Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old April 29th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Help choosing the right line...

We went on a cruise once 20 years ago - in our early 20s. We would like to try again for our 20th wedding anniversary. We would prefer to leave from the US. The cabin and condition of the ship will be important to us. As is the food. I think we will book a jr or mini suite w/balcony. In the little research I've done Celebrity looks appealing but they don't seem to depart from any US cities. I would love to leave from New Orleans but the ship choices there don't seem to have overwhelming reviews. Any and all suggestions are more than welcome.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 29th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrmo View Post
We went on a cruise once 20 years ago - in our early 20s. We would like to try again for our 20th wedding anniversary. We would prefer to leave from the US. The cabin and condition of the ship will be important to us. As is the food. I think we will book a jr or mini suite w/balcony. In the little research I've done Celebrity looks appealing but they don't seem to depart from any US cities. I would love to leave from New Orleans but the ship choices there don't seem to have overwhelming reviews. Any and all suggestions are more than welcome.
Welcome to Cruise Critic.

Personally, I don't think that you can go wrong with Celebrity. Especially their Solstice class ships. While we have only cruised once with Celebrity, we definitely plan to cruise that line again. Balcony rooms are spacious and the decor is not overwhelming. Food was good and service was excellent. We cruised out of Ft. Lauderdale. Except for our Alaska cruise, we've always cruised out of east coast ports.

We usually try to choose a ship (not a cruise line) that we have not sailed on before and then look at the length of cruise and ports of call. We tend not to look at cruise reviews and trust our travel agent's advice when deciding to go on another cruise.
01/14-HAL MS Noordam-11 night Southern Caribbean
12/12-Celebrity Eclipse-14 night Southern Caribbean-New Years Cruise
06/12-Carnival Dream-7 Night Western Caribbean
01/12-Holland America-MS Noordam-10 Night Southern Caribbean
01/11-Celebrity Equinox-11 Night Ultimate Caribbean
05/09-RCCL-Rhapsody of the Seas-7 Night Alaska
06/08-Carnival Victory-6 Night Bahamas
06/05-Carnival Miracle- 8 Night Eastern Caribbean
06/03-RCCL-Nordic Empress-7 Night Bermuda
2001 -Carnival Triumph-7 Night Western Caribbean
1997 -RCCL-Grandeur of the Seas-7 Night Eastern Caribbean

Old April 29th, 2012, 03:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

When are you planning on cruising? Celebrity doesn't do FL in the summer, but the Summit goes to Bermuda out of NJ.

Old April 29th, 2012, 07:58 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrmo View Post
If you'd like to cruise out of New Orleans, I'd recommend Royal Caribbean. They don't cruise out of NOLA all year round, but they are here from early Fall until Spring. I would say they are the nicest option out of New Orleans for an anniversary.

Otherwise, have you thought of trying Princess? They are very similar to Celebrity and cruise out of US cities.

Celebration, 1998
Carnival Destiny, 1999
Carnival Destiny, 2000
RCCL Serenade of the Seas, 2004
Crown Princess, 2007
Carnival Fantasy, 2008
Ruby Princess, 2008
Carnival Sensation (Abbie), 2009
Carnival Fantasy, 2009
Caribbean Princess, 2009
Carnival Triumph, 2010
Emerald Princess, 2010
Golden Princess (Alaska), 2011
RCCL Voyager of the Seas, 2011
NCL Spirit, 2012
Emerald Princess, 2012
Carnival Freedom (Girls' Trip), 2013
NCL Sun, 2013
NCL Jewel, 2014
Celebrity Summit, 2014

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:27 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

You could also consider a full suite on NCL, if it is in the budget, out of NOLA. A suite would get you many perks on NCL...it is not the same atmosphere as Celebrity, better in some ways, lesser in others...always subjective. If you book an NCL suite 9+ months out and pay with AMEX, they offer a $500 OBC, so the cost may end up competitive with a jr suite on another line. edit...if you are foodies, leave some money in budget for some specialty restaurants if you select NCL for an anniversary cruise.

Last edited by Starry Eyes; April 29th, 2012 at 08:29 PM.

Old April 29th, 2012, 08:56 PM
20,000+ Club

Unless you're cruising in summer or fall, Celebrity does sail out of US ports. Or, you could do an Alaska cruise on Celebrity out of Seattle. If food is important, look at Celebrity, HAL or Princess. They are known to have better food and service and are considered a bit better than other mass market lines.