Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Air

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 17th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Air reservations thru TA or on your own???

We have always booked our cruises (and air) through our travel agent. This time, we booked our cruise on our own through the cruiselines web site. But we still need to fly to our port...going from the West Coast to Florida.

I am looking at our options...Choice Air, Expedia, Travelocity, etc., and the specific airlines web site, although it is still a bit early (about a year away). So my question is, should we just go through with our travel agent for the air, or try to do it on our own??

PRIOR CRUISES:

RCCL MONARCH OF THE SEAS, 1993, 7 NIGHT SOUTHERN CARRIBBEAN

RCCL MAJESTY OF THE SEAS, 1995, 7 NIGHT WESTERN CARRIBBEAN

RCCL LEGEND OF THE SEAS, 1998, 10 NIGHT TRANSCANAL

RCCL VISION OF THE SEAS, 2003, 7 NIGHT MEXICAN RIVIERA

CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM, 2005, 7 NIGHT WESTERN CARRIBEAN

RCCL MONARCH OF THE SEAS, 2006, 4 NIGHT BAJA MEXICO

CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM, 2008 14 NIGHT ULTIMATE ALASKA

RCCL RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, 2009, 5 NIGHT MEXICAN RIVIERA

RCCL MARINER OF THE SEAS, 2010, 7 NIGHT MEXICAN RIVIERA

CELEBRITY EQUINOX, 2013, 11 NIGHT ULTIMATE CARRIBEAN

CELEBRITY CENTURY, 2014, 7 NIGHT PACIFIC COASTAL

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Ask yourself this - what do you gain out of using a travel agent, besides an additional fee?

Old April 17th, 2012, 09:51 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach1213 View Post
Ask yourself this - what do you gain out of using a travel agent, besides an additional fee?
TA don't get a comission on air arrangements or usually charge you for this...That being said..I always book my own air myself directly with the carrier's website for our yearly eastern caribbean cruises ..I book LAX-FLL nonstop or connect thru ATL since I use DL..Do it yourself no reason to involve a 3rd party.I start looking as soon as air opens and usually end up booking it approx 8 months out..Since I watch it so closely I have often gotten first class for just a few dollars more than economy..Good luck.

Last edited by Ashland; April 17th, 2012 at 09:54 PM.

Old April 17th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree... No reason to add a third party. Even if there aren't fees, it's one more hand touching your reservation, and for no reason

Old April 17th, 2012, 11:17 PM
10,000+ Club

Read the MANY MANY negative posts here about cruise air.

Better book on your own thru various sites like Kayak, or the airline sites themselves.

Old April 18th, 2012, 12:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiserBruce View Post
Read the MANY MANY negative posts here about cruise air.

Better book on your own thru various sites like Kayak, or the airline sites themselves.

Right...that's why I was a little hesitant about doing it ourselves. Another question...I've read that sometimes your seats are not guaranteed if you book thru any sites other than the airline. How true is this??

Also, I have never heard of Kayak-is it another site like Priceline, Expedia, etc.??

PRIOR CRUISES:

RCCL MONARCH OF THE SEAS, 1993, 7 NIGHT SOUTHERN CARRIBBEAN

RCCL MAJESTY OF THE SEAS, 1995, 7 NIGHT WESTERN CARRIBBEAN

RCCL LEGEND OF THE SEAS, 1998, 10 NIGHT TRANSCANAL

RCCL VISION OF THE SEAS, 2003, 7 NIGHT MEXICAN RIVIERA

CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM, 2005, 7 NIGHT WESTERN CARRIBEAN

RCCL MONARCH OF THE SEAS, 2006, 4 NIGHT BAJA MEXICO

CELEBRITY MILLENNIUM, 2008 14 NIGHT ULTIMATE ALASKA

RCCL RADIANCE OF THE SEAS, 2009, 5 NIGHT MEXICAN RIVIERA

RCCL MARINER OF THE SEAS, 2010, 7 NIGHT MEXICAN RIVIERA

CELEBRITY EQUINOX, 2013, 11 NIGHT ULTIMATE CARRIBEAN

CELEBRITY CENTURY, 2014, 7 NIGHT PACIFIC COASTAL

Old April 18th, 2012, 01:00 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by casandbliz View Post
Right...that's why I was a little hesitant about doing it ourselves. Another question...I've read that sometimes your seats are not guaranteed if you book thru any sites other than the airline. How true is this??

Also, I have never heard of Kayak-is it another site like Priceline, Expedia, etc.??
Yes, Kayak is in the same category.

Seats are never guaranteed no matter where you book them.

Like many others, I fly regularly (altho not as much as some of the real experts here). I book both thru airline websites and some of the side agencies.

Old April 18th, 2012, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by casandbliz View Post

Like Bruce says, seats are never guaranteed, no matter how you book them. Also, the cheaper the fare, and without airline frequent flier status, the less the airline will care about sticking you in a rotten seat. Not saying it'll happen, but if it's between a consolidator fare and a normal fare, you'll probably get your seat moved first.

But even booking with airlines, no seats are guaranteed until your butt is in it

Old April 18th, 2012, 01:46 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach1213 View Post

But even booking with airlines, no seats are guaranteed until your butt is in it
Even then, it's not guaranteed.

OP - use this website to look for airfare when your dates are available for booking:

matrix.itasoftware.com

You can't book there, but you can find flights, prices, etc. Then I highly advise you book directly with the airline.

Last edited by 6rugrats; April 18th, 2012 at 01:47 PM.

Old April 18th, 2012, 03:24 PM
5,000+ Club

Kayak is merely an aggregator that returns search results from a number of sources at once. One thing to be aware of is that pricing that is less than what you would get from the airline directly is often a consolidator or bulk ticket that is significantly different than an airline-direct ticket, in terms of the fare rules and conditions. It's not always apples and apples.

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan