Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Silversea Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Silversea Cruises
Read Luxury Cruise Reviews written by cruisers just like you!
Find Your Silversea Roll Call

Old May 18th, 2012, 08:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpalbny View Post
wripro, you're probably right, but how sad... We love dressing up for a night out, and how convenient to be able to do so on a ship where you don't have to drive anywhere in your dress clothes, worry about stepping in mud or snow with your dress shoes, etc. Just dress up and step out of your door!

It's elegant and very enjoyable for us - even with the "inconvenience" of schlepping all of the stuff. It makes formal night a special occasion, and gee - where else do you wear a tux or a ball gown? Not like we spend every weekend at some gala event back home!

Speaking of which, one of us better remember to take his tux to the dry cleaners stat - plane flies in 2 weeks!
We totally agree.

Old May 18th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

It's elegant and very enjoyable for us - even with the "inconvenience" of schlepping all of the stuff. It makes formal night a special occasion, and gee - where else do you wear a tux or a ball gown? Not like we spend every weekend at some gala event back home!

````````````````````
I live a pretty social life in California but not one that calls for really "dressing up" very often, so I really look forward to "Putting on the Ritz".......Wasn't there a song with that title....? of course there was, but probably before the time of those who are resisting all the little amenities that make cruising on SS such a pleasure for me.

Old May 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are the same way with our social life here in GA. We do enjoy the formal nights.

Old May 18th, 2012, 08:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

There was not one person on the Shadow last month in a ball gown, saw some kilts, a cocktail dress, but no gowns. Maybe we were on the wrong ship all the time.

Old May 18th, 2012, 09:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

"gee - where else do you wear a tux or a ball gown? Not like we spend every weekend at some gala event back home!"

Although my partner & I have chosen to not take our tuxes on cruises (and, indeed, prefer Regent's elegant casual dress code to SS's more formal one), here in the Seattle area there are plenty of charity events (our favorite is the humane society's "Tuxes & Tails" - the latter being the wagging sort) that offer the opportunity to wear black tie if one has the occasional hankering to do so.

Last edited by freddie; May 18th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.

Old May 18th, 2012, 09:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddie View Post
"gee - where else do you wear a tux or a ball gown? Not like we spend every weekend at some gala event back home!"

Although my partner & I have chosen to not take our tuxes on cruises (and, indeed, prefer Regent's elegant casual dress code to SS's more formal one), here in the Seattle area there are plenty of charity events (our favorite is the humane society's "Tuxes & Tails" - the latter being the wagging sort) that offer the opportunity to wear black tie if one has the occasional hankering to do so.
Hey, we all have opportunities like that -- I live in the entertainment capital of the world -- but Tuxes & Tails means you're paying top dollar to (admirably) support your favorite charity wearing a tux. I'm talking about paying top dollar to support MY FAVORITE CHARITY -- myself -- and get a bunch of other benefits in the deal.

Old May 18th, 2012, 09:52 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Tho we sail both Regent and Silversea, our preference is Silversea's dress code..like our good cruise friend Wellseasoned/Dieter said in post #30 above, where else can you get your James Bond fix and as Dusababy/Mary Ann said very, very well immediately above.."it is elegant and very enjoyable" (to be in the company of so many other elegant dressed folks). Last Saturday nite, Ida and I just enjoyed the Furkids Tenth Anniversary gala here in Atlanta (supports the largest cage free shelter here in Georgia (80% cats)) Rick Dees was the DJ (anyone remember him?) ..we were in the minority (maybe 5% were in formal wear) but we loved it--and supported a great pet cause.

Old May 18th, 2012, 10:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I prefer Regents "good taste' attire

Old May 18th, 2012, 11:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizzy View Post
Merriem, it's great that you found out that SS is not for you! Hopefully, SS will continue the tradition that many people have grown to love and MOST PEOPLE who prefer to dress casually, at best, will find a line where "they don't have to drag all that formal stuff". How does that sound?
Well said Fizzy.

Old May 19th, 2012, 10:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel(Ret.)Wes View Post
Rick Dees was the DJ (anyone remember him?)
Syndicated Top 40 show back in the early '80s, IIRC. Thanks for recalling *that* memory...

Last: Silver Cloud - Eastern Med - Istanbul to Athens - October 2014 (photo review)

Future:

** Disaster averted! SS Catherine (Uniworld) - Burgundy and Provence - March 2015

Past:
Silver Cloud - North Atlantic - Tower Bridge to Reykjavik - August 2014 - (photo review)
SS Antoinette (Uniworld) - Castles on the Rhine - Basel to Amsterdam - April 2014 (photo review)
Silver Explorer - Central America - Colon to Puerto Caldera - October 2013 (
photo review)
Avalon Affinity - Danube - Vienna to Passau - June 2013 (flooded! - awesome land trip instead ) (blog)
MS Sun Boat III - Nile River - November 2012 (pics1) (pics2)
Silver Wind - Athens to Rome - June 2012 (report) (Greece pics) (Italy pics)
Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos - November 2011 (Peru pics) (Galapagos pics)
Silver Explorer - Longyearbyen to Tromso - August 2011 (report) (Svalbard pics) (Tromso pics)
Silver Wind - Cape Town to Cape Town - Feb 2011 (
pics)
Silver Cloud - London to Nice - September 2010 (France pics) (Spain and Portugal pics)
Silver Wind - Black Sea - June 2010 (photos)
Silversea PAII - Antarctica - December 2009(photos)

Tahitian Princess 8/09; Insignia 11/08; Sea Princess 8/08; Millenium 6/08; Nautica 1/08; Nautica 11/07; Regatta 4/07; Tahitian Princess 1/07; Carnival Spirit 8/06; Insignia 5/06; etc...

Old May 19th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

JP and Chris, absolutely correct, you win a Silversea baseball cap, only collectible on the 2013 Spirit fall crossing (Barcelona to Ft. Lauderdale )

Last edited by WesW; May 19th, 2012 at 11:15 AM.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Second Silverseas cruise

We also were on the Cloud, Barcelona to Monte Carlo. Our first SS experience was on the Shadow a couple of years ago. We were disappointed in the Cloud for a few non-important reasons, like running out of single malt, diet sprite and a few other things, but mostly our experience was lovely. Our butler, Rachel, was fabulous, and the staff was wonderful. In fact, the first night in the bar, a server, Jovi, welcomed us back, by name, and remembered our favorite drinks! She was on the Shadow when we did the Panama Canal cruise. I realize SS probably has the staff review the upcoming guests and if they've been guests before, but it made us feel very special. We will cruise with SS again, but we will NEVER book well in advance again because I think we paid far too much for the 2 weeks, after others telling us what a steal it was. That made me very angry and made us both feel like we were ripped off, HOWEVER, we did have a great stateroom on the 6th level and we never had the water problems that others had on the 4th level, or the noise problems that those on the 7th level lived with. We did notice that some of the "younger" guests were under dressed, and interestingly enough, my husband was told to go back to the room and get a sports coat when he forgot it, one night in the MDR. He was happy to do it, of course, but we thought it was interesting that they allowed a guy to be in Le Terraza room wearing a Hawaiian shirt, not even tucked in! My husband spoke with the maitre de and he said the gentleman was told to get a jacket and he just sat down and ignored him. So, consider the source, I suppose. Frankly, I was so relieved that he wasn't an "Ugly American" that I didn't care one way or the other.
All this to say, Silverseas is still our favorite and we look forward to our next adventure with them.

Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiogal880 View Post
We also were on the Cloud, Barcelona to Monte Carlo. Our first SS experience was on the Shadow a couple of years ago. We were disappointed in the Cloud for a few non-important reasons, like running out of single malt, diet sprite and a few other things, but mostly our experience was lovely. Our butler, Rachel, was fabulous, and the staff was wonderful. In fact, the first night in the bar, a server, Jovi, welcomed us back, by name, and remembered our favorite drinks! She was on the Shadow when we did the Panama Canal cruise. I realize SS probably has the staff review the upcoming guests and if they've been guests before, but it made us feel very special. We will cruise with SS again, but we will NEVER book well in advance again because I think we paid far too much for the 2 weeks, after others telling us what a steal it was. That made me very angry and made us both feel like we were ripped off, HOWEVER, we did have a great stateroom on the 6th level and we never had the water problems that others had on the 4th level, or the noise problems that those on the 7th level lived with. We did notice that some of the "younger" guests were under dressed, and interestingly enough, my husband was told to go back to the room and get a sports coat when he forgot it, one night in the MDR. He was happy to do it, of course, but we thought it was interesting that they allowed a guy to be in Le Terraza room wearing a Hawaiian shirt, not even tucked in! My husband spoke with the maitre de and he said the gentleman was told to get a jacket and he just sat down and ignored him. So, consider the source, I suppose. Frankly, I was so relieved that he wasn't an "Ugly American" that I didn't care one way or the other.
All this to say, Silverseas is still our favorite and we look forward to our next adventure with them.
radiogal; get yourself a new T.A.. they should have let you know whenever there's a price reduction!

Old May 23rd, 2012, 09:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Radiogal - we were also on deck 6 and had the same butler who did a great job. Before you get too upset about price reductions, keep in mind that frequently the price reductions don't include complimentary air or the same on board credit as you received with your reservation.

Old May 24th, 2012, 11:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

I think you probably did the smartest thing, Radiogal, in booking early because you had a wide choice of cabins. I've also seen Silversea's fares go up as time passes, sometimes quite a lot; these later offers may include new free air or onboard credits (which you may or may not need), but the fare itself was increased.

Similarly, if the price does go down, it mightalso reflect the elimination of free air or credits. Few cabins may be available, probably in less desirable locations (all the way forward, for example, and more affected by noise or motion). Either way, you'd want to do the math to see if the new offer really is better, and if it works for you.

You can always book early as you did, get the cabin of your choice, keep an eye on the pricing, and if see a better deal, ask your travel agent for an adjustment. You might even discuss this subject with your agent now, explain the "steal" that other passengers got, and ask your agent to review how Silversea handles its pricing, so you can plan your future trips most effectively.

Old May 24th, 2012, 01:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emtbsam View Post
Radiogal - we were also on deck 6 and had the same butler who did a great job. Before you get too upset about price reductions, keep in mind that frequently the price reductions don't include complimentary air or the same on board credit as you received with your reservation.
I agree with Emtbsam. Sometimes the deals that are offered are just enticements and can be misleading. We have had a few instances where we have seen deals offered on Silversea cruises that we had booked. The difference is that they don't include shipboard credits, airfare, Venetian Society discounts, etc. And once you look at the price stripped of all the reductions, the prices are typically the same--if not worse.

In all of these instances, the booking price we had was better than the supposed "deal." If you don't care about shipboard credits and can get a good deal on airfare or use miles, cruise-only can be a better deal.

A good TA will keep an eye out for promotions, call Silversea to find out about the offer, do the math comparing your fare and the special offer and advise as to what the better deal is...and ask Silversea for a price adjustment if need be.

When I first started cruising with Silversea, I was very curious about last minute deals. My cruise TA told me that Silversea is not in the habit of doing that like some of the mass market ships. The mass market ships will do crazy last minute deals because if they do not sail with full ships then their staff doesn’t get paid because their staff work for tips instead of a salary like they do on Silversea. If the mass market ships were empty then they would have trouble retaining staff.

She told me she's been selling Silversea for almost ten years, and she would have a lot of angry clients if Silversea made it a practice of having last minute deals all the time. She also said that if you wait until last minute then the availability will not be as good so you may end up paying even more because you will have to go to a higher category cabin.

Old May 24th, 2012, 02:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Agree with Herman. I'll never forget the first time my TA called just prior to final payment to advise fare had been reduced, and this without any loss of perks to me.
Some people have time and expertise to ferret out every possible deal - I salute them. I've always realized I'm paying top dollar for a very satisfactory return on investment -- when that changes, I may change too.

Old May 24th, 2012, 05:11 PM
5,000+ Club

One of the reasons that I switched to my current excellent TA is that my previous one paid no attention to getting a better deal if one came on offer. My current TA has found a better deal for me after booking several times and been able to get it. She also has shown me how some that appear to be "better" are really not--may look better but total price is higher. If your current TA is not keeping on top of this stuff, you need to change. That is what their job is.

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

On the subject of dress code we found that it was adhered to by guests and enforced by crew on our last SS cruise on Spirit.
One evening we watched a particularly beautiful sailaway at 6pm from on deck . My husband was wearing what we call dress shorts - smart and knee length I guess Bermuda shorts. Without giving the time a thought we went into the Panorama Lounge for a drink. The young lady serving at the bar came over to us immediately to gently remind us that it was after 6pm and shorts were not permitted. My husband thanked her for pointing it out, and went away to change into full length trousers.

We didn't see any dress code violations at all during dinner the whole two weeks.

Old May 24th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigella View Post
On the subject of dress code we found that it was adhered to by guests and enforced by crew on our last SS cruise on Spirit.
One evening we watched a particularly beautiful sailaway at 6pm from on deck . My husband was wearing what we call dress shorts - smart and knee length I guess Bermuda shorts. Without giving the time a thought we went into the Panorama Lounge for a drink. The young lady serving at the bar came over to us immediately to gently remind us that it was after 6pm and shorts were not permitted. My husband thanked her for pointing it out, and went away to change into full length trousers.

We didn't see any dress code violations at all during dinner the whole two weeks.
THAT IS VERY ENCOURAGING -- thanks for letting us know.