Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > River Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

River Cruising Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls

Old May 6th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks about the charging part. I am hesitant as

in the past we have had credit card theft, but that was not in Germany. I think I may have gotten enough Euro. However, I will keep that in mind.

Old May 6th, 2012, 11:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don't let them take the credit card out of your sight. They should bring the machine to you. If not follow along. Another lesson yesterday. Watch where you are walking. A lady took a nasty fall yesterday because she missed a step. Easy to do when your head is up watching the beautiful sights. None of us are as young as we think we are.

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Rooms on the Idun?

Hi Mike and Martha,
Leaving for Budapest Friday, to take the same trip opposite direction as you are on currently. Curious about rooms, we are in 325 veranda , wonder if a bit more room than French balcony? Not sure if you would know, but thought we would ask, since you are the resident experts!

Old May 7th, 2012, 11:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittib11 View Post
Hi Mike and Martha,
Leaving for Budapest Friday, to take the same trip opposite direction as you are on currently. Curious about rooms, we are in 325 veranda , wonder if a bit more room than French balcony? Not sure if you would know, but thought we would ask, since you are the resident experts!
We are next door in 323. Rooms are smaller than ocean liners, but you have a great room and view. The one thing they don't tell you that onces you leave Passau you will have 5 days of not being able to go up on the view deck. Youwill appreciate the balcony. Also after Passau you will have a ton of locks. Weather has been great after the first two days. You will enjoy.

Old May 7th, 2012, 03:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Veranda vs French Balcony

Mike and Martha,
You have made our day with your confirmation of our room choice! We struggled with the French balcony vs Veranda balcony, and felt it was the right choice with our first river cruise, bucket list trip, etc. To be able to sit on our balcony when sun deck not available will be great! So glad your weather cleared up and you are enjoying so much, hope we have some that that good weather left when we arrive..

Old May 8th, 2012, 01:19 PM
Viking Guest Relations ~~ Woodland Hills, CA ~ verified

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemartha View Post
Arrived in Regenensberg two hours late. Explainion from our guide was they work on the canals in April and the ship s are backed up. Last year the river cruises had priority but not this year. No word from Viking, which could be improved. Had a great guide for a city tour. At the end we walked across the Stone Bridge and ate sausage at Alte Wurstkuche, Germany's oldest restaurant. Might be more expensive, but the real thing. We are here on a Sunday, so most of the stores are closed . For you guys that is a good thing.
Weather was raining this morning, but nice this afternoon. Rum drink today And maybe that is my problem. I haven't checked tonight, but at last check we haven't been able to go up on the view check. Viking doesn't say that in the fine print. All in all a great day.
Dear mikemartha,

We have so enjoyed reading your posts during your time aboard Viking Idun — and especially are pleased at those where you declare that all in all you had a great day!

As some of the first guests to sail aboard Viking Idun your comments and feedback on all aspects of the ship, service, itinerary and cruise experience are invaluable to us. We hope that when you return home you will email us directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com and share more of your opinions, suggestions, what you really enjoyed the most, or any concerns you may have. Basically, anything you think we should know about your trip, we very much want to hear.

We understand your disappointment with the Sun Deck sometimes being closed due to lower bridges, but please know that it is for the safety of our guests. We hope that during those times you were instead able to enjoy sailing from the Aquavit Terrace, Lounge or your stateroom.

We hope the rest of your trip is wonderful and we hope to hear from you after you’ve returned home, unpacked, and settled back in to daily life.

Warm regards,
Viking River Cruises

Old May 8th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Well I certainly think that was a very nice

post from Viking. MikeMartha, you have helped us immensely. We will be on the Idun in late June and July from Amsterdam to Budapest. We have one of those Explorer Suites and are looking forward to using our patio sometimes. Hope so. Thanks for your posts.

Old May 9th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingRiverCruises1 View Post
Dear mikemartha,

We have so enjoyed reading your posts during your time aboard Viking Idun — and especially are pleased at those where you declare that all in all you had a great day!

As some of the first guests to sail aboard Viking Idun your comments and feedback on all aspects of the ship, service, itinerary and cruise experience are invaluable to us. We hope that when you return home you will email us directly at TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com and share more of your opinions, suggestions, what you really enjoyed the most, or any concerns you may have. Basically, anything you think we should know about your trip, we very much want to hear.

We understand your disappointment with the Sun Deck sometimes being closed due to lower bridges, but please know that it is for the safety of our guests. We hope that during those times you were instead able to enjoy sailing from the Aquavit Terrace, Lounge or your stateroom.

We hope the rest of your trip is wonderful and we hope to hear from you after you’ve returned home, unpacked, and settled back in to daily life.

Warm regards,
Viking River Cruises
I Can appreciate the safety part and the 3 hours it takes the crew to take down the rails etc, but I think it is fair to let future river cruisers on the Grand European Tour that 7 straight days we were not allowed on the top deck. My advice is to get off the ship every chance you get. On board you have about 1/3 of the third deck to move around. It is not a big minus, but the lack of information is.

Old May 9th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemartha View Post
I Can appreciate the safety part and the 3 hours it takes the crew to take down the rails etc, but I think it is fair to let future river cruisers on the Grand European Tour that 7 straight days we were not allowed on the top deck. My advice is to get off the ship every chance you get. On board you have about 1/3 of the third deck to move around. It is not a big minus, but the lack of information is.
Monday we docked in Passau and had a walking tour and an optional organ concert. Walking tours have been informative and generally 90 minutes long. Had some free time to walk around and the ship left at 6:00 p.m. this was our last German stop.
Tuesday we arrived in Melk and took a tour bus up to the Melk Abbey, many walked down. In the afternoon we sailed thru the Wachau Valley and docked in Durnstein small interesting town. We found a couple of good bars. One for wine and one for beer. Went off ship after dinner and hit another bar near where we docked. Left at midnight.
Breakfast while a buffet have been good. Benjamin makes a mean omlet. Cereal, bread, fruit all there.

Old May 9th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Viking Longship

Mike/Martha,

As a 3 x cruiser with Viking, I appreciate your posts/reviews from the new Viking Longship. I have my 4th scheduled with Viking on the Odin in November. Thanks again.

11/14 Viking Hermod - Portraits of Southern France
11/13 Viking Prestige - Vineyards & Vistas / Trier to Bamberg
11/12 Viking Odin - Romantic Danube / Budapest to Nuremberg
11/11 Viking Schumann - Elegant Elbe / Prague to Berlin
10/10 Viking Sun - Rhine Getaway / Amsterdam to Basel (Lucerne)
11/09 Viking Pride - Romantic Danube / Nuremberg to Vienna
8/09 RCCL Explorer of the Seas / Bermuda
8/07 RCCL Western Caribbean
8/06 RCCL Spendour of the Seas /Greek Isles
6/05 RCCL Navigator of the Seas /Western Caribbean
6/04 RCCL Adventure of the Seas /Eastern Caribbean
6/03 CCL - Zenith /Bermuda
6/02 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas / Mediterrean

Old May 9th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Will be on Idum in August so finding these posts a huge help. Please do not think we are snobs, but after 70 cruises (this will be first river cruise)and answering same questions at dinner, we now prefer dining alone. Is that possible on Idum??

Old May 9th, 2012, 04:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevenseassailor View Post
Will be on Idum in August so finding these posts a huge help. Please do not think we are snobs, but after 70 cruises (this will be first river cruise)and answering same questions at dinner, we now prefer dining alone. Is that possible on Idum??
Quick answer is no. Tables are set up 6 and 8. They are not real flexible with anything to do with dining. For example they are serving fruit and ice cream for dessert and you want only the berries, in our case it didn't happen. We are a party of six so we filled a table, but we have met some great people. Most of them first time river cruisers. Enjoy

Old May 14th, 2012, 02:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are home now, but I will finish up the stops. Wednesday morning we had a bus walking tour of Vienna. Had free time and attended the optional Mozart and Strauss concert at night. Those going to the concert ate an earlier dinner. Concert was worth the money. Yes the seats were tight, but I enjoyed myself.
Thursday was a stop in Bratislava. Had a self walking tour. We made a wine stop and a beer stop. Captain's cocktail and dinner night. A few ties but not many. At 10:30 p.m. We could see the lights of Budapest. Friday a bus tour tour of Buda and Pest. Free time.
Saturday everyone out of Cabins by 9:00 a.m. But you could stay on the boat until departure to the airport or wherever.
Gratuities could be handled by euro, dollars or credit card. I found it hard to give extra to anyone, because I didn't think it was fair to do it openly and leave people out. I gave $450 US dollars. They spilt that up and every one including the captain gets an equal share. I did leave extra for the cabin Stewart.

Over all the staff was attentive and worked as a team. Viking was a good value for our money. The program director and her staff kept us moving in a orderly fashion on our tours.

The Viking Daily was informative and we were giving more information about locks and the various cities that we visited. One thing, our ship was hit by some type of virus. Many of the people were sick during the cruise. It would be good to take strong antibodies with you. The stronger the better. It was kind of like a sinus problem with a strong cough. Some people had to visit the doctor. Drug stores closed at noonon Saturday and closed on Sunday.

I will be on line for a few days to answer any last minute questions. Thanks for reading

Old May 14th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thank you so much, Mikemartha...we will take

Z Pak per your suggestion. We are looking forward to everything. I might ask, in Vienna we are having a private tour as I want to see the Lipinzanner horses. What time was dinner as I was thinking of going to the concert with the cruisers? Perhaps I should rethink that. Thank you in advance for your help.

Old May 14th, 2012, 11:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroldoll View Post
Z Pak per your suggestion. We are looking forward to everything. I might ask, in Vienna we are having a private tour as I want to see the Lipinzanner horses. What time was dinner as I was thinking of going to the concert with the cruisers? Perhaps I should rethink that. Thank you in advance for your help.
Dinner was 6:00 p.m. For the concert goers. Left for the concert at 7:30. Z PAC will do the trick.

Old May 14th, 2012, 11:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default How long before the cruise did you get your documents

Viking is only giving them to me several days before I have to leave. Seems late?

Old May 18th, 2012, 08:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks so much for this informative thread. We're in the middle of researching a Danube trip for 2013 and are trying to choose among Uniworld, Viking, Avalon and AMA.

Old May 18th, 2012, 09:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Awesome posts

i'm sailing on the Odin 12/1 Romantic Danube. You have shared a lot of very good information and answered many of my questions. Thanks

Old May 18th, 2012, 03:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sittib11 View Post
Hi Mike and Martha,
We will be doing Budapest to Amsterdam next year and would so love to hear about your travels when you have time. Also, since this is our first river cruise, how the service and food is on Viking.
Thanks! And we hope you have safe travels!

Old May 20th, 2012, 03:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile MikeMartha

Thanks for your review and helpful hints. We will be on the Prestige in August....Budapest to Amsterdam. This will be our first river cruise after many cruises on large ships. If you think of any other hints, please post them.

Thanks again,
NJ GAL