Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Air

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 30th, 2012, 08:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Passport Control at Gatwick

We will be flying into Gatwick on May 13. On tonights TV news they had a story about 2hr+ lines at Heathrow to get through passport control. Is it as bad at Gatwick? Should we be concerned? We arrive around 7:30am and have reservations with National Express to Southampton for 10:10am. Should we change to a later time?

Thanks in advance

<<<Karen>>>

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

It is frequently bad at Gatwick though I have never experienced a 2 hour delay there though it took us more than 2 hours ar Miami a few weeks ago. I would have thought you should be OK if you know where to go to pick up your transport. We will be going through Gatwick a week today, I will let you know if it is really bad.

&ship

Old May 1st, 2012, 07:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

2 hours is not the usual delay. This time it was caused by too few border staff being available at a time when a lot of flights landed at the same time due to weather issues. Normally for non EU it should not be more than 45 minutes to 1 hour maximum - this is at Heathrow.

For what it's worth, the relevent Government department says it is working on the issue.

Even though it is the same department responsible (Border Agency), Gatwick does seem to fare better with the queues at immigration. Arriving at 7.30am there are usually plenty of immigration officers on duty as this is one of the peak arrival times.
Just done:
Royal Princess, 2 night preview, 14th June 2013
Royal Princess, MAIDEN CRUISE, Iberia, 7 nights, 16th June 2013
124 days completed and counting.
28 Captain's Circle Credits.
I don't have any Toblerones.

Old May 1st, 2012, 12:29 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkkapp View Post
We will be flying into Gatwick on May 13. On tonights TV news they had a story about 2hr+ lines at Heathrow to get through passport control. Is it as bad at Gatwick? Should we be concerned? We arrive around 7:30am and have reservations with National Express to Southampton for 10:10am. Should we change to a later time?

Thanks in advance

<<<Karen>>>
Only country I've ever waited 2+ hours to enter is the USA (on multiple occasions; by land, sea and air)

2015/10 Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas - Transatlantic
2014/04 Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Transatlantic
2012/11 Celebrity Equinox - Transatlantic
2011/09 Holland America Westerdam - Pacific Coastal
2010/11 Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas - Transatlantic
2008/12 Celebrity Mercury - Hawaii
2008/09 Celebrity Millennium - Northwest
2007/09 Island Princess - Pacific Coastal
2006/09 Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas - Alaska
2005/10 Celebrity Galaxy - Transatlantic
2003/11 Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas - W.Caribbean

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I've been through Heathrow several times in the past few weeks, and border controls have been horrendous - way, way worse than I've experienced in many years of travel through London. Ten days ago my queue took around 90 min. to the passport kiosks at T5. My flight from Oslo was quicker.

(In front of me was a woman who works for the IOC, on her way to a meeting with the London Olympics Organizing Committee. She was on her mobile phone to them explaining that she was going to miss her meeting owing to the delays at immigration. She, and from what I could gather, they, were pretty hot about it, and had vengeance on their minds. Go for it, sister!)

There aren't as many reports from LGW, but those there are are mostly saying the same thing - hour to two-hour waits not uncommon. The problem is staff shortages at UKBA, compounded by what's becoming a rather obvious work-to-rule posture by the staff.

Personally I'd probably move to a later transfer. If you get through quicker, chances are that National Express could put you on the next bus.

Last edited by Gardyloo; May 1st, 2012 at 01:11 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 1st, 2012, 02:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Fly through Gatwick often and we never had more than one person in front of us to through passport control. We usually arrive from Orlando around 7 am .

Old May 1st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We prefer to fly into Gatwick rather than Heathrow, mainly because of the long lines and delays always associated with LHR. The last time we were in LGW was in Late October, arriving around 7:30 AM. We had no problems at all with immigration and after doing all that we needed to do, were with our car service before 9AM.

Mary

Old May 1st, 2012, 08:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks!!!

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. We feel better about Gatwick now and should have enough time to get through passport control and still make our National Express connection. At worst we can take a later bus as we have that option.

To those of you who waited in long lines over here, we feel your pain. Last year returning from Rome we spent almost 2 hours in line for passport control and customs only to then have to go through TSA security (shoes off, everything out of the carry-on) again even though we never left the secured area .

<<<Karen>>>

Old May 1st, 2012, 11:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Last year returning from Rome we spent almost 2 hours in line for passport control and customs only to then have to go through TSA security (shoes off, everything out of the carry-on) again even though we never left the secured area .
You were rescreened because you had access to your checked baggage. It was possible for you to have put a banned item in that bag and retrieved it after you picked up the bag before customs. Or received it from someone else who had it in their bag.

In a sense, although you were in the customs area, you were no longer "sterile" because of the checked luggage.

FWIW, many international airports require rescreening even if you have not had access to luggage or entered a non-sterile area.

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan

Old May 2nd, 2012, 08:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

FlyerTalker-

Never thought of it in that way. Yes, we retrieved our checked baggage and then gave it over to someone to be put on our next flight. Never thought about getting something out of it or putting something in it. I guess we won't make very good t.....ts .

<<<Karen>>>

Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:28 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Never thought of it in that way. Yes, we retrieved our checked baggage and then gave it over to someone to be put on our next flight. Never thought about getting something out of it or putting something in it.
If you purchase any liquids at duty-free, you can/must put it into your checked bag at the transfer point. You can't keep it in your carryon, but you can now put it into checked baggage for the rest of your journey.

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. We feel better about Gatwick now and should have enough time to get through passport control and still make our National Express connection. At worst we can take a later bus as we have that option.

To those of you who waited in long lines over here, we feel your pain. Last year returning from Rome we spent almost 2 hours in line for passport control and customs only to then have to go through TSA security (shoes off, everything out of the carry-on) again even though we never left the secured area .

<<<Karen>>>
Well, at least you weren't fingerprinted, too!
Celebrity - 56 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
"I must go down to the seas again, to the lonely sea and the sky. And all I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by." (John Masefield: "Sea Fever.")

Old May 14th, 2012, 12:44 PM
10,000+ Club

We went through Heathrow on 4/30, and there were about 500 of us in line, with the front 250 being there for over 2 hours. More than a nightmare.

Anyway, we stayed in the UK for 8 days after, and the problems for Immigration was the top story pretty much the whole time we were there. Gatwick was also in the news.

However, the word was they were adding staff over that week between 5/1 and 5/8, so maybe it's better now.

We have connected with National Express on two other trips into London, and they are accommodating about delays. By now they are probably used to panicked passengers arriving at the central bus depot too late. I am sure they will let you get on the next bus if it's not full.

Everyone in the transportation business out of the London airports is dealing with this. I was on the phone 3 times with our transfer service. They were very good about it all, and said they'd been keeping a driver near the airport at all times because people just couldn't get through the immigration line within the "normal" window of time.

Next up: Equinox and Allure in 2015. Yay!!.

My avatar: Sun Viking circa 1974

Old May 14th, 2012, 05:05 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Last year returning from Rome we spent almost 2 hours in line for passport control and customs only to then have to go through TSA security (shoes off, everything out of the carry-on) again even though we never left the secured area .

<<<Karen>>>
Passengers boarding flights to the US have to meet TSA requirements. There's no quick and easy way for them to know the level of screening that passengers received at their originating airport. So the default is to re-screen everyone.

I seem to recall that was how the Christmas "underwear bomber" slipped through the system and in the case of baggage screening it's how the Lockerbie bomb got on board. Both originated at an airport with very lax security, then connected through one or more airports without re-screening. My recollection may not be 100% accurate. Now, I have issues with how TSA does business, but given it "is what it is", re-screening international connecting passengers makes sense.
Carnival Paradise, Baja- January 2007
HAL Zaandam, Alaska- July 2008
HAL Oosterdam, Sea of Cortez- April 2010
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 1- November 2012
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 2- November 2013

Last edited by kenish; May 14th, 2012 at 05:09 PM.

Old May 14th, 2012, 05:38 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenish View Post
... and in the case of baggage screening it's how the Lockerbie bomb got on board. Both originated at an airport with very lax security, then connected through one or more airports without re-screening. My recollection may not be 100% accurate.
Pan Am 103 originated in FRA, and was a change of equipment in LHR; both of which are not airports with 'very lax security'.

British security was, until the US was attacked in 2001, was much much more strict than US TSA.

2015/10 Royal Caribbean Allure of the Seas - Transatlantic
2014/04 Royal Caribbean Independence of the Seas - Transatlantic
2012/11 Celebrity Equinox - Transatlantic
2011/09 Holland America Westerdam - Pacific Coastal
2010/11 Royal Caribbean Adventure of the Seas - Transatlantic
2008/12 Celebrity Mercury - Hawaii
2008/09 Celebrity Millennium - Northwest
2007/09 Island Princess - Pacific Coastal
2006/09 Royal Caribbean Vision of the Seas - Alaska
2005/10 Celebrity Galaxy - Transatlantic
2003/11 Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas - W.Caribbean