Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old May 6th, 2012, 02:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

So I think I am only the third male on here who's DW is not as into cruising. At first she hated it, then indifferent, presently enjoying it thanks to an awesome trip on the Spirit (which she now calls our "timeshare"). Im working her up to obsessed. We'll see how that goes. Might just be a personality difference. To the o.p.: I think it's time he gives something new a try. My DW has gone on many cruises and I know she really wants to do a land based vacation. So next year I'm going to let her pick, especially coming off a year of five cruises! She's truly a saint to help support my mission to become platinum. I'm even dragging the toddlers into this.

We've been married 10 years and I am still way to codependent to let either one of us travel without the other. I bet she would actually enjoy a little break from the three of us boys. Not gonna happen, they're just as bad as I am.

Carnival Ecstasy 10/02
Carnival Paradise 3/09
Carnival Paradise 7/10
Carnival Spirit 12/10
Carnival Spirit 3/11
Carnival Inspiration 1/12
Carnival Spirit 3/12 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1607919
Carnival Inspiration 6/12
Carnival Inspiration 9/12
Carnival Breeze 12/12 Woo Hoo! First Caribbean Cruise
Carnival Breeze 8/13
Carnival Inspiration 9/13

Old May 6th, 2012, 06:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Your DH is maring a big mistake !!!!! I KNOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruzerDeb View Post
So, does anyone have a spouse that's not really into cruising?

For my first cruise, I took my then 15 and 13 year-old daughters on a spring break trip. DH prefers to ski. Spring break was late in the season (like April 12), so skiing was out for the girls. He went skiing in March and we went cruising in April (2009). I must say, this was the BEST vacation I ever took (with or without DH).

We're now planning our second Girls' Cruise for next June. Again, DH would rather spend his vacation money skiing (he says he'll die of he doesn't get to ski out West). For background, I've gone on at least 10 ski trips out West with him (and our girls went several times). I don't enjoy skiing anymore. Too much work!

He says that he'll cruise with my in the future when it's just he and I, but I have my doubts.

Reading all the great threads here and seeing all the pictures of couples enjoying the cruising experience together really makes me sad. So what do you do if your spouse doesn't like to cruise?
WOW Sounds like my DW and I. My Wife would go cruise with her sisters go to Europe with her sisters and I would stay and take care of BUSINESS.I had a very serious heart ATTACK (well are there any other kinds of heart attacks other than serious) I had bypass surgery with what they call a door.(cut part of your heart off.)The new ME had a better understanding of what is important.I was in the hospital for like a month.I did rehab at the house for 4 months.

The story I have just told was 6 years ago.My wife and I have been on SEVERAL cruises together and have one planned on the LEGEND for sept 30th.What a GREAT amount of precious time I have wasted.I am a regular on cruise critic now KINDA hooked on cruising.

Old May 6th, 2012, 06:22 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Your DH is making a big mistake !!!!! I KNOW

Quote:
So, does anyone have a spouse that's not really into cruising?

For my first cruise, I took my then 15 and 13 year-old daughters on a spring break trip. DH prefers to ski. Spring break was late in the season (like April 12), so skiing was out for the girls. He went skiing in March and we went cruising in April (2009). I must say, this was the BEST vacation I ever took (with or without DH).

We're now planning our second Girls' Cruise for next June. Again, DH would rather spend his vacation money skiing (he says he'll die of he doesn't get to ski out West). For background, I've gone on at least 10 ski trips out West with him (and our girls went several times). I don't enjoy skiing anymore. Too much work!

He says that he'll cruise with my in the future when it's just he and I, but I have my doubts.

Reading all the great threads here and seeing all the pictures of couples enjoying the cruising experience together really makes me sad. So what do you do if your spouse doesn't like to cruise?
WOW Sounds like my DW and I. My Wife would go cruise with her sisters go to Europe with her sisters and I would stay and take care of BUSINESS.I had a very serious heart ATTACK (well are there any other kinds of heart attacks other than serious) I had bypass surgery with what they call a door.(cut part of your heart off.)The new ME had a better understanding of what is important.I was in the hospital for like a month.I did rehab at the house for 4 months.

The story I have just told was 6 years ago.My wife and I have been on SEVERAL cruises together and have one planned on the LEGEND for sept 30th.What a GREAT amount of precious time I have wasted.I am a regular on cruise critic now KINDA hooked on cruising.

Old May 6th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisenanny View Post
We would have to consider shock therapy, hypnosis, medication, etc..
LOL....perfect remedy!
Carnival Victory Review with Pics 9/20-9/27/09~*~*St. Thomas, Dominica, Barbados, St. Lucia, Antigua, St. Kitts http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1067722
Carnival Legend Review with Pics 2/7-2/14/10~*~*Grand Cayman, Cozumel, Belize, Roatan http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1146579
Carnival Liberty Eastern Route Review with Pics, Videos, and Capers 9/18-9/25/10~*~*Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1282136
Carnival Miracle Southern 2/7-2/15/11~*~*~Grand Turk, La Romana DR, Curacao, Aruba
Carnival Freedom Western 9/24-10/2/11~*~*Cozumel, Costa Rica, Panama
Carnival Magic Western 2/5-2/12/12~*~*MoBay Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Cozumel
Carnival Valor Eastern 9/15-9/23/12~*~*St. Thomas, Antigua, Tortola, Nassau
Carnival Dream Western 2/3-2/9/13~*~*Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Costa Maya
Carnival Liberty Eastern 9/14-9/21/13~*~Half Moon Cay, St. Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk
Carnival Freedom B2B 2/4014

Old May 6th, 2012, 10:49 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not spouse but dad

Since 1990 my dad has basically given up doing any type of travel. The only time he has traveled was for 1 wedding and 2 funerals. From September 1990 through late March 2010 I went on 32 cruises. 31 of the cruises were myself and my mom. The other cruise I went on with my mom, my oldest sister and her son. While we were on the cruises my dad would do work around the house. The type of work he did was things like paint, install tile backsplashes in bathrooms and the kitchen and one time installed a prefinished floor in the entrance hall.

Old May 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

In the past few years I've gone on a cruise with my fellow Red Hatters- needless to say my hubby opted to stay home! but I swore after the last one that I'd never cruise again without him! Fortunately he loves cruising as much as I do, so it was a happy day last month when we booked our Paradise cruise for July! Can't wait!

CountdownClockCodes.com

Carnival Magic - Oct 2014
Carnival Paradise - Jul 2012
Carnival Sensation - Feb 2010
Carnival Inspiration - Feb 2008
Carnival Inspiration - Aug 1998
Big Red Boat - Feb 1996
Carnival Carnivale - Mar 1988

Old May 6th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

My SIL wants to go on on a cruise, but my brother tends to get a little seasick when he is on a boat or a ship. He also would rather spend his vacation time at a nascar race track watching a stupic car race. Doesn't like beaches, doesn't like trooical paradises, no would rather watch cars go around and around and around in a circle emitting gases that are slowing killing this planet.....He was going to go on a "girls only" cruise with three friends, well she had the money, but he said no cuz he would want to go to and he doesn't want to cruise, but she doesn't want to spend vacation time at a racetrack watching a stupid car race for endless hours when they could be on a beach or shopping and catch highlights later.....
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory & Magic
2012 Liberty
2013 Conquest
2014 Dream and NOLa (I hope!)

An over 40 victim of fate......

Old May 6th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

If u can just get him to try it... he might like it. I talked cruise for a looonnnggg time, many years. Never could get hubby interested. He thought it would be boring. HA! In advance of our 25th wedding anniversary, we were talking about a trip... He said lets take a cruise! As soon as I picked myself up off the floor, it was booked. He loved it! Have been on a couple more in the last 2 years and another booked.

Old May 6th, 2012, 02:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownmom View Post
If u can just get him to try it... he might like it. I talked cruise for a looonnnggg time, many years. Never could get hubby interested. He thought it would be boring. HA! In advance of our 25th wedding anniversary, we were talking about a trip... He said lets take a cruise! As soon as I picked myself up off the floor, it was booked. He loved it! Have been on a couple more in the last 2 years and another booked.
Youre lucky, in my case he concedes it's the most economical way to vacation, he just doesn't care for it. Hes not an addict like myself and more of a home body. I like one of the others suggestion, shock therapy lol!

Carnival Destiny 4-2-2012 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1620562
Carnival Imagination 12-5-2011
Carnival Triumph 7-9-2011
Carnival Inspiration 9-11-2010
Carnival Fascination 10-31-2009
Carnival Sensation 6-14-2009
Carnvial Inspiration 3-19-2009 http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ht=inspiration
Carnival Sensation 3-30-2008
Carnival Imagination 11-15 2007
Carnival Fantasy 4-2-2007
Sovereign of the Seas 2-2005
Carnival Imagination 8-2004
Carnival Sensation 5-2004

Old May 6th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have been trying to talk one of my best friends into a cruise for years. Her reasoning has always been that the ship is out in the middle of the ocean and you can't see land.

I have finally talked her into it. We are booked on the Liberty in Sept. I am certain she will love cruising as much as we do once she's tried it!!!!

Paradise 9/1999
Glory 8/9/2003
Miracle 10/2006
Enchantment of the Seas 7/2009
Disney Wonder 7/2009
Carnival Dream 7/2010
Carnival Ecstasy 4/2011
Oasis of the Seas 10/2011
Carnival Liberty 9/2012

Old May 6th, 2012, 05:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

My DW loves to cruise but out right refuses to go during hurricane season. I am wanting to go on either a 4 or 5 day one in Oct. but she refuses to go and I don't want to go by myself.

Carnival Conquest-4/21/2013 (Booked
Carnival ??????-Summer of 2014 (Hopefully)

Old May 6th, 2012, 06:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisenanny View Post
Is she not able to take meclizine (Bonine) orally? It can work wonders taken once daily at bedtime (starting the night before the cruise), even for folks who have had unwanted side effects from the patch.
Of course I am NOT trying to give you medical advise, just a tip you may want to check into! Have a great cruise in August

We will use Bonine also..I told her I will make her take one the day we leave the house heading for Florida. Thanks we hope it will be fun and she has a great cruise.

Old May 6th, 2012, 08:01 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
So what do you do if your spouse doesn't like to cruise?
I go without him.

I just returned from my fifth cruise, and he only went on one of them. Thankfully, I have good friends who got bit by the cruise bug with me, and now I've corrupted my sisters, too.
Carnival Ecstasy - April 2011 - Aft Balcony Cabin E255 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Triumph - November 2011 - 8D Balcony Cabin 8356 - Sisters Cruise
Carnival Magic - April 2012 - Cove Balcony - Cabin 2357 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Magic - December 2012 - Cove Balcony - Cabin 2290 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Magic - April 2013 - Cove Balcony 2321 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Magic - November 2013 - Cove Balcony 2326 - Girls Cruise
Carnival Magic - April 2014 - Ocean Suite 7243 - Girls Cruise

...and then...

Old May 6th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

It took me 27 years to get my DH to cruise.

I didn't fool around with a shorter cruise but booked 7 nights out of Miami. I figured he was going to love it - or he was going to hate it and I might as well have a good time!

Guess what? He loved it and has been on one cruise since then and we plan to cruise again this fall!

Carnival Breeze Review - Grand Turk, Dominican Republic, Curacao and Aruba
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1941457

Carnival Legend Review - Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Belize and Roatan
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1484405

Old May 11th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Mad husband

So I was telling my husband, who doesn't want to cruise on my next cruise, about this thread. I told him about shock therapy and the other funny ideas......he went to bed mad at me! But he was over it the next day. Darn, I need to learn to keep my mouth shut!
Little does he know I am planing another cruise with John Heald Bloggers in 2014!

Old May 11th, 2012, 02:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am also a male (definitely a minority) who's spouse does not like to cruise. Mine WILL NOT get on a ship and go out to sea. It is like a phobia. I went on my first cruise 5 years ago and loved it so much that I now go once or twice a year and she encourages me (wonderful woman that she is) to enjoy myself. The only time we have a "disagreement" about cruising is when I have tried to coax her to come with me. Since I stopped doing that we are both happy. I miss her when on a cruise without her but not enough to give up cruising (what a surprise!!!!!)

Old May 11th, 2012, 02:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

So I do not fancy myself a catch in any form, but in February on the cruise with the wife and kids I got hit on every time I went anywhere alone. All 40+ women. It started getting funny toward the end of the cruise and I started wondering, how many married women are taking these cruises and looking for something like this. Of course all of these women may have been single, but I would not want my wife cruising alone.

Now if you are a single man above the age of 40 and looking for a good time, you should be on these boats every chance you get.

Old May 11th, 2012, 02:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

I couldn't cruise or do any kind of vacation without my wife.
We fight, we laugh, we love, she is my best friend, it just wouldn't be the same without her.

Old May 11th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by asalligo View Post
So I do not fancy myself a catch in any form, but in February on the cruise with the wife and kids I got hit on every time I went anywhere alone. All 40+ women. It started getting funny toward the end of the cruise and I started wondering, how many married women are taking these cruises and looking for something like this. Of course all of these women may have been single, but I would not want my wife cruising alone.

Now if you are a single man above the age of 40 and looking for a good time, you should be on these boats every chance you get.

I told my DH, who wouldn't cruise with me this past January, "what happens on the ship, stays on the ship".

Now, I would never, ever cheat on him, but if he's not there I will shamelessly flirt...and I confess I DID! I met some great ladies from New Orleans on that cruise and we acted like a bunch of single ladies...we just had a great time. great CLEAN fun, but my DH would have never gone to the club with me if he were cruising, so this was my chance to let my hair down and enjoy myself. I missed him on the ship, but I made my own fun.
Carnival Legend~ 1-13-13 Mother/Daughter with friends equals trouble Cruise #2

Old May 11th, 2012, 03:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegadog2 View Post

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I'm glad that you've been healthy and able to take up cruising with your wife! Life's too short.