Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Honeymoon & Wedding Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Honeymoon & Wedding Cruises Ready to say "I do?" Plan a honeymoon cruise here.

Old April 28th, 2012, 07:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantwait2cruize View Post
My daughters land wedding cost $50,000, that's what happens when you send out invitations for a celebration. You don't ask your guest to pay for your party!!!
To each his/her own, but I agree with you. Since we are now having our wedding after the ship leaves port, we are subsidizing the cost of the cruise for the majority of our guests. We feel it was important 1) to ensure their attendance and 2) because no one should have to pay excessive amounts of money to come to our wedding. The second we hatched this plan, we knew that we'd be paying for our guests and we are happy to. The upside is that it'll cost us half of what a "land" wedding in our area and we still get our intimate dream wedding.
Carnival Glory (New York) 6/19/10-Canada

Carnival Glory (Boston) 6/10/12- Canadian B2B!
Carnival Glory (Boston) 6/14/12-Canadian B2B!
Carnival Pride (Baltimore) 11/2/12-Superstorm Sandy Special!
Carnival Pride (Baltimore) 1/13/13-
Wedding Cruise to the Bahamas! Pre-Wedding Tour Review Wedding Review
Carnival Pride (Baltimore) 2/24/13- Honeymoon to the Bahamas

Carnival Glory (Boston) 06/16/13-Canadian B2B to Platinum!
Carnival Glory (Boston) 06/20/13- B2B Birthday Princess Cruise
Carnival Fantasy (Charleston) 11/19/13- Wife's Platinum Cruise
Carnival Freedom (Ft. Lauderdale) 11/23/14-Thanksgiving with Dr. Seuss!

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 29th, 2012, 12:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnival_Brides View Post
To each his/her own, but I agree with you. Since we are now having our wedding after the ship leaves port, we are subsidizing the cost of the cruise for the majority of our guests. We feel it was important 1) to ensure their attendance and 2) because no one should have to pay excessive amounts of money to come to our wedding. The second we hatched this plan, we knew that we'd be paying for our guests and we are happy to. The upside is that it'll cost us half of what a "land" wedding in our area and we still get our intimate dream wedding.
I agree with you here. I would feel guilty making my guests pay to attend my wedding. This is why we decided just to get married in port. That way our guests aren't forced to pay for a vacation to attend our wedding; they can come to the ceremony/reception and leave.
I am very lucky to have amazing friends and family that are willing to cruise with us afterwards, but paying for them all on a 7 night cruise out of nyc on a brand new ship is way out of my budget.

Old April 29th, 2012, 10:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Good luck with all of your planning. We planned our wedding cruise about 18 months in advance. We had to wait for thr cruise line to release dates, but since we knew what we were planning, we informed our very close and families way head of time so that they had time to prepare as well. We were in a bit of a spot with trying to find something out of ny. 8 days was just too long. So, we decided to head north instead on a 5 day to Canada from NYC. This way, it saved airfare and a lot of travel. A new ship is fantastic!,, you are lucky!,,,

Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

Worth noting that someone here on the boards (msg102711 See this page of the "Favors?" thread http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...7#post30721747) was able to get Carnival to up her non-sailing guest allowance to 70 non-sailing guests just by asking. So Carnival will be flexible with you -- can't hurt to ask!

Old May 4th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

We did the same... we had 53 people sail and 83 at the reception. They paid for their own cruise. Those that could not afford the cruise met us at Key West for the wedding and reception and got off the ship before it sailed off. We paid for the wedding, transportation to the wedding and back to the ship, and reception. Of course invitations gift bags etc. BUt it was just so much cheaper than if I had done a wedding on land. People had no problem booking for a 6 day cruise and many used it to celebrate annviersaries, birthdays, graduations etc. The wedding is a separate cost from the cruise! Its no different than a land wedding... you dont pay for everyone's plane tickets to fly in, their hotels and meals if they come days before. You pay for the wedding only.

And FYI We did do the wedding and EVERYTHING else on our own. Not only was it way cheaper but less of a head ache and more unique. Also we wanted a church wedding. We only used them for the wedding reception which onbviously included cake, toast etc.