*My Review of Carnival Destiny 5/5-5/11 with Pics*

cuted126

So here I am again with a review (YAY!) This one is gonna be a little different and nowhere near as lengthy. "Well,why is that?" Glad you asked :) This cruise was a family cruise and it was way different than our other cruises. Not necessarily a bad thing,but just very different. I don't have much to say about the night life on the ship at all and we barely made it to any of the shows. It still was a fun trip though and the kids enjoyed it!

We booked this cruise in January, which is already different cause we didn't have such a long wait. It took no time to get here. I kinda missed that long anticipation and searching everything while waiting months for the big day lol. Strange,I know. Cruising this time was Dh & I and this was my 8th and his 5th cruise. My two sons Shi(11) and DJ(4) and my mom. This was my moms' 5th cruise. My oldest has been on a cruise once and my youngest has never cruised. I was a little iffy about my youngest son because he is soooooo impulsive:eek: I was scared he was gonna think the ocean was a huge bath tub!

Anyway,we are all from Virginia and we took the mighty long drive to MIAMI. Yes,we are absolutely insane!!! We decided not to tell the kids what we were doing or where we were going. All they knew was that we had luggage and they didn't have to go to school! It was sooooooooo hard for me not to slip and say something this last month and packing was a headache cause I was trying to do everything while they were in school!

We left on Friday (May 4) morning and drove til the wee hours of the morning. We stopped at a hotel slept and when we woke up we had a two hour drive left. I could not wait to see how excited the kids would be! They did so well with traveling and being couped up in the car so long! I was really impressed with them! <---Proud mom moment. :p

My oldest loves everything about ships and while we were passing through Ft. Lauderdale, I spotted the Oasis and the Freedom sitting over at Port Everglades. He was so excited and so was I lol! Anyway,when we finally got near the Port of Miami,my oldest shrieked with excitement! He spotted not only one whale tail,but two!! I was so excited to,but I couldn't show it cause then he would've knew. We told him that we would take him closer only so he and I could take photos. He was excited with that. The Destiny and the Liberty were the only two ships in port. We took pics and then we went in the parking deck. For anyone who doesn't know,it is $20 a day to park at the Port Of Miami!

We told my son that we had to park in the deck and wait for our shuttle to take us to our hotel. It helped that there were signs about shuttle buses everywhere. I even pointed to one of the tall buildings and told him that that was our hotel (shame on me lol). Since he had asked so many questions that morning,I told him that DH was coaching a basketball tournament and we just made a family trip out of it. At this point,he still believed that.

So we got our luggage out the car and proceeded to wait for our hotel shuttle ;) We walked across the street and DS was getting a little bummed out that we couldn't go on the Destiny. "It has a slide and everything" he pointed out. I told him I was sorry and that maybe we would go on one soon. We handed our bags to one of the porters,tipped him and then he said "Have a great cruise" The look on my boys face was priceless!

He looked at me and said "Mama,what did he say? It sounds like he said have a great cruise?" I said Noooooo,he didn't say that lol" He knew I was joking and now it was confirmed as we walked in the building! We were going on the Destiny to Jamaica & Grand Cayman! I was so glad to finally tell him all about our upcoming trip and so happy that I could finally show my excitement too:D

Also checked out your blog; too cool! I'm not big into polish on the fingers and I could never pull that stuff off. You do a great job though and it's fun to look at.

Sorry to hijack the thread, waiting for the rest of the review! :)

Check in was pretty smooth. The line to check in was about 15 minutes long and we were given zone 9 cards. We never sat down to wait like on previous cruises though. We went upstairs and waited in another line. The second line is where we waited for while. We got to the port around 10:20 and we were on the ship around 11:30. I am so incredibly happy anytime I see this view

ry%3D400

My first impression of the Destiny was that she kinda looks like the Fantasy Class ships but with the size and lido of the Triumph! Of course they told us to go to deck 9 for lunch and that our rooms would be ready 12:30. The lines were rampant on lido. I didn't even get my beloved first day on cruise burger :( The hot dog wasn't bad though. The lines would end up being a trend on this cruise. No burger that day,but I got my funship special!!!!!! And it did not disappoint!

ry%3D400

I booked room #2333 which is an inside room on Main Deck. I booked room #2335 for my mom. It was directly across the hall from us. It is an L shaped room with two windows,although she paid the inside room price. I do not have good pics of the rooms cause my family got comfortable immediately!!

Our room with my sons sneaker in the middle off the floor in true boy fashion lol

ry%3D400

The setup

ry%3D400

I don't mind inside rooms,but inside rooms for four people=TIGHT.We were bumping into each other all the time. My boys LOVED the bunk beds,but we had our youngest sleep with us cause I was worried about him falling,but look how cozy he is

ry%3D400

A couple of pics of my moms' room. When you first enter,you have the long hallway

ry%3D400

Then you have this area! The bathroom is off to the right of this pic. Since my mom was the only guest in the room she had them put the bunkbed up.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

After we saw our rooms we were ready to see more of the ship. After you've sailed enough,you learn the layout of the ships. So we knew exactly where to go! My mom could seriously get lost in a paper bag,but she pretty much knew her way around this ship! Go mom!

Point After Nightclub (I LOVE how purple it is)

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

My boys decided they wanted to dance!

ry%3D400

Oh Wow! This is going to be a fun review! :):cool:

Kudos to making the long long drive down safe and sound, and being a mum mom for so long!.

Thanks!! It was a long drive,but I am glad they did well with it! In the future,we must fly to Miami! It was kinda fun going,not so much coming back!

Oh my gosh, that is so sweet and cute! I hope you do have pictures of how excited he was!
I wish I did! I had my camera in hand but I have no idea how I forgot to take the pic :( Matter of fact,I didn't get that many pics at all this trip.

Also checked out your blog; too cool! I'm not big into polish on the fingers and I could never pull that stuff off. You do a great job though and it's fun to look at.

Sorry to hijack the thread, waiting for the rest of the review! :)

Aaawwww thanks!!

Great Start! You are so wrong to do your son like that, but i love it,lol...I bet the look on his face was priceless.:D
LOL,you're right but it was soooooo fun!

nice start, as everyone has said already! we will be on Destiny in a few months so can't wait for more info! thanks
Thanks! I am still uploading pics now! Much more to come!

Destiny was our lst CCL cruise and our DS'es lst cruise. We surprised them with the tix at Xmas instead of spending $ on silly things, so the Destiny has a special place in my heart! ;) Now they each have 2 kids of their own, so I am enjoying reading this review as it "takes me back!" :p Thanks for sharing with us!

Great start to your review, looking forward to the rest!

I thinks it's great how you surprised the kids, I could never get away with that though my daughter is way to smart for me :D

Barry

Archived