is bug spray required?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 06:41 PM.
#2
Hudson Valley New York
5,687 Posts
Joined Nov 2005
This is what we use when going to shore.
Bull Frog Mosquito Coast, Sunblock with Insect Repellent, SPF 30
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Mercury 4/01, Zenith 3/02, NCL Majesty 5/02, S/S Norway 12/02, CCL Victory 1/05, CCL Miracle 10/05 CCL Victory 3/06, RCCL Grandeur 1/07, RCCL Rhapsody 5/07, CCL Triumph 4/08, CCL Triumph 11/08, CCL Miracle 11/09, NCL Spirit 8/2010, CCL Valor 11/2010, NCL Spirit 2/2011, Summit 8/2011, RCCL Explorer of the Seas 12/2011, CCL Conquest 2/2012, Summit 8/2012, NCL Jewel 11/4/12, CCL Glory 3/13, NCL Gem 04/09/13, CCL Freedom 11/16/13, CCL Glory 02/16/14, Golden Princess 07/2014, Carnival Splendor 10/24/14, CCL Freedom 1/2015, NCL Gem 01/12/16, Caribbean Princess 12/17/16
#3
New England
4,856 Posts
Joined May 2005
It's good to have on hand, but we have never needed bug spray in Nassau or on CocoCay (next to Great Stirrup.)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
April
#5
Orange Park, Florida
4,723 Posts
Joined Mar 2002
I agree that bugs are not usually an issue, but I'd rather have some of the newer bug repellent wipes (lighter than spray to pack) on hand. I got some Repel wipes in the camping dept at Walmart for about $4.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Cruising!!
Gloria

Grand Princess, Eastern,April 2001, 7 days ~~
Grand Princess, Western,April 2002, 7 days ~~
Cross-Country RV trip, Summer, 2003, 60 days ~~
Regal Princess, Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004, 15 days ~~
Caribbean Princess, E Carib, Nov 13-20, 2004, 7 days
Coral Princess, Alaska SB, May 21-28, 2005, 7 days
Star Princess, E Carib, Oct 16-23, 2005, 7 days ~~
HAL ms Westerdam, E Carib, April 2-9, 2006; 7 days
Sun Princess, S Carib, Nov 30-Dec 10, 2006; 10 days
Coral Princess, Panama Canal, Oct 31, 2007, 10 days
Grand Princess, 3 Continent TA, 4/12/08, 20 days
Crown Princess, Quebec to FLL, 15 days, Oct 23, 2009
Carnival Ecstasy, Bahamas, Nov 26, 2011, 5 days
Crown Princess, S Carib, March 17, 2012, 7 days
Carnival Fascination, Bahamas, June, 2012, 5 days
Ruby Princess, TA & Greek Isles, Apr 28-May 24, 2013, 26 days
#6
Florida
261 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
We'll be going to Coco Cay and Nassau later this month. Hopefully the relatively bug free conditions described by previous posters still hold true, but, with such a rainy summer, I am wondering if we will need insect repellent at either port. Are there any problems with Dengue fever this year?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Soon: Freedom OTS 9/15
Memories: Explorer OTS 1/15; Freedom OTS 11/14; Freedom OTS 9/14; Celebrity Constellation 4/14; Liberty OTS 2/14, Independence OTS Eastern Cariibbean 12/13, Enchantment OTS 11/13, Freedom OTS Western Caribbean 9/13, Enchantment OTS Bahamas 4/13, Monarch OTS Bahamas 8/12, Monarch OTS Bahamas 4/12, Millennium W. Caribbean 10/11, Sensation Bahamas, 9/11, Radiance OTS W Caribbean 2/11, Constellation S Caribbean 11/10, Solstice E Caribbean 10/10, Century Caribbean 4/10; Solstice Caribbean 1/10, Century B2B 12/09; Century Caribbean B2B 4/09, Constellation S Caribbean 12/08; Century W Caribbean 1/08;
Constellation TransAtlantic 9/07; Radiance OTS Pacific Coastal 9/06; Radiance OTS W. Caribbean 3/06; Summit Alaska 9/02; Zenith Caribbean New Years Eve 01
#7
SC
2,825 Posts
Joined Jan 2005
many, many years ago on the private island some people legs were ate up by sand fleas.

Better safe than sorry if you are prone to getting bit like me. 1 bug in a five mile radius and it will find me while bypassing 100 other people! Lol

I like the sunblock/bug spray combo as well. Avon has a good one too. I also have wipes as just in case when visiting other ports.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Nicky's countdown




Freedom of the Seas May 8th 2016 picture album:
http://s1242.photobucket.com/user/Ni...f%20the%20Seas
#8
Summerville SC
78 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
This was on the carnival website

The Bahamas has recently seen an increase in the number of cases of Dengue fever.
Dengue fever is caused by a virus transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected mosquito. It is not spread person to person so there is no need to worry about being near a person who might have Dengue fever.
While most cases are mild and resolved without treatment, occasionally patients may experience fever and chills, headache, muscle and joint pain, and/or a rash. On rare occasions, complications are severe enough to warrant hospitalization.

Dengue is uncommon in the continental United States. It usually is found in tropical and subtropical parts of the world. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control indicates that the risk of dengue infection for international travelers appears to be small.

Authorities in Nassau, Freeport and Half Moon Cay have informed us that they have instituted aggressive measures, such as fogging and spraying, in order to mitigate any occurrences.
Guests can minimize their risk by exercising the following precautions when outdoors:
• Wear a long sleeve shirt and full length pants preferably of a light color.
• Apply insect repellent.
• Be especially vigilant at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes tend to be most active.
We take all health issues seriously, and we hope this information is helpful. If you have further questions or concerns about Dengue fever, the ship's doctors and nurses are available on board to assist.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#9
11,985 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by quiet1p
This was on the carnival website

The Bahamas has recently seen an increase in the number of cases of Dengue fever.
Dengue fever is caused by a virus transmitted to humans via the bite of an infected mosquito. It is not spread person to person so there is no need to worry about being near a person who might have Dengue fever.
While most cases are mild and resolved without treatment, occasionally patients may experience fever and chills, headache, muscle and joint pain, and/or a rash. On rare occasions, complications are severe enough to warrant hospitalization.

Dengue is uncommon in the continental United States. It usually is found in tropical and subtropical parts of the world. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control indicates that the risk of dengue infection for international travelers appears to be small.

Authorities in Nassau, Freeport and Half Moon Cay have informed us that they have instituted aggressive measures, such as fogging and spraying, in order to mitigate any occurrences.
Guests can minimize their risk by exercising the following precautions when outdoors:
• Wear a long sleeve shirt and full length pants preferably of a light color.
• Apply insect repellent.
• Be especially vigilant at dawn and dusk when mosquitoes tend to be most active.
We take all health issues seriously, and we hope this information is helpful. If you have further questions or concerns about Dengue fever, the ship's doctors and nurses are available on board to assist.
This info is old news... we were very lucky this season and did not have an outbreak of Dengue fever. Haven't seen mosquitoes this season either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Blue Skies, white clouds and no problems
------------------------------------
#10
Summerville SC
78 Posts
Joined Apr 2012
Originally posted by scubagirrl
This info is old news... we were very lucky this season and did not have an outbreak of Dengue fever. Haven't seen mosquitoes this season either.
Well I was just putting what is posted on their website now is all..
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#11
11,985 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by quiet1p
Well I was just putting what is posted on their website now is all..
I'm not faulting you.. just wanted to point out that there is no longer a reason to panic over dengue fever in the bahamas.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Blue Skies, white clouds and no problems
------------------------------------