Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > P&O Cruises ( UK )

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

P&O Cruises ( UK ) - Company Profile & Ship Reviews

Old May 27th, 2012, 05:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Getting to Bruges from Zeebrugge

Hi, we are on the Iceland / Fijords Ventura cruise next weekend. We visit Zeebrugge for Bruges as a final destination port. I would be grateful if you could let us have any tips for getting from Zeebrugge to Bruges ie. by taxi or train etc. How easy is it and how much does it cost? Any help would be appreciated!

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 28th, 2012, 03:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

The shuttle from Zeebrugge will drop you close to the railway station in Blankenberg.
Trains to Bruges run hourly, fare is approx. €8 return

Old May 28th, 2012, 06:11 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Make sure you compare the time of the last shuttle bus from Blankenberg with the arrival time in Blankenberg of your chosen train back from Bruges. My recollection is that the last shuttle bus departs before the arrival of the (theoretically) last train from Bruges.
Azura 2015 - W Mediterranean
-------------------------
Already enjoyed:
MSC Sinfonia (2005), Norwegian Jewel (2005), Galaxy (2006 & 2007), Braemar (2007), Oriana (2008 & 2012), Ventura (2008, 2010, 2011 & 2013), Celebrity Solstice (2009), Arcadia (2010 & 2012), Black Watch (2011)

My Blog: http://tomscruiseblog.co.uk

Old May 28th, 2012, 07:22 AM
5,000+ Club

Normally a free P&O shuttle from ship to Blankengurge station. Train takes 13 mins to Bruges, return ticket €5.60. The walk into Bruges is about 10-15 mins, on level ground

BUT
This month, but I don't know if it changes for June, there's only one train per hour (11mins past the hour Blankenburge-Bruges, 36 mins past the hour Bruges-Blankenburge). Since the time that your shuttle arrives at the station is pot-luck, and you have limited return times, the train may cost you a lot of time.

Taxis on the quayside are an exhorbitant €50 each-way, but some are 6/7 seaters so if you're amongst the first off the ship you should be able to share at reasonable cost pp. They'll drop you where you want - probably the GrosMarkt/Belfry

Ship's transfer buses to Bruges (charged) aren't allowed in town, the drop point is about a 15 min walk. Usually there's a little shuttlebus from drop point to town, about €1 e/w, but its a pleasant level walk

JB

Last edited by John Bull; May 28th, 2012 at 07:23 AM.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 08:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for your responses which have all been very helpful.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 09:36 AM
Cool Cruiser

We were there on Azura yesterday. Took the shuttle to Blankenburg then the train which as above is 11 mins past the hour. Shuttle stops in a square next to the station. Its a nice walk from Bruges station into town. We arrived in Bruges at around 11.25, toured the town, had Frites and waffles and later a beer. Saw the main sights, climbed the tower, bought chocolates and were back on the 14.36 train back to Blankenburg. Only three hours but it was plenty and similar to the amount of time the ships tours gave you. We were half an hour late arriving into port in the morning otherwise we could have caught the train into Bruges an hour earlier.

Made for a very nice day at a fraction of the ships tour or transfer.

Celebrity Eclipse - Med May 2014
Celebrity Eclipse - Canary Islands Oct 2014

Cruises to date:

Celebrity Eclipse - Iceland & Fjords July 2013
Adventure of the seas Transatlantic April 2013
Azura -Baltics May 2012
Ventura -Caribbean Jan 2012
Ventura -Med April 2011
Ventura -Caribbean Dec 2010
Azura -Med May 2010
Independence of the Seas -Med April 2009

Old June 2nd, 2012, 10:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you, this is a great help. I hope you are having a lovely time. We haven't been on the Azura, only Ventura and the Arcadia. We sail tomorrow heading for Dublin, Iceland, Norway and Brugge will be our final stop. You will have to let us know what the Azura is like and we could perhaps think about it for another holiday! I see you have been on it once already and the Ventura a few times so it will be interesting to hear your views. Thanks for sparing the time to respond, I hope the weather is good for you.

Old June 2nd, 2012, 12:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchens View Post
Thank you, this is a great help. I hope you are having a lovely time. We haven't been on the Azura, only Ventura and the Arcadia. We sail tomorrow heading for Dublin, Iceland, Norway and Brugge will be our final stop. You will have to let us know what the Azura is like and we could perhaps think about it for another holiday! I see you have been on it once already and the Ventura a few times so it will be interesting to hear your views. Thanks for sparing the time to respond, I hope the weather is good for you.
Actually we are back home now as Bruges was the full stop on a lovely cruise. If you like Ventura then you will like Azura. Virtually the same ship. Only differences really are that Azura has the paid for Retreat at the front of the top deck and has the Glass House where Ramblas is on Ventura. Other differences are minor. Azura has the seascreen where Ventura has the coveted pool.

I would be happy to go on either ship dependant on itiniary and price. Enjoy your cruise.

Cruises to date:

Azura -Baltics May 2012
Ventura -Med April 2011
Azura -Med May 2010

Old June 2nd, 2012, 02:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

The coveted pool sounds nice

Brian
Previously sailed on:- Island Escape, Ocean Village, Fred Olsen's Balmoral, plus river cruises of The Nile, and Rhine/Main/Danube.Oceana E206 Atlantic Coast, Oceana E214 Norwegian Fjords Grand Event Cruise,Oceana E229 Christmas Cruise Oceana E310 Western Med

Old June 2nd, 2012, 04:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorsetlad View Post
The coveted pool sounds nice

Brian
Yes it is well coverted due to its cover....

Cruises to date:

Azura -Baltics May 2012
Ventura -Med April 2011
Azura -Med May 2010