as Celebration and Dream (Platinum ships).

By the way, isn't that Paul Fisher one of the CD's taking the part of the 'Master of the House'? I thought the girl taking the part of his wife in the clip was familiar too but I didn't recognise any other performers. They're probably a new team waiting to go out for the summer season. If anyone knows where Paul is Cd-ing from May that will probably tell us where this group is headed. Did anyone recognise anyone else?

mtt - you're our resident expert on the entertainers - do you know any more?

Not seen anything but Paul fisher was in keighley last week, looks like he may be part of a new team which looks like anold team from the dream, which his wife is part of
thomson celebration red sea voyage oct 2010
thomson celebration pyramids & piazzas feb 2011
thomson spirit adriatic explorer oct 2011
thomson spirit highlights of the med oct 2012
thomson spirit agean discovery march 2013
thomson majesty adriatic explorer may 2013
thomson dream med medley oct 2013
thomson celebration colourful coasts jan 2014
thomson spirit delights/promised land april 2014
thomson spirit eastern venture oct 2014