Live from the Viking Idun

mikemartha

Boarded the Viking Idun late afternoon. Arrived in Amsterdam early Thursday. If you haven't visited the Anne Frank house, it is worth the visit. Very moving. I would recommend getting tickets on line. From the Viking hotel to Central Station is a 15 to 20 minute walk. I would recommend getting a day pass for the tram. It is a short walk to catch tram 26 to central station. Coming back to the hotel after a long day, you will appreciate the shorter walk. There is not much around the hotel. Left out of the hotel is a Subway in about half a block. Buffet at the hotel was good.

Check in easy. The sea bass for dinner was good. Wine flowed freely. Rooms have plenty of storage space.rooms Smaller than ocean cruise ships, but appears to be functional. This will be the first Grand European Cruise for the Idun. We are about mid ship and while I had a problem getting on the net we are up and running now.

If you have any questions, I'll give you my unvalued opinion.

appreciate all your comments. On the walking tours--did you like them? Are they too slow? I understand that it is not dressy on the river boat, is this the case? Is the dining room really noisy? Any wonderful sites you see. Everything will be much appreciated.

Boarded the Viking Idun late afternoon. Arrived in Amsterdam early Thursday. If you haven't visited the Anne Frank house, it is worth the visit. Very moving. I would recommend getting tickets on line. We are about mid ship and while I had a problem getting on the net we are up and running now.

If you have any questions, I'll give you my unvalued opinion.

We have our tickets for Anne Frank Huis the day after we arrive in Amsterdam - thanks for the advice about a tram day pass. Are you able to get the WiFi signal in your cabin? We are mid-ship second deck on the Njord. If you spot the Njord on you way will you give her a push towards Amsterdam!!

appreciate all your comments. On the walking tours--did you like them? Are they too slow? I understand that it is not dressy on the river boat, is this the case? Is the dining room really noisy? Any wonderful sites you see. Everything will be much appreciated.

Our first walking tour was this morning in Kinderdijik. We walked at a brisk pace to the wind mills. Cruising this afternoon was mostly of industrial, now flat land, not sure if we are in Germany yet or not. I find the dining room to be very noisy, But I do wear hearing aides. Today at lunch it wasn't as bad. Dress code is pretty relaxed. Tonight at dinner I will wear my dress out fit, Dockers, long sleeve shirt, and a sweater vest. Wife, black pants and a top. The ladies have found the dining room chilly. We are on deck 3, mid ship. Wifi works ok, but it kicks me off at times. Apparently it doesn't work going through the locks. Still pretty cool, so we haven't been able to unlayer.

We were on the Idun for the April 10 sailing. I did find the dining room a bit chilly. As for noise, the tables are either round, seating 6, or long, seating 8, and there is only one seating. So, with all the passengers dining at once and all the conversations going, it does get noisy. I could usually hear the people speaking on either side of me (or directly across from me if we were at a long table),but not others further away, until later in the evening when the dining room started to empty out.

How is the closet space? Are you able to use the outlets without converters?

Thanks Sunrocket

Our first walking tour was this morning in Kinderdijik. We walked at a brisk pace to the wind mills. Cruising this afternoon was mostly of industrial, now flat land, not sure if we are in Germany yet or not. I find the dining room to be very noisy, But I do wear hearing aides. Today at lunch it wasn't as bad. Dress code is pretty relaxed. Tonight at dinner I will wear my dress out fit, Dockers, long sleeve shirt, and a sweater vest. Wife, black pants and a top. The ladies have found the dining room chilly. We are on deck 3, mid ship. Wifi works ok, but it kicks me off at times. Apparently it doesn't work going through the locks. Still pretty cool, so we haven't been able to unlayer.

How is the closet space? Are you able to use the outlets without converters?

Thanks Sunrocket

I found the hanging space in the closets a bit lacking due to a "bump-out" in that space that pushed into half the hanging space, making the hangers push sideways when you slid the closet door closed. It would have been better to have shelves in that portion to make it more useable. The other side of the closet was nice, as it had deep shelves and the safe, and there was plenty of room on those shelves for folded clothes and below for shoes, laundry, etc.

There are both 110 and 220 outlets on each end of the counter that runs the entire length of the mirrored wall across from the bed. There is also a 110 outlet over the nightstand next to the one side of the bed, so plenty of outlets and no need for converters.

Glad all is going well. Have you had a chance to compare verandas on deck 3 vs 2 We don't want to make a mistake by taking deck two (cabin 215) only concerrned if because two is lower does it have reduce view of shore, etc.

Thanks Carol & Bob

will survive!!! LOL. I know with hearing aids the ambient noise is a pain. I hope we get to talk to people at our table, but with every down side there is an up side. Let us know when you get to the pretty part--it is coming! We wish you all the best.

Carole

Glad all is going well. Have you had a chance to compare verandas on deck 3 vs 2 We don't want to make a mistake by taking deck two (cabin 215) only concerrned if because two is lower does it have reduce view of shore, etc.

Thanks Carol & Bob

That's the cabin number I'll be in on the Njord Thursday - we never even considered being lower might reduce the view - the whole ship is so low - but I'll try to post here about it.

What are those opaque glass bathroom doors like??

I heard of them today and wondered if you can see through them.

Bathroom doors are different for us Americans. You really can't see thru them. The problem, at least in our cabin, is the door does not close all the way on the side toward your cabin door. We have almost a3/4 inch gap and if you happen to be on the John or just out of the shower and someone opens the cabin door you will be on display. They have a stop which can be moved, but the glass barely covers the door as it is. Not a major problem, but one Viking should fix before the next series of ships are built.

While there is not a great number of TV stations, the movie on demand is a great feature.

Thanks Carol & Bob

I don't think it will make any difference, especially if you are parked next to another river boat. We are in 323. Dikes are not as high as those on the lower Mississipi, so in most cases you will have the same view.

Arrived in Cologne, Germany before 10 this morning. Took a walking tour of the city and ended up at the Dom, Germanys largest Cathedral. We are tied up just to the south of the Deutzer Brucke (bridge). Another tie up place for Viking is just north before the Hohenzollernbrucke. Monday all of the museums in Cologne are closed. So if you are south bound like us, no museum visits. North bound I don't know what day you are in here, but the chocolate museum is to the left, not very far, as you leave the ship.

Optional tour tonight is Cologne Beer Culture for 29 euro. We passed as there are plenty of small cafes' near the ship. Patios of the cafes' run together so make sure you are in the one you really want.

A couple of things to do on your own. We found a great bakery for apple streusel. Don't have the name at the moment, but walk the street south in front of the Dom and it will be on the lefthand side. Great diet food. Seeing the Dom at night, ship doesn't leave until midnight. Walk across the Hohenzollembruck. And last is drink beer.

Arrived in Cologne, Germany before 10 this morning. Took a walking tour of the city and ended up at the Dom, Germanys largest Cathedral. We are tied up just to the south of the Deutzer Brucke (bridge). Another tie up place for Viking is just north before the Hohenzollernbrucke. Monday all of the museums in Cologne are closed. So if you are south bound like us, no museum visits. North bound I don't know what day you are in here, but the chocolate museum is to the left, not very far, as you leave the ship.

Optional tour tonight is Cologne Beer Culture for 29 euro. We passed as there are plenty of small cafes' near the ship. Patios of the cafes' run together so make sure you are in the one you really want.

A couple of things to do on your own. We found a great bakery for apple streusel. Don't have the name at the moment, but walk the street south in front of the Dom and it will be on the lefthand side. Great diet food. Seeing the Dom at night, ship doesn't leave until midnight. Walk across the Hohenzollembruck. And last is drink beer.

Thanks so much for your posts.how grand to have real live reports of your enjoyment...

I'd like to add my thanks for your taking the time to post.

At least in our experience in the past, accessing the Internet on river cruises is more challenging than on an ocean ship. Your committment to the task is commendable and appreciated

I have learned a great deal from cruise critic; so it's my pleasure to return the favor. This morning we docked in Koblenz by the monument honoring emperor William 1. Hint for here is to get off early before the tour and climb the monument. This is this ships first Grand European Tour and at times it they are rookies just like us. Bus tour up to Marksburg Castle and the ship met us below the castle. Then down the Rhine gorge. Beautiful! They chased us off the upper deck and are putting down the railings. Low bridges ahead. This is a day to make sure your batteries are charged and you have plenty of room on your chips. You will need it.

A few things about the ship. Hallways are narrow, but people are polite and you either stop at a doorway or pass sideways. At dinner you order your desert when you order your dinner. Portions Are not huge so you should have room to have desert.chief and his cruise is doing a great job.

I don't think it will make any difference, especially if you are parked next to another river boat. We are in 323. Dikes are not as high as those on the lower Mississipi, so in most cases you will have the same view.

Thank you for the info and for your interesting info on your ports of call... Enjoy!

Thank you for your efforts and reporting. My wife and I will be on the Idun in October for the same cruise that you're reporting about. So, your reports are both interesting and useful for us. Thank you!

Lee & Paula

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have learned a great deal from cruise critic; so it's my pleasure to return the favor. This morning we docked in Koblenz by the monument honoring emperor William 1. Hint for here is to get off early before the tour and climb the monument. This is this ships first Grand European Tour and at times it they are rookies just like us. Bus tour up to Marksburg Castle and the ship met us below the castle. Then down the Rhine gorge. Beautiful! They chased us off the upper deck and are putting down the railings. Low bridges ahead. This is a day to make sure your batteries are charged and you have plenty of room on your chips. You will need it.

A few things about the ship. Hallways are narrow, but people are polite and you either stop at a doorway or pass sideways. At dinner you order your desert when you order your dinner. Portions Are not huge so you should have room to have desert.chief and his cruise is doing a great job.

Your tips are so helpful, and I treasure your insight before we go on same cruise May 12....

So glad the portions are not huge, and I always have room for dessert !

We really appreciate your taking the time to update what has happened and what the tours have done. We are on the Njord in June for this same itinerary. You are certainly helping with the planning of what to do! Thanks MikeMartha! We hope you continue safe travels and hope you ENJOY!:D

Since my last post we have been traveling on the Main River. Pronounced Mine. Going through 33 locks. We have been banded from the top deck because of low bridges.

On Wednesday morning there was a glass blowing demonstration and an opportunity to purchase. Takes credit cards and will ship. In the afternoon off the ship in Freudenberg, bussed to Miltenberg for a walking tour, and then bussed to Wertheim to rejoin the ship. No time in either the first or last town to see anything. On the free time on these walking tours when they say meet at a certain time, they really mean they are leaving; so be there or you will be playing catchup.

Yesterday we took a tour of Wurzburg Residenz in Wurzburg and then joined the optional tour to Rothenburg. 59 euro per person including lunch. I was disappointed with the lunch, but the first place where they had good shopping. Was it worth 59 euro. Probably not, but been there, done that. But it was a opportunity to get off the boat and the boat is traveling.

Our program director recommended the tips given the private tour guides is 3 euro per couple and 1 euro per couple for the bus driver.

While the tips for the cruise itself is recommended at 12 euros per person per day appears to be steep, it does include the cruise director and all other staff. Believe me they earn their money and you will be happy to give it to them. You have already paid a arm and a leg for the cruise, a little more blood won't hurt.

Archived