How much cash to take?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Ask a Cruise Question
Post your general cruise questions here.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:17 PM.
phoenix
56 Posts
Joined May 2009
We are taking a Baltic Cruise July 2012 and staying in Paris 5 days prior to cruise and Amsterdam 2 days post cruise. We plan to use our credit card whenever possible, but we will need to take cash too, but are uncertain about how much. We will be away from home 21 days. Any ideas from past cruisers would be much appreciated!
Los Angeles
7,896 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
I did 21 days on a Med cruise. Similar to you, 1 day pre-cruise in Paris + 3 days pre-cruise in Rome, 12 day cruise, 3 days post-cruise in Venice + 2 days post-cruise in Paris. We took $1500 cash. Put a lot on the credit card and used every bit of the cash too.

The Baltic countries are very expensive, I think I'd play it safe with $2000, but that's just me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Eleanor
Oklahoma City, OK
11,297 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
Check with your credit card company and find out if they charge a currency converson rate - that may be a shocker if you aren't aware of it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carmen

Celebrity Galaxy 11/04
Grand Princess 2/06
Carnival Conquest 10/06
Celebrity Mercury to Alaska 9/07 very cool - literally!
Vegas, baby! 11/08
NCL Spirit 1/09, where everybody knew my name (which was strange and a little fun at the same time)
NCL Pearl 3/10
HAL Oosterdam 5/2011, back to Alaska we went!
RCCL Mariner OTS 3/2012 - another 1st!
NCL Star 12/2012 - more firsts!
NCL Jewel 12/2013 - Christmas on the water
NCL Jewel 11/2014 - and a few more firsts!
NCL Sun 5/2015 - North to Alaska, this time into Denali!
NCL Dawn 11/2015
NCL Dawn 11/2016. I'm really getting used to not cooking on Thanksgiving!
NCL Pearl 11/2017

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.
Southern California by way of Kentucky
19,428 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
As a backup to everything else I also take some Travelers Checks..just in case..I know I can cash them onboard if I need to..But I usually just end up bringing them back home...
GTA, Ontario, Canada
34,283 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by GORDONCHICK
Check with your credit card company and find out if they charge a currency converson rate - that may be a shocker if you aren't aware of it.
I would think they all charge a conversion fee but you probably are thinking of the Foreign transaction fee which is a different thing altogether
phoenix
56 Posts
Joined May 2009
I was under the impression that Traveler's Checks weren't widely accepted and not really recommended. Does Celebrity accept traveler's checks?
Missouri
802 Posts
Joined May 2008
Don't forget also to let your credit card company know you are going out of the country so they don't see those foreign charges and think your card was stolen and they freeze your accounts. Just FYI
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "....holy cow....what a ride!"

NOT ALL WHO WANDER ARE LOST

Total Days at Sea

Sept 22, 2008 Monarch of the Seas My First Cruise
Sept 27, 2009 Mariner of the Seas My 50th Birthday Celebration
Sept 27, 2010 Carnival Paradise My First Carnival Cruise
Sept 19, 2011 Carnival Imagination Another Birthday Celebration
Jan 7, 2013 Carnival Destiny Winter Getaway
Sept 14, 2013 Carnival Liberty Another Birthday Bash
Oct 13, 2014 Carnival Victory Girls Party Time
Oct 11, 2015 Navigator of the Seas Solo Getaway
Feb 7, 2016 Carnival Sensation My Answer to Winter
Sept 7, 2016 Carnival Sunshine My First visit to NYC