Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Bahamas

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 28th, 2012, 09:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default is bug spray required?

I am going to be visiting Great Stirrup Cay and Nassau, do i need bug spray or is always better to have it on hand? I know i read some posts to be careful of the birds on the gsc

Old April 28th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

This is what we use when going to shore.
Bull Frog Mosquito Coast, Sunblock with Insect Repellent, SPF 30
Mercury 4/01, Zenith 3/02, NCL Majesty 5/02, S/S Norway 12/02, CCL Victory 1/05, CCL Miracle 10/05 CCL Victory 3/06, RCCL Grandeur 1/07, RCCL Rhapsody 5/07, CCL Triumph 4/08, CCL Triumph 11/08, CCL Miracle 11/09, NCL Spirit 8/2010, CCL Valor 11/2010, NCL Spirit 2/2011, Summit 8/2011, RCCL Explorer of the Seas 12/2011, CCL Conquest 2/2012, Summit 8/2012, NCL Jewel 11/4/12, CCL Glory 3/13, NCL Gem 04/09/13, CCL Freedom 11/16/13, CCL Glory 02/16/14, Golden Princess 07/2014, Carnival Splendor 10/24/14

Old April 28th, 2012, 05:26 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

It's good to have on hand, but we have never needed bug spray in Nassau or on CocoCay (next to Great Stirrup.)

Old April 29th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have spent Lots of time on islands and most of them don't have mosquito problems because it's such a small piece of land in the ocean and the breeze is usually strong.

Old April 30th, 2012, 04:43 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I agree that bugs are not usually an issue, but I'd rather have some of the newer bug repellent wipes (lighter than spray to pack) on hand. I got some Repel wipes in the camping dept at Walmart for about $4.

Grand Princess, Eastern,April 2001, 7 days ~~
Grand Princess, Western,April 2002, 7 days ~~
Cross-Country RV trip, Summer, 2003, 60 days ~~
Regal Princess, Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004, 15 days ~~
Caribbean Princess, E Carib, Nov 13-20, 2004, 7 days
Coral Princess, Alaska SB, May 21-28, 2005, 7 days
Star Princess, E Carib, Oct 16-23, 2005, 7 days ~~
HAL ms Westerdam, E Carib, April 2-9, 2006; 7 days
Sun Princess, S Carib, Nov 30-Dec 10, 2006; 10 days
Coral Princess, Panama Canal, Oct 31, 2007, 10 days
Grand Princess, 3 Continent TA, 4/12/08, 20 days
Crown Princess, Quebec to FLL, 15 days, Oct 23, 2009
Carnival Ecstasy, Bahamas, Nov 26, 2011, 5 days
Crown Princess, S Carib, March 17, 2012, 7 days
Carnival Fascination, Bahamas, June, 2012, 5 days
Ruby Princess, TA & Greek Isles, Apr 28-May 24, 2013, 26 days

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 12th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

We'll be going to Coco Cay and Nassau later this month. Hopefully the relatively bug free conditions described by previous posters still hold true, but, with such a rainy summer, I am wondering if we will need insect repellent at either port. Are there any problems with Dengue fever this year?
Memories: Freedom OTS 9/14; Celebrity Constellation 4/14; Liberty OTS 2/14, Independence OTS Eastern Cariibbean 12/13, Enchantment OTS 11/13, Freedom OTS Western Caribbean 9/13, Enchantment OTS Bahamas 4/13, Monarch OTS Bahamas 8/12, Monarch OTS Bahamas 4/12, Millennium W. Caribbean 10/11, Sensation Bahamas, 9/11, Radiance OTS W Caribbean 2/11, Constellation S Caribbean 11/10, Solstice E Caribbean 10/10, Century Caribbean 4/10; Solstice Caribbean 1/10, Century B2B 12/09; Century Caribbean B2B 4/09, Constellation S Caribbean 12/08; Century W Caribbean 1/08;
Constellation TransAtlantic 9/07; Radiance OTS Pacific Coastal 9/06; Radiance OTS W. Caribbean 3/06; Summit Alaska 9/02; Zenith Caribbean New Years Eve 01

Old August 16th, 2012, 10:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sand fleas

many, many years ago on the private island some people legs were ate up by sand fleas.

Better safe than sorry if you are prone to getting bit like me. 1 bug in a five mile radius and it will find me while bypassing 100 other people! Lol

I like the sunblock/bug spray combo as well. Avon has a good one too. I also have wipes as just in case when visiting other ports.

Old August 20th, 2012, 08:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

This was on the carnival website

The Bahamas has recently seen an increase in the number of cases of Dengue fever.
Dengue fever is caused by a virus transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected mosquito. It is not spread person to person so there is no need to worry about being near a person who might have Dengue fever.
While most cases are mild and resolved without treatment, occasionally patients may experience fever and chills, headache, muscle and joint pain, and/or a rash. On rare occasions, complications are severe enough to warrant hospitalization.

Dengue is uncommon in the continental United States. It usually is found in tropical and subtropical parts of the world. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control indicates that the risk of dengue infection for international travelers appears to be small.

Authorities in Nassau, Freeport and Half Moon Cay have informed us that they have instituted aggressive measures, such as fogging and spraying, in order to mitigate any occurrences.
Guests can minimize their risk by exercising the following precautions when outdoors:
• Wear a long sleeve shirt and full length pants preferably of a light color.
• Apply insect repellent.
• Be especially vigilant at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes tend to be most active.
We take all health issues seriously, and we hope this information is helpful. If you have further questions or concerns about Dengue fever, the ship's doctors and nurses are available on board to assist.

Old August 20th, 2012, 08:59 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet1p View Post
This was on the carnival website

The Bahamas has recently seen an increase in the number of cases of Dengue fever.
Dengue fever is caused by a virus transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected mosquito. It is not spread person to person so there is no need to worry about being near a person who might have Dengue fever.
While most cases are mild and resolved without treatment, occasionally patients may experience fever and chills, headache, muscle and joint pain, and/or a rash. On rare occasions, complications are severe enough to warrant hospitalization.

Dengue is uncommon in the continental United States. It usually is found in tropical and subtropical parts of the world. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control indicates that the risk of dengue infection for international travelers appears to be small.

Authorities in Nassau, Freeport and Half Moon Cay have informed us that they have instituted aggressive measures, such as fogging and spraying, in order to mitigate any occurrences.
Guests can minimize their risk by exercising the following precautions when outdoors:
• Wear a long sleeve shirt and full length pants preferably of a light color.
• Apply insect repellent.
• Be especially vigilant at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes tend to be most active.
We take all health issues seriously, and we hope this information is helpful. If you have further questions or concerns about Dengue fever, the ship's doctors and nurses are available on board to assist.
This info is old news... we were very lucky this season and did not have an outbreak of Dengue fever. Haven't seen mosquitoes this season either.

Old August 21st, 2012, 06:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubagirrl View Post
This info is old news... we were very lucky this season and did not have an outbreak of Dengue fever. Haven't seen mosquitoes this season either.
Well I was just putting what is posted on their website now is all..

Old August 21st, 2012, 08:49 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet1p View Post
Well I was just putting what is posted on their website now is all..
I'm not faulting you.. just wanted to point out that there is no longer a reason to panic over dengue fever in the bahamas.