Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > MSC Cruises
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

MSC Cruises
Read hundreds of MSC Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best MSC Cruise Deals.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 20th, 2012, 07:35 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,774
Default We're onboard MSC's Divina. What do you want to know?

Hello from the Bay of Biscay -- onboard MSC's new Divina. We boarded yesterday at the shipyard (it's the first time I've ever cruised from a shipyard, pretty cool) at St. Nazaire and are heading south to stops in Lisbon, Cadiz for Seville, and Gibraltar before we hop off.

What can I tell you about the ship? Happy to answer any questions and post impressions from time to time (we're also chronicling the trip on Facebook, Twitter, and on our blog so stay tuned).

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #2  
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:02 AM
wilson2579 wilson2579 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: England
Posts: 1,070
Default

Have a great time. We are sailing on the Divina in October.
__________________
Trish







Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:14 AM
Norwegian Cruiser 73's Avatar
Norwegian Cruiser 73 Norwegian Cruiser 73 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 697
Default

Hello from Norway

We are in Yacht Club in early June and would love to know more about the YC area onboard.
I'm also curious about the infinity pool area.

How is MSC Divina compared to her earlier older sisters MSC Fantasia and MSC Splendida?

Enjoy your time onboard.
__________________
Completed cruises:

RCCL : Navigator Of The Seas, June 2009
MSC : MSC Fantasia, September 2010
MSC : MSC Fantasia, Yacht Club, August 2011
RCCL: Brilliance Of The Seas, January 2012
MSC: MSC Divina, Yacht Club, June 2012
MSC: MSC Divina, Yacht Club, March 2013
MSC: MSC Poesia, July 2013
MSC: MSC Preziosa, Yacht Club, July 2013

Upcoming cruises:

MSC: MSC Divina, Yacht Club B2B, August 2014

Last edited by Norwegian Cruiser 73; May 20th, 2012 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:36 AM
MTL=CRUISEFAMILY's Avatar
MTL=CRUISEFAMILY MTL=CRUISEFAMILY is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CANADA,MTL
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic View Post
Hello from the Bay of Biscay -- onboard MSC's new Divina. We boarded yesterday at the shipyard (it's the first time I've ever cruised from a shipyard, pretty cool) at St. Nazaire and are heading south to stops in Lisbon, Cadiz for Seville, and Gibraltar before we hop off.

What can I tell you about the ship? Happy to answer any questions and post impressions from time to time (we're also chronicling the trip on Facebook, Twitter, and on our blog so stay tuned).

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown
Editor in Chief
Cruise Critic
Would it be possible to inquire what itineraries are in the plans once the Divina is in the carribbean for late 2013, and if the Poesia will still be sailing out of Fort Lauderdale .

Thanks in advance
__________________
"Cruising means, having nothing to do, and not enough time to do it"
MSC Lirica Feb 09 - MSC Poesia - Feb 10 - NCL Dawn - Feb 11
Celebrity Constellation Feb 12 - Celebrity Century March 13
- MSC Divina - Feb 14 B2B
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:03 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,774
Default

Hi, will check on itineraries -- good question! Yes, Poesia will stay in Ft. Lauderdale. The problem for Divina is that Port Everglades didn't have weekend space for her....

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL=CRUISEFAMILY View Post
Would it be possible to inquire what itineraries are in the plans once the Divina is in the carribbean for late 2013, and if the Poesia will still be sailing out of Fort Lauderdale .

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:05 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,774
Default What do you call this pool on Divina?

One of the all-new concepts introduced by MSC on Divina is the infinity pool. But I don't know, it doesn't look like that to me -- looks like a pool with a very large tile "beach" -- what's your take?

Carolyn
Attached Images
File Type: jpg is this an infinity pool take 2?.jpg (16.3 KB, 261 views)
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:06 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,774
Default

Thanks, Trish.

My husband has already -- after less than 24 hours onboard -- told me that we're going to sail Divina again once it comes to the Caribbean. I think it will be an awesome ship there -- so much outside deck space (it's kind of cold, though fortunately sunny, here in the Atlantic).

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson2579 View Post
Have a great time. We are sailing on the Divina in October.
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old May 20th, 2012, 01:06 PM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,774
Default

Hi Norwegian Cruiser. Before I respond I have a question: Did you do Yacht Club on either Fantasia or Splendida (no worries either way, just curious).

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwegian Cruiser 73 View Post
Hello from Norway

We are in Yacht Club in early June and would love to know more about the YC area onboard.
I'm also curious about the infinity pool area.

How is MSC Divina compared to her earlier older sisters MSC Fantasia and MSC Splendida?

Enjoy your time onboard.
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old May 20th, 2012, 02:09 PM
Norwegian Cruiser 73's Avatar
Norwegian Cruiser 73 Norwegian Cruiser 73 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Norway
Posts: 697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic View Post
Hi Norwegian Cruiser. Before I respond I have a question: Did you do Yacht Club on either Fantasia or Splendida (no worries either way, just curious).

Carolyn
We did Yacht Club on Fantasia last summer A great experience and we are very excited about MSC Divina and the YC onboard there. Thank you very much
__________________
Completed cruises:

RCCL : Navigator Of The Seas, June 2009
MSC : MSC Fantasia, September 2010
MSC : MSC Fantasia, Yacht Club, August 2011
RCCL: Brilliance Of The Seas, January 2012
MSC: MSC Divina, Yacht Club, June 2012
MSC: MSC Divina, Yacht Club, March 2013
MSC: MSC Poesia, July 2013
MSC: MSC Preziosa, Yacht Club, July 2013

Upcoming cruises:

MSC: MSC Divina, Yacht Club B2B, August 2014
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old May 20th, 2012, 03:19 PM
travellersontour travellersontour is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 118
Default just wondering....

Hi there,
We are booked on Divinia in October and are really looking forward to it. We've never done MSC before and have read mixed reviews about the availability of food/tea/coffee. Is Divinia quite different from RCCL in this way? Thank you and enjoy!!
__________________
Cruises Done
Sovereign of the Seas Jan 2007
Majesty of the Seas Aug 2007
Mariner of the Seas Aug 2008
P and O Oceana Sep 2008
Splendour of the Seas Oct 2008
Ruby Princess Feb 2009
Ncl Jade May 2009
Caribbean Princess Aug 2009
Navigator of the Seas Oct 2009
Mariner of the Seas Feb 2010
Oasis of the Seas Aug 2010
Adventure of the Seas Oct 2010
Adventure of the Seas Nov 2010
Monarch of the Seas Apr 2011
Ncl Jade Oct 2011
Navigator of the Seas Jan 2012
Allure of the Seas Aug 2012
MSC Divina Oct 2012
Liberty Of the Seas Oct2013 Transatlantic.
MSC Lirica Feb 2014 Dubai and Emirates
Future Cruises
Cunard QM2 August 2014
P&o Arcadia August 2014




Last edited by travellersontour; May 20th, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:45 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,774
Default

Hi, I got more info. Divina will be sailing eastern and western Caribbean itineraries from Miami to the usual marquee ports (Cozumel, and Grand Cayman, along with Falmouth, in the west, and St. Maarten/St. Thomas in the east). But here's the cool news: On both swings the ship will call at NCL's Great Stirrup Cay, its private island.

At this point there's been no announcement about Poesia remaining in S. Florida during that winter season (remember we're talking Fall 2013, so a year and a half away). BUT I have heard rumors that a Poesia-class ship may well also be based in S. Florida over the winter months (and even that a Lirica-class vessel may ultimately, a couple of years down the road, be in North America year-round -- that's a first for MSC if that happens).

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL=CRUISEFAMILY View Post
Would it be possible to inquire what itineraries are in the plans once the Divina is in the carribbean for late 2013, and if the Poesia will still be sailing out of Fort Lauderdale .

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:48 AM
editor@cruisecritic editor@cruisecritic is offline
Editor
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,774
Default

So far, the food's been on a par with Royal Caribbean -- sometimes wonderful, sometimes okay, generally just fine. There's 24-hour room service, the buffet's open for breakfast lunch and dinner (and then some), and there are 24-hour beverage stations so I don't think you need to worry!

What I really like about MSC as compared to many US-based lines is that the specialty restaurants are almost always open for lunch as well as dinner and that's in-port as well on sea days.

One thing to be aware of: In the specialty restaurants there's no service fee -- but you'll pay a'la carte prices. For instance, in Sacramento, the ship's steakhouse/burger joint, I had a (way too) massive cheeseburger with fries and a small beer for 8 euro. I thought it was good value.

Let me know if you have other questions!

Carolyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellersontour View Post
Hi there,
We are booked on Divinia in October and are really looking forward to it. We've never done MSC before and have read mixed reviews about the availability of food/tea/coffee. Is Divinia quite different from RCCL in this way? Thank you and enjoy!!
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old May 21st, 2012, 11:44 AM
seabourndt's Avatar
seabourndt seabourndt is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: acton,london
Posts: 2,837
Smile wow

i am boarding her on sunday only ha an insiude cabin on deck 10 butb really looking forward to it. hope to try a few of the other dining places can you recommend any and do youhave to book
dave
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old May 21st, 2012, 02:57 PM
travellersontour travellersontour is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: ENGLAND
Posts: 118
Default Thanks

Hi again! Thanks for the reply..glad food is good and I like the sound of the speciality restaurants.We are travelling with our 13yr old son who has asked if you can find out the price of the F1 simulator please? We are not sure if we should get him a teen card to pay for this-are you able to find out where else the teen card can be spent?
Thanks again-it is soooo useful to have you there on board! Hope you are continuing to enjoy xx
__________________
Cruises Done
Sovereign of the Seas Jan 2007
Majesty of the Seas Aug 2007
Mariner of the Seas Aug 2008
P and O Oceana Sep 2008
Splendour of the Seas Oct 2008
Ruby Princess Feb 2009
Ncl Jade May 2009
Caribbean Princess Aug 2009
Navigator of the Seas Oct 2009
Mariner of the Seas Feb 2010
Oasis of the Seas Aug 2010
Adventure of the Seas Oct 2010
Adventure of the Seas Nov 2010
Monarch of the Seas Apr 2011
Ncl Jade Oct 2011
Navigator of the Seas Jan 2012
Allure of the Seas Aug 2012
MSC Divina Oct 2012
Liberty Of the Seas Oct2013 Transatlantic.
MSC Lirica Feb 2014 Dubai and Emirates
Future Cruises
Cunard QM2 August 2014
P&o Arcadia August 2014



Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:47 PM
MTL=CRUISEFAMILY's Avatar
MTL=CRUISEFAMILY MTL=CRUISEFAMILY is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: CANADA,MTL
Posts: 726
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by editor@cruisecritic View Post
Hi, I got more info. Divina will be sailing eastern and western Caribbean itineraries from Miami to the usual marquee ports (Cozumel, and Grand Cayman, along with Falmouth, in the west, and St. Maarten/St. Thomas in the east). But here's the cool news: On both swings the ship will call at NCL's Great Stirrup Cay, its private island.

At this point there's been no announcement about Poesia remaining in S. Florida during that winter season (remember we're talking Fall 2013, so a year and a half away). BUT I have heard rumors that a Poesia-class ship may well also be based in S. Florida over the winter months (and even that a Lirica-class vessel may ultimately, a couple of years down the road, be in North America year-round -- that's a first for MSC if that happens).

Carolyn
Thank you
Great news...
We really enjoyed our MSC CRUISES and the European feel.
__________________
"Cruising means, having nothing to do, and not enough time to do it"
MSC Lirica Feb 09 - MSC Poesia - Feb 10 - NCL Dawn - Feb 11
Celebrity Constellation Feb 12 - Celebrity Century March 13
- MSC Divina - Feb 14 B2B
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old May 23rd, 2012, 08:47 PM
martyricky's Avatar
martyricky martyricky is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: London
Posts: 14
Smile

Hope the weather picks up for you on what sounds like an exciting trip.

We just booked last minute (so will start thinking of my questions!) to sail in a couple of weeks.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:17 AM
seabourndt's Avatar
seabourndt seabourndt is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: acton,london
Posts: 2,837
Smile thanks

not seen a reply to my question as yet i hope all went well my msc opera ship visit did not go too well saw no cabins at all!!!
dave
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old May 24th, 2012, 02:14 PM
mosstraveltv's Avatar
mosstraveltv mosstraveltv is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Leeds
Posts: 118
Smile

I'm on Divina in late July sailing from Venice.

Can you give an idea of what the bar prices are like please? A draught beer, glass of wine, bottle of wine, spirit and mixer etc.

Is there a self-service restaurant or a casual dining option should we not wish to use the main restaurant at any point?

Is there a 24 hour food service, or is it just set meal times?

I'm thinking of putting a bottle of whisky in my suitcase to take onboard - what is the likelihood of my suitcase being opened / scanned - am I wasting my time trying?

Will I get lost!?

Thanks
__________________
July 2013: Costa Mediterranea (Greek Islands)
July / August 2012: MSC Divina (Eastern Mediterranean)
August 2011: Thomson Destiny (Jewels of the Mediterranean)
July / August 2010: Thomson Destiny (Moorish Delights / Mediterranean Renaissance)
July 2009: Thomson Celebration (Pearls of the Aegean)

My Travel Video Channel: http://www.mosstravel.tv
My Twitter: @mosstraveltv

Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:04 PM
AmoMondo AmoMondo is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edinburgh UK
Posts: 6,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabourndt View Post
not seen a reply to my question as yet i hope all went well my msc opera ship visit did not go too well saw no cabins at all!!!
dave
Wouldn't worry about not having seen a cabin on the Opera, Dave, as they are not that similar to the Fantasia class ones. The Opera's are much smaller with fewer modern features eg no wifi in cabins, no interactive TV etc.
__________________
MSC Armonia - Las palmas to Venice - Mar 14
Costa Fortuna - Arabian Gulf - jan 14
MSC Musica - Eastern Med & Black Sea - Oct 13
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Aug 13
MSC Sinfonia - Western Med - May 13
Costa Atlantica - Arabian Gulf - Mar 13
MSC Musica - Greek Isles - Sept 12
MSC Opera - Buenos Aires to Southampton Apr 12
Costa Favolosa - Arabian Gulf - Jan 12
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Oct 11
Costa Romantica - Indian Ocean - Jan 11
MSC Musica - Venice to Rio - Nov 10
MSC Melody - Med & Black Sea - Jul 10
MSC Sinfonia - Livorno to Durban - Oct-Nov 09
MSC Fantasia - Western Med - Apr 09
MSC Lirica - Dover to Genoa - Sept 08
MSC Lirica - Transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale - Dover) - Mar-Apr 08
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Sep 07
MSC Opera - - Jul 07
MSC Opera - Eastern & Southern Caribbean - Jan 07
MSC Opera - Western Med - May 06
MSC Opera - Transatlantic (Genoa - Fort Lauderdale) Dec 05-Jan 06
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Jun 05

Last edited by AmoMondo; May 24th, 2012 at 03:12 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old May 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM
AmoMondo AmoMondo is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edinburgh UK
Posts: 6,329
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosstraveltv View Post
I'm on Divina in late July sailing from Venice.

Can you give an idea of what the bar prices are like please? A draught beer, glass of wine, bottle of wine, spirit and mixer etc.

Is there a self-service restaurant or a casual dining option should we not wish to use the main restaurant at any point?

Is there a 24 hour food service, or is it just set meal times?

I'm thinking of putting a bottle of whisky in my suitcase to take onboard - what is the likelihood of my suitcase being opened / scanned - am I wasting my time trying?

Will I get lost!?

Thanks
Hopefully you'll get a reply directly from the cc editor but in case not, here's the answers to some of them.

There is now a casual dining option across the fleet for a limited period of time in the buffet in the evening. On the Fantasia class ship's you'll also have the options of speciality dining as an alternative but obviously that will cost extra.

Food is not available 24 hours. Breakfast and lunch are available for 3 hours (2 hours in MDR), although they occasionally extend the buffet time depending on port times. There is afternoon tea and then dinner, followed by snacks later. Expect a few hours in the morning and afternoon when none of the free options are a aklable. You can order room service anytime but that costs extra (except for breakfast which is free)

They are not very good at enforcing their dukes, so I thin you'd be unlucky if they were to confiscate your bottle of Whisky. Fairly good chance it will go unnoticed.
__________________
MSC Armonia - Las palmas to Venice - Mar 14
Costa Fortuna - Arabian Gulf - jan 14
MSC Musica - Eastern Med & Black Sea - Oct 13
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Aug 13
MSC Sinfonia - Western Med - May 13
Costa Atlantica - Arabian Gulf - Mar 13
MSC Musica - Greek Isles - Sept 12
MSC Opera - Buenos Aires to Southampton Apr 12
Costa Favolosa - Arabian Gulf - Jan 12
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Oct 11
Costa Romantica - Indian Ocean - Jan 11
MSC Musica - Venice to Rio - Nov 10
MSC Melody - Med & Black Sea - Jul 10
MSC Sinfonia - Livorno to Durban - Oct-Nov 09
MSC Fantasia - Western Med - Apr 09
MSC Lirica - Dover to Genoa - Sept 08
MSC Lirica - Transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale - Dover) - Mar-Apr 08
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Sep 07
MSC Opera - - Jul 07
MSC Opera - Eastern & Southern Caribbean - Jan 07
MSC Opera - Western Med - May 06
MSC Opera - Transatlantic (Genoa - Fort Lauderdale) Dec 05-Jan 06
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Jun 05
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:13 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.