My thoughts and pics from 4/22 - 4/29 Freedom cruise

AKA "Tobaccogate" cruise :p I am going to post this as I go along so bear with me. It may take a few hours or so but I will try and have it wrapped up tonight!

A little background first. I am a 42 year old male disabled cruiser (paraplegic) and this past cruise was my fourth cruise with three of them being on RCI ships. I find that Royal Caribbean is absolutely WONDERFUL to their disabled cruisers and I really like the idea that they have a lift for one pool and one hot tub on ALL of their ships.

Pre cruise my mother and I drove down to Port Canaveral from North Ga and checked in to LaQuinta Inn Cocoa Beach on North Atlantic Drive. Its an older hotel but nicely re done, very clean and roomy. We have stayed here before and got an excellent deal for 89.00 for the night. We enjoyed a WONDERFUL meal at their Asian restaurant there on the grounds. We had signed up for the "Park and Cruise" special but I learned that Port Canaveral allows vehicles equipped with handicap driving aids to park for free so we drove to the Port around 10:45 Sunday morning.

Embarkation was the easiest YET! I swear within 15 minutes of rolling into the terminal, we were on board the ship at around 11 am! Very nice!

My first impression of the Freedom was just WOW! I had never been on a ship this size and I had never seen a Royal Promenade in person! Pictures do it NO justice! I LOVE this area of the ship!

543355_3100573948953_1102290718_48754466_1590528314_n.jpg

546557_3100621310137_1102290718_48754531_1497625686_n.jpg

After gazing around for a bit, we headed directly to the Windjammer for lunch right after going to the MDR and asking to be put on MTD instead of 5:30 first seating. It was no problem at all! The Windjammer wasnt very crowded and we easily found a seat. Service was outstanding and quickly a staff member offered to help me fix my plate and carry it to my table. Another staff member came by and offered to get me a drink right after.

After lunch, I went and got the first drink of the cruise. I enjoyed a Lava Flow from the Pool Bar

533908_3101184404214_1102290718_48754715_1284658566_n.jpg

Shortly after that, we went to the cabin because they were available at 1 pm. I had a deck 8 accessible PR cabin #8315 which was very nice and had plenty of room

492d95d5.jpg

0204eb6b.jpg

continued

another pic of the cabin

887095d6.jpg

After dropping off our carry on luggage, we went back to the pool area and the band was setting up to play some music. They were very good.

544799_3101238965578_1102290718_48754775_1837877943_n.jpg

b697f6d8.jpg

On our roll call thread, we had scheduled a "pre meet and mingle" at the Schooner bar at 3 pm where I met quiet a few people I had been talking to for weeks. We had a great time until it was time to go to Muster drill.

Muster drill went through very smoothly and I was impressed with how attentive everyone was. It was the smoothest and quietest Muster drill I had ever attended. Everyone was really interested in listening.

At 4:30 sharp, we sailed away without hitch. I had some friends at Grills and was able to wave at them as we sailed away. The weather was beautiful but I was so excited I didnt get many pics lol. I stayed on deck 4 under the life boats until we got a good ways out of the channel.

After sailaway, I went to the cabin and changed for dinner. We showed up at 6 pm on deck 5 where MTD is and was seated within minutes. Our waiter and assistant waiter were wonderful and would wind up being our servers all week!

Over the course of the week, I found that the MDR food was just fine. There was some "not so nice" things said about Freedoms MDR food on here but either they have stepped it up or Im just easy to please :) I found on this trip that I REALLY enjoy duck and lamb shank! Two of my favorite meals of the whole trip! The prime rib was delicious too! Also on lobster night, the lobsters were of nice size and cooked perfectly! I enjoyed the Prime rib AND lobster that night :o A 'surf and turf" if you will. :)

We also enjoyed lunch in the MDR a couple sea days and had the wonderful Tutti salad bar. It was great!

Later on that evening after dinner, I went to one of my favorite places on the ship. It happens to be deck 4 on Freedom. There is hardly ever anyone out there and its a really good place to go and enjoy the ocean! very nice and quiet out there!

9eff1751.jpg

2b017d96.jpg

10d2b0b4.jpg

This was a Disney ship way off in the distance. Later on we got closer but I didnt have my camera on me.

2f77fb1d.jpg

Finally you are getting down to business :D

Glad they finally closed the tobacco thread so we can finally get to your review. I have never been on Freedom class ships .. but LOVE the Promenades from 3 cruises on Voyager class ships.

BTW - if we ever cruise together .. I will buy you your first Lava Flow and we can forget our differences over Tobaccogate :D

BTW - if we ever cruise together .. I will buy you your first Lava Flow and we can forget our differences over Tobaccogate :D

Ha! I will certainly take you up on that offer! :D

After enjoying the peace and quiet of deck 4 I went exploring a little to find my way around better and take in the sights of this wonderful ship.

5ff5e0d1.jpg

7448e816.jpg

And I continue to be amazed by the Royal Promenade.

340e8bc9.jpg

482c1dd6.jpg

79516d0f.jpg

The next day, we arrived early at Coco Cay but while laying in bed that morning, I heard Captain Tor Olsen come on the loudspeaker in the room telling us it was too rough to tender and we would be missing our stop. I kinda expected this might happen BUT there were lots of people hassling Guest Services because we missed the stop :( and they were wanting credit and such because of it :rolleyes: Our safety be darned i guess :rolleyes:

I didnt mind at all really. I like sea days and i was still able to enjoy a Coco Loco by the pool that day! Yummy! I even got in the pool via the lift and it was great! The staff were so helpful in helping me get in the pool!

42a14a4a.jpg

it was a beautiful day at sea!

94705bee.jpg

It was the first formal night that evening and there was a big party in the Royal Promenade where Captain Olsen came out and some of his staff. Everyone was dressed really nice and the photographers were very busy!

86a75bdf.jpg

d4a77508.jpg

bcf36aee.jpg

f923585c.jpg

The following day was another sea day. If memory serves me correctly, it was a little cloudy that day and maybe even rained a little? The seas were pretty calm though and it was hard to tell you were on a ship.

c6567d0c.jpg

409d400d.jpg

9cb90c55.jpg

cdd03478.jpg

We arrived in St Thomas the next morning. After enjoying a breakfast that morning in the Windjammer, we finally got off the ship. Nothing planned for this day other than some sightseeing around the port area and some shopping.

9498ec97.jpg

e99fe487.jpg

46e89318.jpg

496c1316.jpg

Great start. That room looks huge. Looking forward to more pics and review.
The pictures are of a handicapped accesable cabin. The regular promenade cabins are no where near that large.Just so you know in case you were thinking of getting one;)

That afternoon we got back on the ship a couple hours before sailaway and enjoyed a nice lunch at Johnny Rockets. This was my first experience ever and I really enjoyed it! I thought the food was really good! A little greasy but good nonetheless! By the time I had a double cheeseburger :o onion rings and apple pie ala mode, I quickly learned that dinner that night would likely be spoiled :o

82d380ea.jpg

ea63321c.jpg

f9726e4d.jpg

I then went back to deck 4 to look for "runners" :D I am simply AMAZED at the people that cut it so close :eek: There were bunches of folks that came really close to missing the ship! The bride and her groom barely made by 10 minutes or so! What a way to ruin a wedding if they missed the ship!

43d15097.jpg

b06ba70e.jpg

Disney left well before we did that day.

a1d69dc6.jpg

I could be wrong but Im pretty sure later that night was the pool party. They had various food items set out and everyone had a great time. Captain Olsen came out and jammed on his guitar with the band for about 45 minutes! he is REALLY good too!

026f5fcd.jpg

d7c9ce4c.jpg

f38c7a51.jpg

Next day we arrived early in St Maarten. This was my first time there I REALLY enjoyed this place! Again, nothing major planned so more walking around the port area, a little shopping and then settling in at a little bar to enjoy rumrunners and a fine cigar. The port area here was REALLY nice! Very clean and well kept! I did not experience the high pressure sales pitches and such in these shops that I have in Cozumel and the Bahamas. It was great!

cdb71ea6.jpg

e7e35633.jpg

cc42c185.jpg

611b78bb.jpg

ddf12749.jpg

08573d9f.jpg

Archived