Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Confessions of a chair hog..

We are not bad people.. Sometimes we just don't know any better.. My first cruise in 2004 or 2005 I went with my parents.. Didn't do much pool sitting that cruise. Never did much chair hogging on the next few cruises as there was always a bunch of us and you could always find a seat at a table somewhere where part of the party was already sitting.

But in 2009 I cruised with just me and my Mom.. This was before her knee replacement. I spent a lot of time alone as she couldn't get around much. But I found myself in a pattern. I'd get up early and have breakfast at the buffett (alone) and bring her back cereal and fruit. I'd then head to the pool deck. I'd find a nice spot part shade, part sun, near the smoking tables. Then I'd rearrange the deck chairs to replace a lounger with a regular table chair and RESERVE that for her. I'd stay in my chair reading and swimming.. enjoying my day (alone). Eventually my mom would join me and enjoy her reserved upright chair for a few hours. I thought it was ok because she could never have gotten up and down to a regular lounge chair.

I was a chair hog again in 2010 on the Legend. Get up early and pick my spot on deck. I wouldn't leave them empty all day but come back and forth as we pleased.

But then I found CC. I learned how it was not cool to claim a deck chair and leave it empty while you did other things. So I reformed on my cruise spring of 2011. Didn't reserve a chair the entire 10 days. But also never got to sit on deck with my mom. She had her knee and hip replacement by then and could get up and down, but there was never a chair to be found.

So I relapsed in the fall of 2011 when I cruised with both my parents again (and my sister, nephew and sister's BFF). Got up early first sea day and reserved 6 chairs. Me, sis, nephew and BFF sat in four of them, spread out to keep space for Mom and Dad. We sat there most of the day. We did give up nephew's chair when someone who could not have navigated the stadium seating tiers was looking for a seat. And then Dad's when he had enough of the sun. But I have to say the day was priceless and I do not regret my crimes! My dad has days left to live. He hallucinates at times. And more than once has talked as if he was still on that cruise.

I do know now it is not acceptable to drop your stuff and reserve a chair to come back to later. I also realize it is not polite to save a chair for someone who may show up later. And I vow going forward the only thing I will use to save a seat is my growing behind!!

But I'm glad I learned this later.
Carnival Sensation 2006
NCL Pearl 2007
Emerald Princess 2009
Carnival Legend 2010
Star Princess 3/2011
Carnival Destiny 11/2011
Emerald Princess 11/17/2012
Royal Princess 10/29/2013
Royal Princess 11/3/2013

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

I love your Dad, bless his heart.
I don't think you did wrong, as you were there most of the time, and let someone else have a lounger when they needed it.
Melanie

CountdownClockCodes.com

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:40 PM
Cool Cruiser (for over 10 yrs)

Wish I had a popcorn Icon.

Just popped a bag.
Triumph (Again!) May 2004 - Western (Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios)
Legend - November 2005 - Southern (St. Maartin, Barbados, Martinique)
Victory - May 2007 - Eastern (San Juan, St. Maartin, St. Thomas)
Liberty - February 2008 - Exotic Western ( Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama)
Inspiration - August 2008 - Western ( Grand Cayman, Cozumel)
Pride - April 2009 - Eastern (San Juan, St Thomas, St Martin)
Triumph - August 2009 - PLATINUM!! Canada
GLORY - August 2010 - Canada again!
Dream - August 2011 - Western (Cozumel, Isla Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya)
Liberty - November 2012 - Eastern (Half Moon Cay, San Juan, Grand Turk)
Splendor - JULY 2013 - Eastern from NYC (San Juan, St. Thomas and Grand Turk)
MAGIC - April 2014 - Western from Galveston (Roatan, Belize, Cozumel)

Review of 2012 Liberty Cruise http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1757587
Review of 2011 Dream Cruise.... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ghlight=catrin
Review of 2013 Splendor Cruise..http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1894153
Review of 2014 Magic Cruise..http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2037569

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Now that I look at the pictures I don't think we were too bad..

Early

enjoying out seats.. But in this picture most of the other chairs are still empty. So Mom and Dad were on deck pretty early too!

Carnival Sensation 2006
NCL Pearl 2007
Emerald Princess 2009
Carnival Legend 2010
Star Princess 3/2011
Carnival Destiny 11/2011
Emerald Princess 11/17/2012
Royal Princess 10/29/2013
Royal Princess 11/3/2013

Old April 24th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMM34667 View Post
We are not bad people.. Sometimes we just don't know any better.. My first cruise in 2004 or 2005 I went with my parents.. Didn't do much pool sitting that cruise. Never did much chair hogging on the next few cruises as there was always a bunch of us and you could always find a seat at a table somewhere where part of the party was already sitting.

But in 2009 I cruised with just me and my Mom.. This was before her knee replacement. I spent a lot of time alone as she couldn't get around much. But I found myself in a pattern. I'd get up early and have breakfast at the buffett (alone) and bring her back cereal and fruit. I'd then head to the pool deck. I'd find a nice spot part shade, part sun, near the smoking tables. Then I'd rearrange the deck chairs to replace a lounger with a regular table chair and RESERVE that for her. I'd stay in my chair reading and swimming.. enjoying my day (alone). Eventually my mom would join me and enjoy her reserved upright chair for a few hours. I thought it was ok because she could never have gotten up and down to a regular lounge chair.

I was a chair hog again in 2010 on the Legend. Get up early and pick my spot on deck. I wouldn't leave them empty all day but come back and forth as we pleased.

But then I found CC. I learned how it was not cool to claim a deck chair and leave it empty while you did other things. So I reformed on my cruise spring of 2011. Didn't reserve a chair the entire 10 days. But also never got to sit on deck with my mom. She had her knee and hip replacement by then and could get up and down, but there was never a chair to be found.

So I relapsed in the fall of 2011 when I cruised with both my parents again (and my sister, nephew and sister's BFF). Got up early first sea day and reserved 6 chairs. Me, sis, nephew and BFF sat in four of them, spread out to keep space for Mom and Dad. We sat there most of the day. We did give up nephew's chair when someone who could not have navigated the stadium seating tiers was looking for a seat. And then Dad's when he had enough of the sun. But I have to say the day was priceless and I do not regret my crimes! My dad has days left to live. He hallucinates at times. And more than once has talked as if he was still on that cruise.

I do know now it is not acceptable to drop your stuff and reserve a chair to come back to later. I also realize it is not polite to save a chair for someone who may show up later. And I vow going forward the only thing I will use to save a seat is my growing behind!!

But I'm glad I learned this later.
Me thinks this post should have started like this......
Hello! My name is Fred and I have a problem! (all together now- Hi Fred!!!)