Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Europe > Mediterranean - Eastern & Western > Greece Ports

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Greece Ports Athens, Corfu, Crete, Katakolon, Limassol, Mykonos, Rhodes, Santorini, Volos

Old June 5th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Ferry from Oia to Fira(port)

We are hoping to ride the donkey's up to Fira and then head over to Oia. Instead of taking a bus or taxi back, does anyone know if there is a ferry or boat that will take you back?

Celebrity Reflection Feb 2014 ~ Caribbean
Celebrity Summit Aug 2013 ~ Bermuda
Celebrity Reflection Jan 2013 ~ Caribbean
WindStar Sept 2012 ~ Athens to Istanbul ~ Review http://mutiwindstar.shutterfly.com
WindSpirit Jan 2012 ~ Windward Islands
Caribbean ~ Celebrity Solstice 2010 ~ NCL Dawn 2008 ~ Celebrity Summit 2008 ~ Cunard Queen Mary 2008
Celebrity Summit 2007 ~ Disney Wonder 2004 ~ Disney Wonder 2003 ~ Carnival Fascination 2002

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 5th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by themutis View Post
We are hoping to ride the donkey's up to Fira and then head over to Oia. Instead of taking a bus or taxi back, does anyone know if there is a ferry or boat that will take you back?
Have been several times, but have never heard of such a thing. I'm sure you could maybe be able to hire someone (mind you, it would be from the port of Ammoudi, which, like at Fira, is FAR below the cliff-top town of Oia), but at a price.

Old June 5th, 2012, 03:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

Numbersix is correct. Believe you me, I researched thoroughly. No Ferry. That being said, we did charter a boat and have 12 of our roll call members sailing together from Ammoudi port just below Oia to Fira where the tenders dock. The cost pp is @17 euro and includes a 2 hour tour.

Check out this thread for more information: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1636602

Celebrity Silhouette-Adriatic-11/13
Celebrity Constellation-4 nite mini-cruise to Key West and Cozumel-1/13
Celebrity Silhouette-Eastern Med-6/12
Celebrity Equinox-Central America-12/11
Celebrity Eclipse-Baltics-6/10
Norwegian Pearl-Alaska-8/08

William Clay Ford-Duluth to Detroit-8/86

Old June 13th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by numbersix View Post
Have been several times, but have never heard of such a thing. I'm sure you could maybe be able to hire someone (mind you, it would be from the port of Ammoudi, which, like at Fira, is FAR below the cliff-top town of Oia), but at a price.
When we were in Santorini in May, we saw signs at the Fira Port offering 20-minute fast boat transfers to Oia for 20 euros pp. That included a bus transfer from Ammoudi Port up to Oia, 90 minutes free time in Oia, and a bus ride back to Fira.

At sea for 517 days with Princess (463), Royal Caribbean (19), Holland America (14), Costa (7), Celebrity (7) and Commodore (7)
Last Cruise:Grand Princess "Mexico: RT San Francisco" 03/05/14 B2B with "California Coastal: RT San Francisco" 03/15/14
Next Cruise: Ruby Princess "Canada/New England: Quebec City - NYC" 10/02/14
Future Cruise: Ocean Princess "Asia/Africa: Singapore - Cape Town" 04/03/15

Old June 14th, 2012, 11:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Huh! Both options, Carolyn's, and TMLAalum, look attractive, and I wish they were available when we were there last. Given that, for most, certainly for first timers to Santorini, the big attraction is to see Oia, it's puzzling that it took so long for the local entrepreneurs to catch on, and cater to that crowd.

Keep in mind, that each option saves one E5 cable car ticket, thereby making the cost of each E5 cheaper!

Old June 14th, 2012, 05:54 PM
10,000+ Club

Perhaps we should try to put Oia and Fira (or Thira) in perspective. Once upon a time the major island city of Fira was absolutely charming. Fira is still charming but many folks are not pleased that the city is wall to wall shops, cafes, etc. So then somebody got the idea to promote Oia (we have been going there for about thirty years) which is somewhat more quiet and not quite as touristy as Fira. But alas, now Oia is becoming more and more like Fira with plenty of shops (and not enough cafes). We must admit that we prefer to run over to Fira (were just there in early May) in order to escape the crowds of Fira...but for shopping Fira is certainly king. One hassle involving Oia is that the local bus that runs between Fira and Oia does not run as often as one would expect. Many times of the day it is only about once an hour when they should probably run a bus every 15 min.

Hank

Old June 15th, 2012, 01:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboyle View Post
When we were in Santorini in May, we saw signs at the Fira Port offering 20-minute fast boat transfers to Oia for 20 euros pp. That included a bus transfer from Ammoudi Port up to Oia, 90 minutes free time in Oia, and a bus ride back to Fira.
Carolyn,
Do you happen to know the name of the company? I will be there in October and would love that option to get to Oia.

Thanks

Old June 21st, 2012, 04:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Me too, Carolyn. I am also going to be there in October and this sounds like the perfect way to do it.

Old June 22nd, 2012, 08:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrc View Post
Carolyn,
Do you happen to know the name of the company? I will be there in October and would love that option to get to Oia.

Thanks
I looked at the photo John took of the sign. It says Dakoutros Bros J.V.

This is not something you have to book ahead; just look for the sign when you get off the tender.

At sea for 517 days with Princess (463), Royal Caribbean (19), Holland America (14), Costa (7), Celebrity (7) and Commodore (7)
Last Cruise:Grand Princess "Mexico: RT San Francisco" 03/05/14 B2B with "California Coastal: RT San Francisco" 03/15/14

Old June 22nd, 2012, 09:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

This is not something you have to book ahead; just look for the sign when you get off the tender.
Thank you Carolyn. I found their web site

http://www.santorini-volcano-tours.com/en/

Judi

Old June 23rd, 2012, 03:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamrc View Post
Thank you Carolyn. I found their web site

http://www.santorini-volcano-tours.com/en/

Judi
I didn't know you were looking for a volcano tour; there are plenty of those available right at the Old Port too --- there is no need to reserve ahead of time.

On our recent cruise, we took the tour that stops at the volcano, hot springs, and Thirasia; that one is 28 euros pp plus 2 euros pp for the volcano entrance fee. The other tour stops at the volcano and hot springs; that one is 20 euros pp plus 2 euros pp for the volcano entrance fee. There are several companies doing these tours and they all charge the same price.

Last edited by cboyle; June 23rd, 2012 at 03:49 PM.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 06:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Not looking for

Quote:
I didn't know you were looking for a volcano tour; there are plenty of those available right at the Old Port too --- there is no need to reserve ahead of time.

On our recent cruise, we took the tour that stops at the volcano, hot springs, and Thirasia; that one is 28 euros pp plus 2 euros pp for the volcano entrance fee. The other tour stops at the volcano and hot springs; that one is 20 euros pp plus 2 euros pp for the volcano entrance fee. There are several companies doing these tours and they all charge the same price.
volcano tour, but when I did search for Them, that is their web address. Already sent off email about transfers only to and from Oia by boat, and if they return after sunset at about 8:30/9:00
We have a tour guide scheduled for the island to see other sites and after I find out about the boat times, I can then email our local guide if he can meet us in Oia instead. I am just trying all options to see as much as possible in least amount of time we have.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

IAMRC,
Would you share who you are using as a guide and how you found him/her? Thanks.

Old June 23rd, 2012, 08:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Have your tried to go to Oia and back and tried to get another boat to the valcano without all the side trips? Does this boat taxi pick you up and leave you off right there at the dock? Would it be smarter to come back and walk around Fira then get back on our ship? We will be on Celebrity Solstice and will be in port from 9:00a to 7p. Inquiring minds want to know! LOL

Old June 23rd, 2012, 11:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by firststeps View Post
IAMRC,
Would you share who you are using as a guide and how you found him/her? Thanks.

http://www.toursbylocals.com/find_guide&area=530

they are also recommended and used by Viator..they are licensed.

Judi

Old June 24th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdodge1 View Post
Have your tried to go to Oia and back and tried to get another boat to the valcano without all the side trips? Does this boat taxi pick you up and leave you off right there at the dock? Would it be smarter to come back and walk around Fira then get back on our ship? We will be on Celebrity Solstice and will be in port from 9:00a to 7p. Inquiring minds want to know! LOL
Check out the site Iamrc posted (http://www.santorini-volcano-tours.c...sea-excursions). It shows a tour that only goes to the volcano for 15 euros pp plus 2 euros pp for the volcano entrance fee.

However, that tour starts at 11:45 a.m. and returns at 2:00 p.m. I do not know the schedule for the fast boats, but you would probably would not have enough time to visit Oia first.

Hope that helps!

Old June 24th, 2012, 05:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

thanks for the information on toursbylocals. I have contacted them...

Old July 3rd, 2012, 12:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were on a boat trip from Ammoudi Bay (base of Oia) back to the tender spot in Fira. It was a 2 hour tour around the island and it was 200 euro for up to 12 people. We had people from our roll call to join us and it was the best 20 euro pp we spent! Boat ride - 20 euro, missing the cable car backup - priceless!

http://www.santorini.com/sailing/anemos-boat//
Diamond Princess - Alaska June 2011
Celebrity Silhouette - E. Mediterranean June 2012

Last edited by account4fun; July 3rd, 2012 at 12:38 PM.