Triumph Review - 4/14/12 - 4/19/12

dwright406

A few weeks before this cruise some good friends of ours decided to join us on this voyage.

Jen and I would be celebrating our 13th anniversary on April 17th, so we intended this to be a nice relaxing romantic getaway for just the 2 of us, but we didn’t mind a little company.

The other couple accompanying us were experienced cruisers having cruised once before on an RCCL ship some 6+ years ago. This would be their first Carnival experience.

We left home for the 45 minute drive to Galveston at about 8:30 am on Saturday the 14th.

We arrived at the terminal before 10 and were on board by 11.

Jen and I had L-shaped extended balcony room #6432, which is on the port side of the ship all the way aft. This is the room directly in front of the aft-wrap. This room is shaped differently than the typical cabin and the balcony is twice the length of the typical balcony. It was a very nice room and location.

The ship itself is in excellent condition, very clean and easy to navigate. The entire crew is extremely friendly and hard working. I never met one unpleasant or unhelpful crew member.

The food is excellent, I never went hungry and even though I am a fairly picky eater, I was always having a difficult time trying to pick just one thing to eat. Everything I ordered was delicious.

We ate in the MDR for dinner every night, we had a very nice table for 2 (it was actually a booth for 4 which we had to ourselves) which was on the second level of the Paris dining room, overlooking the lower level.

Being that we were celebrating our 13th anniversary while on the cruise, I had previously contacted John Heald asking if he could help with getting a table for 2.

On the first day we were surprised to find a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a ship trophy delivered to our stateroom with a note stating that they were compliments of John Heald and Tex the cruise director to help ‘enhance our experience’, which was a very nice and unexpected touch.

Also on the first night at dinner the Maitre D stopped by our table and mentioned that he hoped we enjoyed the premium dining location, and that he hoped we “wouldn’t tell Mr. John about him sitting us at a table for 4, since it was just the two of us.”

I shook his hand and thoroughly thanked him, he was extremely nice and personable.

Progreso Mexico

This was our second time to Progreso.

I wasn’t that impressed the first time, but I decided to give it another chance this time around.

After this visit, I personally don’t care to go back.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the town itself has a unique charming quality to it. But it has its issues that basically ruin the overall experience of the place.

We took the double-decker bus tour around town, which is a nice way to get an idea of where everything is in the city.

After the tour we walked down and sat on the beach in front of Buddy’s under a palapa. We ordered margaritas and nachos.

Soon after we took our seat here they came, the vendors.

Now, I fully expected this, I knew this was a poor part of the world and I’m used to dealing with natives selling their wares. But it was to a point that it was ridiculous.

One person would stop by the table with Cuban cigars, and after a couple of ‘no thank yous’ he/she would move down to the next table.

Then, a few short seconds later, someone with bracelets, and another no thank you or 2 and they would walk off.

20 seconds later, kids selling sea shells. No thank you.

10 seconds later, an old lady wanting to braid my wife’s hair. No thank you.

15 second later, an old man with a guitar just pulls up a chair at the end of the table and starts playing a song. After the song is finished he just sits there and stares at us and won’t leave until we give him some money.

Once he leaves, a different person with cigars. No thank you.

Not a full minute later, a guy selling hand carved ash trays. No thank you.

Then, as soon as he leaves a man in his 20’s, all of 400+ pounds walks up and says “I live on the streets” My friend answers with “I’m sorry to hear that.”

He then stands there and stared for an extended length of awkwardness.

Then the man says “Can I have a dollar?”

We just answer with a polite No.

He then says “I’m very hungry.”

This is when we all look up at him, my friend looks him up and down and says “You are hungry!?”

The man shakes his head and asks for a dollar again.

At this point we are forced to quit being polite and have to tell him to go away.

As soon as he leaves a woman offers us her massage services. No thank you.

A few more seconds pass before the next one brings us more ashtrays. No thank you.

Less than a minute later and more bracelets show up at our table.

At this point we decide we have had enough and walk back to the bus to take us back to the ship.

All we wanted to do was sit by the beach and enjoy a few drinks and some good conversation with our friends, but that is impossible while being bombarded with peddlers and beggars. We managed to down one small margarita each and a plate of nachos split between the 4 of us before we left. The food was edible, nothing special. The margaritas were nothing special as well, small but reasonably priced and tasted just like margaritas anywhere else.

Cozumel Mexico

This was our fourth time to visit Cozumel, and I believe I will never get tired of visiting this beautiful island.

This time around we took the Cozumel Bar Hop Bus. http://www.cozumelbarhop.com

This tour takes you on a nice air conditioned tour bus to the east side of the island, which is undeveloped for the most part, save for the few bars that dot the coast.

The water and the beaches on the east side of the island is something everyone should see at least once. The water is crystal clear/turquoise with huge crashing waves. Large chunks of coral line the beaches accompanied with the course white sand that surrounds Cozumel. The white sand is just finely ground coral.

The ocean along the entire east side of the island crashes ashore with large pipeline waves, I can image it would be excellent surfing, if you were a surfer, which I am not.

Our first stop was Coconuts, which is perched on the highest point on the island, 42 feet or so above sea level. The bar is under a large thatch roof with amazing views overlooking the beautiful water of the Caribbean.

The drinks there are strong and tasty, I had a blue margarita and Jen had a Pina Colada.

Coconuts was a perfect start to an amazing day.

Next stop was Punta Morena, a very nice bar/grill powered by a wind mill (There is no electricity on this side of the island) Punta Morena has a beautiful beach with a great swimming area in a small lagoon area behind a large chunk of coral providing protection from the crashing waves and currents.

We spent all of our time here exploring the beach and didn’t even order a drink.

Next was Playa Bonita, a very cool, relaxed bar/grill with amazing views and, again, good strong drinks and great food.

We sat at a table with breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding shoreline. We were promptly waited on, we ordered quesadillas, the waiter suggested we try their large margarita for 2, so we went with his recommendation.

When he brought out the drink, we were a little surprised to see a margarita in a glass large enough to swim in. It was quite a task to finish this drink, but in the end, we reigned victorious over the large empty glass.

The quesadillas were as good as the drink as well.

Another successful bar-hop down and on to the next.

Last we were driven to Rasta’s on the southern end of the island.

Here we enjoyed the pristine beaches and scenery, we already had our fill of alcohol from the previous stops so we didn’t have any more drinks other than the free shot that came with the price of the bar hop.

We spent about 45 minutes at each stop and were dropped off at the cruise ship pier with about 30 minutes to spare.

Overall this was an amazing excursion, one I wouldn’t hesitate to repeat.

The tour guides are extremely friendly and informative, the whole operation was first class and we just had a blast, plain and simple.

This night at dinner the waiters surprised us with a piece of cake with a candle in it and sang happy anniversary to us.

I could not have hoped for a better anniversary day.

For the last sea day we finally got out and explored the ship. I’m sure some people will find faults with the Triumph, but I was very happy with her. Sure the TV’s in the cabins are old, but I wasn’t there to watch TV. The Triumph is 13 years old now and is what you would expect of a ship that age. At any given time walking around the ship you will find workers diligently cleaning.

This cruise was mostly intended for us to just relax, and that is just what we did. We spent a lot of time on our extended balcony lounging around watching the ocean go by.

We spent almost no time at all on Lido, except to pass through or grab something quick to eat.

Anyways, to sum it all up, we had a great time and would do it again without a second thought. The Triumph is a great ship with an excellent crew. I have no complaints.

Now for some pictures.

Our Stateroom – Cabin 6432

579223_10150818158201079_733771078_11354000_1640769279_n.jpg

579223_10150818158196079_733771078_11353999_544038731_n.jpg

579223_10150818158191079_733771078_11353998_1003497056_n.jpg

Random shots around the ship

578899_10150818164321079_733771078_11354026_1092603671_n.jpg

578899_10150818164291079_733771078_11354023_43754376_n.jpg

578899_10150818164306079_733771078_11354025_1805734257_n.jpg

In line to get back on the ship after our day in Cozumel

581464_10150820558801079_733771078_11360829_1073447011_n.jpg

Our prize for being awesome cruisers

578899_10150818164296079_733771078_11354024_344457727_n.jpg

Jerry, the guitarist in the lobby bar. I have yet to meet a friendlier or more talented performer.

485723_10150820580441079_733771078_11360893_1287213409_n.jpg

This was the beginning of our farewell party, which perfectly sums up the remainder of our last night on the ship, a big blur.

485723_10150820580456079_733771078_11360896_1329075631_n.jpg

This is the sunrise that welcomed us back to Galveston.

561832_10150820590656079_733771078_11360958_420142955_n.jpg

I took many more pictures, I may post more later.

Thanks! Were from Houston so were possible looking at a (cheaper than the Magic) cruise on the Triumph.

I have a question, did you see alot of shady people in Cozumel/how safe did you feel? My Mother is a bit hesitant to go because of this.

A few weeks before this cruise some good friends of ours decided to join us on this voyage.

Jen and I would be celebrating our 13th anniversary on April 17th, so we intended this to be a nice relaxing romantic getaway for just the 2 of us, but we didn’t mind a little company.

The other couple accompanying us were experienced cruisers having cruised once before on an RCCL ship some 6+ years ago. This would be their first Carnival experience.

We left home for the 45 minute drive to Galveston at about 8:30 am on Saturday the 14th.

We arrived at the terminal before 10 and were on board by 11.

Jen and I had L-shaped extended balcony room #6432, which is on the port side of the ship all the way aft. This is the room directly in front of the aft-wrap. This room is shaped differently than the typical cabin and the balcony is twice the length of the typical balcony. It was a very nice room and location.

The ship itself is in excellent condition, very clean and easy to navigate. The entire crew is extremely friendly and hard working. I never met one unpleasant or unhelpful crew member.

The food is excellent, I never went hungry and even though I am a fairly picky eater, I was always having a difficult time trying to pick just one thing to eat. Everything I ordered was delicious.

We ate in the MDR for dinner every night, we had a very nice table for 2 (it was actually a booth for 4 which we had to ourselves) which was on the second level of the Paris dining room, overlooking the lower level.

Being that we were celebrating our 13th anniversary while on the cruise, I had previously contacted John Heald asking if he could help with getting a table for 2.

On the first day we were surprised to find a plate of chocolate covered strawberries and a ship trophy delivered to our stateroom with a note stating that they were compliments of John Heald and Tex the cruise director to help ‘enhance our experience’, which was a very nice and unexpected touch.

Also on the first night at dinner the Maitre D stopped by our table and mentioned that he hoped we enjoyed the premium dining location, and that he hoped we “wouldn’t tell Mr. John about him sitting us at a table for 4, since it was just the two of us.”

I shook his hand and thoroughly thanked him, he was extremely nice and personable.

Progreso Mexico

This was our second time to Progreso.

I wasn’t that impressed the first time, but I decided to give it another chance this time around.

After this visit, I personally don’t care to go back.

Don’t get me wrong, I think the town itself has a unique charming quality to it. But it has its issues that basically ruin the overall experience of the place.

We took the double-decker bus tour around town, which is a nice way to get an idea of where everything is in the city.

After the tour we walked down and sat on the beach in front of Buddy’s under a palapa. We ordered margaritas and nachos.

Soon after we took our seat here they came, the vendors.

Now, I fully expected this, I knew this was a poor part of the world and I’m used to dealing with natives selling their wares. But it was to a point that it was ridiculous.

One person would stop by the table with Cuban cigars, and after a couple of ‘no thank yous’ he/she would move down to the next table.

Then, a few short seconds later, someone with bracelets, and another no thank you or 2 and they would walk off.

20 seconds later, kids selling sea shells. No thank you.

10 seconds later, an old lady wanting to braid my wife’s hair. No thank you.

15 second later, an old man with a guitar just pulls up a chair at the end of the table and starts playing a song. After the song is finished he just sits there and stares at us and won’t leave until we give him some money.

Once he leaves, a different person with cigars. No thank you.

Not a full minute later, a guy selling hand carved ash trays. No thank you.

Then, as soon as he leaves a man in his 20’s, all of 400+ pounds walks up and says “I live on the streets” My friend answers with “I’m sorry to hear that.”

He then stands there and stared for an extended length of awkwardness.

Then the man says “Can I have a dollar?”

We just answer with a polite No.

He then says “I’m very hungry.”

This is when we all look up at him, my friend looks him up and down and says “You are hungry!?”

The man shakes his head and asks for a dollar again.

At this point we are forced to quit being polite and have to tell him to go away.

As soon as he leaves a woman offers us her massage services. No thank you.

A few more seconds pass before the next one brings us more ashtrays. No thank you.

Less than a minute later and more bracelets show up at our table.

At this point we decide we have had enough and walk back to the bus to take us back to the ship.

All we wanted to do was sit by the beach and enjoy a few drinks and some good conversation with our friends, but that is impossible while being bombarded with peddlers and beggars. We managed to down one small margarita each and a plate of nachos split between the 4 of us before we left. The food was edible, nothing special. The margaritas were nothing special as well, small but reasonably priced and tasted just like margaritas anywhere else.

Cozumel Mexico

This was our fourth time to visit Cozumel, and I believe I will never get tired of visiting this beautiful island.

This time around we took the Cozumel Bar Hop Bus. http://www.cozumelbarhop.com

This tour takes you on a nice air conditioned tour bus to the east side of the island, which is undeveloped for the most part, save for the few bars that dot the coast.

The water and the beaches on the east side of the island is something everyone should see at least once. The water is crystal clear/turquoise with huge crashing waves. Large chunks of coral line the beaches accompanied with the course white sand that surrounds Cozumel. The white sand is just finely ground coral.

The ocean along the entire east side of the island crashes ashore with large pipeline waves, I can image it would be excellent surfing, if you were a surfer, which I am not.

Our first stop was Coconuts, which is perched on the highest point on the island, 42 feet or so above sea level. The bar is under a large thatch roof with amazing views overlooking the beautiful water of the Caribbean.

The drinks there are strong and tasty, I had a blue margarita and Jen had a Pina Colada.

Coconuts was a perfect start to an amazing day.

Next stop was Punta Morena, a very nice bar/grill powered by a wind mill (There is no electricity on this side of the island) Punta Morena has a beautiful beach with a great swimming area in a small lagoon area behind a large chunk of coral providing protection from the crashing waves and currents.

We spent all of our time here exploring the beach and didn’t even order a drink.

Next was Playa Bonita, a very cool, relaxed bar/grill with amazing views and, again, good strong drinks and great food.

We sat at a table with breathtaking views of the sea and surrounding shoreline. We were promptly waited on, we ordered quesadillas, the waiter suggested we try their large margarita for 2, so we went with his recommendation.

When he brought out the drink, we were a little surprised to see a margarita in a glass large enough to swim in. It was quite a task to finish this drink, but in the end, we reigned victorious over the large empty glass.

The quesadillas were as good as the drink as well.

Another successful bar-hop down and on to the next.

Last we were driven to Rasta’s on the southern end of the island.

Here we enjoyed the pristine beaches and scenery, we already had our fill of alcohol from the previous stops so we didn’t have any more drinks other than the free shot that came with the price of the bar hop.

We spent about 45 minutes at each stop and were dropped off at the cruise ship pier with about 30 minutes to spare.

Overall this was an amazing excursion, one I wouldn’t hesitate to repeat.

The tour guides are extremely friendly and informative, the whole operation was first class and we just had a blast, plain and simple.

This night at dinner the waiters surprised us with a piece of cake with a candle in it and sang happy anniversary to us.

I could not have hoped for a better anniversary day.

For the last sea day we finally got out and explored the ship. I’m sure some people will find faults with the Triumph, but I was very happy with her. Sure the TV’s in the cabins are old, but I wasn’t there to watch TV. The Triumph is 13 years old now and is what you would expect of a ship that age. At any given time walking around the ship you will find workers diligently cleaning.

This cruise was mostly intended for us to just relax, and that is just what we did. We spent a lot of time on our extended balcony lounging around watching the ocean go by.

We spent almost no time at all on Lido, except to pass through or grab something quick to eat.

Anyways, to sum it all up, we had a great time and would do it again without a second thought. The Triumph is a great ship with an excellent crew. I have no complaints.

Now for some pictures.

Our Stateroom – Cabin 6432

Random shots around the ship

Thank you so much for all this information. We just booked this trip last week and we leave May 7th, I was wondering if Progresso was that way recently, I have seen other comments to this same encounter from other posters. It is a shame for the establishments there that individuals are allowed to do this over and over runs business away for the people with overhead. Did you walk around the town much after the tour? Or did you see a store to buy cokes and beer?

Thanks! Were from Houston so were possible looking at a (cheaper than the Magic) cruise on the Triumph.

I have a question, did you see alot of shady people in Cozumel/how safe did you feel? My Mother is a bit hesitant to go because of this.

Cozumel is very safe, period.

The people there are proud of their island and don't put up with crime.

Did you walk around the town much after the tour? Or did you see a store to buy cokes and beer?

We did a little walking, there are plenty of places to shop. Lots of markets, shops, grocery stores, etc. All of the peddlers and beggars seemed to be on or near the beach.

We did a little walking, there are plenty of places to shop. Lots of markets, shops, grocery stores, etc. All of the peddlers and beggars seemed to be on or near the beach.

Thanks so much sounds like double decker bus a little walking in town and stay close to Buddy's for a quick cheap beer or two and back on the ship for us this trip!!

Thanks so much sounds like double decker bus a little walking in town and stay close to Buddy's for a quick cheap beer or two and back on the ship for us this trip!!

You're welcome.

In front of Buddy's is where we sat in Progreso, that seemed to be where most of the undesirables were.

If anyone wants to hang out on the beach then save it for Cozumel.

You're welcome.

In front of Buddy's is where we sat in Progreso, that seemed to be where most of the undesirables were.

If anyone wants to hang out on the beach then save it for Cozumel.

We wont be hanging out DH will get his photos and we will walk and have a beer or two while he does that and head back. It's not a matter of sake for us not there, I just dont feel like a day of the hassling I don't like to ne rude I know these people need money but I am not much of a shopper and don't go on vacation to shop. We go to relax and unwind and enjoy each others company and if we can do that peaceful we are always very glad to spend our dollars making sure the kind folks of Mexico know how much we appreciate it. However I don't need it crammed down my throat a couple of np thank yous and they should move out for us and watch for new people ....period.

JMHO cuz would make the town alot more money if people wanted to stay close and not use it as a jumping off point to other places.

I live less than two miles from bridges that cross into Mexico, and we NEVER go across. It is crazy and sad what is happening there right now. BUT, I am going to Cozumel for the third or fourth time next month, on the Triumph, and have absolutely no reservations about it. There is no comparison of Cozumel and what is happening in the rest of Mexico.

You of course have to be aware of your surroundings, just like you should be anywhere you are these days, but I have never been afraid to visit Coz, it is one of my favorite places to go. I am originally from Houston, and there are a lot more areas there that I would think twice about going to than I would Cozumel.

That line to get back onto the ship was insane! Is it always like that in Cozumel? We were up on our balcony watching, and it extended down the pier still at the designated sale away time. The "all onboard time" it was nearly to the port duty-free shop!

The line was way long, but it moved fairly quickly.

We usually get back on the ship with plenty of time to spare and the line is usually short, this time the tour dropped us off at 3:30 or so, we were supposed to be back on board by 4.

Can someone please tell me how to e-mail John Heald regarding letting them know about someone that is on their honeymoon... My sister is going to be on triumph the week of June 18th.

• 10 months later...

I realize this is an old thread, but my husband and I booked this very same room tonight! I Googled and found several reviews on it today...it's only our 2nd cruise and the first was in 2006...so wanted to get the best one in the way of privacy, affordability, and good location....this review, along with actual pics of the cabin, had us decide to book it! Can't wait!! Thanks again. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived