Box Wine

LisaDoesEarth

I plan on taking boxed wine with me on the cruise to drink in my cabin. Will it fit in the fridge?

The fridge in your cabin is actually a mini bar so it is stocked with bottles of soda, beer, wine, small bottles of liquor, etc. You would have to remove all the items and then I am not sure the boxed wine would fit - depends on how big it is -as the mini bar is small.

We had our steward remove all mini-bar items (wanted to use the fridge for the kids milk and juice, and didn't want them into the soda, etc. - especially at those prices!! LOL)

I've read that in some instances the steward refused to empty the fridge, but we had no problem.

If the fridge is otherwise empty, I think a box of wine would fit - but that's just a guess. Maybe someone else has actually tried it....

If the fridge doesn't work out, you might try something that's worked for me in the past. Open the top of the box and slide an ice pack (or two if they'll fit) between the mylar bag and the side of the box. The wine will stay cool for quite awhile this way, especially if you refrigerate it before hand. After a day or so when the ice pack warms up, if there's nowhere to refreeze it, you can try using a ziplock bag filled with ice in it's place.

One of the "bigger" wine boxes won't fit in the fridge. The newer smaller boxes will fit. The wine is more expensive but the size is more convenient for packing in luggage and fitting in the fridge. I brought 2 with us last week and was able to get one in the fridge.

From what I have read in other posts, CCL allows you to bring one bottle of wine per stateroom; does the box wine count as a “legal” walk on?

I carried a box on; nobody said a word. If questioned, I was ready to use the "box is less likely to break" defense, but none was necessary. So based on my experience, "yes".

P.S Boston does rock! :D

Sox_fan!

Did you also bring it on the plane? We are on a carnival transfer to the dock and will not be able to stop @ the "packy" (MA ref)

You know Logan some baggage guy is likely to find the Fransia and hit the spout!!

Thanks for the reply!..................GO SOX, GO SHILLING!

btw.....how far outside Boston?

So, they are going to stop me because I have my wine in a box via a bottle? They aren't that anal. Ive never had anyone stop me before with my box wine. I'm actually going on board with several bottles of wine. They will be souvenier wine which I will distribute at my wedding reception. Carnival's contract does say that fine bottles of wine and champagne may be brought aboard for special occasions.

From what I have read in other posts, CCL allows you to bring one bottle of wine per stateroom; does the box wine count as a “legal” walk on?

Sox_fan!

Did you also bring it on the plane? We are on a carnival transfer to the dock and will not be able to stop @ the "packy" (MA ref)

You know Logan some baggage guy is likely to find the Fransia and hit the spout!!

No, I didn't carry the box on the plane, but I have carried bottles without any problem. We returned from our last cruise carrying several bottles of liquor we purchased in the duty free shop, so stop at the packy on the way to Logan, pick up a box, and don't let it out of your sight for the sake of everyone's baggage! :eek: (I always wondered why it takes so long to get the bags at baggage claim - that explains it)

You can check the Massport website (massport.com) for a complete list of permitted and prohibited items.

..................GO SOX, GO SHILLING!

btw.....how far outside Boston?

The boys did alright last night, eh? Gotta love 'em!

It's never dull when the Sox and Yanks get togther.

I'm in Boxborough, by the way

Have a wicked good time on your cruise :)

You can check the Massport website (massport.com) for a complete list of permitted and prohibited items.

Thank you for the advice, and the well wishes on the trip:D it should be wicked pissssa!!

so stop at the packy on the way to Logan, pick up a box

That is the plan; after pizza and tips @ Santarpios!!!

Go Sox, Go Pats..................GO CELTS??........3fr!

Thank you for the advice, and the well wishes on the trip:D it should be wicked pissssa!!

Awesome!

That is the plan; after pizza and tips @ Santarpios!!!

A cruise AND Santarpio's ! Aww, you're killin' me! It's never a problem to leave the house early enough (and pray the Callahan's not backed up) to stop there . I've actually checked my bags (2 hrs in advance for an international flight) and gone back for pizza and sausage - beats anything in the airport!

Go Sox, Go Pats..................GO CELTS??........3fr!

Whaddya know about the Celtics! Guess they were feeling left out if it :)

Archived