Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old May 3rd, 2012, 05:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

My DH also doesn't like cruising, but I nagged him into it this summer with tales of "let's see the Mayan ruins while the kids are in the kids club." He's more of a hiker/outdoorsy type. He goes on hikes with the guys and I have gone on cruises with a girlfriend (whose husband also doesn't like to cruise.) That will end for me though because not my fault I got a sinus infection last cruise with her and "I was no fun". Sorry chills and nausea will do that to you (the Z pac is very powerful 1st dose!).

But with my 2 DD's getting older I may take just them if they like to cruise, or suck it up and pay 200% for solo price.

Carnival Destiny 11/2011
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas 7/2010
Carnival Destiny 10/2009
Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas 1/2009
Carnival Inspiration 10/2006
Holland America Zuiderdam 6/2004

Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

When we booked the first cruise last year, DH was not looking forward to it. He thought that he would feel confined on the ship. Well he loved it and is very much looking forward to our next cruise. So if you can get him to go with you, he might turn out to like it.

05-15-2011 Carnival Pride
12-02-2012 Carnival Pride
06-02-2013 Carnival Valor

Old May 3rd, 2012, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

We made a deal years ago...I wont bug him to cruise with me if he doesnt bug me to go fishing with him. I do invite him every time I get ready to book a cruise, just in case he changes his mind.

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

My DH has gone on all of our cruises. He could care less either way. We returned home from the Pride two weeks ago and he said he does not want to go on another one for awhile We had a great time he just could careless. Our DS will graduate from high school next year and I wanted to do one more cruise next April for a grad. gift and before he goes off to college. DH said he does not want to go and for the two of us to go no problem. DH said it will be a vacation for him to be home without us

Norway,198?

Carnival, Holiday 1989
Disney, Wonder 2002
RCCL, Serenade of the Seas, April 2005
Carnival Legend, April 2008
Carnival Freedom, April 2010
Carnival Liberty, April 2011
Carnival Pride, April 2012
Carnival Dream, April 2013
Carnival Glory, December 2013

"If the phones for me you can tell them I've just sailed away" Alan Jackson-It's Five O'clock Somewhere.

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Mine was a slightly different problem.

My EX introduced me to cruising and got me hooked. The problem I kept running into was that he was insistant on occupying all 3 of his vacation weeks around NASCAR races. I could never get him to give up one week for us to cruise. When he finally got a 4th week, I thought for sure I'd be home free.....but instead he decided to pull out the NASCAR schedule and find a new race to attend.

Then the other excuse I would hear, would be money. All vacation money had to be spend for racing and then only if there was anything left could we talk about a different vacation.

Left the man and never looked back!

07/2014 Carnival Victory Miami, Key West, Cozumel
04/2014 Carnival Imagination Long Beach, Catalina, Ensenada
02/2014 Carnival Sunshine New Orleans, Belize, Roatan, Cozumel - John Heald's Blogger's Cruise
02/2013 Carnival Imagination Miami, Cozumel, Key West - Platinum!!!!
06/2012 Carnival Glory Boston, St. John, Halifax
10/2011 Carnival Legend Tampa, Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, Grand Cayman
11/2010 Carnival Victory San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, Barbados, St. Maarten
10/2010 Carnival Inspiration Tampa, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
11/2009 Carnival Freedom Ft. Lauderdale, Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama
11/2006 Carnival Sensation Pt. Canaveral, Freeport, Nassau
02/2006 Celebrity Zenith Miami, Grand Cayman, Key West (I cheated on Carnival)
08/2004 Carnival Paradise Miami, Cozumel, Belize, Honduras, Costa Maya - Thank you Hurricane Charley!
09/2003 Carnival Inspiration Tampa, Grand Cayman, Belize, Costa Maya, Cozumel
08/2002 Carnival Victory Miami, San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten

Last edited by gone_cruisin; May 4th, 2012 at 10:29 PM.

Old May 4th, 2012, 10:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzerDeb View Post
So, does anyone have a spouse that's not really into cruising?

For my first cruise, I took my then 15 and 13 year-old daughters on a spring break trip. DH prefers to ski. Spring break was late in the season (like April 12), so skiing was out for the girls. He went skiing in March and we went cruising in April (2009). I must say, this was the BEST vacation I ever took (with or without DH).

We're now planning our second Girls' Cruise for next June. Again, DH would rather spend his vacation money skiing (he says he'll die of he doesn't get to ski out West). For background, I've gone on at least 10 ski trips out West with him (and our girls went several times). I don't enjoy skiing anymore. Too much work!

He says that he'll cruise with my in the future when it's just he and I, but I have my doubts.

Reading all the great threads here and seeing all the pictures of couples enjoying the cruising experience together really makes me sad. So what do you do if your spouse doesn't like to cruise?
I love to cruise and my husband is just not into it. He will go if I really want him to go but he has no problem with me going without him. He goes stir crazy on the sea days. He did cruise with me in 2011 and he is going on a 7 night cruise with me in March 2013. I enjoy vacationing very much with my husband and that is why we always have at least 1 vacation together a year. This year we are flying to Costa Rica in June.
If your husband doesn't have a problem with you cruising without him and you have no problem with him skiing without you, I say keep it up but try to make time for a little getaway for just the two of you every so often.

Old May 4th, 2012, 11:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thats what we do too. My husband enjoysncruising but niot near as much as I do. I have taken one with each of my 3 adult children, and have one planned in August with my daughter again and one next march with my sister. I enjoy going with the hubby too but we are both teachers at different schools and our Spring breaks do not always mesh. This works for us. Some with...some without!

Glory-Eastern (Kota/Haley Family cruise x20) March,2016
Sunshine- Exotic Western (Mom, Cindy, & I ) Mar.,2015
Miracle- Mexican Riviera (Todd & I) Dec., 2014
Liberty-Western (Corbin/Crystal Family Cruise x12). March,2013
Liberty- Eastern ( Cindy & I ) ............. Aug,2012
Valor- Exotic Eastern (Melanie & I) ... Nov, 2011
Dream- Eastern (Corbin, Crystal & I)......March, 2010
Dream- Western (Todd, Kota, & I) ..............March, 2009
Fascination- Bahamas (Kota, Mom, Dad, &I ) April, 2008
Conquest-Western (Todd & I) ................... February, 2003

Old May 5th, 2012, 02:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
So, does anyone have a spouse that's not really into cruising?... So what do you do if your spouse doesn't like to cruise?
My ex was not into cruising at all. That's one of the big reasons she's an ex.

Past cruises: Fantasy 11-23-00 ~ Sensation 10-12-08 ~ Liberty 09-26-09 ~ Triumph 12-07-09 ~ Triumph 08-28-10 ~ Valor 9-25-11 ~ Fascination B2B 12-5-11 & 12-10-11 ~ Ecstasy B2B 1-16-12 & 1-21-12 ~ Liberty 3-24-12 ~ Valor 5-12-12 ~ Freedom 9-22-12 ~ Breeze 12-2-12 ~ Breeze 1-13-13 ~ Breeze 3-16-13 ~ Allure of the Seas 9-29-13 ~ NCL Epic 11-29-13 ~ Sunshine B2B 2-16-14 & 2-23-14 ~ Ecstasy 5-01-14 ~ Glory 5-17-14 ~ Liberty 6-28-14 ~

Next up: CCPPF Group Cruise Carnival Magic, Thanksgiving on Glory, Christmas on Oasis of the Seas, BC8 on Breeze, CCPPF Group Cruise II Carnival Dream

Old May 5th, 2012, 06:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

My non cruising husband isn't mine, but my best friends. She and I love traveling and especially cruising, but her husband is like my late husband was, a stay at home kind of guy. He will drive us to the airport and pick us up and wants to know all about our latest adventure, but never showed any interest in going himself. For their 25 wedding anniversary my friend surprised him by booking a cruise on the Dream for the two of them. She was so excited. He hated it. Never wanted to do anything but sit on their cove balcony and smoke his cigars ( bet their "neighbors" loved that !! ) . Never went to a show, a deck party,nothing.... She sat in the room playing solitare. He said , "never again !!" when they got home and she and I are happily planning our next cruise while her husband can't thank me enough for being her cruise buddy and sparing him the torture of another week at sea !!!

Old May 5th, 2012, 11:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

My DW has now gone on several cruises, but now insists that the quality of the dining has gone down to such a point that she does not want to cruise again for some time. My 7 year old son and I both would choose cruising every time, and I could not imagine going on a seperate vacation.

Our solution is that we will alternate vacation destinations annually, of course with some influence and planning of the other spouse. So it would appear that one year will be land based and the next will be on the seas.

PS I have to agree with her that our last two cruises, (Valor 03/11 and Liberty 03/12).....the quality of many of the food items seems to have regressed.

I am a big fan of the Carnival 2.0 changes however...
RCL Monarch of the Seas- Bahamas - Nov 2004
CCL Carnival Spirit -Hawaii/TransPacific- Oct 2007
CCL Carnival Destiny- E Caribbean - Nov 2009
CCL Carnival Valor-W Caribbean - Apr 2011
CCL Carnival Liberty 2.0-E Caribbean- Apr 2012
CCL Carnival Valor-Southern Caribbean- Apr 2014

We Have the Cruising Bug!

Old May 5th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

My DW has had trouble with the patch last cruise and she is now anti cruise. We are going
on a cruise this August but only reason she is going is my daughter is going with her family and wants DW and I along. It will be her first cruise. I am going to keep feeding her Ginger
tabs and NO PATCH....Hope it works.

Old May 5th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

OP I know exactly how you feel! When your best friend doesn't share that passion it is sad, I know first hand. Sure, going with the girls is fun, but its not the same. I'm always a bit jealous of the happy couples who share this addiction.

Carnival Destiny 4-2-2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1620562
Carnival Imagination 12-5-2011
Carnival Triumph 7-9-2011
Carnival Inspiration 9-11-2010
Carnival Fascination 10-31-2009
Carnival Sensation 6-14-2009
Carnvial Inspiration 3-19-2009 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ht=inspiration
Carnival Sensation 3-30-2008
Carnival Imagination 11-15 2007
Carnival Fantasy 4-2-2007
Sovereign of the Seas 2-2005
Carnival Imagination 8-2004
Carnival Sensation 5-2004

Old May 5th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by reno3 View Post
My DH has gone on all of our cruises. He could care less either way. We returned home from the Pride two weeks ago and he said he does not want to go on another one for awhile We had a great time he just could careless. Our DS will graduate from high school next year and I wanted to do one more cruise next April for a grad. gift and before he goes off to college. DH said he does not want to go and for the two of us to go no problem. DH said it will be a vacation for him to be home without us
Now DH says he wants to go I was ready to book one of those cabins with the real loooong balconies for two!!!

Norway,198?

Carnival, Holiday 1989
Disney, Wonder 2002
RCCL, Serenade of the Seas, April 2005
Carnival Legend, April 2008
Carnival Freedom, April 2010
Carnival Liberty, April 2011
Carnival Pride, April 2012
Carnival Dream, April 2013
Carnival Glory, December 2013

"If the phones for me you can tell them I've just sailed away" Alan Jackson-It's Five O'clock Somewhere.

Last edited by reno3; May 5th, 2012 at 07:44 PM.

Old May 5th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by partman57 View Post
My DW has had trouble with the patch last cruise and she is now anti cruise. We are going
on a cruise this August but only reason she is going is my daughter is going with her family and wants DW and I along. It will be her first cruise. I am going to keep feeding her Ginger
tabs and NO PATCH....Hope it works.
Is she not able to take meclizine (Bonine) orally? It can work wonders taken once daily at bedtime (starting the night before the cruise), even for folks who have had unwanted side effects from the patch.
Of course I am NOT trying to give you medical advise, just a tip you may want to check into! Have a great cruise in August

Premier Royale ~ Bahamas '88 ~ RCCL Song of America ~ Bermuda '97
RCCL Nordic Empress ~ Bermuda '98 & '99 ~ Carnival Destiny ~ carrib '00
Celeb Horizon ~ Bermuda '00 ~ Carnival Triumph ~ carrib '01
Celeb Horizon ~ Bermuda '02 ~ Princess ~ carrib '03
NCL Dawn ~ bahamas '04 ~ Celeb Zenith ~ Bermuda '04
NCL Dawn ~ bahamas '05 ~ HAL Noordam ~ sth. carib '06
RCCL Explorer ~ Bermuda '06 ~ HAL Noordam ~ sth. carib '07
Celeb Summit ~ Bermuda '10
Carnival Miracle Bermuda '11 Miracle 9/27/2011 Bermuda Cruise Review
HAL Veendam ~ Bermuda '12 & Link to my Veendam Review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=35193644#post35193644
Carnival Ecstasy ~ '12+'13 & Link to my 2013 Ecstasy Photo review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1788306
Celeb Summit ~ Bermuda Aug '13 ~ RCCL ExplorerOTS ~ carrib '14. 154 days at sea! 21 more coming up!

I just found out there's no such thing as the real world just a lie you got to rise above...~ John Mayer
Regrets and mistakes, they're memories made...~ Adele

Old May 5th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have empathy for you....my DH was the same way, couldn't get him convinced, just kept saying it would be boring, he didn't want to be cooped up on a ship..yada, yada. Finally I took the plunge and just booked a cruise, told him he HAD to try it, if he didn't like it we wouldn't do it again.....guess what? He is a bigger cruise addict than me. The minute he walks onto the ship he wants to book the next one....his excitement beats mine each and every time (and he doesn't get too excited over very much). So for those who haven't "tried" cruising....just book one and see what happens!!! It worked for me.
CCL - VALOR - Feb 2005 (Western Carib.)
CCL - VICTORY- Jan 2006 (Western Carib.)
DIAMOND PRINCESS -Sept 2006 (Alaska - Fairbanks, Denali, Inner Passage)
CCL- DESTINY - Dec 2009 (Western Carib.)
CCL- SPLENDOR - Feb 2010 (Mexican Riviera)
CCL - MIRACLE - Feb 2011 (Curacao, Aruba, Grand Turk, La Romana)
RCI - ADVENTURE of the SEAS - Dec 2011 (Barbados)
CCL - BREEZE - Oct 2012 (Med:Barcelona to Venice)
CCL - GLORY - Feb 2013 (Belize, Coz, Roatan, G. Cayman)
CCL - GLORY - June 2013 (Canada)
NCL - EPIC - Dec 2013 (Eastern Caribbean)
CCL - VICTORY - Dec 2013 (Jamaica, G. Cayman)
RCI - JEWEL of the SEAS - Jan 2015 (San Juan,Martinique,Grenada, St Lucia, Antigua)
CCL - VALOR - Jan 2015 (Barbados, St Kitts, St Lucia, St Thomas, St Maarten)
RCI - ENCHANTMENT OTS - Nov 2015 (Bahamas - Coco Cay, Nassau)
RCI - ALLURE OTS - Feb 2016 (Falmouth, Labadee, Cozumel)

Old May 5th, 2012, 09:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default absence makes the heart grow fonder

My husband will not consider a cruise. He thinks it is unsafe to travel outside of the U.S. He isn't happy I go out of the country, so I made a deal with him to only cruise the Caribbean or Mexico while he is still living. Altho right now, Mexico isn't where I want to go. He did say he would do an Alaskan cruise, knowing I would never go where it was cold. So, my sister & I have happily cruised without him for the past 10 years, and will continue this September. We take vacations together, just us or with our kids and grandkids. He generally goes to the races in Talladega when I cruise in April (usually) or visits family in Tn. when we cruise in Sept. It works.

Last edited by canlin1; May 5th, 2012 at 10:02 PM.

Old May 5th, 2012, 10:14 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I spend alot of time with him fishing. He spends alot of time with me cruising. Give and take.. married almost 33 years.
Celebrity Galaxy 9/99 Alaska
Royal's, Viking Serenade 6/00 Baja
Celebrity.Millennium,(Christmas 2000)Cabin#9099 W. Carib
Royal's Vision of the Seas 2/02 Mex Riv
Royal's Vision of the Seas (Christmas 2002) Mex Riv
Royal's Monarch 6/03 Baja
Celebrity Galaxy 9/17/04 Ultimate Carib
Carnival, Pride, 2/05 Mex Riv
Royal's Rhapsody (Thanksgiving 05) W. Carib
Royal, Navigator of the Seas 03/03/07 W. Carib
Celebrity, Constellation 2/18/2008 S.Carib
Celebrity, Infinity 4/12/2009 (Panama Canal)
RCCL's Radiance of the Seas. Christmas 12/21/2009 Mex Riv

Old May 5th, 2012, 10:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
So, does anyone have a spouse that's not really into cruising?

For my first cruise, I took my then 15 and 13 year-old daughters on a spring break trip. DH prefers to ski. Spring break was late in the season (like April 12), so skiing was out for the girls. He went skiing in March and we went cruising in April (2009). I must say, this was the BEST vacation I ever took (with or without DH).

We're now planning our second Girls' Cruise for next June. Again, DH would rather spend his vacation money skiing (he says he'll die of he doesn't get to ski out West). For background, I've gone on at least 10 ski trips out West with him (and our girls went several times). I don't enjoy skiing anymore. Too much work!

He says that he'll cruise with my in the future when it's just he and I, but I have my doubts.

Reading all the great threads here and seeing all the pictures of couples enjoying the cruising experience together really makes me sad. So what do you do if your spouse doesn't like to cruise?

While leaving port, hop into a hot tub with a bunch of men and get loaded. Wait until your husband finds you to remind you that it's dinner time and take a picture of his facial expression. Not that I have any experience in this area

It was completely out of character for me. So before I booked this cruise I asked my SO if he was interested in cruising again and he said "I'll likely hate it but sign me up." I'm guessing he'll be on every cruise.

CCL Mardi Gras
CCL Glory
CCL Legend
NCL Dawn
CCL Splendor
CCL Valor 11/16/2014

Old May 5th, 2012, 10:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

my dh doesn't have any desire to cruise, I on the other hand love it (only went once) I would find something else we like to do together but he always says he just can't possibly get away. Well, I choose not to set home all the time. I am willing to go without him, although I would rather go with him. My problem is finding someone to go with. We live in Nebraska and it is expensive to fly to everywhere Plus the cruise. I say take the girls and have fun.

Old May 5th, 2012, 11:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

*sigh*....my spouse has NO desire to cruise, or go anywhere! "I can see what I want on TV." Needless to say, I have supported him in EVERY "business adventure" that he's wanted to do. His excuse(s) for not cruising are:
I can't swim (don't jump overboard)
I don't want to leave the dogs (your sister will feed them)
I can't afford for both of us to go (yet you can afford multiple vehicles, lawn mowers, tools, etc etc etc)
I might like it and then will want to go and can't afford it (yet you bought another trailer for your lawn mowers that would have paid for a few cruises)
I'll get seasick (take a pill)

I'm going on my fifth cruise next week. All have been with my Mom and nieces, or girlfriends. I get so envious of couples on board, and traveling, or just enjoying each others company.
Wow.....this sounds pretty grim LOLOL
Oh well, I will continue to cruise and travel. I have to live while I'm alive!

May 2010 Carnival Glory--Bahamas
May 2009 Star Princess--Alaska
June 2006 Carnival Conquest--Western Caribbean