Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Fashions & Beauty

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Fashions & Beauty
Deck yourself out for your next cruise! What clothes should you bring, and what should stay at home. Offer up packing tips, and savvy shopping info, too

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Wink Sell Me on Trying a Pro Mani Pedi

I've always done my own (natural) nails but found by day 2 or 3 of a water laden cruise, they are chipping and peeling. I do use OPI products with base and top coat and 2 coats of polish.

On a whim last cruise I tried the walmart nail salon2 days before I left. It chipped even sooner.

My friends who are mani-pedi girls get them done in their hair salons or at places downtown, far drive from my house. The owner of salon does my hair but she admits they don't specialize in nails and she goes somewhere else to get her's done, but won't divulge where lol.

Guess I could arbitrarily pick one of the several nail salons in the local mall for upcoming trip but thought I'd post here for helpful hints. One issue is I need to pick my youngest DS up from college dorm on Thursday and there will be lots of hauling stuff, guess I should wait until friday afternoon but we do leave for airport hotel that night.

These Ships Have Sailed
DCL - Dream 1/14 & 7/11, Wonder 10/08 & 12/05
CCL - Sunshine 5/14, Victory 5/12, Destiny, it's a wrap, aft! 6/10, Legend 12/07
RCCL - IOS 1/13
NCL - Star 6/09
, watch out where the huskies go...

Old April 25th, 2012, 11:37 AM
10,000+ Club

Have you considered trying a shellac manicure? That may last a lot longer, and you could get it done a bit in advance, especially if you will be moving things right before the cruise. Personally, I avoid those little nail salons that seem to be on every street corner. If you can't get a recommendation from someone, try using google to find a salon that has experience with shellac manicures. Good luck.

Old April 25th, 2012, 12:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

I know they are doing a gel overcoat on nails now that lasts along time, you need polish remover to get it off. I do have acrylic nails but did have the gel overcoat put on once and it had a wonderful shine to it and it lasted about three wks. I just have polish on my toes but usually have them done a few days before we leave on a cruise and they last till a wk or so after we get back. I know some folks swear by the larger salon type nail places but truth be told I have never been able to tell the difference between a $30 pedi and a $70 one. I know you need to be sure you are going somewhere that cleans their instruments correctly and their tub so you don't get an infection but other then that the results are all about the same IMHO. Of course I live in a larger city and have lots of choices, but have gone to the same small salon for yrs with no problems.

Old April 25th, 2012, 12:58 PM
50,000+ Club

My toes stay good for much longer than my fingernails. I do my own, and bring my polish and remover and just redo my fingers as needed. Doesn't take too long! I use Maybelline's Express Finish....it's a quick dry, and goes on nice and smooth and dries fast! I also bring the same in a top-coat...that does protect!

I don't like anyone messing with my nails....the one time I did a professional mani/pedi, I cut, filed and shaped my own nails...all they did was polish!

Old April 25th, 2012, 01:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Professional vs Home
Pro
I love the relaxing experience of having someone else do my nails
A big choice of colors and if you are into trendy looks they can do that kind of stuff
I never do my own pedi so if I want one I rely on the professionals to do that for sure
Home
You know best how your nails look and you can get them to look exactly as you wish
You will already have the same polish to repair a chip or problem
It saves money if you don't have to buy anything extra.
So if you want to relax an let someone else do your nails spend the $$ if you are that pressed for time etc then diy!

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 25th, 2012, 02:39 PM
10,000+ Club

Sadly, one negative thing about a professional pedicure is the possibility of cross-contamination concerning the utensils that are used. I am absolutely certain I picked up a fungus from having my toes done in a salon. The salon itself was new, clean, and I loved my technician - but, things are only as clean as the instruments. You can google some nasty details online if you really want to scare yourself but for now, I've said no to salons.

I do my own pedicures following the steps I saw my techician use: clip, file and shape not too rounded at the corners, file and buff calluses, lotions, base coat, two coats polish, top coat, maintenance. I use OPI products like she did and the results, although not as relaxing are satisfactory.

Up next:

RCI - Serenade of the Seas 2015 - a planned family vacation if son is not in medical school this year

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

RCI - Explorer of the Seas Nov 2014 Repo/S. Caribbean - 40 ft. rogue wave, lifeboat damage
Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Old April 25th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

I can do my own mani-pedi yes. But I like going its my relaxing treat. I've been going to same place for 18 years. My manicure gets screwed up somehow. My pedi always seems to last longer. then again I'll get tired of the color on my hands and change it a week later. I always bring my own color to salon so I can touch it up , if I mess it up(which I do) when I'm on vacay land or cruise.
Its totally up to you which route to go

Embrace your inner magpie!

Old April 25th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

i've seen recent ads for the gel manicures. have read some kinda creepy stuff re 'dirty' instruments though, will do a google search & see what pops up thanks

These Ships Have Sailed
CCL - Sunshine 5/14, Victory 5/12, Destiny, it's a wrap, aft! 6/10, Legend 12/07
RCCL - IOS 1/13
NCL - Star 6/09

Old April 25th, 2012, 05:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

I usually do my own pedi's but for special events and trips I go pro. I think it's better because they do perfect, super thin, even coats that last forever without chipping or peeling. They also can do French with their eyes closed. The same cannot be said for me although I get it right most of the time. Oh... and they scrub and moisturize waaaaayyyy better than I do at home.

Almost forgot... this does not apply to all salons. I've had bad and good. I found a salon that's outstanding but a little far and on the pricey side. Since I always get a good result it's worth it to me. That's the real trick. Nothing sucks more than spending an hour or more of your day plus your hard earned cash for a pedi that looks and lasts as long like a home job.

Last edited by LESLIEKURZ; April 25th, 2012 at 05:22 PM.

Old April 25th, 2012, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley Cruisers View Post
Sadly, one negative thing about a professional pedicure is the possibility of cross-contamination concerning the utensils that are used. I am absolutely certain I picked up a fungus from having my toes done in a salon. The salon itself was new, clean, and I loved my technician - but, things are only as clean as the instruments. You can google some nasty details online if you really want to scare yourself but for now, I've said no to salons.

I do my own pedicures following the steps I saw my techician use: clip, file and shape not too rounded at the corners, file and buff calluses, lotions, base coat, two coats polish, top coat, maintenance. I use OPI products like she did and the results, although not as relaxing are satisfactory.

I don't get them done often but my DD and I found a place a block from where we live and they give you your own set of tools (files and things they do not santize) So I don't worry to much about it. Never had a bad experience there. Although have had bad experiences in the past at another place close by and we never went back!

Old April 25th, 2012, 06:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langley Cruisers View Post

I didn't get fungi, but I got ingrown toenails both times because they clipped the sides of my toenails, and they trimmed both of our cuticles to the point of bleeding at the second one. I'm pretty much over it at this point (these were different salons).

I do prefer China Glaze to OPI, but I can't explain exactly why. I think a lot of it is that I like their colors better.

One thing I have noticed- they slop on the polish. I'm pretty sure the beauty magazine "multiple thin coats are better" thing is BS, because when you do two thick coats, it really does look better and last longer. It takes longer to dry, but the result is worth it.

Old April 25th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am completely inept when it comes to doing my own mani-pedis. I far prefer having them done at a salon. They are a rare treat for me. I have very thin nails that break easily. I usually clip them to the quick once a week and leave them naked, but I am trying to get my nails to grow for the cruise so I have been investing in shellac manis this month.

The first one barely lasted 5 days before they began cracking and peeling. I talked to a few friends and did some research and then went to a salon a friend recommended. The second salon was absolutely meticulous about making sure the shellac was applied and dried properly (as opposed to on my cuticles, which the first salon did, which is why they peeled) and they are beautiful and glossy a week later, and I have not been sparing them the abuse.

Definitely going back. Also, I love spa pedis.

Connor and Jeannie (Go Eagles, Flyers, Sixers, Wings, and Union!)

Old April 25th, 2012, 10:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

This is from a woman of a certain age who has not seen her feet in a few years and who somehow has arms that have shorten so the clipper does not reach. And the eyes need telescopes to bring the 10 little things into the focus Pedicures are a necessity and I am sticking to that story

Ask your friends who they use. Ask your foot doctor -- they don't like cleaning up pedicure disasters. Pay attention to others with great manicures (or in sandles the toes!) and ask them where they got them done. Find a good technician and treat them royally. Be loyal and keep your feet in good shape -- it is excellent for your health, your mood and happy feet are the best preparation I can think of for a happy vacation. Really a pedicure is serious because a bad one can harm your feet!

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am terrible at doing it myself. But when I go, i bring my own tools. I don't trust their sanitizers, and there are things they can't sanitize. I did buy professional quality tools though, and I've had several manicurists comment that they are better than their own tools. This way, I'm the only one using it, and I know how clean t hey are. Nobody has given me a hard time about it, and I've inspired several others to do the same. You can also use your own color so you'll have it for touch ups.

Old April 26th, 2012, 02:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

take your own tools (or go to a salon that supplies new ones to you for a fee). I insist that my cuticles aren't cut. You can push them back with an orange stick, but no cutting!

Old April 26th, 2012, 10:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie MeMe View Post
This is from a woman of a certain age who has not seen her feet in a few years and who somehow has arms that have shorten so the clipper does not reach. And the eyes need telescopes to bring the 10 little things into the focus Pedicures are a necessity and I am sticking to that story

Ask your friends who they use. Ask your foot doctor -- they don't like cleaning up pedicure disasters. Pay attention to others with great manicures (or in sandles the toes!) and ask them where they got them done. Find a good technician and treat them royally. Be loyal and keep your feet in good shape -- it is excellent for your health, your mood and happy feet are the best preparation I can think of for a happy vacation. Really a pedicure is serious because a bad one can harm your feet!
love your sense of humor! Today I made an appt to visit the podiatrist in a week for another cortisone shot in my one heel that gives me trouble. It helps with all the walking on vacation. I brought up subject of pedicures to receptionist and she suggested that I skip it and only get a pro manicure this trip. She said they get several new patients every month from those who get a first/infrequent pedicure shortly before leaving on vacation and come back with lots of blisters or worse because they've lost the protective layer of callaouses they're used to having. They suggest patients ease into it with a pedicure a month beforehand then another right beforehand. Guess i'll be using my ped egg lol and painting my own toe nails.

These Ships Have Sailed
RCCL - IOS 1/13
NCL - Star 6/09

Old April 26th, 2012, 10:43 PM
20,000+ Club

The reason I go to a pro is that when I paint my own nails I can somehow get polish on my elbows. I've cut my toenails too short too often, my manicurist does a great job every time. My pedi lasts 4 weeks no matter what and I have them done every 4 weeks.

It's a simple pleasure I indulge in and I think it's worth it.

I have a hard time understanding why a manicurist would spread infection, unless they are unlicensed, or simply lazy. The training in manicure school is strictly for consumer safety, the skill with the actual mani/pedi is learned after the basics.

My manicurist uses a fresh, disposable bowl liner for everyone, a new file every time, her tools are all sanitized. Having worked in the hair industry for years and owning a salon where I employed a manicurist I am well aware what needs to be done.

Old April 26th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy ks View Post
The reason I go to a pro...

It's a simple pleasure I indulge in and I think it's worth it.
Sums it up for me too. And while cruising I like to have my nails done for formal night, so I take my own polish.

Old April 27th, 2012, 08:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

I love a pedicure. Relaxing and I can never get my toes shaped as well as they can. i do my own gell nails and when I was getting my last pedicure i recieved many compliments on my nails.
Conquest - Jan 29, 2006
Rhapsody - 2005
Rhapsody - 2003
Splendour - 1999

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Sell you on a pro mani-pedi?!?! They rub your feet! 'Nuff said! :-D