Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old June 7th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Cannot believe this - cruise overbooked!!

We booked on the Monarch of the Seas 10 days ago and today (4 days before we sail) RCCL called to say that they apologize but they have overbooked this cruise so we have 3 choices.
1. Cruise on same date but out of Miami on the Majesty for an upgrade to oceanview plus $100 OBC
2. Cruise on Monarch but on another date for upgrade to oceanview plus $100 OBC
3. Full refund.

Well DH can only get off this coming week so that narrowed our choices down but it sucks that we now have a 4 and a half hour drive (one way) as opposed to a 2 hour drive (one way).

I guess this is how RCCL treats loyal Emerald customers ..... this makes us rethink our cruise future with the company.

Upcoming:
Brilliance of the Seas (Transatlantic) 05/04/2015
Brilliance of the Seas (Scandinavia & Russia) 05/18/2015

Completed:
Tropicale (Western Caribbean), Sea Princess (Alaska), Century (Eastern Caribbean), Maasdam (Western Caribbean), Ocean Princess (Mexican Riveira, Panama Canal Repositioning), Infinity (Hawaii), Golden Princess (Eastern Caribbean), Grand Princess (Western Caribbean), Disney Wonder (Bahamas), Diamond Princess (Alaska), Star Princess (Eastern Caribbean), Legend of the Seas (EB Transatlantic), Caribbean Princess (Eastern Caribbean), Sun Princess (Mexican Riveira, Panama Canal Repositioning), Millennium (Mediterranean) (2x), Carnival Legend (Western Caribbean), Mariner of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) (Mexican Riviera) (2x), Emerald Princess (Eastern Caribbean), Emerald Princess (Southern Caribbean), Radiance of the Seas (Western Caribbean) (2x), Jewel of the Seas (Western Caribbean) Radiance of the Seas (Sydney, Australia to Hawaii) Majesty of the Seas (Bahamas) Freedom of the Seas (Western Caribbean) Jewel of the Seas (New England/Canada) Jewel of the Seas (Repositioning) Carnival Paradise (Western Caribbean) Royal Princess (Eastern Caribbean)

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 7th, 2012, 09:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

You can probably talk them into a little more OBC if that will make you happy.

Past Cruises:
Jan. 2014 - Celebrity Equinox
May 2013 - Grand Princess (10 day Alaska from San Francisco)
Feb. 2012 - Ryndam
April 2011 - Radiance of the Seas (15 day Reposition - Panama Canal)
Feb. 2010 - Emerald Princess
Feb. 2009 - Caribbean Princess
Jan. 2008 - Adventure of the Seas
June 2007 - Mariner of the Seas
July 2002 - Explorer of the Seas
Feb. 1996 - Song of America

Old June 7th, 2012, 09:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've not heard of them overbooking before. We've had 3 cruises cancelled due to the ship being put in drydock for work each time. But we were notified with more notice than 4 days.

If it were me, I'd still go. On all ours, we were never offered an upgrade. We were offered more on the shipboard credit, plus they covered our change air frees. Hey, maybe you could talk the resolutions department into covering the extra gas it will take to go to the other departure port.

Good luck!!

Cruise Pictures:
http://cherylhtravelpics.shutterfly.com/

Old June 7th, 2012, 10:16 PM
5,000+ Club

Zebra -- I'm confused...

If you booked ten days ago, did RC give you a specific cabin number, or did you just book a cabin category "guarantee"? If you paid a deposit, and booked a specific cabin -- how could RC turn around and kick you out of it?

Like Cheryl H, we have had a cruise pulled, due to an unscheduled dry-dock -- but we were notified months in advance. Good luck on getting this resolved.

Old June 8th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

You didn't list option 4.....stay on the cruise you paid in full on !! They can't kick you off....Princess does this all the time and they always offer "option#4".......people can't always move.
We need to hear why you *have* to move....they'll find somebody that wants to move

Old June 8th, 2012, 12:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

When you booked did you get a cabin number?? If so, I would say I booked cabin # so and so. Are there no cabins available at all? Seems odd they would overbook.

Old June 8th, 2012, 03:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Haha - compared to our 13 hour flight to get to our cruise - a 4 and a half hour drive sounds like a dream!!! BUT pretty ****ty thing to do none the same!!

Sailed Radiance on 3rd August 2012 to Alaska

Sailing Pacific Pearl on 18th May 2013 for Food and Wine Cruise

Old June 8th, 2012, 06:39 AM
10,000+ Club

I've been reading this a lot lately (overbooking). I don't understand how they overbook accidentally. Don't the computers keep track of the inventory left

Old June 8th, 2012, 06:43 AM
Cool Cruiser

Gee what would happen if you already bought plane tickets? I wouldnt be able to switch to another date or anotehr port...tell them to upgrade you to a suite or find another unhappy cruiser to move. How unfair...

Norwegian Breakaway - March 9th, 2014 <--- Make up cruise for my being sick on Xmas cruise

Norwegian Epic - December 21, 2013

Freedom of the Seas - August 25th, 2013

Disney Fantasy - February 9th, 2013

Oasis of the Seas - Sept 29th, 2012

Oasis of the Seas - April 14th, 2012

Allure of the Seas - August 28th, 2011

Allure of the Seas - December 5th, 2010

Freedom of the Seas - February 14th, 2010

Adventure of the Seas - August 23rd, 2009 <--- Met our Cruising Buddies!!!

Liberty of the Seas - August 30th, 2008

Explorer of the Seas - December 14th, 2004

Enchantment of the Seas - December 10th, 2000 <--- We got married on this one!!!!

Old June 8th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

A four and half hour journey instead of a two hour doesn't seem like the end of the world to me. They are offering an upgrade as compensation. Personally I think they were a little mean in the amount of OBC I am sure they could have done a little better than that. Maybe a cabin upgrade, 300 OBc and dinner vouchers? That seems fair to me for the extra travelling. If its the only time you can get off work then it would be a shame to miss your holiday
Good luck x

Old June 8th, 2012, 06:47 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowfurbaby View Post
A four and half hour journey instead of a two hour doesn't seem like the end of the world to me.
Not the end of the world, but a big inconvenience.

Old June 8th, 2012, 07:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Heck it is a bit of a PITA but you still get to cruise and for a little longer drive you get an upgrade and some OBC . I'd take it specially since it was a last minute deal . If I had planned it a year in advance and was so excited about the ports and had done tons of planning I could see how it would be a big deal but in this case I'd still be happy!
Not that it is a perfect situation but maybe it is a hidden silver cloud??

Old June 8th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Super Moderator

Overbooking happens all the time with airlines. While it's not a regular occurrence with ships, they do the same thing as the airlines. They know a certain percentage, on average, cancel a cruise so they overbook to cover that percentage (they are called guarantees as others have referred to). When cancellations don't materialize they can be overbooked. I bet this happens most often on the short run cruises. They are trying to fill every cabin on every cruise so they factoring cancellation rates into the reservations they accept.

Zebra ~ bigeagle is right. Ask for a big more in OBC. It's going to cost you more in gas to drive to Miami and probably more to park. If they "cancel" you, a "full refund" as an option isn't really compensating you and the $100 OBC for sailing on Majesty might not even cover the extra expense you are going to incur driving to and from Miami.

Good luck and I hope you can enjoy the cruise should you decide to go.

Old June 8th, 2012, 07:34 AM
10,000+ Club

Monarch seems to be getting busy since its retirement was announced. It has quite a following, but perhaps they should have kicked off a lowly gold who booked 1 year ago to accommodate the Emerald who booked 10 days ago?

2nd cruise - 5/11/07 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas.
3rd cruise - 4/27/08 Freedom of the Seas -Western Caribbean. Freedom's 100th cruise!
4th cruise - 4/16/09 Navigator of the Seas - Cozumel/Belize.
5th cruise 11/15/10 Majesty of the Seas - Key West Nassau.
6th cruise -5/1/11 Allure of the Seas Eastern route 30th anniversary cruise

7th cruise 4/14/12 Jewel of the Seas Cozumel Costa Maya
8th cruise 4/28/13 Allure of the Seas Eastern route

9th cruise 10/28/13 Majesty of the Seas
10th cruise 5/3/14 Jewel of the Seas Southern Caribbean
56 great night's sleep
3 for 3 at making CoCo Cay

95% diamond -

Old June 8th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

If you do not like any of the listed options, tell them so. The cruiseline can make to offer to another Florida (ie close enough to drive) person. Some other person will get this oversell call and negotiate it into something that makes them happy (maybe an even better room...maybe a longer cruise) when they happily leave, the cruiseline will have space for you...

It is rare for them to overbook, especially when they were still selling cabins days ago. perhaps a mishap is taking some cabins out of use?

Old June 8th, 2012, 07:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Tell us the rest of the story
What are you gonna do?? I'd make them up the OBC...definitley
Good Luck!!

Old June 8th, 2012, 07:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkd View Post
Haha - compared to our 13 hour flight to get to our cruise - a 4 and a half hour drive sounds like a dream!!! BUT pretty ****ty thing to do none the same!!
Have to think the same thing. I would love to only have a 4 1/2 drive to any cruise port. Flights are the only way for my family of four $$$$. Our closest port of is in New Jersey....which is a 12-13 hour drive.
RCI Oasis of the Seas 08/10
RCI Explorer of the Seas 06/11
Carnival Dream 08/11
RCI Liberty of the Seas 12/11
RCI Allure of the Seas 06/12
Carnival Breeze 12/12 (New Years Cruise)
RCI Liberty of the Seas 02/13 (GS)
Carnival Breeze 08/13
Carnival Dream 12/13 (New Years Cruise)
RCI Freedom of the Seas 07/14 (OS)

Upcoming:

Old June 8th, 2012, 07:59 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabatsea View Post
Overbooking happens all the time with airlines. While it's not a regular occurrence with ships, they do the same thing as the airlines. They know a certain percentage, on average, cancel a cruise so they overbook to cover that percentage (they are called guarantees as others have referred to). When cancellations don't materialize they can be overbooked. I bet this happens most often on the short run cruises. They are trying to fill every cabin on every cruise so they factoring cancellation rates into the reservations they accept.

Zebra ~ bigeagle is right. Ask for a big more in OBC. It's going to cost you more in gas to drive to Miami and probably more to park. If they "cancel" you, a "full refund" as an option isn't really compensating you and the $100 OBC for sailing on Majesty might not even cover the extra expense you are going to incur driving to and from Miami.

Good luck and I hope you can enjoy the cruise should you decide to go.
Thanks so much for your intelligent reply. Yes we had booked a guarantee 10 days ago because we were told that is all that they had available. As you say we now have double the mileage to do (2 tanks of gas in my little car for the roundtrip) plus parking at POM is $20 per day .... daylight robbery. I am still very surprised that this is how they reward loyalty to their product ......

Upcoming:
Brilliance of the Seas (Transatlantic) 05/04/2015
Brilliance of the Seas (Scandinavia & Russia) 05/18/2015

Completed:
Tropicale (Western Caribbean), Sea Princess (Alaska), Century (Eastern Caribbean), Maasdam (Western Caribbean), Ocean Princess (Mexican Riveira, Panama Canal Repositioning), Infinity (Hawaii), Golden Princess (Eastern Caribbean), Grand Princess (Western Caribbean), Disney Wonder (Bahamas), Diamond Princess (Alaska), Star Princess (Eastern Caribbean), Legend of the Seas (EB Transatlantic), Caribbean Princess (Eastern Caribbean), Sun Princess (Mexican Riveira, Panama Canal Repositioning), Millennium (Mediterranean) (2x), Carnival Legend (Western Caribbean), Mariner of the Seas (Eastern Caribbean) (Mexican Riviera) (2x), Emerald Princess (Eastern Caribbean), Emerald Princess (Southern Caribbean), Radiance of the Seas (Western Caribbean) (2x), Jewel of the Seas (Western Caribbean) Radiance of the Seas (Sydney, Australia to Hawaii) Majesty of the Seas (Bahamas) Freedom of the Seas (Western Caribbean) Jewel of the Seas (New England/Canada) Jewel of the Seas (Repositioning) Carnival Paradise (Western Caribbean) Royal Princess (Eastern Caribbean)

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:04 AM
5,000+ Club

They overbooked my Freedom cruise and were calling people from FL offering them a cruise on the same date on Allure of the Seas with OBC and an upgrade. Some in our roll call took the offer and I would have to.

If I lived in FL and it was "only" 4.5 hour drive I would gladly take their OBC offer and the upgrade. The Majesty is a little better ship if for no other reason than the Compass Deli and Johhny Rockets and its a little newer.

I just dont see how this is so upsetting, especially for a central FL resident, that it would make me think my future with RCI? I believe I would hit them up for a little more OBC to compensate for the extra gas and extra parking costs though

Carnival Holiday - 6/08
Royal Caribbean Monarch of the Seas - 5/10
Royal Caribbean Radiance of the Seas - 2/11
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas - 4/12

Last edited by ryano; June 8th, 2012 at 08:09 AM.

Old June 8th, 2012, 08:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by marci22 View Post
Not the end of the world, but a big inconvenience.
Yes an inconvenience I understand. But you can still go with a cabin upgrade and some OBC to spend. Sounds worth a couple of extra hours travelling to me. As I said good luck. I would be upset too as none of us want anything to go wrong with precious holiday time but it sounds like you could end up coming off better off. I personally think a cabin upgrade worth 2 extra hours travelling x