Bring Wine Onboard

marienbad

We brought a case of wonder Ozzie wines on board when we were in Sydney.

No problem.

We uncorked the bottles in our cabin and brought them to the dining room with us and we were never charged the $10 corkage fee.

I would love to bring some wine aboard but I do not think I could carry a whole case. Did you devide the case and put in a rolling suitcase. I would really appreciate hearing how you were able to do this. Thank you. Happy Sailing, Joy

The bottle shops in Australia provided bottle carriers. They are cardboard/sturdy with a handle and look similar to what you get at McDonalds if you order multiple drinks. They hold six bottles each..and although they were heavy...we made a trip off the ship specifically to get the wine..so we just headed right back to the ship.

Of course...if you buy duty free in the airport they'll pack it for traveling for you!

My daughter just got back from Diamond Princess cruise. You can bring onboard wine or champagne when you sail, but any wine purchased from a port gets stowed.

Island Princess 6/25 Alaska

Dear kind and gentle folks;

Princess's policy of permitting wine to be brought on board is a nice feature. Additionally their markup on wine purchased on board is quite reasonable. I hope that you all realize that the waiters get a portion of the corkage fee, and it covers more than just "uncorking" the wine. It includes providing the extra glasses and the actual serving of the wine and putting it in the wine bucket with ice if required. When you bring wine into the dining room, you may or may not be charged a corkage fee, a lot is left to the waiter's descretion. If you are not charged, please increase your tip to the wait staff accordingly, as they are doing you a favor. UNCORKING your wine in your cabin to avoid the corkage fee is not only unfair to the wait staff, but you may be charged anyway, and I believe, if done by to many people, Princess will revise their policy on bringing wine on board.

Ten bucks is a fair price for the service received in handling your wine, if you can not afford it, drink water.

Thanks for listening to my favorite rant;-))

Fair winds

Dave

My daughter just got back from Diamond Princess cruise. You can bring onboard wine or champagne when you sail, but any wine purchased from a port gets stowed.

This is untrue. I just sailed on the Grand and you can bring wine champagne and soda onboard in any port. Just make sure they know it's wine. In Belize we thought we'd have a problem because the wine we bought (a bottle of blackberry and a a bottle of cashew) were capped not corked. But there was no problem at all.

This is new - their own rules say OK for beer, wine and pop but not for wine??

Ron

I had an issue with beer. I knew it was allowed, and just to be safe, I called Princess twice before we sailed (MY partner loved a Jamaican beer called Red Stripe, and there's no way it'd be vaailable onboard). Upon arrival I was told beer was not allowed, but wine and champagne along with sodas were fine. Next time I check the beer in my suitcase and carry the wine and champagne in the ice chest (without ice) along with my diet Big Red.

I think whoever told the above poster that wine isn't allowed was misinformed.

I don't mind the corkage fee if needed but their markup on wine is about 600% - I purchased a bottle of Piesporter one night at $22 - I had some in my cabin(same brand) that I bought at a local pharmacy for $3.49

Ron

I think the markup on wine depends on where you live. I bought a bottle of Dom onboard for $115. I priced it for $99 at home at the liquor store on special during the holidays. It cost more than $115 at local restaurants. Not that I drink Dom normally, but I was planning a special occasion on the cruise and wanted some price comparisons.

Hi Coiran;

The last three Princess cruises I have taken, 2002-2003-2004, wines that I buy on sale here in Michigan for $8-15 dollars, Princess sells for $24 to 35 dollars. That is a very reasonable mark up for a restruant. Check the wine prices on RCCI and you will see why I like Princess. In my experience, your example is an exception, not the rule.

The only wines I take on board are some favorites that are not available on Princess. When you add the corkage fee (which you may or may not be charged) it is not worth the hassel to lug a case of more of wine along, especially if you are flying to the port.

Fair winds

Dave

Dave,

I agree with you 100%.

The DR waiters and assistants work their butts off for very little in the way of $$$.

The corkage fee is not that bad, and it beats RCCL where you can't bring anything on board.

Ciao for now!!!

Hi Psychtobe;

You are correct, I see nothing wrong with that, (providing you tip the room service person who brought the glasses a buck or two.) Taking a glass of wine to the dining room is much diffferent than taking an open bottle. You may have bought it at a bar and not finished it, or you may have brought it from your room, it makes no difference. (It would be rather tacky to take in one in each hand;-)

Fair winds

Dave

Dear kind and gentle folks;

Princess's policy of permitting wine to be brought on board is a nice feature. Additionally their markup on wine purchased on board is quite reasonable. I hope that you all realize that the waiters get a portion of the corkage fee, and it covers more than just "uncorking" the wine. It includes providing the extra glasses and the actual serving of the wine and putting it in the wine bucket with ice if required. When you bring wine into the dining room, you may or may not be charged a corkage fee, a lot is left to the waiter's descretion. If you are not charged, please increase your tip to the wait staff accordingly, as they are doing you a favor. UNCORKING your wine in your cabin to avoid the corkage fee is not only unfair to the wait staff, but you may be charged anyway, and I believe, if done by to many people, Princess will revise their policy on bringing wine on board.

Ten bucks is a fair price for the service received in handling your wine, if you can not afford it, drink water.

Thanks for listening to my favorite rant;-))

Fair winds

Dave

Dave...

We had the best wait team ever on our last cruise and we tipped them accordingly. We wanted to make sure the extra $$ went directly to them as they truely deserved it.

but wouldn't you agree that ordering wine glasses to your room via room service, and then opening and pouring in your room prior to dinner, wouldn't be stiffing anyone of anything?

No, it wouldn't be "stiffing" anyone. Frorm what I have heard, people who have a glass or two of wine prior to dinner are usually MORE likely to order MORE alcohol at dinner (or after dinner), than if they hadn't had anything to drink before dinner.

Also, when somone gets used to having a bottle of wine in their fridge, as soon as they run out, they will be more likely to replenish that (by purchasing from Princess).

Princess must be very well aware of this; hence the reason they allow wine onboard.

Archived