Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

East Coast Departures
Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:14 AM
5,000+ Club

Default Newark or Secacous (sp)

Taking Gem from NYC and will not pay to park there for 9 nights. Thinking about usung Dail7 but was wondering where I would be best off one night precruise. I am leaning towards EWR since I can get a PSL deal but would it be more expensive for the transfer from there than secacaus?

Crown Dynasty - Bermuda - June 2000
Fascination - Cozumel - February 2002
Horizon - Bermuda - May 2004
Voyager of the Seas Repo/Thanksgiving - November 2005
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean (Hurricane Dean) August 2007
Enchantment of the Seas - Western Caribbean - January 2008
Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - January 2009
Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - January 2010
Dream - Eastern Caribbean - August 2010
Glory - Bahamas (Hurricane Sandy - cruise to nowhere) October 2012
NCL Breakaway - Bermuda - June 2014

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:47 AM
10,000+ Club

I'm not sure about the price difference for the transfer. Secaucus should be a little cheaper, but probably not more than $10-15.

For Park/Sleeps at Newark look at trinityreservations.com - Fairfield Inn or Ramada (budget choice) or stay123.com - Country Inns. You must be selective - there are park/sleep hotels that we do NOT recommend.

For less expensive transportation get a quote from Independent Driver - 888-816-0973 ext 0. Be sure to get a quote for transportation and tolls - tip would be extra.

Carol

Old April 18th, 2012, 08:54 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by familycruzer View Post
Taking Gem from NYC and will not pay to park there for 9 nights. Thinking about usung Dail7 but was wondering where I would be best off one night precruise. I am leaning towards EWR since I can get a PSL deal but would it be more expensive for the transfer from there than secacaus?
It looks like Dial 7 may actually charge a few dollars more for a pick up from Secaucus than it would from Newark Airport (the likely reason is that they do a lot of their business to and from the airport and they have to compete with other companies and transportation modes, so the price is a few dollars less).

You can do test bookings at www.dial7.com for your exact date to get a more precise answer.

Old April 18th, 2012, 09:06 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 138east View Post
I'm not sure about the price difference for the transfer. Secaucus should be a little cheaper, but probably not more than $10-15.

For Park/Sleeps at Newark look at trinityreservations.com - Fairfield Inn or Ramada (budget choice) or stay123.com - Country Inns. You must be selective - there are park/sleep hotels that we do NOT recommend.

For less expensive transportation get a quote from Independent Driver - 888-816-0973 ext 0. Be sure to get a quote for transportation and tolls - tip would be extra.

We always use a Marriott brand hotel and have stayed by EWR many times. I will look into the driver rate though. Is Independent Driver a name of a business or just a driver that you found?

Crown Dynasty - Bermuda - June 2000
Fascination - Cozumel - February 2002
Horizon - Bermuda - May 2004
Voyager of the Seas Repo/Thanksgiving - November 2005
Freedom of the Seas - Western Caribbean (Hurricane Dean) August 2007
Enchantment of the Seas - Western Caribbean - January 2008
Explorer of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - January 2009
Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - January 2010
Dream - Eastern Caribbean - August 2010
Glory - Bahamas (Hurricane Sandy - cruise to nowhere) October 2012
NCL Breakaway - Bermuda - June 2014

Old April 18th, 2012, 10:26 AM
10,000+ Club

The Fairfield is a Marriott hotel - they offer 14 days parking, room, and breakfast for $138 incl tax. Independent Driver is a no frills "car service". They have their cards on the desk at the Fairfield Inn and are on the trinity website offering cruiseport transportation. They don't have a website themselves and only take reservations 4-6 weeks ahead. I used them for an Explorer cruise for 7 folks from the roll call to go to Cape Liberty. We went over in a van and came back in a small bus like a rental car bus. I know others on this board have used them to go to Manhattan.

Carol