Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Norwegian Cruise Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Norwegian Cruise Line
- Read thousands of Norwegian Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Norwegian Cruise Deals
- Write a Norwegian Cruise Review
- Find Your Norwegian Roll Call
See posts about:
Norwegian Bliss
Norwegian Escape
Norwegian Jewel
Norwegian Spirit

Norwegian Breakaway
Norwegian Gem
Norwegian Pearl
Norwegian Star

Norwegian Dawn
Norwegian Getaway
Pride of America
Norwegian Sun

Norwegian Epic
Norwegian Jade
Norwegian Sky

Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default A Few Questions....

So a few questions for you pro's -

I'm sailing in Nov. out of NYC on a Sunday. Arriving Nassua on Wed., GSC on thurs and Orlando on Fri. Anyone else do this itinery? wondering when I can expect it to be warm enough for a pool day. I'm thinking Tues. would be the first warm enough day. Thoughts?

In reading about chair hogs, how is it on days at sea? Are the chairs still all taken up??

For entertainment, is there usually one show per night or two? So if I wanted to see Blue man group (just an example) is it usually offered once per night or twice?? Do you need to get on line early for these shows, even though you have a reservation?

For the specialty restaurants, how long are you usually in them?? wondering about booking shows and dinner reservations. If a show starts at 7, what is enough time to alot for dinner?

I know my questions are all over the place.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I am assuming that you are sailing on the Jewel. I sailed on her in Feb & did your itinerary, there were 2 shows nightly one at 7:30 & the second one at 9:30. No Blue Man Group on the Jewel I believe that show is only on the Epic. We found dinner took longer in Teppanki(sp) the Japanese restaurant. We sailed out of NYC on Saturday, Sunday was warmer but Monday was the first pool day.

Last edited by dutchess43; May 2nd, 2012 at 01:20 PM.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:23 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEPE View Post
So a few questions for you pro's -

I'm sailing in Nov. out of NYC on a Sunday. Arriving Nassua on Wed., GSC on thurs and Orlando on Fri. Anyone else do this itinery? wondering when I can expect it to be warm enough for a pool day. I'm thinking Tues. would be the first warm enough day. Thoughts?

In reading about chair hogs, how is it on days at sea? Are the chairs still all taken up??

For entertainment, is there usually one show per night or two? So if I wanted to see Blue man group (just an example) is it usually offered once per night or twice?? Do you need to get on line early for these shows, even though you have a reservation?

For the specialty restaurants, how long are you usually in them?? wondering about booking shows and dinner reservations. If a show starts at 7, what is enough time to alot for dinner?

I know my questions are all over the place.
There will probably be people by the pool on the first sea day, warm enough to be in swimwear that afternoon....unless of course Mother Nature throws a cold front your way.

There are usually 2 main shows each evening 7:30 and 9:30. I would plan about 2 hours in a specialty restaurant, 1.5 in the main dining rooms...It may not take that long, but it could. Usually one of the main dining rooms opens at 5, and the other at 5:30....and specialties at 5:30. Remember you can split your meal up at the main dining room and eat the apps and entree before the show, and go back for dessert after the show.

I don't believe you'll be seeing the Blue Man group on a ship out of NY, I believe currently the only ship you can make reservations for entertainment on is the EPIC.

Chair hogs are quite busy on sea days saving all the chairs they can. Best idea is if you see a chair unattended for 30 minutes is to move the stuff off the chair (or ask an attendant to do it) and then move the entire chair a bit and hop in.

<*}}}}>< <*}}}}>< <*}}}}>< <*}}}}><
.........<*}}}}><
><{{{{*> <*}}}}><...........
...................<*}}}}>
< <*}}}}><...................

Old May 2nd, 2012, 10:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks you both for the responses. Great advice. Happy to know we'll be in bathing suits by Monday afternoon

I love the idea of dinner, a show and then dessert!! Thanks for that.

When I mentioned chairs, I actually meant port days. I would hope on Port days it will be easier to get chairs?? We probably will only get off the ship in GSC.

Thank you again, for taking the time to reply and for the great advice!!

Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

You will have absolutely no problems getting a chair on the port days, as most people will be off the ship enjoying the ports. You should definitely rethink staying on the ship while you are in Orlando and Nassau, there is lots to do in port. Enjoy the cruise..!

Old May 2nd, 2012, 11:22 PM
5,000+ Club

You are probably sailing on Gem, right? Jewel has left NY for repo last Saturday, when we got off.

I am not sure about Gem, as we never sailed on her, but on Jewel (sister ship) pools were nicely heated so we could swim from the day #1. Niiiiice.

Both ports P. Canaveral and Nassau were really nice ones... while in GSC it was windy, we almost didn't make it, and when we did, there were waves, and tons of seaweed and wind.. so...

We also had very stormy weather on the way down to Bahamas (1-st sea day). Ship was rock&rolling, so they had to close the pools at some point.

All and all we had wonderful cruise, great entertainment all around, in the Theater and in the other areas.
(Platinum) - Splendor(04) ~ Explorer(07,09,10) ~ Brilliance(13)
Celebrity - Century (03,07) ~ Mercury(05)
Holland America - Zuiderdam(04)
Carnival - Liberty(05) ~ Miracle(11) ~
Glory(13)
MSC - Poesia(13) review
~ Divina(14)
River Cruises
USSR
- Комарно (90,91)