Texas spring break deal 2014

We went on the Mariner from Galveston this March during spring break, and suprisingly, it was great. I had booked it way in advance and got a hump balcony on deck 7 for $1810 total for the 2 of us..Royal did not have their dates correct, and raised prices over double that when they realized..Now I check for 2014, and if I am correct in my research, Texas spring break will be March 9-16...Royal has the Navigator from Galveston for this time frame for like $1898 for a deluxe balcony for 2...Then the following week , the price goes way up, so I believe they did it again. So if anyone needs a SB cruise, and I am indeed correct, I would jump on it now..We are on Carnival Magic Mar 16 , and it was cheap , and their prices for the week before are high...Someone please straighten me out if I am wrong..

Based on a quick search, my son's college has spring break the following week. But, when I checked on a local high school it is the week of March 10. I thought Texas high schools and colleges had the same week off but now I'm not sure!

Regardless, thanks for the info!

I believe they are normally the same date in Tx

Based on a quick search, my son's college has spring break the following week. But, when I checked on a local high school it is the week of March 10. I thought Texas high schools and colleges had the same week off but now I'm not sure!

Regardless, thanks for the info!

I believe they are normally the same date in Tx

There's no uniform date in Texas. But for 2013, it is safe to assume the most common Spring Break week for Texas K-12 schools and colleges = Sat/Sun cruises beginning March 9/10. The second most popular will be the following week = Sat/Sun cruises beginning March 16/17.

Cruising out of Galveston with a bunch of Texans, Cajuns and Sooners is always a lot of fun! ;)

This is for 2014...

There's no uniform date in Texas. But for 2013, it is safe to assume the most common Spring Break week for Texas K-12 schools and colleges = Sat/Sun cruises beginning March 9/10. The second most popular will be the following week = Sat/Sun cruises beginning March 16/17.

Cruising out of Galveston with a bunch of Texans, Cajuns and Sooners is always a lot of fun! ;)

My experience is that Public schools are on spring break the week that contains March 14th. I know this because it is my birthday and my grand kids are always off then. College is often out the next week...again, this is from experience as my daughter is usually off then...so those two weeks tend to be higher in price with the second week being higher because of the college students cruising then...there are exceptions on each side and private schools do their own things...so not a hard, fast rule...Jim

I read this thread with some interest. Due to my husband now becoming a full time college professor, we're going to have to live for Spring Break (or summer) cruising.

His break for next year is March 11-15. I'm not sure about 2014 yet. I'm kind of hesitant about booking a cruise out of Galveston, because I know it will be PACKED! We did cruise this year over Spring Break, but sailed out of San Juan. It wasn't crowded at all - probably because we chose Serenade.

I have always loved our cruises out of Galveston - but am finding some hesitation on pulling the trigger for 2013.

Ann

I was quite worried when I found out our last Mariner cruise from Galveston was spring break, except for the super deal I got. As it turned out, it was our best cruise ever, and from Galveston , the ships are almost always full..Just watch when Royal gets the date straight, the price will go way up...

I read this thread with some interest. Due to my husband now becoming a full time college professor, we're going to have to live for Spring Break (or summer) cruising.

His break for next year is March 11-15. I'm not sure about 2014 yet. I'm kind of hesitant about booking a cruise out of Galveston, because I know it will be PACKED! We did cruise this year over Spring Break, but sailed out of San Juan. It wasn't crowded at all - probably because we chose Serenade.

I have always loved our cruises out of Galveston - but am finding some hesitation on pulling the trigger for 2013.

Ann

We enjoyed the Navigator on a Thanksgiving cruise a couple of years ago. I like the voyager class and loved the Freedom class a bit more. I like cruising from Galveston for the convenience although the ports get a bit repetitive :)

Texas Ann- where will your husband be teaching? We just graduated our daughter and I thought we would be free of school schedules, but DH just took a position to teach a law school class and now we are stuck again!

We cruised on Mariner this year during Spring Break....got a great deal on a JS before Royal figured it out....it went up $1,100.00 per person!

I have booked Navigator for what I believe will be Spring Break 2014 (3-9 to 3-16).....again got a great deal on a JS (middle hump!)...$100 more per person than I paid this year. I bet when Royal figures it out the rates will go sky high again!

I'm the OP. We were on the same cruise as yours in March..We paid $1810 for the 2 of us in 7612 and we met some people that paid.$4500, so like I said it is a steal*now , but won't be later..

We cruised on Mariner this year during Spring Break....got a great deal on a JS before Royal figured it out....it went up $1,100.00 per person!

I have booked Navigator for what I believe will be Spring Break 2014 (3-9 to 3-16).....again got a great deal on a JS (middle hump!)...$100 more per person than I paid this year. I bet when Royal figures it out the rates will go sky high again!

Thanks JC KRUZER for leading me to this thread.

I'm on the Navigator of the Seas March 16 - 23, 2014. We booked this far out because we wanted a good room. The rate wasn't too bad. The last five years we've done Freedom or Oasis ships and wanted to try a Voyager class since we haven't been on this class since 2005.

Anyone else on the Navigator the same week? I started a roll call awhile back but haven't seen any hits yet.

Very interesting! I am a TX college professor and I just looked at our 5 yr calendar and we are that first week. I may jump on this now and just hold it for awhile. We've always wanted to do Galveston (for the short drive), but it was always too high.

My wife teaches also, so I am sure we are correct re: SB dates...If you book it and change your mind, you can always cancel and get a refund...I noticed Carnival's prices are exactly opposite of RCCL for Mar 9 , and Mar 16 ,2014 sailings also ,another clue that Royal has it wrong...

Very interesting! I am a TX college professor and I just looked at our 5 yr calendar and we are that first week. I may jump on this now and just hold it for awhile. We've always wanted to do Galveston (for the short drive), but it was always too high.

The good part is , you can pick your cabin, and you have about a year and a half to cancel with no penalty..

Yup....I'm jumping on it. Will book with a TA that doesn't have cancellation fees. Yikes! I've never booked something out this far LOL

For what its worth our experience when we had one in college in TX and one still in high school in TX was that they always had different spring breaks, which was a bummer for family travel. .

I saw the great prices for the week of March 10-14 also so I have a cabin reserved hoping that I'm right. I've done alot of research looking for approved college and isd calendars for 2014. So far Texas Tech , UT El Paso, and Austin ISD seem to be going with the following week. Everyone (~10) else is March 10-14. Austin and Dripping Springs said they will align with UT Austin but their calendar isn't out yet. Round Rock ISD is the closest to us and they've gone with March 10-14. It could be a mixed year for spring break. If I'm wrong, I'll just cancel. I thought about reserving the Magic sailing the following week just to be safe, but I haven't done it yet. I suspect many will double book these cruises so there will be alot of cancellations early next year when the calendars come out.

We have a roll call thread started if anyone is interested in joining.

My husband teaches in Boerne ISD (north of San Antonio) and their Spring Break for 2014 is March 17-21. Northside ISD (largest ISD in San Antonio) is March 10-14. The college where I teach at (Northwest Vista in San Antonio) and the university where I am taking classes (University of Incarnate Word) have not released calendars that far out (as far as I could tell).

So I guess it really depends where you live and work, just wanted to get this info out for those in the San Antonio area

Archived