Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures > Florida Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Florida Departures
Ft. Lauderdale, Jacksonville, Miami & Port Canaveral & Tampa

Old May 9th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Fllorida Residents -alternative to Cruise Connection Bus

We are FL residents who have taken the Cruise Connection bus for years - they are now out of business and I was wondering if anyone has either rented a car each way - dropping it off near the port and then getting another to drive home, or driven down to the port the day before, stayed in a hotel that lets you leave your vehicle for the duration of the cruise and provides shuttle service.

I would be interested in your experiences with both ports - Port Everglades and Port of Miami -

Thanks
Song of Norway 71. RCCL Nordic Prince 72,RCCL Song of Norway 79, Commodore Caribe 87, NCL Starward 88, RCCL Nordic Prince 89, RCCL Song of America 90,Carla Costa 91, Celebrity Meridian 92, Costa Romantica 98, HAL Ryndam 98, Premier Sea Breeze 99,Carnival Paradise 99, Celebrity Century 00,Costa Victoria 00, NCL Norway 01, Celebrity Zenith, 01, Celebrity Zenith 01, Celebrity Century 01, Celebrity Millenium 02, Grand Princess 02, Celebrity Mercury 02,Golden Princess 03, Grand Princess 03, Celebrity Century 03, Caribbean Princess 04, MSC Lirica March 06, HAL Westerdam December 07, Crown Princess November 2009, MSC Poseia January 2010, Star Princess April 2010, Ruby Princess December 2010, Star Princess March 2011, Grand Princess December 2011, Celebrity Eclipse February 2012, HAL Nieuw Amsterday December 2012, Ruby Princess February 2013, MSC Divina November 2013,Ruby Princess January, 2014, Celebrity Constellation April, 2014Regal Princess December 2014

Old May 9th, 2012, 02:26 PM
5,000+ Club

We drive from S. Ft. Myers to Port Everglades; and, we park at Park N Fly.
Our journey usually takes 1 hour and 58 minutes. We usually depart about 10:30 A.M.

Old May 10th, 2012, 02:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Are you driving from Palm City?

That's just two hours from POM. Drive to the Port and park there for $20/day. Its still going to be a lot cheaper than paying for two one way car rentals I bet. I would also guess that the Miami-Palm City car rental one way is going to be really expensive.

Old May 11th, 2012, 12:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Where in Florida are you coming from? I am going on the Freedom out of Port Everglades in June. We live in St. Petersburg. The drive down was never really a problem, cruise addrenaline. But we did a cruise out of Miami several years ago and I will tell you the drive back across Alligator Alley was a nightmare...I was so tired. So to not have that situation again, we are taking the train from Tampa to FLL the day before. It is about the same drive time, little longer. if you figure the cost of parking the car for the weeK and the price of gas and wear on the vehicle. It only cost $120.00 for 2 roundtrip tickets. Just have to pay for a few cab rides.

Old May 11th, 2012, 10:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have used the bus to get to MIA and a taxit from there.

Big seats, Wi-Fi and no driving for me!!

http://www.redcoachusa.com/

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 17th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile thanks for the suggestions

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiyogi View Post
Are you driving from Palm City?

That's just two hours from POM. Drive to the Port and park there for $20/day. Its still going to be a lot cheaper than paying for two one way car rentals I bet. I would also guess that the Miami-Palm City car rental one way is going to be really expensive.
We are driving from Palm City - we found that we can rent a car one way for around $35 each way - WAY less expensive than the $20/day at the port and less that we were paying for the cruise connection bus - so I guess that's what we will do in the future!
Song of Norway 71. RCCL Nordic Prince 72,RCCL Song of Norway 79, Commodore Caribe 87, NCL Starward 88, RCCL Nordic Prince 89, RCCL Song of America 90,Carla Costa 91, Celebrity Meridian 92, Costa Romantica 98, HAL Ryndam 98, Premier Sea Breeze 99,Carnival Paradise 99, Celebrity Century 00,Costa Victoria 00, NCL Norway 01, Celebrity Zenith, 01, Celebrity Zenith 01, Celebrity Century 01, Celebrity Millenium 02, Grand Princess 02, Celebrity Mercury 02,Golden Princess 03, Grand Princess 03, Celebrity Century 03, Caribbean Princess 04, MSC Lirica March 06, HAL Westerdam December 07, Crown Princess November 2009, MSC Poseia January 2010, Star Princess April 2010, Ruby Princess December 2010, Star Princess March 2011, Grand Princess December 2011, Celebrity Eclipse February 2012, HAL Nieuw Amsterday December 2012, Ruby Princess February 2013, MSC Divina November 2013,Ruby Princess January, 2014, Celebrity Constellation April, 2014Regal Princess December 2014

Old May 17th, 2012, 09:25 PM
30,000+ Club

I know of people who just do not want to drive......they depended on the bus (from Daytona to Port Everglades).........it's a shame there is no other option.

Old May 18th, 2012, 07:17 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

There is Amtrak, I have taken Amtrak many times between the 2 cities.

Old May 18th, 2012, 08:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

The only easy option now is driving, but in a couple of years there is a train being built that will go from Orlando to Miami along the coast stopping in Fort Lauderdale on the way. http://www.allaboardflorida.com/ this time it is going to be privately funded. (for those of you who live in Florida you know how our horrible governor killed high speed rail ...)
Allure of the Seas (Western Caribbean)-July 1st, 2012

Carnival
Carnival Dream(Western Caribbean)- May 29th, 2010

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:25 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jman1118 View Post
The only easy option now is driving, but in a couple of years there is a train being built that will go from Orlando to Miami along the coast stopping in Fort Lauderdale on the way. http://www.allaboardflorida.com/ this time it is going to be privately funded. (for those of you who live in Florida you know how our horrible governor killed high speed rail ...)
Our great governor saved we common sense Floridian's a considerable amount of money in taxes.

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkazmer View Post
We are driving from Palm City - we found that we can rent a car one way for around $35 each way
Can't beat that with a stick!

Old May 18th, 2012, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdiamond View Post
Our great governor saved we common sense Floridian's a considerable amount of money in taxes.
I agree.

Old May 18th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkazmer View Post
We are FL residents who have taken the Cruise Connection bus for years - they are now out of business and I was wondering if anyone has either rented a car each way - dropping it off near the port and then getting another to drive home, or driven down to the port the day before, stayed in a hotel that lets you leave your vehicle for the duration of the cruise and provides shuttle service.

I would be interested in your experiences with both ports - Port Everglades and Port of Miami -

Thanks

We drive to both ports from the western side of the state and have never had a problem. And we always use an off port parking facility.

Old May 26th, 2012, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

We too have used
cruise
connction from the West
coast to Ft. Lauderdale or Miamin cruise ports. I have been told that a company has bought this bus company and will begin operating in November 1912. It's called My
Cruise Bus. It's on line mycruise bus.com

b

Old May 26th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

We drive down day before and stay in hotel....then park at the "Park-n-go" right next to the port, and they shuttle to and from the port....it only costs about $7.95 a day way cheaper than at the port!!!!!!! The service is fast too!

Old May 29th, 2012, 04:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Looks phony!

I am also interested in the bus to the ports, but the My Cruise Bus looks phony to me. There is no reference to a company with that name listed in Florida, but hope it is legit.

Old June 6th, 2012, 09:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Red face Bus to FLL

Anyone who is cruising with Princess or Holland America can reserve bus transportation with your travel agent. I couldn't find any info on Princess website about this and then discovered that it is in their search engine as 'coach transportation' instead of 'bus'!!! I spoke to a Princess rep and she confirmed this. They have their own bus to Port.

Old June 6th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Price Out All The Options Before You Decide on Transportation

Whether we rent a car down and back to the port depends on the number of days we are cruising and the port we are cruising from. Ft. Lauderdale, a week or less cruise, we drive our own car and use Park 'N Go. It’s usually cheaper than renting a car and actually easier than parking at the port as we don’t have to handle our own luggage. They take it out of our vehicle, load it on the shuttle, and hand it off to the porters at the port. (I always check for deals like $5.99- $7.99 per day)http://offairportparking.com/portevg/.
For longer cruises, it is usually more cost effective to just rent a car to and from Ft. Lauderdale.
However, for port of Miami, we just about always rent from Hertz down and back. They are less expensive to use than any port parking. Their office is about 5 blocks from port, and they have a very efficient shuttle process.

FUTURE CRUISES:
Caribbean Princess Oct '14
Island Princess Oct '14
RCI Vision of the Seas Oct/Nov '14 Back to Back to Back
RCI Freedom of the Seas Dec '14
RCI Explorer of the Seas Jan '15 Back to Back
RCI Brilliance of the Seas Back to Back Nov '15
RCI Vision of the Seas Back to Back Nov '15
RCI Brilliance of the Seas Back to Back Dec '15
RCI Vision of the Seas Back to Back to Back Jan '16
RCI Serenade of the Seas March '16
RCI Brilliance of the Seas Back to Back April '16

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."
RCI PINNACLE CLUB; PRINCESS ELITE; CELEBRITY ELITE PLUS

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default connection to pier

Just got off the phone with Princess. Representative, who check with her supervisor, said that they HAD a bus but got so many complaints that they cancelled the service. I hope they get new servers before the Fall. Any new info gladly accepted.

Old June 29th, 2012, 08:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Cruise Bus

Appreciate all the input, have found that one way rental can be cost effective - just depends on the deal one gets.

We used to drive to the ports and park in the garages there, but my husband is very picky about where he parks the car and with the amount of traffic in and out, it just isn't a good option for us.

Looked at the mycruisebus.com and it isn't live yet - shows a Sarasota address - will check it out to see if there actually is a business with that name or a DBA for it.

Didn't know (and you would think I would having cruised with Princess a bunch) that I could reserve bus transpo with Princess.

Since we won't be cruising until Fall, there is time for the company to get up and running - or we will just do one way rentals - but it won't stop us from cruising - LOL