Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:30 AM
BigKeith BigKeith is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Slough
Posts: 200
Default Help needed, Florida cruising

Hi everyone.

Im just in the planning stages of BigKeith's Big Christmas and New Years getaway. Im sure mlst of you know i love my cruise ships so i'm hoping to get on as many ships as possible over around three weeks over the holiday period. Im prepared to drive between PC, Tampa, FL and Miami (Id best get used to those automatic cars and turning right at roundabouts :S). So far im having a bit of a headache though, i want to visit as many varied ports as possible but can repeat visits if necessary. It's looking like the cruises will be on my three favourite lines, RC, X and Carnival but slotting them together seems logistically difficult. Any advoce for an easy way of doing this to maximise as many ports visited?

Also, when driving from the more northern ports, should i give a day before boarding a ship in Southern Florida or could i easily do this on the actual day?

Thanks
Big Keith
__________________
Looking forward to:

Serenade of the Seas 22/06/12 Mediterranean
Celebrity Infinity 10/08/12 Alaska
Rhapsody of the Seas 17/08/12 Alaska
Brilliance of the Seas 08/09/12 Transatlantic
Carnival Glory 22/09/12 New England
Allure of the Seas 30/09/12 Caribbean

Planning Big Keith's Big New Years Getaway
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:23 AM
sparky-elpaso's Avatar
sparky-elpaso sparky-elpaso is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,234
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKeith View Post
Hi everyone.

Im just in the planning stages of BigKeith's Big Christmas and New Years getaway. Im sure mlst of you know i love my cruise ships so i'm hoping to get on as many ships as possible over around three weeks over the holiday period. Im prepared to drive between PC, Tampa, FL and Miami (Id best get used to those automatic cars and turning right at roundabouts :S). So far im having a bit of a headache though, i want to visit as many varied ports as possible but can repeat visits if necessary. It's looking like the cruises will be on my three favourite lines, RC, X and Carnival but slotting them together seems logistically difficult. Any advoce for an easy way of doing this to maximise as many ports visited?

Also, when driving from the more northern ports, should i give a day before boarding a ship in Southern Florida or could i easily do this on the actual day?

Thanks
Big Keith
Not sure which "northern ports" you mean but it's about 250 miles (350 - 400 km) from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale. At least a 4 hour drive. I just used Google Earth to estimate the distances. Distances in the US can be deceptive if you're just looking at a map. If it were me I would definitely plan on getting to the port the day before - that way if there would be any delays (flat tire, etc.) I've got a buffer and I would have a chance to relax a bit before getting on board.
__________________
Alaska & Caribbean photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sparky46/page1/

Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old May 5th, 2012, 09:28 AM
Krazy Kruizers's Avatar
Krazy Kruizers Krazy Kruizers is offline
50,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Posts: 85,275
Default

I have to agree -- have a day between those cruises.

Also keep in mind that holiday cruises are expensive.

And hotels fill up quickly during that time.

You need to move forward on those plans now.
__________________
Cruising is a wonderful way to enjoy retirement!
Far, far too many cruises to list.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:16 AM
cruiseapril's Avatar
cruiseapril cruiseapril is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: New England
Posts: 3,424
Default

Have you considered a Back to Back cruise from Fort Lauderdale? That would give you 14 or 20 days with lots of ports.
__________________
April
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old May 5th, 2012, 11:41 AM
cruiseaholic777's Avatar
cruiseaholic777 cruiseaholic777 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 358
Default

Iwould just cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. You should be able to find what you want at this one cruise port.
__________________
Celebrity: Millenium -November 2003
Princess: Caribbean -November 2004
Princess: Caribbean -November 2005
Royal Caribbean: Sovereign of the Seas -August 2006
Carnival: Glory -November 2007
Princess: Caribbean -January 2008
Princess: Ruby -November 2009
Princess: Crown -January 2 2010
Princess: Crown - November 27 2010
Royal Caribbean: Navigator of the Seas - December 10 2011

Booked:
Carnival: Freedom September 8 2012
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old May 5th, 2012, 12:54 PM
LHT28's Avatar
LHT28 LHT28 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23,012
Default

You do not mention a budget or if you are cruising with children?
I would stick to sailing from FLL or MIA

Some lines will do Eastern Caribbean then a Western Caribbean so you could do a B2B less stressful than running from ship to ship

If your budget will permit have a look at Oceania's Holiday cruise
http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcr...0/default.aspx
More inclusive than the mainstream lines but also more $$
Then you could do another cruise or land tour for the other week you are on holiday

Last edited by LHT28; May 5th, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:43 PM
BigKeith BigKeith is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Slough
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazy Kruizers View Post
I have to agree -- have a day between those cruises.

Also keep in mind that holiday cruises are expensive.

And hotels fill up quickly during that time.

You need to move forward on those plans now.
I was considering following the Trotter Brothers' example and renting a motorised home to save checking into hotels
__________________
Looking forward to:

Serenade of the Seas 22/06/12 Mediterranean
Celebrity Infinity 10/08/12 Alaska
Rhapsody of the Seas 17/08/12 Alaska
Brilliance of the Seas 08/09/12 Transatlantic
Carnival Glory 22/09/12 New England
Allure of the Seas 30/09/12 Caribbean

Planning Big Keith's Big New Years Getaway
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:44 PM
BigKeith BigKeith is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Slough
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHT28 View Post
You do not mention a budget or if you are cruising with children?
I would stick to sailing from FLL or MIA

Some lines will do Eastern Caribbean then a Western Caribbean so you could do a B2B less stressful than running from ship to ship

If your budget will permit have a look at Oceania's Holiday cruise
http://www.oceaniacruises.com/findcr...0/default.aspx
More inclusive than the mainstream lines but also more $$
Then you could do another cruise or land tour for the other week you are on holiday
This is partly my point though, being a ship fanatic i love getting on as many ships as possible, I would just prefer to have a varied range of ports
__________________
Looking forward to:

Serenade of the Seas 22/06/12 Mediterranean
Celebrity Infinity 10/08/12 Alaska
Rhapsody of the Seas 17/08/12 Alaska
Brilliance of the Seas 08/09/12 Transatlantic
Carnival Glory 22/09/12 New England
Allure of the Seas 30/09/12 Caribbean

Planning Big Keith's Big New Years Getaway
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old May 5th, 2012, 05:56 PM
LHT28's Avatar
LHT28 LHT28 is offline
20,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 23,012
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKeith View Post
This is partly my point though, being a ship fanatic i love getting on as many ships as possible, I would just prefer to have a varied range of ports
With a bit of research you could probably find several ships sailing from Miami that would sail to different ports without repeating them
Miami you may have 3 to 6 ships sailing from there daily so lots to choose from
good luck in your quest
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:08 PM
broberts broberts is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,834
Default

You are not too exact with dates, but how about this:

Carnival Glory, Dec 16 - Miami: Nassua, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk
Carnival Glory, Dec 23 - Miami: Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman
Adventure of the Seas, Dec 30 - San Juan: St Croix, Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Maarten

13 ports, no need for a camper, return air about $500 MIA - SJU.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:13 PM
BigKeith BigKeith is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Slough
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broberts View Post
You are not too exact with dates, but how about this:

Carnival Glory, Dec 16 - Miami: Nassua, St Thomas, San Juan, Grand Turk
Carnival Glory, Dec 23 - Miami: Cozumel, Belize, Roatan, Grand Cayman
Adventure of the Seas, Dec 30 - San Juan: St Croix, Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua, St Maarten

13 ports, no need for a camper, return air about $500 MIA - SJU.
That's great, very helpful and i sppreciate it, the dates look about right for me. The only problem, i was hoping for perhaps four different ships
__________________
Looking forward to:

Serenade of the Seas 22/06/12 Mediterranean
Celebrity Infinity 10/08/12 Alaska
Rhapsody of the Seas 17/08/12 Alaska
Brilliance of the Seas 08/09/12 Transatlantic
Carnival Glory 22/09/12 New England
Allure of the Seas 30/09/12 Caribbean

Planning Big Keith's Big New Years Getaway
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old May 5th, 2012, 06:17 PM
p_mori7's Avatar
p_mori7 p_mori7 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 571
Default

Fort Lauderdale & Miami are pretty close together (45 minute drive), should be very easy to arrive at one and depart from the other in the same day. There are probably shuttle busses from one terminal to the other.
__________________
05-08-2008: RCCL Enchantment of the Seas (Fort Lauderdale - Grand Cayman - Montego Bay)
08-10-2010: CCL Spirit (Seattle -Skagway - Juneau - Ketchican - Victoria)
08-02-2012: CCL Breeze (Barcelona - Marseilles - Livorno - Civitavecchia - Naples - Dubrovnik - Venice - Messina)
07-15-2013: CCL Legend (Dover - Copenhagen - Warnemunde -Helsinki - St. Petersburg - Talinn - Amsterdam)


My CCL Legend Extended Balcony video tour here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVmAe8n0iZQ
My CCL Breeze Cove Balcony video tour here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwaowoQNLE
My CCL Spirit Ocean Suite video tour here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOkqgV0JPjU
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old May 5th, 2012, 08:20 PM
broberts broberts is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,834
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKeith View Post
That's great, very helpful and i sppreciate it, the dates look about right for me. The only problem, i was hoping for perhaps four different ships
It becomes a trade off between different ports and different ships. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:03 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.