Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old April 30th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the extra link for more info. I am reading everything I can. According to my parents I have been to NOLA but it was when I was pretty little so I don't even remember it. We are looking forward to going. We want reasonable pricing for lodging and as I said we do not have to be right in the thick of things.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 30th, 2012, 04:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly333 View Post
The service was very new orleans, and friendly. The huge platter of bacon was perfectly cooked, with scrambled eggs and grits and fruit and sausage gravy and bisquits (no waffles like chains do these days). But they are not the one in new orleans, they are in westbank.

the shuttle driver was friendly and asked me to put a review up for their hotel on trip advisor and I will, but I did jewel and just got home monday from jewel. did 3 cruises in 3 weeks so just catching up.

I had trouble getting online and the front desk changed my room which is more than the 3 star hyatt place in tampa did when I had live bugs. The service was good.

Its rather black in that area, which might bother some. Its right on the access road when you get off the mississippi bridge. Lots of fast food to get something to eat for dinner.

some would say holiday Inn superdome is iffy too for neighborhood with that almost vacant block next to it.
Great info firefly!!! Thanks

Past Cruises

Carnival Conquest -July 2012
Carnival Elation -November 2012
Carnival Magic -March 2013
Carnival Conquest -November 2013

Old April 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanDreams View Post
We will be cruising in August and I'm trying to learn as much as I can about the Conquest and New Orleans before we sail.

Here is a link to a great review of New Orleans -http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1615754 (you can also find it on the Gulf Coast Departures)

Oh no! We love the AFT cabins.....and the higher the better. The good thing is that we are night owls so hopefully the singing will be over by the time we get back to our cabins.

OceanDreams
Oceandreams - which cruise in Augus? - we're going on the 19th.

Old April 30th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_k63 View Post
Oceandreams - which cruise in Augus? - we're going on the 19th.
I really want to cruise on the 19th .... but my niece is getting married on the 25th and if I miss it she will be so upset..... and she is part of that side of the family that I like......hahahaha. Which means we will be sailing probable on the 12th.

OceanDreams

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Are there any secret decks - viewing areas on the ship?

OceanDreams

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

[/quote]Oh no! We love the AFT cabins.....and the higher the better. The good thing is that we are night owls so hopefully the singing will be over by the time we get back to our cabins.

OceanDreams[/quote]

We are too but it started while getting ready for late seating dining and didn't quit until about 1 am. If you are on Empress or higher shouldn't be a problem. Karaoke is held in the aft lounge on Promenade so on Upper we were right above it.

Carnival Ecstacy 12/08 Mexico
Carnival Conquest 12/09 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Ecstacy 03/11 Mexico
Carnival Conquest 11/11 Western Caribbean
HAL Westerdam 05/12 Glacier Bay Alaska
Carnival Magic 10/13 Western Caribbean

Last edited by jimmysgrl; May 1st, 2012 at 09:43 AM. Reason: edit

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were on her in March. Anytime dining went really smoothly for 7 of us. We never had to wait. The staff was great too. We really liked the fish and chips station on the Lido area-upstairs for lunch. There was major confusion and a mob trying to get off at the same time in Cozumel. We were close to missing our CCL sponcered tour. Overall we had a great time.

Old May 1st, 2012, 12:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Although I never utilized it, I did see the workout room on a tour and it was wonderful!

Old May 1st, 2012, 12:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are too but it started while getting ready for late seating dining and didn't quit until about 1 am. If you are on Empress or higher shouldn't be a problem. Karaoke is held in the aft lounge on Promenade so on Upper we were right above it. [/quote]

Great to know. We are looking at the Verandah deck and originally worried about the noise coming from the Lido deck and the noice coming from above us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lillian marie View Post
We were on her in March. Anytime dining went really smoothly for 7 of us. We never had to wait. The staff was great too. We really liked the fish and chips station on the Lido area-upstairs for lunch. There was major confusion and a mob trying to get off at the same time in Cozumel. We were close to missing our CCL sponcered tour. Overall we had a great time.
Did you find that the fish and chips station was crowded? Good to know about Cozumel.

OceanDreams

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
How long does it take to travel down the Mississippi river? It appears that there is 3 exits into the Gulf of Mexico .... Does anyone know which the ship takes?
It takes 6 to 8 hours depending on traffic and current and as for the path, if you look at your picture, the longer path that veers to the west next to west bay is the route the ships take.
June 2003 Carnival Conquest
July 2011 Carnival Triumph
April 2012 Carnival Elation
July 2012 Carnival Conquest
November 2013 Carnival Sunshine
June 2014 Carnival Dream

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregg204 View Post
It takes 6 to 8 hours depending on traffic and current and as for the path, if you look at your picture, the longer path that veers to the west next to west bay is the route the ships take.
Thanks Gregg for your answer.... Is there anything to see along this path. I realize that it is a shipping route and if the ship leaves between 4pm and 5pm, and as it gets darker in the evening you really won't be seeing much but twinkling lights. It looks kind of cool going down the Mississippi River into the Gulf of Mexico.

OceanDreams

Old May 1st, 2012, 03:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

All ships go through Southwest Pass. The Corps Of Engineers keeps it dredged to about 40 feet.

Old May 1st, 2012, 04:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks Gregg for your answer.... Is there anything to see along this path. I realize that it is a shipping route and if the ship leaves between 4pm and 5pm, and as it gets darker in the evening you really won't be seeing much but twinkling lights. It looks kind of cool going down the Mississippi River into the Gulf of Mexico.

OceanDreams
Being from New Orleans and never before going down the river to the gulf, my husband found it facinating! One of the highlights of the week! He was on the balcony until the sun went down and then back watching the lights off the oil rigs. I found it facinating with all the twists and turns. Sometimes it looked like we were just going in circles!

Old May 2nd, 2012, 12:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmpuma View Post
All ships go through Southwest Pass. The Corps Of Engineers keeps it dredged to about 40 feet.
Awesome .... I feel better now. While I was looking at the Google Earth layout I was thinking the other paths look pretty shallow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my3boysmom View Post
Being from New Orleans and never before going down the river to the gulf, my husband found it facinating! One of the highlights of the week! He was on the balcony until the sun went down and then back watching the lights off the oil rigs. I found it facinating with all the twists and turns. Sometimes it looked like we were just going in circles!
I have cruised a couple of times out of Galveston....but never out of New Orleans. I getting excited about the possible feeling of being on a River Boat cruise.....but of course a much bigger ship.

Everyone here has been great with the information.....please keep it coming.

OceanDreams

Old May 3rd, 2012, 11:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Please feel free to ask if you have any questions!

Although I never utilized it, I did see the workout room on a tour and it was wonderful!
So you remember what you can use in the fitness area without charges and what you have to pay for?

OceanDreams

Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think the only things they charge for were lesssons, personal training/consulting, spa services (massage type stuff). Wish I had a picture. There was a lot of equipment!

Old May 3rd, 2012, 12:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I think the only things they charge for were lesssons, personal training/consulting, spa services (massage type stuff). Wish I had a picture. There was a lot of equipment!
Can you use the Sauna and Steam Room for free or are they included in the Spa prices?

OceanDreams

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

free

Old May 3rd, 2012, 08:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
free
Woo Hoo ..... that is great news.

How are the shows?

OceanDreams

Old May 3rd, 2012, 09:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Here is how we enjoyed the trip dowm the Mississippi on our first day. I ordered an basket of wine and fruit from Bon Voyage... In it there was an small ice bucket to chill the wine, also cheeze, crackets and fruit. About 8 pm after dinner we sat on the aft wrap and watched the river pass by. What a night........If you ever want to enjoy the trip down the river book an aft wrap. It is worth it..... I would do it again I was a hit all cruise with my lady.

Carnival Miracle 2006 Carnival Legend 2006

Carnival Holiday 2007 Carnival Holiday 2007 Carnival Fantasy 2007 Carnival Miracle 2007

Carnival Holiday 2008 Carnival Celebration 2008 Carnival Fantasy 2008 Carnival Splendor 2008

Carnival Glory 2009 Carnival Dream 2009

Carnival Fantasy 2010 Carnival Triumph 2010
Carnival Elation 2010 Carnival Dream 2010

Carnival Triumph 2011 NCL Spirit 2011
Carnival Miracle 2011

Carnival Conquest 2012 Carnival Magic 2012
NCL Epic 2012

Carnival Conquest 2013