Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Private Islands
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Private Islands Disney's Castaway Cay, Carnival Corp.'s Grand Turk & Half Moon Cay, RCI's Labadee & Coco Cay, Princess Cays etc.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:33 PM
gatur123fl gatur123fl is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 8
Default Can you use your own snorkel gear on CoCo Cay?

I did a chat message with Royal Caribbean and they said to use our own snorkeling equipment and snorkel on CoCo cay it would be the same cost as if we did the excursion. Has that been your experience? Maybe the person who looked it up was mistaken?
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:39 PM
reallyitsmema's Avatar
reallyitsmema reallyitsmema is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatur123fl View Post
I did a chat message with Royal Caribbean and they said to use our own snorkeling equipment and snorkel on CoCo cay it would be the same cost as if we did the excursion. Has that been your experience? Maybe the person who looked it up was mistaken?
Yes, you can use your own equipment to snorkel on your own. If you are going on the excursion, then you have to pay the price of the snorkel excursion whether you use your equipment or theirs.

We use our own equipment and snorkel on our own. There are a couple of buoys that mark a sunken plane and a boat. We just went out to those.

If you don't own a snorkel vest, you will be required to rent one since those are required. They rent for less than $10 as far as I can remember.

Last edited by reallyitsmema; May 25th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old May 25th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Scotty G's Avatar
Scotty G Scotty G is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Viera, Florida
Posts: 2,501
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatur123fl View Post
I did a chat message with Royal Caribbean and they said to use our own snorkeling equipment and snorkel on CoCo cay it would be the same cost as if we did the excursion. Has that been your experience? Maybe the person who looked it up was mistaken?
DW uses her own equipment including snorkel vest and there is no charge to go in the water at Coco Cay.
__________________
Ian and Linda
RCI Crown and Anchor Diamond Plus (407)
Celebrity Captains Club Elite (375)


Cunard-White Star MV Georgic July 1951 Southampton - NYC; family from Fife to America; Song of America May '96, '97 & '98 Bermuda; Nordic Empress May '99, Jun '01 Bermuda; Sovereign of the Seas May & Nov '00, Apr & Nov '01, Oct '03, May '04, Nov '05, Jun '07, Mar '08 The Bahamas; Monarch of the Seas Jan '03 Central Caribbean, Apr, Jun, Nov '09 B2B, Apr, Sep, Nov, Dec '10, Apr, Sep '11, Jan, May, Jun, Sep (x2), Oct '12 The Bahamas; Mar/Apr '13, Farewell Week Cruises; Celebrity Horizon Oct '04, Bermuda; Mariner of the Seas May & Oct '08 E. & W. Caribbean; Freedom of the Seas Oct '09 E. Caribbean, May '11, April '12, Dec '13; Jewel of the Seas Jan '10 & Jan '11 Ultimate Caribbean, Nov and Dec '11; Feb/Mar '12 Western Caribbean; Celebrity Equinox Feb '12, 10 night; Dec '12, 11 night - Ultimate Caribbean; Enchantment of the Seas Apr/May, Jul, Sep, Oct/Nov, Dec '13, Mar/Apr '14 - The Bahamas; Brilliance of the Seas Feb '14 Western Caribbean, B2B; Celebrity Constellation Apr '14, Western Caribbean; Vision of the Seas May '14, Western Caribbean; Aug '14, Bermuda and The Bahamas
Most Recent: Freedom Of The Seas, Sep/Oct '14 W. Caribbean

FUTURE:


Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:08 PM
Loucat's Avatar
Loucat Loucat is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,091
Default

We always bring our own snorkel equipment, vests included. I do not want to relay on anyone's disinfecting equipment and some of the quality of constantly used equipment is not that great. We had fun snorkeling in CoCo Key. We live in Florida and drive to the port so we also brought an umbrella with a high sun screen level. It folds right up!
__________________
Loucat

Caribbean Princess 2/12; 8/14
HAL Eurodam 1/12
Liberty OTS 5/11
NCL Sky 7/10; 5/13 Dawn 12/12; 12/13
Independence OTS 1/09
Celebrity Solstice 12/09
Radiance OTS 12/06; 2/07; 10/10
Jewel OTS 11/07; 4/09; 10/12
Empress OTS 3/05; 10/06;
Grandeur OTS 6/07
Enchantment OTS 11/05; 6/06; 11/09
Navigator OTS 6/05; 3/07
Explorer OTS Western 6/04; 1/05
Majesty OTS 11/04; 9/07; 12/08; 6/11
Azamara Quest 2/08
Adventure OTS 5/08
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old May 25th, 2012, 08:39 PM
orville99 orville99 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,071
Default

We always use our own gear, even when we book an excursion, but there 's no need to book anything at coco cay if you want to snorkle anywhere on the island.
Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old May 25th, 2012, 09:22 PM
Hal from Ohio's Avatar
Hal from Ohio Hal from Ohio is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Orrville, Ohio
Posts: 222
Exclamation Use your own gear

My sister works in the health care field, and without sharing graphic details, has told me of unpleasant health issues as a direct result of unsanitary snorkel equipment rentals. Go to your nearest Sam's Club or Costco and purchase a decent quality mask/snorkel for around $50.
__________________
Explorer 7/01
Explorer 2/02
Navigator 4/03
Mariner 2/04
Adventure 4/05
Mariner 10/05
Explorer 11/06
Millennium 3/08
Solstice 3/09
Jewel 10/09
Freedom 4/10

"The worst cruise we ever had was .... almost wonderful"
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:13 PM
WhiteRabbit's Avatar
WhiteRabbit WhiteRabbit is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Sunny Southwest
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
We use our own equipment and snorkel on our own. There are a couple of buoys that mark a sunken plane and a boat. We just went out to those.

If you don't own a snorkel vest, you will be required to rent one since those are required. They rent for less than $10 as far as I can remember.
So if we want to snorkel around the sunken plane and boat, we need to rent the vests, but if we snorkel just off the beach, do we still need the vests? Can you put the cost of the vest on your sea card, or do we need cash? Is the rental for all day, or by the hour? Thanks : )
__________________
Some white rabbits can be brown, can't they?
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:18 PM
clarea's Avatar
clarea clarea is offline
40,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 43,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
So if we want to snorkel around the sunken plane and boat, we need to rent the vests, but if we snorkel just off the beach, do we still need the vests? Can you put the cost of the vest on your sea card, or do we need cash? Is the rental for all day, or by the hour? Thanks : )
The cost of the vest can be put on your Seapass and is for all day. I don't know exactly where the lifeguards will start yelling at you if you don't have a vest, but at some point they will. By the way, snorkeling just off the beach would be pointless because the water is all stirred up and you can't see much of anything until you get away from the beach.
__________________
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:25 PM
WhiteRabbit's Avatar
WhiteRabbit WhiteRabbit is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Sunny Southwest
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarea View Post
The cost of the vest can be put on your Seapass and is for all day. I don't know exactly where the lifeguards will start yelling at you if you don't have a vest, but at some point they will. By the way, snorkeling just off the beach would be pointless because the water is all stirred up and you can't see much of anything until you get away from the beach.
Thanks so much! So are there other places besides the sunken boat and plane that are worth checking out? We leave tomorrow for our July 15th cruise on the Freedom and I'm trying to figure out how much cash to bring with us. We're also going parasailing on Coco Cay and trying to figure the tip. Fun days ahead!
__________________
Some white rabbits can be brown, can't they?
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:31 PM
clarea's Avatar
clarea clarea is offline
40,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 43,249
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
Thanks so much! So are there other places besides the sunken boat and plane that are worth checking out? We leave tomorrow for our July 15th cruise on the Freedom and I'm trying to figure out how much cash to bring with us. We're also going parasailing on Coco Cay and trying to figure the tip. Fun days ahead!
Yes, if you are on the beach looking at the lifeguard stations, to the left is a large area between rocks that you can swim thru to get to a more interesting reef area. You can't go too far because there are buoys out there to delimit the safe swimming area. Currents can be stronger in this area.
__________________
Bob

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:34 PM
reallyitsmema's Avatar
reallyitsmema reallyitsmema is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 8,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
Thanks so much! So are there other places besides the sunken boat and plane that are worth checking out? We leave tomorrow for our July 15th cruise on the Freedom and I'm trying to figure out how much cash to bring with us. We're also going parasailing on Coco Cay and trying to figure the tip. Fun days ahead!
We primarily stayed in the area where the plane is and the rocky area off to the left of the plane. Closer to shore is really stirred up as clarea said and not worth it. My son actually dropped his mask somewhere in that area and we never found it because the water was all stirred up and you couldn't see the bottom.

You can charge to your seapass everywhere except the little straw market so bring cash if you are planning to buy anything.
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:37 PM
WhiteRabbit's Avatar
WhiteRabbit WhiteRabbit is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Sunny Southwest
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarea View Post
Yes, if you are on the beach looking at the lifeguard stations, to the left is a large area between rocks that you can swim thru to get to a more interesting reef area. You can't go too far because there are buoys out there to delimit the safe swimming area. Currents can be stronger in this area.
Thank you! We're really looking forward to some beach time : )
__________________
Some white rabbits can be brown, can't they?
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old July 12th, 2012, 03:39 PM
WhiteRabbit's Avatar
WhiteRabbit WhiteRabbit is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The Sunny Southwest
Posts: 100
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
We primarily stayed in the area where the plane is and the rocky area off to the left of the plane. Closer to shore is really stirred up as clarea said and not worth it. My son actually dropped his mask somewhere in that area and we never found it because the water was all stirred up and you couldn't see the bottom.

You can charge to your seapass everywhere except the little straw market so bring cash if you are planning to buy anything.
I thought I remembered reading that, but wasn't sure since I've read soooo much stuff lately! This makes it easier to plan. Thanks!
__________________
Some white rabbits can be brown, can't they?
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:02 PM
we're sailing away....'s Avatar
we're sailing away.... we're sailing away.... is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 15,315
Default

You have to wear a vest ...
__________________
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages; 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages; 24 days
Holland: 11 voyages 152 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages; 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages; 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages; 35 days
Vantage: River 2 voyage 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 66 Cruises 604 days

NOT YET SAILED
Holland Ryndam 1/15 -14 days
Holland Maasdam 3/15 - 14 days
Holland Rotterdam 4/15 - 18 days
Holland Veendam 6/15 - 14 days
Vantage River Cruise 8/15 - 21 days
Princess Emerald 8/15 -14 days
Holland Eurodam 9 /15 -17 days
Celeberity Xpedition 11/15 - 10 days
Holland Prinsendam 11/15 - 25 days
Holland Volendam 2/16 -28 days
Holland Volendam 3/16 - 30 days
Holland Volendam 3/16 - 35 days
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:29 PM
orville99 orville99 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,071
Default

We always use our own gear. There's a spit of land that juts out and separates the snorlke beach from the next section of the beach, and we've had good luck seeing fish, rays, etc. without having to go out to the plane area.
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old July 12th, 2012, 04:36 PM
BecciBoo's Avatar
BecciBoo BecciBoo is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Spring Branch Texas
Posts: 13,374
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarea View Post
The cost of the vest can be put on your Seapass and is for all day. I don't know exactly where the lifeguards will start yelling at you if you don't have a vest, but at some point they will. By the way, snorkeling just off the beach would be pointless because the water is all stirred up and you can't see much of anything until you get away from the beach.
We have never been yelled at or forced to wear anything on all 3 trips to CoCoCay. And visability depends on the beach, we had terrific viz at the sports beach where I saw my first ever octopus:
View My Video Keep looking he's there, clutching a white shell! Heres a still, he is in the upper right corner, pretty in pink:
Try to continue on around the back to the way back beaches, real shallow water and tones of critters and no people. We love it back there.
__________________
143 Days at Sea with RCCL
7 with Celebrity
4 with Carnival






Last edited by BecciBoo; July 12th, 2012 at 04:40 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:11 PM
orville99 orville99 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecciBoo View Post
We have never been yelled at or forced to wear anything on all 3 trips to CoCoCay. And visability depends on the beach, we had terrific viz at the sports beach where I saw my first ever octopus:
View My Video Keep looking he's there, clutching a white shell! Heres a still, he is in the upper right corner, pretty in pink:
Try to continue on around the back to the way back beaches, real shallow water and tones of critters and no people. We love it back there.
Apparently, he's a permanent resident. I just looked at my UW pix from our May FOS cruise, and there he was. Also saw a baby ray.
Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:32 PM
BecciBoo's Avatar
BecciBoo BecciBoo is offline
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Spring Branch Texas
Posts: 13,374
Default

Oh could you share, was he still at the same location in front of the sports beach amongst the rocks and coral?
__________________
143 Days at Sea with RCCL
7 with Celebrity
4 with Carnival





Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old July 12th, 2012, 06:55 PM
orville99 orville99 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,071
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecciBoo View Post
Oh could you share, was he still at the same location in front of the sports beach amongst the rocks and coral?

I found him in the rocky area between the snorkle beach and where they have the floats and the jet ski's
Attached Files
File Type: pdf CoCo Cay Octopus.pdf (174.5 KB, 49 views)
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old July 12th, 2012, 07:30 PM
kingsgirl's Avatar
kingsgirl kingsgirl is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 4,190
Thumbs up This is what you can see.....

Just wanted to add some photos of the fish/sea life we saw the last time we were at Coco Cay.

We went off the same beach everyone is talking about. We also went out and to the left and it gets about 6-8 feet deep and very clear. The current is stronger out here and honestly, I was a little scared a shark would come up as it seemed to drop off so we went back to the other area. It's something different to see though and it's initially where we ran into the stingray.

First picture is of sea urchin. They are under the rock but a bit hard to see. I have no idea what all the fish are but we saw a cool variety.

And, I don't care if I get flamed for this, but another cruiser showed us how much the fish like to eat cereal (Rice Krispies/ Special K) so we usually take some from the ship and feed them. We literally had a hundred or more fish around us when this guy fed them. So much that you were being hit by their fins....kinda gross but a fun experience.

Just REMEMBER to bring the plastic bag back with you to the beach so it doesn't harm any other ocean life. It's super fun, trust me! I usually put the plastic in my bathing suit so I don't have to hold on to it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 252_39582515365_5248_n.jpg (23.2 KB, 96 views)
File Type: jpg 252_39582525365_5809_n-1.jpg (31.2 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg 252_39582535365_6365_n.jpg (20.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg 252_39582540365_6637_n.jpg (19.5 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 252_39582555365_7463_n.jpg (15.5 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 252_39583960365_4490_n.jpg (24.8 KB, 63 views)
File Type: jpg 252_39584495365_8289_n.jpg (20.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg 252_39584765365_2878_n.jpg (30.6 KB, 63 views)
__________________
Majesty of the Seas - - Bahamas: Mar. 11, 2013
Majesty of the Seas - - Bahamas: May 5, 2008
Serenade of the Seas - - Alaska: May 26, 2007
Majesty of the Seas - - Bahamas: Jan 31, 2005
_____________________________________
"Twenty years from now you will be more
disappointed by the things that you didn't
do than by the ones you did do. So throw
off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe
harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
-Mark Twain
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:49 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.