Red Carnations

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Spain Ports
Barcelona, Ibiza, Mallorca, Seville
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 02:19 AM.
Beaufort, SC
112 Posts
Joined Oct 2010
Has anyone encountered people giving or selling red carnations in Lisbon, Portugal or Malaga, Spain? We were approached twice last week and I wondered whether it might be a thievery or pickpocket scheme. I'm just curious. patty3
Vancouver, BC
1,282 Posts
Joined Jun 2010
Originally posted by patty3
Has anyone encountered people giving or selling red carnations in Lisbon, Portugal or Malaga, Spain? We were approached twice last week and I wondered whether it might be a thievery or pickpocket scheme. I'm just curious. patty3
I had to Google this. The red carnations are a symbol of the 1974 Portuguese revolution.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/object...ldipad0426.DTL
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2010 - Oceania, Insignia - Lisbon to Rome (12 days)
2008 - NCL, Norwegian Star, Vancouver to Seattle (3 days)
2007 - NCL, Norwegian Pearl, Cruise to No Where (3 days)
2004 - Royal Caribbean, Voyager of the Seas, Alaska (7 days)
U.S.A.
145 Posts
Joined Apr 2008
This is most definitely a pickpocket scam! Check out THIS LINK for more information and an in-depth description of the scam and how it works, or simply Google "red carnation pickpocket scam Spain" and you'll see tons and tons of links about this ruse! So beware!!