Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Holland America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holland America Line
Read thousands of Holland America Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Holland America Cruise Deals

How to Organize a Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle (Meet & Greet) on Board Your Holland America Cruise

NEW! Find Your HOLLAND AMERICA Roll Call

Old April 28th, 2012, 11:58 PM
10,000+ Club

Use one of the old HAL leather or cloth wallets to carry your travel documents. They were great, wish they were still around.

Glad we saved the ones we got years ago. They have come in very handy.

Old April 29th, 2012, 01:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

We too keep a paper travel dossier. But now I'm wondering about printing all the post-embark stuff once we're on the ship, to avoid flying with that extra 5 lbs of paper. Has anybody tried this?

My website http://frenchletters.wordpress.com

9/12 Alaska on HAL Westerdam
7/12 Voyage of the Vikings on HAL Maasdam
10/11 Spanish Serenade on HAL Ryndam
10/10 Panama Canal on Celebrity Infinity

Old April 29th, 2012, 02:28 AM
5,000+ Club

Like many of you, I keep everything in a folder with plastic sheets. Everything is in chronological order. In addition to tickets, cruise documents and confirmation emails I have port notes, insurance policy documents, list of roll call members etc.

In addition, I print different types of documents on different coloured paper (emails on yellow, information on pink, tickets on white etc) so that they stand out easily in a hurry.

I also keep documents (including copies of passports, credit cards, driving licences etc) on a memory stick with a password and also email the file to an account I rarely use so I can just pick it up anywhere if I were to lose everything.

DH thinks I am over-organised but he has been grateful for this on several occasions over the years.

Past cruises
1 P&O, 1 Radisson (now Regent), 2 NCL, 3 Festival (no longer exists), 4 RCI, 6 Windstar, 9 HAL

HAL

RCI Platinum

Our webpage (cruise photos, recipes and more)

Barcelona information pages

Old April 29th, 2012, 05:44 AM
50,000+ Club

Years ago we got leather folders when we sailed on the Concord years ago. I have all our paper work in one of the folders -- using paper clips to separate hotel reservations, reservations for shore excursions, etc. That goes into my carry-on.

In my purse I have a clear folder that we got from Princess years ago where I keep our flight tickets.

Old April 29th, 2012, 05:51 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandThyme View Post
We too keep a paper travel dossier. But now I'm wondering about printing all the post-embark stuff once we're on the ship, to avoid flying with that extra 5 lbs of paper. Has anybody tried this?
There is a fee for printing on the ship - so no, I haven't tried it.

Old April 29th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

In addition, I print different types of documents on different coloured paper (emails on yellow, information on pink, tickets on white etc) so that they stand out easily in a hurry.

------------------------

This is smart! Wish I had thought of this...it's too late for me now..but next time I am stealing this idea!!

Denise

Old April 29th, 2012, 06:28 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDenise View Post

------------------------

This is smart! Wish I had thought of this...it's too late for me now..but next time I am stealing this idea!!

Denise
If you do this, it is best to print things like airline boarding passes and cruise documents, that are likely to need scanning, on white paper. Sometimes they have difficulty with certain coloured papers.

Past cruises
1 P&O, 1 Radisson (now Regent), 2 NCL, 3 Festival (no longer exists), 4 RCI, 6 Windstar, 9 HAL

HAL

RCI Platinum

Our webpage (cruise photos, recipes and more)

Barcelona information pages

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have a system that has worked very well over many years of trips and cruises. I use a plastic accordion 10.5" x5.5"x1" with 12 partitions from an office supply store. I lable the catigories with removable post-it index tabs so I can change and custom the catigories from trip to trip. If I am not using it for the current trip I stick the unused index tabs in the front for latter trips. I also put a small pen (with some tape wrapped around it) , pencil, extra small highlighter (for when you read the daily cruise news), few rubber bands, and a small tiny baby stapler (for putting luggage tags on). For example for my upcomming HAL Baltic cruise I have the following catigories:Travel Agent Emails & letters; Air Flight; Rental Cars & Hotels Info; Shore Info; Booked Shore EX; On Board Info; Maps, Path, & Itinerary; Stock Credit; Boarding Pass & Luggage Tages; Contact information. I throw as I travel so it gets lighter and lighter. This little folder goes with me in my main carry on backpack when traveling until I get to my state room.

Old April 29th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have some special challenged for organization. We have a family of 5... My kids are all dual citizens , therefore they travel with 2 passports apiece.

Our trips are almost always abroad , with multiple hotel and car ressies . We also frequently have different airline reservations , due to using FF miles.

I have started using a wonderful travel app called TripIt Pro. It allows you to centralize all travel info : itineraries , flight numbers , confirmation numbers , addresses. Plus , you can forward copies to relatives or those traveling with you. It is really great , allowing you to access your info from any computer , smartphone , tablet etc , thus eliminating a lot of paperwork .

I carry separate folders with passports etc , love to buy pretty ones from Target. I always have a moleskine style notebook or journal too.

Lots of neat ideas here.
Celebrity Constellation- Baltics- July 2009
Celebrity Infinity- SA/Antarctica- January 2010
Celebrity Xpedition- Galapagos- July 2011
Carnival Dream-Western Caribbean-January 2012
HAL Eurodam- Norway/British Isles -July 2013
HAL Westerdam - Alaska 2014

Old April 29th, 2012, 10:50 AM
5,000+ Club

I keep all our papers in a manilla file folder that I can carry in my briefcase. Even before I traveled with a laptop, I carried some kind of small briefcase for travel docs. Our passports are in an oversized orange wallet-style passport holder that I found at Michael's craft shop. It's kind of ugly, but I love it because I can find it easily inside my briefcase or purse.

As soon as we make the first booking for a trip, I set up a day by day itinerary on my computer. EVERYTHING goes into that document--confirmation numbers, hotel/cruise line contact numbers, etc. OK, I'm obsessive, I go to the weather channel online and look at climate data to see likely temperature ranges for each day. I also check out sunrise/sunset, and add that data to each day. the file grows as we add to our plans.

Before we leave, I print out that file, plus any other docs I think I'll need, and they all go in date order into the manilla file folder. I make sure copies of everything are on the laptop, too.

I also take the itinerary file, copy it, and remove confirmation numbers and similar stuff so that I have a simplified copy I can give to my contact info family members.
5 QM2 - 3 TAs, Caribbean, Royal Circumnavigation of Australia
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 NCL - including 2 on SS Norway (RIP)
5 HAL
1 Uniworld River Cruise (Tulips and Windmills)
1 American Cruise Line - Queen of the West, Columbia & Snake Rivers

Old April 29th, 2012, 11:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

I do a lot of what is mentioned too---especially the emailing all the info to relatives "just in case".....

One important thing to remember too: Keep it in your carry on!! Do not put this in your checked luggage...

Past Cruises:
HAL Rotterdam 11-22-2010 30 Day Hawaii / Tahiti
HAL Zaandam 4-27-2010 16 Day Circle Hawaii
HAL Zaandam 11-7-09 15 Day Circle Hawaii
HAL Zuiderdam: 9-26-09 3-day Coastal
HAL Zaandam: 5-22-09 Alaska
Princess Dawn: 7-6-08 Alaska
Princess Dawn: 3-9-08 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Elation: 7-2007 3 day Baja
Carnival Liberty: August 2005 12 Day Med

Old April 29th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Kruizers View Post
Years ago we got leather folders when we sailed on the Concord years ago. I have all our paper work in one of the folders -- using paper clips to separate hotel reservations, reservations for shore excursions, etc. That goes into my carry-on.

In my purse I have a clear folder that we got from Princess years ago where I keep our flight tickets.
I used to use those'leatherette' folders we got from HAL years ago but they are a bit bulky, I like you, use those clear folders from Princess...it's a shame all the cruise lines stopped giving out folders.

Nieuw Amsterdam Sept 2012
Serenade of the Seas Oct 2011
Grandeur of the Seas June 2010
Caribbean Princess May 2010
Triumph Aug 2009
Island Princess April 2009

Dawn Princess May 2008
Crown Princess May 2007
Golden Princess April 2006
Star Princess April 2005
Zaandam April 2004
Mercury April 1999

Old April 29th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

I use the plastic accordian folder to separate all the information for each port. It worked great last year for our TA/Baltic cruise as I had printed out a lot of port information before we left (thanks to CC) and used the pockets for receipts/paper souvenirs from the ports. Have a separate soft-sided leatherette folder for travel information/tickets(easy to use in airports). For the next cruise will purchase another folder for all the cruise documents so I can keep it packed away in my carryon. Am a little OCD about losing things in airports.

Lots of helpful information on this thread - thanks.

Old April 29th, 2012, 01:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

I use the clear dividers in a paper "three ring pocket folder" and it served me so well last year in Vancouver.

Got to airline (Alaska) and we were booked from Seattle to Phoenix, but not from Vancouver to Seattle. Turns out it was Alaska Airlines' fault. Since the flight had been booked from HAL, airport rep got Air/Sea involved. Finally got it all sorted out, but Alaska hadn't sold a ticket for short hop, but had charged HAL for it! Our reservation and seat assignments were in the system!!!!!!

When I pulled out the folder with ALL the info in it, everyone standing around was amazed at how organized it was--ship info, flight info, shore excursion info, and port info!!! Would never leave home on another cruise without it.

Such a lifesaver.
Noordam (Mexico) 1985, Nieuw Amsterdam (Western Caribbean) 1988, Rotterdam (Eastern Caribbean) 1991, Maasdam (Southern Caribbean) 1994, Maasdam (Alaska) 1998, Ryndam (Sea of Cortez/Mexico) 2002, Statendam (Hawaii R/T) 2005, Ryndam (Alaska), May, 2010, Volendam (Asia, Russia, Alaska), May, 2011

NCL Pride of Hawaii, 2008

Old April 29th, 2012, 03:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by magandab View Post
Three cruises ago I bought a very inexpensive plastic spiral binder with about 6 plastic sheet protectors. These also have a front pocket on each side of each sheet. Depending on the itinerary, the first sheet has hotel reservations, then cruise docs, then shore X info, etc. I keep a copy of my passport and my traveling companion's (either Mom or DH). He or she also has a copy of mine. There are nice closable pockets on the inside of the front and back covers where I keep my foreign cash and a few $$$ for immediate need tips.

Also, I scan all vital documents, and put them on a thumb drive. That goes into the crossbody bag I take on the plane and every time I go off the ship. That way I have all critical phone number, copies of passports, etc. in case there is an emergency.
You might want to consider encrypting your thumb drive if you don't already do so. While having all that info with you on your person is great, if you lose that drive and it's not encrypted you'll be nervous....

Prior cruises:

Silhouette - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 5/16/2014 (Honeymoon cruise!) - Cabin 1243
Oasis of the Seas - Royal Caribbean - Western Caribbean - 12/7/2013 - Cabin 8151 (Wedding cruise!)
Summit - Celebrity - Canada/New England - 10/05/2013 - Cabin 8046

Reflection - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 10/12/2012 - Cabin 8279
Equinox - Celebrity - Mediterranean - 10/10/2011 - Cabin 8279
Nieuw Amsterdam - Holland America - Mediterranean - 10/6/2010 - Cabin 5051
Seabourn Spirit - Seabourn - Mediterranean - 10/10/2009 - Cabin 322

Holland America

Old April 29th, 2012, 03:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ariawoman View Post
You might want to consider encrypting your thumb drive if you don't already do so. While having all that info with you on your person is great, if you lose that drive and it's not encrypted you'll be nervous....
That's a good point. I travel with a thumb drive, mostly for backing up downloaded photos. But I wouldn't walk around with one, encrypted or not.
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 HAL

Old April 29th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default Many thanks to the OP for starting this thread!!

I have tried to become more organized each time I cruise so have used accordion folders for quite a while. Will also make sure everything we'd need if stranded somewhere is in an e-mail file that can be accessed in emergency as suggested here.

One other thing I have started doing is to place my immediate destination and next destination info and my cellphone number in the outer pocket of my luggage. In case it gets sidetracked somewhere there's a better chance it will catch up with me. (For some folks this might cause concern but I live in a safe community with very observant neighbors. Besides, my address is already on the luggage tag so I figure if someone plans to check out my house while I'm away they already have that info.)

Old April 29th, 2012, 05:39 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boytjie View Post
And I am known to create a fancy front page with pictures of the ship and where we are going to slip into the font cover.
I found one of them:

Key West was not on the itinerary but we spent a few days there pre-cruise.

Future Cruise:
RSVP Regal Princess Feb 8 2015 Western Caribbean
Past Cruises:
RSVP Caribbean Fantasy - Caribbean Princess Feb 2007
RSVP Alaska Gold Rush - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Exotic Caribbean - Zuiderdam Feb 2008
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2009
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2010
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 2012
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2013
RSVP Divina Caribbean - MSC Divina Feb 2014

Old April 29th, 2012, 05:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by the2ofus View Post
I have tried to become more organized each time I cruise so have used accordion folders for quite a while. Will also make sure everything we'd need if stranded somewhere is in an e-mail file that can be accessed in emergency as suggested here.

One other thing I have started doing is to place my immediate destination and next destination info and my cellphone number in the outer pocket of my luggage. In case it gets sidetracked somewhere there's a better chance it will catch up with me. (For some folks this might cause concern but I live in a safe community with very observant neighbors. Besides, my address is already on the luggage tag so I figure if someone plans to check out my house while I'm away they already have that info.)
When we checked in for our flights in Feb, United suggested printing out extra boarding passes to put inside our luggage. So we did that, and added our phone numbers to that piece of paper.
1 Caronia - Baltic
1 Princess
2 RCCL
5 HAL

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:42 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boytjie View Post
I found one of them.

Key West was not on the itinerary but we spent a few days there pre-cruise.
Peter, I never knew you were so creative. Very well done.