Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Australia & New Zealand

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Default US $$ in Australia/New Zealand

Do these two countries accept the US Dollar? Will I need to get my money exchanged?

5 Star Mariner
LET'S BUILD A SHIP!!!

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

The hubby and I spent a week in Australia following a cruise last November, and have spent several weeks in New Zealand several years ago. Unlike cruises in the Caribbean you will need to exchange US dollars into the local currency. Just find an ATM.

Old June 3rd, 2012, 06:36 PM
Cool Cruiser

No, you won't be able to use US dollars down under. You also can't use Australian dollars in New Zealand or vice versa. Completely different countries/currencies, but we do all speak English - kinda

Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:00 PM
40,000+ Club

US$ are only accepted at banks and money exchanges in Australia and NZ

Old June 3rd, 2012, 09:20 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks! Novice to that area of the world.

5 Star Mariner
LET'S BUILD A SHIP!!!

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 4th, 2012, 03:16 AM
10,000+ Club

There are plenty of ATM's to obtain local currency.

Also, you may wish to know that it is not normal to tip, in Australia and New Zealand.

Old June 4th, 2012, 05:54 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruisinetta View Post
Do these two countries accept the US Dollar? Will I need to get my money exchanged?
My answer is a little different.

We found many places did accept USA dollars in both countries. But other places didn't take them.

I would still exchange USA currency into the local currency but just wanted to note that we have used USA currency from time to time in both countries.

Keith

Old June 4th, 2012, 08:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith1010 View Post
My answer is a little different.

We found many places did accept USA dollars in both countries. But other places didn't take them.

I would still exchange USA currency into the local currency but just wanted to note that we have used USA currency from time to time in both countries.

Keith
If you use US$ in these countries expect to get a dollar for dollar exchange at whatever service you use it at - not very smart. eg NZ$10 = USD7.50 but they will only accept your US$10. However, they will gladly accept your USD as a tip should you offer it.

Just Completed:
RCI Radiance of the Seas 29 Aug 2014 Alaska SB
RCI Radiance of the Seas 27 Jan 2014 7 night Tasmania
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 30 Nov 2013 12 night South Pacific
RCI Radiance of the Seas 19 Apr 2013 Transpacific 18 nights Sydney to Hawaii
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 11 Feb 2013 7 night Tasmania
RCI Radiance of the Seas 6 Mar 2012 17 night Australia/NZ our Anniversary Cruise
Cruise Review: Australia/NZ http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=100935.
http://tripwow.tripadvisor.com/tripw...5-77a2-b752?ln

Next Up:
RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 3 May 2015 14 night Asia & India Repo
RCI Legend of the Seas 20 Apr 2016 18 night Brisbane to Hong Kong

Old June 4th, 2012, 08:56 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassamanda View Post
If you use US$ in these countries expect to get a dollar for dollar exchange at whatever service you use it at - not very smart. eg NZ$10 = USD7.50 but they will only accept your US$10. However, they will gladly accept your USD as a tip should you offer it.
As I said, we did exchange money but in some places I actually used USA dollars and it was not as you had mentioned.

I got a reasonable exchange rate.

Keith

Old June 5th, 2012, 10:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

It always somewhat amazes me that people that live in the states (I live there, too) think the US$ will be accepted wheverever they travel. Do they think OZ/NZ$ will be accepted here...they aren't. It's only a polite consideration to the countries we visit that we exchange to their local currency upon arrival. Accepting US$ in most countries requires the person accepting it to go to their bank and make the exchange and pay the fees. Why put locals through that unless it's a country that readily accepts US$ and these become fewer as time goes on.

Old June 5th, 2012, 10:41 PM
10,000+ Club

On todays exchange rate ...
$ 10.00 US will get you $13.22 NZ

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

Old June 6th, 2012, 12:43 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgirl4242 View Post
It always somewhat amazes me that people that live in the states (I live there, too) think the US$ will be accepted wheverever they travel.
Sounds like the person was asking, not expecting.

Quote:
Why put locals through that unless it's a country that readily accepts US$ and these become fewer as time goes on.
And indeed for this reason. Perhaps we were a place that accepts them?

Foreign currency is just another form of currency like credit cards.

Not every place accepts those either, so people sometimes ask. Nothing wrong with that. Some businesses choose to accept credit cards to make it easier for customers to buy. Again, same with currency. Nothing wrong with that either.

Old June 6th, 2012, 05:20 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgirl4242 View Post
It always somewhat amazes me that people that live in the states (I live there, too) think the US$ will be accepted wheverever they travel. Do they think OZ/NZ$ will be accepted here...they aren't. It's only a polite consideration to the countries we visit that we exchange to their local currency upon arrival. Accepting US$ in most countries requires the person accepting it to go to their bank and make the exchange and pay the fees. Why put locals through that unless it's a country that readily accepts US$ and these become fewer as time goes on.
Many people do not expect anything.

You will find in various countries that the USA dollar is widely accepted and in some countries it is actually preferred. While not the case in Australia and New Zealand there are many places that do accept it.

When we visit there we do exchange money but our goal is not to exchange too much that we have a lot left over. We also will use a credit card in many places as well to get optimal rates. With that said if we become concerned that we don't have enough local currency and we are someplace where we prefer not to use the credit card there have been times we have used USA currency in both countries. We don't demand its use and we understand if they don't accept it but the reality is several places do. So there are times we use it. The same is true for some other countries.

Keith

Old June 6th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

The Oz/NZ$ used to be very weak against the US$ but not any longer. the exchange rate has been at parity or better more recently which is good news for Aussies paying for their cruises in US$ but bad news for American visitors here and Aussie traders willing to accept US$ (of whom there are increasingly few). My advice to visitors hoping to use US$ is don't assume you will be able to. Obviously this doesn't apply to US credit cards.

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Currency

I am a New Zealander and I would say generally $US would not be accepted here for most shopping, taxis, transport etc. A few of the guides running tours would probably accept $US as a tip, if it was given, but tipping is not expected here.

I would advise changing $US to $NZ at any bank or in the main shopping centres where we have Travelex or using an ATM. Never use the on board ATMs on the ships terrible exchange rate. The use of Credit Cards here is widely accepted and very safe to use. I have to say I don't carry cash with me I use a Credit Card all the time.

The smallest note here is $5, most ATMs deal with amounts divided by $20.

So can withdraw $20, $40, $100 etc. Which would be dispensed in $20 notes.

General guide:
A coffee in a coffee shop approx in NZ$ $5. A cooked lunch in a nice cafe $20-$30 a head. Fish and chips from a take away bar $8-$10. Sandwich $3-$7.50 depending on shop and area. Hope this helps in some way to guide you on costs.

If you are looking to buy wine to take back on board with you all supermarkets here stock Alcohol.

Enjoy your visit to New Zealand

Old June 6th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Once again thanks for all the information. I did not expect these two countries to take our money. I was merely asking. As I said, I am new to leaving our part of the world, so I just wanted to know. I will gladly exchange my US$ for the local currency. Thanks again.

5 Star Mariner
LET'S BUILD A SHIP!!!

Old June 6th, 2012, 04:52 PM
10,000+ Club

Just another little tip....
If you choose to use to the ATM machines in AU/NZ to take out local currency, just take out a small amount, and use it again if more is needed.
That way you will get small denomination notes and not have the hassle of trying to use , say a $100 note.

P&O...12
Princess...11
HAL ...4
Norwegian Capricorn ... 3
RCCL ...2
Cunard ...2
Star Cruises ... 2
Regent Seven Seas ...2
NCL ...1

Don't be afraid to go out on a limb ... Thats where the fruit is.

Old June 6th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Kruzer View Post
Just another little tip....
If you choose to use to the ATM machines in AU/NZ to take out local currency, just take out a small amount, and use it again if more is needed.
That way you will get small denomination notes and not have the hassle of trying to use , say a $100 note.
ATM's in Oz charge a fee for use by people other than their own customers - usually $2 per use. Not a deal breaker but it annoys some people. I remember when you could specify from a menu which denominations you wanted - no way now this happens. I solve the small note problem by always asking for (eg) $240, which will usually give you 4 X $50 notes plus 2 x $20. In the ATM's I use $100 notes are rare. They do not seem to offer $10 notes anymore so $230 is not an acceptable amount. Unfortunately $50 notes in these days are no longer considered a big note.

Colleen

Old June 6th, 2012, 06:54 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm66 View Post
I solve the small note problem by always asking for (eg) $240, which will usually give you 4 X $50 notes plus 2 x $20. In the ATM's I use $100 notes are rare. They do not seem to offer $10 notes anymore so $230 is not an acceptable amount.
Actually it would be accepted. You'd get 3 x $50 + 4 x $20.

Old June 6th, 2012, 07:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Big_M View Post
Actually it would be accepted. You'd get 3 x $50 + 4 x $20.
Excellent - you should try out for a guest spot on Letters and Numbers!

Colleen