Notes from QM2 at sea

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!


Unregistered, just back from your Cunard cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Cunard Line

Read hundreds of Cunard Cruise Reviews from cruisers like you.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:27 AM.
#1
184 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
This is still the smoothest crossing I have ever experienced. Hope it holds. Such long days also, sun is up around 5AM - although we don't see too much of it.....lst Cunard wedding at sea held in Chart Room at llam. Happy couple blew the noon whistle and had their first dance in the ballroom with the combined orchestras last night while the singer sang "Tenderly" ... band really rocked the ship last night-(big band night)..........By chance I was near former President George Bush and Barbara at the church service...In the Kings Court the Chef's gallery now does healthful foods for breakfast- freshly made juices and smoothies. At lunch, they now serve pizza and pasta........I don't come on the QM2 to have pizza, but from what I can see, it seems to be pretty popular.........At lunch, La Piazza and Carvery now serve basically the same lunch menu( like breakfast) with some slight variations.... this change seems like a cutback but it does seem to be working out fine and there is still an excellent selection of food.... I can see no decline in food quality in the Kings Court or the Britannia Restaurant.......I happened to look in on the late night snack around lam to find the best presentation and variety of food that I have ever seen since I have been sailing with the QM2......was a pleasant surprise.................Although I had seen if before, went to see "Warhorse" in Illuminations.......lovely setting to watch a film....Still meeting the most wonderful and interesting people onboard...took a dinner tablemate on a tour of the ship yesterday -he had saved a long time to do the round trip crossing and was not getting the whole experience..... so much fun playing tour guide....on the whole, the guest speakers are very good.....so far, still just having a grand time.
#2
3,596 Posts
Joined Jan 2010
Originally posted by Keuka Lake Sailor
This is still the smoothest crossing I have ever experienced. Hope it holds. Such long days also, sun is up around 5AM - although we don't see too much of it.....lst Cunard wedding at sea held in Chart Room at llam. Happy couple blew the noon whistle and had their first dance in the ballroom with the combined orchestras last night while the singer sang "Tenderly" ... band really rocked the ship last night-(big band night)..........By chance I was near former President George Bush and Barbara at the church service...In the Kings Court the Chef's gallery now does healthful foods for breakfast- freshly made juices and smoothies. At lunch, they now serve pizza and pasta........I don't come on the QM2 to have pizza, but from what I can see, it seems to be pretty popular.........At lunch, La Piazza and Carvery now serve basically the same lunch menu( like breakfast) with some slight variations.... this change seems like a cutback but it does seem to be working out fine and there is still an excellent selection of food.... I can see no decline in food quality in the Kings Court or the Britannia Restaurant.......I happened to look in on the late night snack around lam to find the best presentation and variety of food that I have ever seen since I have been sailing with the QM2......was a pleasant surprise.................Although I had seen if before, went to see "Warhorse" in Illuminations.......lovely setting to watch a film....Still meeting the most wonderful and interesting people onboard...took a dinner tablemate on a tour of the ship yesterday -he had saved a long time to do the round trip crossing and was not getting the whole experience..... so much fun playing tour guide....on the whole, the guest speakers are very good.....so far, still just having a grand time.
I didn't notice any decline in food quality when I was on board either. Good on you for taking that guy on a tour. There is so much to see, that you do tend to miss things on your first voyage.

QM2 - it's so addictive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen Mary 2 - Westbound Trans-Atlantic - Sailed on October 1st, 2010
Pacific Dawn - White Cloud Wonders - Sailed on November 19th, 2011
Queen Mary 2 - Royal Circumnavigation of Australia - Sailed on February 14th 2012
Queen Mary 2 - Singapore to Brisbane - Sailed on February 9th 2013
Queen Elizabeth - New York to Sydney - Sailed on January 10th 2014
#3
At Sea
5,109 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Whitemarsh
QM2 - it's so addictive.
Couldn't agree more!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Pepper.
QM2 - QE - QV - QE2 - interiors. QM2 cabin photos & ship tour. Crossings & Cruises - photographs here . . .
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepperrn/sets/
...over 3 million visits, thank you.
Sailed: QM2, QE, QV, QE2. Booked: QE, ...
#4
NYC
3,472 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
Thanks for the report on the first TA of the season. (Interesting that a former US President and First Lady are on board. I'll venture to guess that they are not staying in a D8! )
#5
Germany
134 Posts
Joined May 2008
I´m surprised the TA is so smooth. Everyone on board last week experiencing the rocky Biscay thought the next TA might be stormy. On the last day of the world cruise word spread that ex-Pres. Bush would board at Southampton and that he might be so afraid of the thousands of knifes on the ship he might rarely leave his suite;-)
War Horse, gosh, what a cheesy end that movie has.

I wish you a pleasant onward journey!
#6
Somerset, UK
9,573 Posts
Joined May 2006
Mr Bush Is in a suite as expected, he is in a wheel chair sadly , but is making use of the ship and went to church on Sunday and cpoke to several people
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Queen mary Long Beach 1991
Queen mary Long Beach 1999
Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic 2006
Queen Mary 2 Caribbean 2007
Queen Victoria Europe 2008
NCL Jade Europe 2008
RCI Independence o/t Seas Mediterranean 2008
Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic with QE2 2008
Queen Mary 2 Eastbound Transatlantic with QE2 2008
Queen Mary 2 Norway 2009
Queen Victoria Europe 2009
Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic 2009
Queen Mary 2 Caribbean 2009
Queen Mary 2 Europe 2010
Queen Mary 2 Norway 2010
Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic 2010
Queen Mary 2 New England/Canada 2010
Queen Mary 2 Eastbound Transatlantic
P&O Ventura Europe 2011
P&O Oceana Europe 2011
Queen Elizabeth Baltic Capitals 2011
Queen Mary 2 Westbound Transatlantic 2011
Queen Mary 2 Eastbound Transatlantic 2011
RCI Radiance o/t Seas Australia/New Zealand 2012
Queen Mary 2 Europe 2012
Queen Elizabeth Greek Islands 2012
NCL Epic Caribbean 2013
RCI Radiance o/t Seas Alaska 2013
Queen Mary 2 Eastbound Transatlantic 2014
MSC Fantasia Mediterranean 2014
Queen Victoria Norway 2014
RCI Adventure o/t Seas Mediterranean 2014
RCI Splendour o/t Seas Brazil and Eastbound Transatlantic 2015
MSC Preziosa Western Mediterranean 2015
Marco Polo Ireland 2015
MSC Fantasia Italy, Greece, Israel 2016
RCI Ovation o/t Seas inaugural cruise 2016
P&O Britannia Norway cruise 2016
MSC Splendida Northern Europe 2016
Celebrity Eclipse Westbound Transatlantic New York
Bermuda Bahamas and Miami 2016
MSC Preziosa Northern Europe 2017
MSC Musica Venice holiday then Greek islands 2017
MSC Splendida Mediterannean cruise 2017

Top Tier Diamond Member on Cunard
Top Tier Black Member on MSC
Emerald Royal Caribbean
Select Celebrity
#7
Virginia
18,924 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by rob6852
Mr Bush Is in a suite as expected, he is in a wheel chair sadly , but is making use of the ship and went to church on Sunday and cpoke to several people
I sure hope I am still cruising when I am 88!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


My Cruise Blogs
World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com
The Sail-Away Gang's Cruise - http://westerdam2015.blogspot.com/
Fall Foliage Cruise -http://fallfoliagecruise2015.blogspot.com/
South Pacific/North to Alaska - http://halcruises2016.blogspot.com/

Evangeline - Nassau - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - EB TA - 1962
Queen Mary - WB TA - 1962
Raffaello - Caribbean - 1968
MV Three Gorges - Yangtze River - 1988
Atlas - Nile River - 1995
Olympic - Aegean Sea - 1996
Constellation - Baltic Sea - 2005
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale - 2015

Westerdam - FLL to Seattle with the "Sail-away Gang" - 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Canada/New England - 2015
Westerdam - Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas with the "Pearls of the Pacific" - 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 2016
#8
North Carolina
3,632 Posts
Joined Aug 2002
Originally posted by Keuka Lake Sailor
..I happened to look in on the late night snack around lam to find the best presentation and variety of food that I have ever seen since I have been sailing with the QM2......was a pleasant surprise....
That sounds really nice. The only time we've looked in on KC late at night...it was teens only hanging out.
#9
184 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
The wind picked up overnight and it was raining quite hard this morning so some ship movement but no big deal. We are now in moderate seas..... RADA is back on board (missing on December T/A) and I heard only good things about their Canterbury Tales presentation yesterday...........Golden Lion Pub lunch has changed...at entrance is a menu that changes daily........yesterday it was Southern Fried Chicken, Thai Beef Curry, and a dessert special..........No computers in the library although the desks are still there.............there is a Liquor event today...between 9 and 1 any liquor you buy may be taken with you and consumed in the cabin.....we are well past the half way point now......soon it will be Friday morning..UGH.......
#10
NYC
3,472 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
New York has heavy rain this morning so you are sailing into the same storm system.

Interesting that there are no computers in the library. Nobody mentioned this post refit so perhaps almost everyone now uses their own laptop. I hope Connexions still has desktops or that would be a problem for those who need to print boarding passes before disembarking.
#11
North Idaho
1,740 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by Keuka Lake Sailor
...........Golden Lion Pub lunch has changed...at entrance is a menu that changes daily........yesterday it was Southern Fried Chicken, Thai Beef Curry, and a dessert special.......
Does that mean that they have daily specials and still have the same regular menu (Ploughman's, fish and chips, chicken Korma etc?), or that all you can get are the daily specials?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.whereissafarigal.wordpress.com

"Flying is but a fad. There will always be passengers for ships like the Queens"





Queen Mary 2 July 2016, Queen Mary 2 2015, Viking Sun July 2014; Queen Mary 2 October 2012; Veendam September 2012; Queen Elizabeth June 2012 X 2; Queen Victoria 2012; Queen Elizabeth 2011; Queen Mary 2 2010; Queen Mary 2 2009; QE2 2008; Queen Victoria 2008; Carnival Glory 2006; Paul Gauguin 2006; Sun Princess 2003; Sea Princess 2002; Rotterdam 2001; Majesty of the Seas 2000; Rotterdam 1999; Independence 1998; Dreamward 1997; Nordic Empress 1996; Atlantic 1995; Dawn Princess 1994; Majestic 1989; Vistafjord 1992; Maasdam 1992; Cunard Countess 1985; BI Dunera 1968; BI Devonia 1967; BI Kampala 1963; Hoogkerk 1963; Queen Elizabeth 1962; P&O Iberia 1962; P&O Cathay 1962; BI Uganda 1961; Rotterdam 1961; City of Durban 1959; Europa 1959; Africa 1958; Dunottar Castle 1958; Warwick Castle 1958; BI Karanja 1957; Pretoria Castle 1956; BI Uganda 1956
#13
184 Posts
Joined Jul 2011
The traditional pub lunch so heavily promoted in recent years is now history. You can only get the daily lunch specials posted at the entrance. I looked again yesterday but cannot remember what they were offering off hand but plenty of passengers were eating there. I am going to try to check out the chefs gallery today where the daily lunch menu consists of freshly made pizza and a freshly made pasta dish. Smells pretty good around there but service seems slow but at looks like it might be popular with passengers.
#14
Germany
134 Posts
Joined May 2008
I wonder if the midships portside tender/lifeboat that was missing on the world cruise has been brought back on board.


Originally posted by mariepr
New York has heavy rain this morning so you are sailing into the same storm system.

Interesting that there are no computers in the library. Nobody mentioned this post refit so perhaps almost everyone now uses their own laptop. I hope Connexions still has desktops or that would be a problem for those who need to print boarding passes before disembarking.
There are plenty of desktops in Connexions, I used them regularly in the past weeks.
#16
North Idaho
1,740 Posts
Joined Dec 2007
Originally posted by Keuka Lake Sailor
The traditional pub lunch so heavily promoted in recent years is now history. You can only get the daily lunch specials posted at the entrance. I looked again yesterday but cannot remember what they were offering off hand but plenty of passengers were eating there. I am going to try to check out the chefs gallery today where the daily lunch menu consists of freshly made pizza and a freshly made pasta dish. Smells pretty good around there but service seems slow but at looks like it might be popular with passengers.
Thanks for the information. I suppose serving the same lunch for several years now has been boring for some, and they will enjoy the change. I will miss the traditional fare tho'!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
www.whereissafarigal.wordpress.com

"Flying is but a fad. There will always be passengers for ships like the Queens"





Queen Mary 2 July 2016, Queen Mary 2 2015, Viking Sun July 2014; Queen Mary 2 October 2012; Veendam September 2012; Queen Elizabeth June 2012 X 2; Queen Victoria 2012; Queen Elizabeth 2011; Queen Mary 2 2010; Queen Mary 2 2009; QE2 2008; Queen Victoria 2008; Carnival Glory 2006; Paul Gauguin 2006; Sun Princess 2003; Sea Princess 2002; Rotterdam 2001; Majesty of the Seas 2000; Rotterdam 1999; Independence 1998; Dreamward 1997; Nordic Empress 1996; Atlantic 1995; Dawn Princess 1994; Majestic 1989; Vistafjord 1992; Maasdam 1992; Cunard Countess 1985; BI Dunera 1968; BI Devonia 1967; BI Kampala 1963; Hoogkerk 1963; Queen Elizabeth 1962; P&O Iberia 1962; P&O Cathay 1962; BI Uganda 1961; Rotterdam 1961; City of Durban 1959; Europa 1959; Africa 1958; Dunottar Castle 1958; Warwick Castle 1958; BI Karanja 1957; Pretoria Castle 1956; BI Uganda 1956
#17
Northern Ireland
409 Posts
Joined Aug 2004
Have you been told how near the final resting place of the Titanic you are?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
QE2 Baltic July/August 1996
Oriana Mediterranean May/June 1997
QE2 Northern Europe July 1998
QE2 Mediterranean May1999
QE2 Fjords August 2000
QE2 Fjords June/July 2001
QE2 Fjords July 2002
QE2 Mediterranean September 2002
QE2 Westbound Transatlantic June 2003
Norwegian Dawn Florida/Bahamas June/July 2003
QE2 Eastbound Transatlantic July 2003
QE2 Canaries September 2004
QE2 Mediterranean June 2005
QE2 Trafalgar Celebration June 2005
QE2 Norway and Iceland July 2006
QE2 40th Anniversary Cruise September 2007
QE2 Farewell to British Isles September 2008
QM2 Full World Cruise 2010
QM2 Full World Cruise 2013
QM2 Westbound Transatlantic August 2014
QM2 Eastbound Transatlantic September 2014
#18
St. Augustine, FL
6,750 Posts
Joined Sep 2006
Originally posted by QE2 fan
Have you been told how near the final resting place of the Titanic you are?
We sailed right over it in April 2005. The Captain told us when we were over the site.

Funny enough....people were taking pictures of the water where the Titanic sank. LOL! I bet they were scratching their heads when they got home and looked at those photos! LOL
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature



SUSAN AND CHUCK
Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away
!


CARNIVAL, CUNARD, ROYAL CARIBBEAN, CELEBRITY, PRINCESS, MSC
#19
Virginia
18,924 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
Originally posted by QM1
There are plenty of desktops in Connexions, I used them regularly in the past weeks.
Do the desktops have SD card readers?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature


My Cruise Blogs
World Voyage Blog - http://kathisworldvoyage.blogspot.com/
A Winter Crossing - http://cunard2015.blogspot.com
The Sail-Away Gang's Cruise - http://westerdam2015.blogspot.com/
Fall Foliage Cruise -http://fallfoliagecruise2015.blogspot.com/
South Pacific/North to Alaska - http://halcruises2016.blogspot.com/

Evangeline - Nassau - 1960
Johan Van Oldenbarnevelt - EB TA - 1962
Queen Mary - WB TA - 1962
Raffaello - Caribbean - 1968
MV Three Gorges - Yangtze River - 1988
Atlas - Nile River - 1995
Olympic - Aegean Sea - 1996
Constellation - Baltic Sea - 2005
Disney Fantasy - Caribbean - 2012
Queen Elizabeth - World Voyage 2014
Queen Elizabeth - Southampton to Fort Lauderdale - 2015

Westerdam - FLL to Seattle with the "Sail-away Gang" - 2015
Liberty of the Seas - Canada/New England - 2015
Westerdam - Hawaii, Tahiti, and the Marquesas with the "Pearls of the Pacific" - 2016
Nieuw Amsterdam - Alaska - 2016